Dragon Age 2

Dragonmack

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you play the demo? that would give you an actual feel for the combat and some of the flavor of the game that just watching gameplay wouldn't.

Frankly I am liking the combat more than DAO. Granted it seems more over the top than the first one, but there is a lot more animation of the combat than DAO ever had, and there are a lot of skills and modifiers of those skills than DAO had by far also.

I also like the quest set up better. There seem to be a lot more minor and side quests and it kind of breaks the usual mode of Bioware's formula to go to these three or four quest hubs before you go to this final area for the showdown fight.

Also, while it isn't the usual "save the world from some big bad against major odds" storyline ( at least so far) I actually find the champion's rise to power storyline somewhat refreshing. Yeah I am still a little disappointed that I am not continuing my Warden, but if you consider it as another story in the game world as opposed to a sequel it becomes easier to just focus on it and let the little tie ins that happen be nice flavorful additions to the story.

Also, while I am still in the early stages and haven't gotten more than a couple of the companions so far, I am finding Varric to be my favorite so far.

Also, while I am still in the early stages and haven't gotten more than a couple of the companions so far, I am finding Varric to be my favorite so far.

Varric is quite amusing. He's repairing alot of the damage done to my opinion of Dwarves done by Oghren.

Also digging Merril and the new Welsh Dailish in general. It suits them.

And Anders continues to be hilarious.

In fact, if I didnt need a tank...thatd probably be my party.

Did you play the demo? that would give you an actual feel for the combat and some of the flavor of the game that just watching gameplay wouldn't.

Unless you DL the hack for the demo, it kinda doesnt. Since its locked on Normal difficulty, it plays alot more like a hack and slash button masher. Moving it up to Hard puts it closer in style to DAO with more pausing and rotating through companions to get the greatest benefit from them.

Frankly I am liking the combat more than DAO. Granted it seems more over the top than the first one, but there is a lot more animation of the combat than DAO ever had, and there are a lot of skills and modifiers of those skills than DAO had by far also.

I also like the quest set up better. There seem to be a lot more minor and side quests and it kind of breaks the usual mode of Bioware's formula to go to these three or four quest hubs before you go to this final area for the showdown fight.

Also, while it isn't the usual "save the world from some big bad against major odds" storyline ( at least so far) I actually find the champion's rise to power storyline somewhat refreshing. Yeah I am still a little disappointed that I am not continuing my Warden, but if you consider it as another story in the game world as opposed to a sequel it becomes easier to just focus on it and let the little tie ins that happen be nice flavorful additions to the story.

The problem is, I hate hack and slashers. Buttom mash, move around to regain HP, rinse, wash, repeat. I prefer a more NWN style game.

Varric is quite amusing. He's repairing alot of the damage done to my opinion of Dwarves done by Oghren.

Also digging Merril and the new Welsh Dailish in general. It suits them.

And Anders continues to be hilarious.

In fact, if I didnt need a tank...thatd probably be my party.

The voice acting of Merril is great. And I think the naivety she portrays is rather endearing for the character. And Varric is great. I should go drinking with him sometime soon.

Little miffed that it crashed on me, though. Nothing more frustrating than a locked screen. Other than that snafu, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

The voice acting of Merril is great. And I think the naivety she portrays is rather endearing for the character. And Varric is great. I should go drinking with him sometime soon.

Little miffed that it crashed on me, though. Nothing more frustrating than a locked screen. Other than that snafu, I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

I'm getting occasional video driver crashes in the game as well, but making liberal use of the quick save feature, and still usually being able to get several multihour play sessions with no crashes means it isn't deal breaking. I've had games that were far worse on release. And even though I have managed to progress far enough to get a few more companion characters, Varric still remains my favorite. One thing I do like is how they re-designed the elves. In DAO they basically looked like shorter humans with pointed ears and facial tattoos. Here they actually look more like a non human race.

Still in the first couple of chapters ( or years as the game story goes) but with my character being a melee rogue, I actually find the original party members to be a very good team. Aveline makes a good tank, Bethany is the mage nuker, Varric provides long range firepower with his crossbow, and my character as the rogue is the freelancer to deal with whatever threat is needed at the moment.

Oh yeah, it's just an irritant. DA:O was way worse. I think that's my fear, because that one started off fine and then I got way-laid.

And this is probably gonna sound silly, although I'm still way early in the game (helping Anders with Karl), but the one thing I miss most from DA:O to this one ... Crimson. Which is what I named my warhound, since he was always covered in blood. lol My little dwarven warrior loved that dog.

Oh yeah, it's just an irritant. DA:O was way worse. I think that's my fear, because that one started off fine and then I got way-laid.

And this is probably gonna sound silly, although I'm still way early in the game (helping Anders with Karl), but the one thing I miss most from DA:O to this one ... Crimson. Which is what I named my warhound, since he was always covered in blood. lol My little dwarven warrior loved that dog.

What system are you playing on? You have PS3 right?

I have it for 360 and it is a bit glitchy graphics wise but I have yet to have any other major problems. Knock on wood.

My opinion of it still has not changed, I am not a huge fan of it. I liked the original much more than this.

One of the unlockables in the game is a Mabari. He's a sustained summon instead of a party member, but if you have him he's at your house and you can name him, so you can get Crimson back again :D.

I think it's available from the Black Emporium extra. I got the Signature Edition, so I got almost all the little extra items and available content.

Finished the Deep Roads Expedition last night.

On Hard, that boss fight is one mean SOB. Alot of positioning and target picking.

Got him by the skin of my teeth, having burned through all my healing potions.

I got the money and maps to begin it, but I am doing all the side quests first.

What system are you playing on? You have PS3 right?

I have it for 360 and it is a bit glitchy graphics wise but I have yet to have any other major problems. Knock on wood.

My opinion of it still has not changed, I am not a huge fan of it. I liked the original much more than this.

Yeah, PS3. Graphically, I've had small sputters, but nothing bad. Except the occasional freeze ... I'm torn as to whether I appreciate it more than the original. I miss the variance of characters, but the storyline leading in is really well done. Can't say I'd choose one over the other at this juncture.

One of the unlockables in the game is a Mabari. He's a sustained summon instead of a party member, but if you have him he's at your house and you can name him, so you can get Crimson back again :D.

I think it's available from the Black Emporium extra. I got the Signature Edition, so I got almost all the little extra items and available content.

Now I gotta hook the blasted machine to the interwebs, just so I can get my dog back! lol

Starting to get near the end and I have enjoyed it so far. Though I do wonder about how much choice you really have regarding some of the plot quests. Have tried out all but one of the companions on various quests so far and my favorites are Aveline, Varric, and either Bethany, Anders or Merrill.

Originally was planning on Isabella being the romantic interest for this playthrough ( and indeed we did have a 'dalliance') but actually ended up with Merrill. That scatterbrained way she talks is just too endearing :D .

The Friend-Rival thing is interesting, although as far as I can see at this point, it doesn't affect their willingness to be in your group. It does affect specific bonuses available to the character themselves though. Some of the characters look fairly easy to get rival with, but honestly I can't imagine making Varric a rival in any play through. He is just too interesting and down to earth to not be a good buddy. ;)

Thats wise. There is no finishing that stuff once you leave.

This, I did not finish everything and when I came back, they were all gone.:mad:

Also I took (spoilers please do not quote) Bethany on the Deep Road Journey and it turns out that I lost her! She became striken with the blight and had to join the Grey Wardens! Man was I pissed because she was my favorite mage. Now I am sure I will get her back at some point but it still sucks that she is gone.

After having gotten deeper into the game I must admit that it is growing on me. I really enjoy the storylines in the game.

Actually BHK that is one of those storyline points that it doesn't really matter what you do, the result turns out basically the same. That has always been one of the issues I have had with games like this is that even though there is some choice, and some influence on the game, ultimately all roads lead the same place. But then, especially with all the cinematic and dialogue of a big budget game like this, there really is no way to really have complete freewill and a large number of possible outcomes.

But overall I am liking the game itself, and loving the interactions with the various characters. The combat , although in style very different from DAO, shares a lot of similiarity in that its incredibly easy most of the time, and then ramps up insanely in difficulty on some fights, even without changing the level.

STILL haven't gotten the game. Thanks for your excellent service, United States Postal Service. :rolleyes:

You need to go kick your local postman, then. :p

I'm still working my way through, finishing up year 4 (I think?) Totally hooked up with Isabella too, without even trying. Why can't I find a hot pirate chick like that in real life? lol

I'm still working my way through, finishing up year 4 (I think?) Totally hooked up with Isabella too, without even trying. Why can't I find a hot pirate chick like that in real life? lol

Same thing here, much like D-Mack I ended up settling down with Merrill. I am close to the endgame or at least I think I am.

Beat the game last week, started a new one.

My advice, don't do any main plot quests towards the end. I missed out on a ton a quests because the end game pretty much came out of nowhere and was automatically initiated by entering a location (that I was going to for a completely different quest).

I think Bioware dropped the ball on this one...it's not as good as the original and it's nowhere near Mass Effect in any regard. I think they've even admitted that they pretty much winged it. It's pretty good sure, but it's nowhere near as good as it could have been or should have been for that matter. And the review scores seem to be reflecting that sentiment.

Not that big of a deal, not many developers can make an awesome sequel as well all of the time. I think Rockstar are an exception with the GTA series and I'm expecting Uncharted 3 to not be as good as the previous two - but DA2 should have been a fair bit better than it was in all fairness.

Archived