Would a practical use of the betting lines be useful for anyone?

So as Adam has said, WMMA3 will have betting lines available for each fight (+220, -340, etc.).

I don't know about anyone else, but I love sports betting and specificially I enjoy watching a good MMA fight card after I've put a few wagers on the fights.

Could this be a fun feature in WMMA3 if there was actually a more practical use for the betting lines, and you could put bets on the various fights?

I think it would have to be branded somehow as if you are stepping away from the game slightly and doing it as a fan of the promotion as opposed to the owner, as that is just sketchy.

However, in a game that is all about trying to add immersion, what better way than to have the risk of your 'C-Verse Bucks' (patent pending)?

I don't think the feature would have to be anything flashy, just a way to start out with a small betting bankroll ($500, $1,000, say) and then be able to put down bets on the fights and either watch your bankroll grow as you prove how well you know the fighters in your universe, or watch it dissapear as you find out just how unpredictable MMA really is.

Of course this would be something which could be ignored, so you wouldn't have to do anything with it if it's not your cup of tea.

Presumably (and I say this with no programming experience, so heavy on the word presumably) it wouldn't be too hard to implement, since the difficult part (coming up with the lines) is already in the game.

It's always really satisfying to correctly pick an underdog winner and stuff like that. When I quick sim fights in WMMA2 I always find myself just guessing who I think will win too. This could be a good way to 'keep score'.

Anyway, I would enjoy a feature like this, anyone else?

I might throw it in the suggestions forum later so it is potentially considered, but I want to see if anyone else thinks it might be of value first?

I was actually thinking about something along those lines a few days ago. My idea was that you could bet on any fights in the game but every time you make a bet there is a small chance you would 'get caught' and you and your promotion would take a massive hit in reputation, as obviously a promoter betting on fights would be a huge conflict of interest.

This may take a bit of realism out of the game but it could be fun.

I was actually thinking about something along those lines a few days ago. My idea was that you could bet on any fights in the game but every time you make a bet there is a small chance you would 'get caught' and you and your promotion would take a massive hit in reputation, as obviously a promoter betting on fights would be a huge conflict of interest.

I wouldn't want it to be connected to the game in your role as owner/promoter, I think it would be best served if it could be somehow removed to where you feel like you are just a 'fan' betting on the fights.

Perhaps a 'fan portal' where you can see fan polls where people predict who they think are going to win in polls, who the best fighters in various division are etc, and also where you can place bets.

Hey, maybe something like this is already in the game?

Also, I would probably never do it if there was a chance of ruining your promotion's reputation ...

Also, you are from Fredericton? Cool. I didn't know there were other WMMA fans from N.B. I'm in Moncton.

I wouldn't want it to be connected to the game in your role as owner/promoter, I think it would be best served if it could be somehow removed to where you feel like you are just a 'fan' betting on the fights.

Perhaps a 'fan portal' where you can see fan polls where people predict who they think are going to win in polls, who the best fighters in various division are etc, and also where you can place bets.

Hey, maybe something like this is already in the game?

This... I'd rather it be a seperate feature for the fan in us, totally unattached to the career of a promoter

First off, this should be in the suggestions forum, not here.

Personally, I find simulated betting to be one of the most completely pointless things in the world. The whole fun about gambling is the risk, why take the risk away? It's like smoking with no nicotine, no tobacco, nothing. Totally pointless.

There's risk if you put value in the cash being betted. Maybe attach it to your owner attributes (Or whatever they're called, read below). Either way, the odds on the betting line are not the statistical odds of the fight engine, I'd wager (Pun!). They're probably more based on momentum and previous performances than actual fighter stats. Fog of War only increases the uncertainty.

Anyways, instead of having you gain a point to bolster yourself for every 100 fights or something like that, make it so after every successful promotion you get a small amount of cash based on the event's success. This will be your "Payroll". With enough personal cash, you can buy upgrades to your attributes, though obvious calculations would have to be made to space out one's attribute progression.

If you want to accelerate your gains, you can put into the betting pools. Lose your bet, lose your money, though you can never be permanently out unless you get fired as your payroll will slowly replenish. A betting ceiling may be necessary to prevent abuse, but I don't know if it should be based on your owner level or your promotion's popularity.

First thing would be different odds. By that I mean different types of odds that we are able to choose between (I have no idea what betting lines are, or even that they existed. I only understand odds set out in the format 2:1 (bet £1 receive £2 if you win)) or else some users get alienated by the feature or have to learn about it.

The idea in itself is good, maybe a game mode where you start off as a fan with $x and have to build up your finances before setting up your own company. So if you end up with a large amount you may decide to set up a large company, if you always have low finances you may never set up a company or a really small one if any.

First off, this should be in the suggestions forum, not here.

As I said in the original post I will post this in suggestions eventually if there is a lot of agreement and if a good idea can be hashed out for what a feature like this might look like.

There are far more people who post/check this forum than the suggestions one, so for the purpose of having a discussion, I figure it worked here.

I haven't made this as a suggestion as I'm not yet sure whether it would be useful and fun and in what format it would best be implemented. Hence the discussion! :)

First thing would be different odds. By that I mean different types of odds that we are able to choose between (I have no idea what betting lines are, or even that they existed. I only understand odds set out in the format 2:1 (bet £1 receive £2 if you win)) or else some users get alienated by the feature or have to learn about it.

The idea in itself is good, maybe a game mode where you start off as a fan with $x and have to build up your finances before setting up your own company. So if you end up with a large amount you may decide to set up a large company, if you always have low finances you may never set up a company or a really small one if any.

Adjustable odds in different formats would be good, but it's not overly difficult to learn what different styles of odds mean. A quick help file in the game could solve that.

As for the game mode where you make money and start up a company, that might be a bit too ambitious and perhaps unrealistic... Not that many people are betting MMA in order to raise funds to start up a rival promotion...

Another thought ... perhaps to get away from the 'owner betting on his promotion's own fights' stigma would be to set this up more as an MMA pick'em.

It could be a "Blurcat" feature where the user is take a set amount of 'points' and wager them in different ways on the different fights. At the end of the fight the results could be displayed in a +/- and that could be compared to the scores of a bunch of randomly generated 'fans' who also do the same. A sort of 'beat the boss' MMA pick em where fans of your promotion try to match wits with you as promotion owner in being successful in picking winners of the fights. Something like that might help immersion and could be of interest.

Think of it this way. Minus = favourite. Plus = underdog. We'll pretend the lines are:

+230

Okay? Now, everything is generally done in a ratio to 100.

So, if you are betting the favourite (in this case, this is the minus. So, "-150") you have to bet more to win less. In other words, you bet 150 to win 100.

If you are betting the underdog, you bet less to win more. In other words, you bet 100 to win 230.

Make sense? :)

Archived