Dragon Age 2

Dragonmack

Dragon Age 2 comes out tomorrow. Who is looking forward to it and already has it ordered or is planning to order it?

Also , are you glad its different from the first game or disappointed it doesn't continue the story of the first game?

As for me, I had it pre ordered for the signature edition several months ago ( actually had forgotten I had pre ordered it in Oct, and pre-ordered it again from a different vendor in January. :p Fortunately I got a notification from the first vendor a few days ago so I could cancel the other order. :D ) so I have it already pre downloaded and just waiting to hit release day.

I am somewhat disappointed that the story shifts to another area and characters , although still set in the same relative time frame and with a lot of crossover characters, but I do like them following the mass effect feature of the main character actually speaking. I would have liked to be able to continue the character I finished everything with, and see the changes his actions would have brought, but given that there were six different origin stories in the first, and numerous possible endings, that probably would have been unfeasible programming wise.

I did download and play the demo, and that looked interesting, especially in some of the combat dynamics. I am currently replaying through the first game with a different character so I can see the differences. The second one, like Mass Effect 2, seems more console type combat to me, but I think at first glance it seems an improvement. The actual class options seem a little limiting from the demo, but I will have to wait and see just how much actual character development and paths are possible with the full game.

So, all in all, I am excited to play the game tomorrow :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm certainly not getting the game. When I heard "this game is giong to be easier" I knew they nerfed the gameplay. the gameplay footage pretty much showed that to me, too.

But as for the story, that's annoying, but understandable... Dragon Age, the expansion pack, and the DLC, are a buggy mess right now.

Have it preordered (it was actually a gift from Christmas, which is nice) and looking forward to it.

Im fine with leaving the DAO characters behind. To compare it to ME, we knew that was a trilogy soon as the first game didnt bomb. So, if Shepard didnt return, I woulda been rather pissed. But the Warden? I never had that long term attachement or expectation.

Plus, there is the large difference that dead Shepard is basically a fail state. Dead Warden is a legitimate choice and it would be a shame to see that ignored further.

I do like they swicthed to the dialogue wheel. I prefer the smoother more cinematic style that it allows. It tends to give conversations a more natural place and just looks good overall.

I will kinda miss the various origins, but I understand why they had to go in the face of a voice acted protagonist.

I think I can agree on that, GruntMark, but the gameplay, not so much. I'll miss the characters, but I felt the story was close to done... but leaving the gameplay for a more console friendly one... bah, that annoys me.

Well...I play on a console. So I cant say it bothers me so much. :p

From the 360 perspective, with only the demo to work with, the combat feels better. I, starved for DA, played the City Elf origin last night in DAO. You spend so much time infuriatingly floating around in auto attack, turning your back or generally spazzing. DA2 feels alot more precise.

I also loaded up the demo on my computer, to play with the character creator, and found melee to be a complete PITA with the camera controls and mouse. Maybe Im just conditioned differently. Mage was okay though.

The creator BTW, is pretty well built. You can make an ugly Hawke, but you almost have to work at it. Whereas ME series and DAO...pretty easy to accidently make a ghoul. :p

Aye, I love the character creator for DA2. My trial run at making my Hawke resulted in him, as GM put it, looking like a stout Norseman... which was my intended purpose, so I felt good.

In DAO, my attempt was to make a Dalish elf look like a young David Boreanaz. For the most part it came out OK (after a considerably longer period of time than it took me to make "Magnus Hawke"), but the absolutely awful lighting and controls in the character creator resulted in him having some very wonky looking "chipmunk" cheeks that are noticeable at certain angles, and with me having no way to fix it. Really peeved me. But DA2's seems much better at avoiding any weird angles or lighting that might otherwise screw you up, and my Hawke came out looking like he did in the creator.

That, and you can change appearance mid-game now, or so I've been told. So if I'm ever like "WTF is wrong with my Hawke's eyes?!", I can tweak them. It's a nice feature... especially after how many times I had to recreate my second Shephered in ME1 to get her to look half-right. Even now there's a couple angles she looks goofy from (which, she's suppossed to look a little goofy, just not in all the ways she does). There's just certain angles and lighting you don't get to see your character in until long after you've created them, and by then it's too late to do anything. Glad to see Bioware finally recognizing that issue.

I will be getting it but I am not all that keen about having to stick to one race (for lack of a better term). I loved that you could be a human, elf, or dwarf and they all had sub-classes so you could have a new opening story with each game. Now I know why they made the change, that does not mean I have to like it.

I am insanely jealous. And I guess I'd better not open this topic up again until I've played through the game myself, lest something be spoiled.

Right?

No Spoilers! For every spoiler not hidden in this thread, Jman will BEAT YOU with his baseball bat. In the groin.

Yeah, I have it and I love the bejeezus out of it. I wasn't attached to my Wardens from the first game (for obvious reasons) so starting new doesn't bother me at all. I'll buy anything Bioware, until they start to coast like Bethesda's been doing of late.

Yeah, I have it and I love the bejeezus out of it. I wasn't attached to my Wardens from the first game (for obvious reasons) so starting new doesn't bother me at all. I'll buy anything Bioware, until they start to coast like Bethesda's been doing of late.

I hear you. I had always been a JRPG player, but Bioware has won me over. I'll continue buying all their major releases for the foreseeable future. Well, aside from The Old Republic, because I've never been a big MMO fan. And such is my love for BW, I'm even tempted to pick that one up, despite not buying a diehard Star Wars fan or an MMO player.

I pre-ordered the signature edition as soon as I could, so I should be getting it bang on Friday.

I just like how with the signature edition they claim to be giving you *£25 worth of free Downloadable Content*.

Wait, doesn't that just mean that you're taking £25 of content of the regular release?

Still gonna be happy though, it's got swords and things that die on swords, with a good story. I still remember that DAO is the game I've come closest to getting a platinum trophy with. As it is I am one trophy off (the kill 1000 darkspawn in one playthrough one) and I've leant it out. I'll probably have to nab that one after playing DA2.

BTW, Pancake Day is awesome.

Guest codey
It's installing right now, so, needless to say, my TEW diary is gonna be slow going for the next couple of shows :D

After about 5 hours I am liking DA2 a lot. The combat, while feeling a lot more console like, is still a lot of fun, and they definitely put more flourishes and visuals into combat styles than in DAO. I am playing a rogue and even in the early going there are a lot of interesting things going on in combat. I also find the companions to be a little better in combat so far without the micromanagement needed in DAO.

I not a fan of it thus far, I feel that the first one was better. First off, I cannot even see what is in my inventory because the screen is too dark and the text is too small.

I will say the graphics are far better than the first one. And I agree the combat seems better as well.

Dragon Age 2 comes out tomorrow. Who is looking forward to it and already has it ordered or is planning to order it?

I plan on getting it eventually

Also , are you glad its different from the first game or disappointed it doesn't continue the story of the first game?

Not glad at all probably covers my feelings. Spent all that time to loose it all sounds a bit daft.

I am somewhat disappointed that the story shifts to another area and characters

Same here

I would have liked to be able to continue the character I finished everything with, and see the changes his actions would have brought

This is the only reason why i have not already bought it:D

Europe gets the game on Friday and having only "discovered" DA:O on Monday, I'll probably buy DA2, but it will be a couple of weeks more before I start it! Luckily that will mean that should there be any obvious glitches in the game, I'll be able to patch the game before I start!

Archived