DOTM: Rookie Diary Poll

DOTM: Rookie Diary Poll  

63 members have voted

1. 1. DOTM: Rookie Diary Poll

• Jingo's The Next Generation of Awesome: SAW!
    • jhd1's Supreme Wrestling Federation: Under Pressure
    • Rhudipoo's WWE Bizarro
    • LoNdOn's TCW: The Never Ending Journey
    • Gouge's WWF 2002: Smackdown! vs. RAW
    • Yuu Onuki's Memoir's of a Booker: 5SSW: Return of an Oracle
    • Rathen4's Australian Pro Wrestling

Rookie DOTM nominee's:

• Jingo's The Next Generation of Awesome: SAW!
  • jhd1's Supreme Wrestling Federation: Under Pressure
  • Rhudipoo's WWE Bizarro
  • LoNdOn's TCW: The Never Ending Journey
  • Gouge's WWF 2002: Smackdown! vs. RAW
  • Yuu Onuki's Memoir's of a Booker: 5SSW: Return of an Oracle
  • Rathen4's Australian Pro Wrestling

Man, and I thought I had to survive a tough field last month!

LoNdOn's TCW is a solid read, as is Rathen's Aussie tale. Heck, even the brilliantly tasteless and off-beat Bizarro dynasty is compelling.

But, jhd1 gets my vote this month. He fleshes out this new gen of SWF in am extremely detailed way. And he's got a great Aftermath thing going on (wink, wink)...

So, as defending Rookie DOTM champ, I'm placing my stamp of approval on Under Pressure. But what an awesome list of candidates all the way around.

As much as I love London's diary, my vote goes to Rhudipoo & WWE:Bizarro. Never followed a real world diary past more than a couple of shows before, they're all so bland yet unbelievable (IMO, no offence intended in any way to any writers, horses for courses and all that :)) but this? This is crazy, yet I could see it happen.

As much as I love London's diary, my vote goes to Rhudipoo & WWE:Bizarro. Never followed a real world diary past more than a couple of shows before, they're all so bland yet unbelievable (IMO, no offence intended in any way to any writers, horses for courses and all that :)) but this? This is crazy, yet I could see it happen.

Have you read them "ALL" jw_forever's certainly isn't unrealistic and I understand you don't like them, but to make a generalization like that is bull **** and to say they are unbelievable, as a criticism and then praise Rhudipoo's (excellent diary) which is the least believable of them all (it a truly entertaining way) and saying no offense intended mean nothing so why but it as some will be offended.

Have you read them "ALL" jw_forever's certainly isn't unrealistic and I understand you don't like them, but to make a generalization like that is bull **** and to say they are unbelievable, as a criticism and then praise Rhudipoo's (excellent diary) which is the least believable of them all (it a truly entertaining way) and saying no offense intended mean nothing so why but it as some will be offended.

Where you watching WWF during the Attitude era? In an company with an era that consisted of Necrophilia and 80 year old women giving birth to hands, Suicide Pacts and A Micheal Cole and DDP gay romance don't seem to far fetched.

But a dildo... called Derek :p

And TBH I mostly watched Nitro myself, I think that in 2010 there is NO WAY WWE would do that, but I LOVE that the diary has done it, the TNA Rob Terry scandal, Vince dry humping Barney. Vince Russo reprising (yes I believe the conspiracy) his role of a mole trying to destroy the rival. It the work of an eccentric genius

I want to know what he finds so unrealistic in other diaries because Rhudipoo has brought back Shane O'Mac , Brock Lesnar and that is great but I don't see what MJ objects to in other diaries, and if the answer is because it's supposed to be made up then cool, but I just don't think the comment was fair and want to know what he meant.

I mean no hard feelings by this and it is just a disagreement, I am new round here and I know my place I'm just wanting to know what he means as I love CV and RW diaries in equal measure :)

I won't argue against it being a pretty broad (and off-base, IMO) generalization. And as a real world writer myself, I found it mildly insulting, whether he intended to cause offence or not. That said, I don't think this is really the place to discuss this. I think the focus in this thread should be on the nominees, and getting into a debate of this sort will only take attention away from them. Just my opinion, of course.

Back to the topic at hand, I unfortunately haven't kept up with many of the newer dynasties during my little hiatus from writing. But now that I'm back, I'm going to take care of that. I'll be sure to check out all of the nominees here, and vote for my favorite once I'm finished playing catchup.

Wow! Sorry, like I said, not trying to offend anyone. If I did, sorry.

I just don't think the comment was fair and want to know what he meant.

I meant exactly what I said, most RW diaries I have read make me switch off. That's why its my opinion, not any kind of fact. As I stated, I understand why people like different things. I prefer the CV diaries as they usually have a lot more scope for character progression, whereas in a real world mod you will tend to have the same guys on rosters, playing the same gimmicks. Once again, I'm generalising.

I did a diary. I asked someone on here what they thought of it and I got told that 'Yeah, that's not for me man, I don't like it cos it's mainly backstage stuff and I prefer reading shows.' And all I thought was, ah well, can't please everyone.

I am truly sorry to anyone how took offence. If you want to take the apology or the offence that's really your call.

Sorry for de-railing. I'll take no more of your time

I'm going to throw my two pence worth in.

CV diaries don't do it for me. The simple reason is I am not familiar with the CV where I am with most RW wrestlers and I don't have the spare time to invest in getting to know all the diaries in here or the CV.

I am not saying any of them are badly written, quite the opposite. I know people put a lot of effort into their diaries and they are very well written. I simply stick with the RW ones because I know about the people they are writing about.

Somebody sent me a PM the other day, asking for tips in writing a diary. I told him that different people like different things (some like detailed backstage segments, some like detailed match write ups, some like a concise summary of events, some like real world, some like CV). I told him that in my opinion, there are only two rules to writing a diary...

1. You must enjoy playing your game.

2. You must enjoy writing about it.

If you do those, you will get a readership. Some people won't go for it because it will be of a certain style of writing or game, but everybody has different preferences and opinions, and that's what makes any forum good - not just this one.

I'm going to throw my two pence worth in.

CV diaries don't do it for me. The simple reason is I am not familiar with the CV where I am with most RW wrestlers and I don't have the spare time to invest in getting to know all the diaries in here or the CV.

I am not saying any of them are badly written, quite the opposite. I know people put a lot of effort into their diaries and they are very well written. I simply stick with the RW ones because I know about the people they are writing about.

It's quite interesting how this topic can polarise people. For me I have only really got into one RW diary that being "We don't imitate,we innovate" but for me with real world games I find that I am compelled to book characters in a certain way whereas with the CV you can form characters to your own imagination and can enjoy other people's portrayal as there is no 'reality' of the character. Everything and everyone can have subjectivity in the C-Verse whereas I find it hard to grasp the concept of say someone trying to push Triple H as anything other than how I see him on tv.

For a long time I was a CV only reader. Then I started to read Oldschool's WWWF diary which caught my eye. Shortly thereafter I began reading Nooby's TNA diary, Olympia's old diary, MadMatt's old WCW diary, and TFC's ROH diary and I became a convert. There is great stuff being done on both ends.

However, it is true you can't always please everyone. There are certain things that makes me shy away from diaries. To each their own I suppose.

very very interesting discussion going on in here.

personally I've done both real world and CV. I think they both have their strong points.

Then you had DWW's seminal work in the 9000 versus blending DC vs Marvel in some of the best 'comic book' writing I have read in a decade so . . .

I can't read many RW diaries.

Seriously. I can't. I read a promo and I think "but that sounds nothing like [promo giver], it doesn't have his speech patterns, his rhythms, he's talking about his opponent in a way the guy doesn't..."

With the C-Verse, when I came to it, I have no preconceptions. Now, of course, after writing diaries for almost four years, after reading them a little longer, I have some - but because I've read many diaries using the same people, if Swoop McCarthy doesn't sound exactly like the way James Casey wrote him, it doesn't bother me. And having had four years experience in this way with all sorts of companies, having booked comfortably in the thousands of events in the C-Verse with years of interaction with individual feds, I feel like I know the C-Verse... actually better than I know the real world, in terms of talents.

I know only a handful of big names from Japan IRL. I know more big names from any one of the C-Verse Japanese feds. I know about half of SHIMMER IRL. I know pretty much all the womens' feds and divisions in C-Verse. I know WWE and TNA guys except for the seldom-used jobbers who still rate 'hey, it's that guy' status. In the C-Verse, I know the SWF, TCW, CGC, and NOTBPW - and the SWF's developmental talent.

I know most of ROH's medium-to-big names, and the same for CHIKARA and PWG. I know the ins and outs of CZCW, FCW, PSW, NYCW, MAW and the rest.

I barely know the current UK scene at all. I know ROF, I know MOSC, I know 21CW.

And still I don't get cognitive dissonance because someone's promo just sounds wrong.

I understand not wanting to get into the C-Verse, I really do. And I envy those who can read diaries - otherwise excellent - where the voice of their favourite wrestler are off, and not be thrown off and unsettled.

But there are reasons so many of us make it our home when it comes to text-based wrestling...

I enjoy both but would lean towards CV because I know it better like PS said, and which is why in my TNA I use overview of angles rather than actual quotes. But that said some diaries in RW do a really good job at 'keeping it real' and as mentioned before jw_forever does this exceptionally well.

I can't read many RW diaries.

Seriously. I can't. I read a promo and I think "but that sounds nothing like [promo giver], it doesn't have his speech patterns, his rhythms, he's talking about his opponent in a way the guy doesn't..."

Yeah, in my experience, that's one of the biggest drawbacks in doing a real world diary--trying to write a promo that feels like a promo that guy would give. Not easy to do. Kind of tempts me to try my hand at a C-Verse diary, where I'd have more freedom when writing promos. Of course, I'd actually have to familiarize myself with the C-Verse first.

Archived