Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

5 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

That is an amazing concept and I hate that I already know Lee Van Cleef as a ninja is nowhere near as cool as it could be because most 80s TV sucked at fight scenes.

If you would like to see how well it was executed, four episodes were packaged together as movies, Master Ninja and Master Ninja II, and both were featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Edited by Matt_Black
  • Like 1

I have loved Last of Us so far, but the first game is also one of my all time favorite narratives so I'm obviously bias. Bella Ramsey is killing it and Pedro is as amazing as always. 

Unrelated to Last of Us, but I've been watching the latest Transformers cartoon Transformers: EarthSpark. It's aimed at a younger audience, but it's sort of a sequel to the G1 era. Some genders have changed though, like Skywarp is a femme bot. She's not a major part of the show at all. Actually, none of the Seekers are major parts which is a disappoint as Starscream is my all time favorite TF.

17 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

If you would like to see how well it was executed, four episodes were packaged together as movies, Master Ninja and Master Ninja II, and both were featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Oh I am all over that! Can't believe I never watched those episodes of MST3K

8 hours ago, The Swanton825 said:

Oh I am all over that! Can't believe I never watched those episodes of MST3K

Both available to purchase in the new Gizmoplex streaming service! (I got both as part of one of the Kickstarter bundles, though I can't remember if it was the initial one, the second one, or one of the upgrades when they made the stretch goals.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 7:53 PM, The Swanton825 said:

I highly recommend the Space Mutiny episode. I laughed so hard at the riffs AND the movie that my ribs hurt the rest of the day.

Watched most of it but it didnt seem that awful or funny. Couple of laughs though, especially the bumper car segments. 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:37 PM, milamber said:

I disagree. Last of Us S1 is a travel show with very few recurring characters. Despite that most of the side characters have been memorable even with limited screen time, IMO. That's down to the quality writing and acting.

I am not sure "travel show" would be the right definition for The Last of Us.  A travel show is a travel documentary along the lines of,  An Idiot Abroad (Which was great) or the show that Anthony Bourdain used to host.  The Last of Us is more in line with something like Route 66 or Kung Fu.  Both of which would fall into the Action-Adventure genre.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:10 PM, milamber said:

Also basically any medical/crime drama with cases of the week, except they have large casts with ongoing character arcs rather than just the 2 main characters.

I am not sure how any of this is germane to anything I talked about.  What do medical/crime dramas have to do with a post-apocalyptic show?  Was it because I brought up Line of Duty?  If that is the case, then that is a very poor example.  Line of Duty has many recurring secondary characters, even some who show up on multiple seasons such as Terry Boyle and Ryan (Just two off the top of my head). 

Still, as I said, I fail to see how your post is germane to anything I said.

On to a different topic.  I finally got to watch all of Dark.  I thought the first season was great but the show got progressively worse in the second and third seasons.  Overall, I thought it was a good show, had they stopped at the first season it would have been great.

There is also this show on HBO Max called Rain Dogs that is hilarious.  If you have kids, I would not allow them to watch it because it deals with some very adult themes, but the show is really good.

• 5 months later...
35 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

I'm not huge on One Piece (besides the 4Kids theme being a guilty pleasure of mine, just like the Dragon Ball GT dub theme) and the show's length is a real barrier to entry for me. Is the Netflix show a decent starting point for newbies?

Newly huge one piece fan I started watching it with my kids about a year and a half ago. We’re 2 episodes into the live action and loving it. While you definitely get way more out of it being a fan I think they’ve done a great job keep the spirit of the anime/manga while making the live action it’s own thing if that makes sense. Live action changes some things around expands on some things while giving the same general plot of the first 45 episodes or so. If you watch the live action and enjoy it Netflix has a good chunk of the anime and even lists tv original on certain sections which you can skip as they’re all filler. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished the Netflix One Piece and I have to say I'm stunned by how committed the production team was to keeping the look of the series as intact as possible. I'm not used to anime adaptations being unashamed of their source material! Where's the awkward rewrites to add more grim darkness, or characters who look nothing like who they're supposed to be? You're telling me this is possible with live action adaptations of anime made outside of Japan?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

Finished the Netflix One Piece and I have to say I'm stunned by how committed the production team was to keeping the look of the series as intact as possible. I'm not used to anime adaptations being unashamed of their source material! Where's the awkward rewrites to add more grim darkness, or characters who look nothing like who they're supposed to be? You're telling me this is possible with live action adaptations of anime made outside of Japan?

One Piece creator Oda was heavily involved with the production of the live action. They actually utilized the creator instead of trying to do it on their own! It's a miracle! Hopefully, going forward more live action adaptations are as respectful of their source material. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

One Piece creator Oda was heavily involved with the production of the live action. They actually utilized the creator instead of trying to do it on their own! It's a miracle! Hopefully, going forward more live action adaptations are as respectful of their source material. 

I can't wait for them to balance this out with the likely awful Avatar: The Last Airbender show they're doing. Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is a perfect choice for Iroh, I'll give them that.

Now someone get me a live action Code Geass that fixes the terrible second season!

4 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

I can't wait for them to balance this out with the likely awful Avatar: The Last Airbender show they're doing. Paul Sun-Hyung Lee is a perfect choice for Iroh, I'll give them that.

Now someone get me a live action Code Geass that fixes the terrible second season!

I want a live action Guyver series. I watched the live action movie from the 90s recently and it was stupid fun, but I'd prefer something that followed the manga. 

Big O would be an incredible visual treat though if done properly. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

I want a live action Guyver series. I watched the live action movie from the 90s recently and it was stupid fun, but I'd prefer something that followed the manga. 

OH MY GOD SOMEBODY BESIDES ME REMEMBERS THE BIG O!!! That and Batman Beyond made the best one-two punch of action shows on Cartoon Network when I was a kid!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

OH MY GOD SOMEBODY BESIDES ME REMEMBERS THE BIG O!!! That and Batman Beyond made the best one-two punch of action shows on Cartoon Network when I was a kid!

Batman Beyond and Shadowruns for Sega Genesis introduced me to the cyberpunk genre and then I later discovered William Gibson and just wow. Big O and Batman Beyond both had the neo noir elements to them. A certain hard boiled aspect. Plus the soundtracks were just INCREDIBLE. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaysin said:

I’d sell my kids for a live action Guyver that follows the manga