Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

Thinking about starting Westworld. Any good? I've heard it starts slow, but I don't really care. Game of Thrones was slow too but that is (well was before the last season) my favorite series ever.

I like me some good characters in a well-built world.

Started Justin Roiland's(Rick and Morty co creator) new show Solar Opposites last night. Pretty much the same type of humor as Rick and Morty, but I love it.

The Wall subplot is so entertaining. I'd watch an entire show based on Wall adventures.

I know there used to be Survivor fans on here years ago, I am not sure if they are still around or not. If they are I was wondering how everyone felt about Tony winning Winners at War and how people felt about EOE.

Personally I was happy to see him win. I thought he played the best game out of anyone. Plus I cannot stand Natalie, going back to her days on The Amazing Race, so I was happy to see her lose. I felt Michelle should have gotten more votes in the finals and I wish she would have finished in second place.

I am not a fan of EOE, I hate the fact that someone can be the first voted out and still win the game. I hated it when Chris one the first EOE season as well.

I watched all ten episodes of Space Force today and yesterday and really enjoyed it. I don't understand how it's getting such bad reviews. I found it quite entertaining, but I'm also a huge Steve Carell fan so maybe I'm bias?

I really hope it gets a season two after the way season one ends.

Devs (Netflix) - Without giving anything away... because of the show's philosophy the plot is simple but meticulously plotted. The writers did a great job of making everything logical. The set design and lighting is some of the best I've ever seen. It's also only 1 short season so it's a quick watch.

Thinking about starting Westworld. Any good? I've heard it starts slow, but I don't really care. Game of Thrones was slow too but that is (well was before the last season) my favorite series ever.

I like me some good characters in a well-built world.

Watch it for sure, the first season of some of the best tension-building, keep you guessing television I've watched in ages. The characters are really well thought-out, one in particular stands out (that is played by 2 different actors). Quite the cast, though, and I love their ability to dive into a minor, previously un-met, character for an entire episode.

I know there used to be Survivor fans on here years ago, I am not sure if they are still around or not. If they are I was wondering how everyone felt about Tony winning Winners at War and how people felt about EOE.

Personally I was happy to see him win. I thought he played the best game out of anyone. Plus I cannot stand Natalie, going back to her days on The Amazing Race, so I was happy to see her lose. I felt Michelle should have gotten more votes in the finals and I wish she would have finished in second place.

I am not a fan of EOE, I hate the fact that someone can be the first voted out and still win the game. I hated it when Chris one the first EOE season as well.

EOE is not good. Not even a little. We have seen pretty much all there could be to see from it, positives-wise, and I'm good there. Never needed it, but I get it as a good lifeline to get big characters like Rob back onto the show (knowing he will be voted out guaranteed).

And then there is Tony. Someone I would've also said is to be voted out, guaranteed. Instead, he did it. To play at that level, for that length of the game, with such a high caliber opposition.. Greatest of All Time sounds accurate, at least as far as recency bias is concerned. :p Natalie's story was really shoe-horned in, it seemed. I didn't watch her on Amazing Race, but generally enjoy her just for the association with Jeremy both times she played. Love that guy. Agree on Michelle. Hated her coming into the season, and she came out with a big fan in me this time around. Every time something didn't go her way, I genuinely felt for her as I saw an honest thought process this time around. We never got that when she won (robbed Goddess Aubry) and I know I resented her all this time for that. Screamed in joy for her to kick down that puzzle for the second straight time trailing the entire challenge. I like her now. :p

If you're down, I'm a pretty big super fan so would easily be able to break down gameplay from pretty much everyone over the course of the entire season. If you're a fan like I am I figure that might be an appetizing proposition. :) Regardless, I'll say kudos to Denise this season (pre-merge), I really enjoyed Adam, my opinion Ben surprised me by getting even lower.. Hard boot to handle most weeks so overall it was a very enjoyable season. I think they have the advantage of it being such a quality season on paper, that it couldn't have shaken out terribly too often, if it were to play out repeatedly, in a vacuum. Yul Kwon was far and away my favorite to watch this season, what a welcome sight from the past that has been underutilized by casting. :D

I watched all ten episodes of Space Force today and yesterday and really enjoyed it. I don't understand how it's getting such bad reviews. I found it quite entertaining, but I'm also a huge Steve Carell fan so maybe I'm bias?

I really hope it gets a season two after the way season one ends.

Sad to hear about bad reviews, personally I can't get enough Ben Schwartz. :p

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27929" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I watched all ten episodes of Space Force today and yesterday and really enjoyed it. I don't understand how it's getting such bad reviews. I found it quite entertaining, but I'm also a huge Steve Carell fan so maybe I'm bias?<p> </p><p> I really hope it gets a season two after the way season one ends.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I thought it was okay. Steve Carell was good, but I'm not sure what tone it was trying for. Bumbling teams of underdogs successfully navigating space travel is a weird mix to me.</p>

EOE is not good. Not even a little. We have seen pretty much all there could be to see from it, positives-wise, and I'm good there. Never needed it, but I get it as a good lifeline to get big characters like Rob back onto the show (knowing he will be voted out guaranteed).

And then there is Tony. Someone I would've also said is to be voted out, guaranteed. Instead, he did it. To play at that level, for that length of the game, with such a high caliber opposition.. Greatest of All Time sounds accurate, at least as far as recency bias is concerned. :p Natalie's story was really shoe-horned in, it seemed. I didn't watch her on Amazing Race, but generally enjoy her just for the association with Jeremy both times she played. Love that guy. Agree on Michelle. Hated her coming into the season, and she came out with a big fan in me this time around. Every time something didn't go her way, I genuinely felt for her as I saw an honest thought process this time around. We never got that when she won (robbed Goddess Aubry) and I know I resented her all this time for that. Screamed in joy for her to kick down that puzzle for the second straight time trailing the entire challenge. I like her now. :p

If you're down, I'm a pretty big super fan so would easily be able to break down gameplay from pretty much everyone over the course of the entire season. If you're a fan like I am I figure that might be an appetizing proposition. :) Regardless, I'll say kudos to Denise this season (pre-merge), I really enjoyed Adam, my opinion Ben surprised me by getting even lower.. Hard boot to handle most weeks so overall it was a very enjoyable season. I think they have the advantage of it being such a quality season on paper, that it couldn't have shaken out terribly too often, if it were to play out repeatedly, in a vacuum. Yul Kwon was far and away my favorite to watch this season, what a welcome sight from the past that has been underutilized by casting. :D

Yul was my favorite winner ever (Earl Cole was a close second) and so I was kind of annoyed that he got voted out so quickly. I think casting has tried to bring him back prior but he has always refused. Because come on the dude belong on the Heroes Tribe if anyone ever did. I don't think I have ever heard anyone ever say a bad thing about him.

Adam was too neurotic for me. Oddly enough even though he is a recent winner I do not remember his playstyle all that well. I have this thing where I can remember as clear as day stuff that happened in the earlier seasons, but nothing in the more recent seasons. Same with Big Brother I can remember clearly stuff that Dr. Will did in season two, but if you were to ask me about Jackson the most recent winner I would not have a clue.

I was actually disappointed in Denise and Kim's play. They were two of my favorite winners and neither really did all that much. Sure Denise knocked out Sandra but other than that she was just there. Same goes for Kim, she was just sort of there all season long.

If you have the time and you have not already done so, I would recommend you check out Australian Survivor. The last few seasons of Aussie Survivor have been far superior to that of the American counterpart. Plus the last winner played one of the best games I have ever witnessed on any Survivor.

Yul was my favorite winner ever (Earl Cole was a close second) and so I was kind of annoyed that he got voted out so quickly. I think casting has tried to bring him back prior but he has always refused. Because come on the dude belong on the Heroes Tribe if anyone ever did. I don't think I have ever heard anyone ever say a bad thing about him.

Adam was too neurotic for me. Oddly enough even though he is a recent winner I do not remember his playstyle all that well. I have this thing where I can remember as clear as day stuff that happened in the earlier seasons, but nothing in the more recent seasons. Same with Big Brother I can remember clearly stuff that Dr. Will did in season two, but if you were to ask me about Jackson the most recent winner I would not have a clue.

I was actually disappointed in Denise and Kim's play. They were two of my favorite winners and neither really did all that much. Sure Denise knocked out Sandra but other than that she was just there. Same goes for Kim, she was just sort of there all season long.

If you have the time and you have not already done so, I would recommend you check out Australian Survivor. The last few seasons of Aussie Survivor have been far superior to that of the American counterpart. Plus the last winner played one of the best games I have ever witnessed on any Survivor.

Adam was even more neurotic the first time around, ironically enough, spending most of the season crying, panicking, or scrambling.. and came around to be quite an adept-ish player with that vote-grabbing kind of Final Tribal speech/story going on in his life, poor guy. I just enjoyed him going out there and staying true to his nerdy superfan self even with all of those vets probably not respecting him much at all. He just entertained me, definitely not in a positive gameplay kind of way. That feud with Ben boiled my blood. :p His boot episode was a very fun one also haha

I think I'm certainly more top heavy with remembering recent seasons, but that's probably my age showing as I had to binge most seasons to refresh my brain. I was in Kindergarten for BB2, so not much for me to recall from then. :p:p Did my share of diving deep though as a Big Brother obsessive.

And we are on the same page as far as Yul goes! I feel he dominated the screentime for his tribe (perhaps w/Wendell) in that pre-merge and was the longest standing old school player, so I guess I take into account him passing nearly everyone else from 20 and previous. Was awesome to see him back here, and I can bet he was declining opportunities to come back. He just didn't need it, but I know he was probably having a hard time passing up such a big season like this one was on paper.

Agreed on Kim, I will just say that taking out Sandra is much more than we could have really expected from Denise. She is hidden in this cast every time you play it out, guarenteed. Just never going to be memorable enough, despite a great season she came from, with an awesome dynamic between her and Malcolm and hitting all the Tribals throughout that season. She easily faded into obscurity to most fans, though I remained a supporter of hers. Was just awesome to see her show off a savvy game move when I never thought she would bother. She truly is a survival kind of Survivor haha

Yul would be my favorite winner, except at the start of Quarantine here in MN, I finally got the ambitious to watch Aussie Survivor and wew! You're not kidding! First, I'll note its funny to me that my girlfriend despises Survivor U.S. (and Big Brother) and has a hard time sitting through any episode, despite quality.. but she caught me watching Survivor AU2 with some Luke, and we watched a couple more seasons together in the days following. She loved it, and said she still wouldn't watch Survivor U.S. Crazy to me, but I get it. Much more dynamic in a lot of ways, but maybe I've just been burnt out by Probst and the formula at this stage. David Genat is definitely my favorite winner of all-time. This guy has everything I want in a player, personally, and a friend. :p I really connected with him, have a big man crush still hahaha, and enjoyed every second of screen time from the Golden God. He is the kind of character and player I watch this shows for. No doubt. Haha

Very glad you brought it up, I would recommend it to others as well! I have yet to watch New Zealand yet, though, have you?

Side note: Love Earl Cole also. I actually like thinking about his season standing alone, being one of those that didn't return even now. :D

I was in Kindergarten for BB2, so not much for me to recall from then. :p:p Did my share of diving deep though as a Big Brother obsessive.

Damn I really feel old now, I had just graduated from college the year before BB2.:eek:

Agreed on Kim, I will just say that taking out Sandra is much more than we could have really expected from Denise. She is hidden in this cast every time you play it out, guarenteed. Just never going to be memorable enough, despite a great season she came from, with an awesome dynamic between her and Malcolm and hitting all the Tribals throughout that season. She easily faded into obscurity to most fans, though I remained a supporter of hers. Was just awesome to see her show off a savvy game move when I never thought she would bother. She truly is a survival kind of Survivor haha

That is why I like Denise she's a smart, low key winner. I will say this, I was shocked when I read she was like 42 when she won her first season. I thought for sure she was in her early 50's. Then again I am terrible at guessing people's ages.

You're not kidding! First, I'll note its funny to me that my girlfriend despises Survivor U.S. (and Big Brother) and has a hard time sitting through any episode, despite quality.. but she caught me watching Survivor AU2 with some Luke, and we watched a couple more seasons together in the days following. She loved it, and said she still wouldn't watch Survivor U.S. Crazy to me, but I get it. Much more dynamic in a lot of ways, but maybe I've just been burnt out by Probst and the formula at this stage. David Genat is definitely my favorite winner of all-time. This guy has everything I want in a player, personally, and a friend. :p I really connected with him, have a big man crush still hahaha, and enjoyed every second of screen time from the Golden God. He is the kind of character and player I watch this shows for. No doubt. Haha

Very glad you brought it up, I would recommend it to others as well! I have yet to watch New Zealand yet, though, have you?

I get why your girlfriend would like the Aussie version over the US version. The last season of the American version that I liked was Survivor: David vs. Goliath. The three seasons after, including Winners at War, have just not been my cup of team. Though I will say based on the theme alone David vs. Goliath had no reason to be as good as it was but the cast is what made it. Davie, Nick, Christian, Gabby, John Morrison/Nitro, Carl, Lyrsa, Natalie, Angelina, Mike White. That was just an awesome cast. Very unpopular opinion but I loved Angelina, she was such a great villain and it is not usually normal to have a Survivor season with a woman as one of the biggest villains.

On the other site that I post on which talks about Survivor, the people hated Luke. Seriously, I was probably the only one that liked him. I loved that he was chaotic and took such a lighthearted approach to playing the game.

Yeah man, it is tough not to like David Genat. The dude is the definition of charming and the thing is you would think someone with his job would be snobby and not relatable but that is simply not the case.

I have watched some of New Zealand, but I will be honest with you I was bored to tears. They had (I am not sure it is still up) the most recent season on YouTube. I think there were a couple of episodes missing. I am not sure if it is a cultural thing or just a casting problem but I found the Kiwi's to be bland.

I saw a few episodes of Survivor: South Africa and they were pretty good. But once again YouTube did not have complete seasons so that sort of took my interest out of watching it.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Just finished the new season of F Is For Family. The first few seasons gave me flashbacks to my troubled childhood and the latest season made me wish I had reconciled with my dad before he passed. </p><p> </p><p>

Very good show, but it certainly triggered a lot of emotions in me.</p>

The new Perry Mason on HBO has been pretty good thus far. I used to watch the reruns of the Raymond Burr version when I was a little kid, but I do not remember them all that well and I never read the books.

This means I am not sure how faithful it is to the source material. Another plus is they do not seem to be trying to shoehorn any sort of political agenda into the show thus far, which is always a shock to me.

I forgot to add that Stargirl is really good. I was not expecting that at all but it is. Also, having Amy Smart (Who I wish they would do more with) and Luke Wilson on the cast makes the show stand out more to me. Maybe because I still view both of them as "movie" actors, I mean I know there really is no big divide between movies and television anymore but still when I see movie actors doing television the show stands out more to me.

<p>Stargirl is pretty good. I'd put it 2nd behind Black Lightning for CW-style DC shows.</p><p> </p><p>

Sinner S3 was the best one yet, IMO. Big fan of Matthew Bomer. Which reminds me I need to start S2 of Doom Patrol.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm almost finished with Dark S3. Trying not to watch it too quickly because it's the final season. One of my all-time favorite shows.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="27929" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm almost finished with Dark S3. Trying not to watch it too quickly because it's the final season. One of my all-time favorite shows.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I forced myself to split it over the course of 2 days in order to not completely fry my brain. I do kind of wish I went a bit slower. On my re-watch leading up to the third season I did one episode a day and that worked well.</p><p> </p><p> Easily one of the most intricately crafted and well executed pieces of entertainment I've ever encountered. Just fantastic the whole way through.</p>

Have two and a half episodes left of Watchmen and then I'm going to start one of the following on days I don't watch Black Sails. Anyone have any thing to add to my list?

Chernobyl

Titans

Doom Patrol

His Dark Materials

Penny Dreadful

Snowpiercer

Star Trek Picard

Star Girl

The Alienist

The Librarians

The Sinner

The Boys

The Outsider

Warrior

Westworld

• 4 weeks later...
I only have five episodes of Final Space left and I'm sad season three is still far away. Such a fun story and there are emotional moments that feel like a kick in the junk. I don't know what I'm going to watch next, but it's going to be tough to follow this up.