Shootin from the Hip

So something I've been kicking around for a while but haven't quite decided to do is I'd like to find a way to "shoot interview" basically interview some of the more successful dynasty writers on the board. Nevermore, etc.

Ask questions pertaining to their writing style, influences, things you might not know that was planned in their series. All sorts of different questions, bring up what they feel are some of the flaws in their series or series'.

I have an idea on who I'd start with and I'd basically try to exhaust as many questions via P.M from them as I can making it as detailed and extensive as I can before creating a thread for it in the Dynasty boards where everybody over there (and here can see it).

So what I'm asking is most importantly would people be interested in what Nevermore's influences in started a dynasty where, would people be interested in how things might have turned out different in ten simple rules if James Casey had gone a different route, what are NoNeck's biggest regrets in his well known dynasties, etc.

The second thing is would dynasty writers be interested in doing this? Or would they prefer to let things like that stay with them?

I don't think its something thats been done before and to be honest the Guest Booker series over on the Dynasty Boards got me thinking that there are several interesting avenues to this game that we've yet to explore and I think this would be one of them.

Thoughts both good and bad would be great.

Not that I have any say in this at all, but I think this is a great idea. The diary writing tips thread has been very useful, but getting inside a writer's head and learning their process and techniques is incredibly useful. If anyone's read Steven King's "On Writing," you'll understand how interesting and helpful this can be.

<p>I'm always interested in tips from other writers that I can steal, er, purloin, er...</p><p> </p><p>

I've actually been re-reading Generation Supreme recently and doing a little facepalm every now and then about how much stuff I unconsciously lifted from the diary (as opposed to the stuff I <em>consciously</em> lifted).</p><p> </p><p>

Having someone sit down and explain what went into their diary would be cool, if only to see why they went in directions I would never have gone.</p>

<p>Seeing as how I love talking about myself (I'm the only guy I know who gets excited to go to job interviews) I would love to be interviewed about my diary. Granted, it's been dead since February, so it's not exactly a current topic, but I won a bunch of awards so maybe some folks can learn something from my inane ramblings and self-important opinions.</p><p> </p><p>

... and I'd also be interested in reading interviews with other dudes.</p>

I'm not an active diary writer but I'm always interested in hearing what any of the fine writers we have here on the forums have going in their games and their thought processes behind things. Would definitely read any interview type things that go up, it's always good to get more inspiration from people on how they view things. :)

I'm always interested in tips from other writers that I can steal, er, purloin, er...

I've actually been re-reading Generation Supreme recently and doing a little facepalm every now and then about how much stuff I unconsciously lifted from the diary (as opposed to the stuff I consciously lifted).

Having someone sit down and explain what went into their diary would be cool, if only to see why they went in directions I would never have gone.

If it makes you feel any better, JC, there is a very very good chance I lifted it from somewhere first.

And yeah, getting an understanding of someone else's process - their booking approach and their writing, where they seek out ideas, etc - is something I would love to read.

Stennick if you are the person who asks the questions you have to ask each writer the James Lipton’s Questionnaire from Inside The Actor's Studio:

1.What is your favorite word?

2.What is your least favorite word?

3.What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

4.What turns you off?

5.What is your favorite curse word?

6.What sound or noise do you love?

7.What sound or noise do you hate?

8.What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?

9.What profession would you not like to do?

10.If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

What about doing a radio show online where once a week a new diary writer calls the host and is interviewed? People can call in and ask their own questions even. Might be fun and interesting. I would love to host it even with listeners help. This is an idea I have wanted to do many times but didn't know if there was any interest on these boards. I even know of a decent site to do it on.

That's maybe going a little too far with it. I enjoy podcasts, so I'd probably listen to something like that (depending on audio quality) but I for one am for more adept at typing my thoughts than articulating them verbally. A radio show could be cool, but if the diary writers are good at writing, and diary fans enjoy reading, it might be more popular in written form.

I'm just one man though. Certainly an interesting idea, and in terms of wrestling podcasts, there are a bunch of folks on here with interesting mindsets and angles and opinions on wrestling that would be interesting to hear.

In previous writing life - this is my third, maybe fourth - I did several responses to questions posed to characters I'd written, which were also fun. Might not work for everyone, but a kayfabe interview with Self's Harry Allen (or Steve Gumble for that matter), or a behind the scenes talk with Avatar's SWF colleagues could be a very interesting sidebar.

I've recently been in contact with one of the most followed and praised dynasty writers on the board. I'm going to move forward with this project.

The plan as of now is to read up on this persons projects both here and possibly abroad and compose an extensive list of questions. To keep this as conversational as possible I'm going to ask a question via PM, let him respond and organically grow off of that response.

When its done I'll list it in the Dynasty forums and I'm sure it won't be hard to find. I think from the things discussed as of now this works best in a written form. Some of us are so busy that we barely find times to update our dynasties let alone take time out for a radio show or to interact on a blog or anything of that degree.

There is no short list of people who have drawn praise for their writing on this board, I have somewhat of a wish list of writers I'm going to peruse but of course these things all take time. If you have ran a successful dynasty here I'm sure we will get around to exchanging PM's at one point or another.

I think beyond letting people into someone else's creative mind this may help to inspire others who are either struggling with their creativeness or maybe just plain inspire them to play the game. Its really a win win.

Thanks for the feedback guys and I think the inaugural guy in this series is going to be a huge hit that virtually everyone on the board is going to want to hear from. Its most likely not hard to figure out who the first guy in this series should be but none the less it will add to the fun to not announce his or her name ahead of time.

Archived