Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

Seeing Timothy Olyphant in Mando and Book of Boba Fett made me want to revisit Justified. I only ever saw the first season back when it originally aired and then never got around to finishing it. Only a few episodes in, but Olyphant is like perfect in the role of cowboys no matter the setting. I think I'll finally check out Deadwood after I finish Justified. Reacher is on my radar as well.

Definitely check out Deadwood, in my top 5 TV shows, fantastic performances from Olyphant, McShane etc

soooooo.....I collect TV series complete DVD sets. I've been re-watching "Chuck"...It's like 007 James Bond with comedy thrown in...forgot how good the show was and how hot the CIA handler was

Not going to lie, she was the entire reason why I started watching Chuck in the first place. I saw her in a commercial for the show and was like, "My god she's beautiful. I have to watch this show." Which I am glad I did because I thought Chuck was a great show.

Sitcoms, in general, are no longer appealing to me Chuck and My Name is Earl were the last two network sitcoms that I really enjoyed. There are other non-network sitcoms that I enjoy but for the most part, I look at it as a dying genre.

Edited to add: I loved the current season of the Boys but I felt the final episode was a huge letdown after how great the rest of the season was.

• 1 month later...

Once again, I am extremely late to the hype train on something. I finally watched Arcane and, speaking as someone who hates League of Legends with a passion and also much prefers 2D animation, this show is quite possibly one of the all-time best animated series! From start to finish I was enthralled by the gorgeous, flowing animation, fantastic worldbuilding and brilliantly written characters. Between this, Castlevania, Invincible and Love, Death & Robots, I finally have hope that serious animation can be successful outside of arthouse cinema and anime circles.

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Harley Quinn has been bonkers this season. It's such a fun take on the Batman mythos. 

On the topic of Batman mythos, Batman the Brave and the Bold is still one of the best comic book cartoons ever. 

Teen Titans and the Justice League duet of cartoons are all perfection to me.

• 1 month later...

Finished my latest foray into Disney+. Enjoyed getting caught up with the Marvel things, but can't quite justify another £7.99 to watch the finale of She Hulk. I actually really like the show. I love getting lighter, low-consequence stories in the MCU, and I love that the episodes are more self-contained and gimmicky than the tired "one long movie" approach... but a by-product of that is I'm not on the edge of my seat desperate to see the last episode either. The team up in the penultimate episode was awesome though. 

Also really liked Moon Knight. Way more than I thought I would. It had acting. I don't think I've actually seen Oscar Isaac in anything that wasn't a Star War before. I guess he is good.

Speaking of, why isn't Star Wars fun any more? Boba Fett bored me enough to quit after two episodes, I tapped out of Andor after four, and I only got through Obi Wan because I like Ewan McGregor. Everything is so dry and serious and flat. 

Only Murders in the Building series two was also pretty fun. I dug it. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 12:30 AM, BHK1978 said:

Not going to lie, she was the entire reason why I started watching Chuck in the first place. I saw her in a commercial for the show and was like, "My god she's beautiful. I have to watch this show." Which I am glad I did because I thought Chuck was a great show.

Sitcoms, in general, are no longer appealing to me Chuck and My Name is Earl were the last two network sitcoms that I really enjoyed. There are other non-network sitcoms that I enjoy but for the most part, I look at it as a dying genre.

Edited to add: I loved the current season of the Boys but I felt the final episode was a huge letdown after how great the rest of the season was.

Sorry. Just saw this reply. I totally agree about sitcoms and most TV in general. I would much rather watch old shows, even though I've already seen them, than most of the newer shows. It's almost all reality or contest shows. Just cause I'm bored...here's a list of my TV DVD sets (complete series).
3rd Rock From The Sun, ALF, Archer, Baywatch, Beavis & Butt-head, Cheers, Chuck, Coach, Entourage, Fresh Prince, Friends, Full House, Fuller House, Home Improvement, House, MacGyver, Married With Children, Metalocalypse, Roseanne, Sanford & Son, Saved By The Bell (one of my fav shows), Seinfeld, Sliders, Sons Of Anarchy, That 70s Show, Wings, The Wonder Years. I also have some shows I've only partially collected each season. The Office, The Walking Dead (first few seasons, lost interest) and Rick & Morty are my favs from those. I recommend pretty much all those shows to anyone! Most of these are TV Classic Gold. A few are just some shows I discovered and fell in love with or had a hard time catching episodes (namely Entourage).

1 hour ago, Self said:

Finished my latest foray into Disney+. Enjoyed getting caught up with the Marvel things, but can't quite justify another £7.99 to watch the finale of She Hulk. I actually really like the show. I love getting lighter, low-consequence stories in the MCU, and I love that the episodes are more self-contained and gimmicky than the tired "one long movie" approach... but a by-product of that is I'm not on the edge of my seat desperate to see the last episode either. The team up in the penultimate episode was awesome though. 

Also really liked Moon Knight. Way more than I thought I would. It had acting. I don't think I've actually seen Oscar Isaac in anything that wasn't a Star War before. I guess he is good.

Speaking of, why isn't Star Wars fun any more? Boba Fett bored me enough to quit after two episodes, I tapped out of Andor after four, and I only got through Obi Wan because I like Ewan McGregor. Everything is so dry and serious and flat. 

Only Murders in the Building series two was also pretty fun. I dug it. 

I think The Mandalorian came out on fire and swinging and blew everyone away. So expectations were high for the rest of the series and some are meant to be more serious.

She-Hulk is fun. I'm really enjoying Rings of Power and Andor (which is already better than Obi-Wan and Boba Fett).

HOTD is my favorite show right now, especially after the last episode. Love Matt Smith and Paddy Considine deserves an Emmy.

Edited by milamber

She Hulk hasn’t been totally my cup of tea. Jen is not very likable, the first thing that happened that got me on her side was ‘the video’ getting revealed. But other than that, she’s been meh to me. I feel like the Disney + shows have moved downward in quality since Wandavision and Loki. I did enjoy Moon Knight and some of Ms Marvel. I still wanna know where White Vision is 😡

• Like 1

I think my favorite part of She-Hulk is the outrage over it from people who have clearly never read comics calling it a "disgrace" to the source material when it's probably one of the most accurate-to-the-comics TV shows around. Especially the dumb moments like the Megan Thee Stallion bit. The most popular runs of her solo series were filled to the brim with fanservice, sophomoric humor and about as many fourth wall breaks as Deadpool.

• Like 2

Haven't checked out a Disney+ Marvel series since Falcon and the Winter Soldier which I thought was alright but the ending was mishandled terribly. Out of all possible interesting directions they could have gone with related to US Agent, they chose the most predictable and boring conclusion possible. Also it did not feel like Bucky was a main character half of the time, the stuff they set up with him being a fish out of water returning from the blip goes nowhere and that was probably the best portion of the first few episodes to me. It had good acting which I appreciate as an actor myself who loves learning as he watches media but it didn't make me feel any urgency to continue consuming the MCU in its current state.

I really enjoyed WandaVision. It was a promising start to the slate but after now learning how they mishandled Wanda in the aftermath, it sucked all the goodwill out of the series to me and I will probably not rewatch it for a VERY long time.

Anyway, after slacking on Loki and skimming through some of the others (including What If which was probably the series I was most excited for before it actually came out) I just don't have the energy. Phase Four in general has declined in quality exponentially after the good, admittedly carried by nostalgia No Way Home which was one of the best movie theatre experiences I have ever had with friends. I have not cared to watch Eternals or the latest Thor. The movies I did watch outside of NWH, I thought were just meh. And that's the worst emotion a movie can get from a person. Apathy.

I don't know man. The only movie I'm remotely interested that's coming up is Guardians Volume 3 because I trust James Gunn (Peacemaker was SO much fun) and behind Spider-Man they're my favorite Marvel IP which is largely due to the movies. But that's already a Phase FIVE movie. How the hell does Disney expect me to be invested heading into Secret Wars with this overload of mediocrity in the setup movies? Nothing feels urgent to be watched. Not that every phase one and phase two movie were that way, but at least it was way easier to catch up even with the bad ones because there were not dozens upon dozens of them (and the series, of course.) plus the leadup to the first Avengers was special as that movie was a novelty for the time.

Can't comment on Star Wars as I have not watched anything related to it since Solo, which I really enjoyed (seems to be a hot take) but I could be biased as Woody Harrelson is my all-time favorite actor to watch and learn from. I have not even watched The Mandalorian because I have not the slightest clue what order I should watch each series in and which are worth being watched or not.

Still, Disney+ is my favorite streaming service simply due to Disney themselves and Pixar because I am just an eternal shill for their cartoons and will rewatch all of them periodically when I'm feeling like it. Literally everything other than Chicken Little because that movie is certified garbage and I am never coming within five feet of it again.

The Disney/Pixar series they churn out in there are usually way easier to binge through as the episodes are short. The Cars series was good fun, for instance. Definitely recommend checking the original cartoon series out.

Edited by Dawn

Apologies for the essay above, but I just went all-in on Disney+ related topics :p

I just want to conclude the night by saying House of the Dragon is the best thing on TV right now and it's making the mismanagement of late Game of Thrones more and more infuriating by each episode. I also second Paddy Considine being my favorite for the Emmy now. Absolute joy of an actor to watch.

Edited by Dawn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, falling_star said:

I absolutely love the new Beavis and Butt-Head... it's both updated and, somehow, exactly the same.

They came back a few years ago, too, for a season. I remember one episode when the Twilight (Eclipse in the show) series was popular. After thinking they could be cool and get girls they decide to become werewolves. They seek one out, instead, mistaking a homeless guy for one. They have him bite them and they end up all sick and everything with like hep c or something.
Question: Do they still make fun of music videos?

Edited by djskeemask

On 10/15/2022 at 1:22 AM, djskeemask said:

They came back a few years ago, too, for a season. I remember one episode when the Twilight (Eclipse in the show) series was popular. After thinking they could be cool and get girls they decide to become werewolves. They seek one out, instead, mistaking a homeless guy for one. They have him bite them and they end up all sick and everything with like hep c or something.
Question: Do they still make fun of music videos?

They make fun of Youtubers (some are music videos, but it can be anything). I barely recognize anyone they make fun of except for the Cold Steel guys (but that's because I have several of their weapons).

Edited by Kubikiri Asa
  • Like 1

Really enjoying the most recent season of Star Trek Lower Decks. 

I have one more episode of The Orville to watch, but the season has been stellar. 

Andor is incredible and probably the best Star Wars series so far. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them tho. 

I really need to finish Ms Marvel and start/finish She-Hulk. 

It's a shame Duncanville got cancelled as I really enjoyed it. I really hope Great North doesn't get canned too because Great North and Bob's Burgers is one of my favorite duos in tv.