People leaving Madden

GatorBait19

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/04/10/senior-members-of-the-madden-nfl-development-team-departing-tiburon

I have complained for a couple years that Madden has been stale for a couple years and I am hoping that this could help freshen Madden up. While I doubt it will have a huge impact on this year's Madden I am now looking forward to future Madden games

getting the NFL license just made EA lazy knowing that 2K couldnt make a superrior game. I remember the enormous strides made from 03-04 and 04-05 editions of madden.

They have been minimal since 2006 and afterwards and Im really missing 2K5 right now

EA got the license because of the fact they offered a boat load of money to the NFL to get it plus, the fact that NFL could control more stuff easier with just one company making the game. Also 2K5 was consider the best NFL game probably ever made. It is still a game people play and many cry for 2K (now owned by THQ I believe) to be able to make another one, one day.

I have not been a fan of Madden since it made the jump into the new generation of systems. What really pissed me off was they took a ton of the stuff that I like out of the game, only to add it back in and claim the game was new and improved. They lost me as a customer since then.

Okay so one thing I am lost about in this madden cover vote is Tiger Woods cheated on his wife, yes it was bad but many..... many of people have done this and he is losing money because of this including declined numbers in his sale.

Michael Vick killed dogs...... and he might become the next cover boy for Madden... again.

These guys leaving won't change the game. The higher ups are the ones who decide what features will be in the game and they don't allow a lot to happen so that the next year they can continue to add a few more features.

There is a lawsuit against EA Sports about the NFL licensing and how it is a monopoly. EASports sent me an email about it. I wouldn't mind if EA wasn't allowed exclusive rights to the NFL. Competition is good and helps business I feel.

These guys leaving won't change the game. The higher ups are the ones who decide what features will be in the game and they don't allow a lot to happen so that the next year they can continue to add a few more features.

There is a lawsuit against EA Sports about the NFL licensing and how it is a monopoly. EASports sent me an email about it. I wouldn't mind if EA wasn't allowed exclusive rights to the NFL. Competition is good and helps business I feel.

From what I heard that lawsuit doesn't have much ground to stand on. 2K has the same thing with baseball but, Sony still makes there own baseball game. 2K and other games game developing companies can make NFL based games like The Show did with it's game.

Also EA has changed a bunch of stuff at their company. They now are doing GM's for each game instead of for each studio. The new GM of Madden says he has a three year plan with Madden (to Madden 14). Three year plans for sports game are uncommon and the last successful three year plan that EA did was MVP baseball. So I am interested in seeing how this works out.

That lawsuit as presented doesn't make any legal sense.

Their main complaint is customers being "overcharged" - are Madden games significantly more expensive now than they were before they were exclusive? Or are they more expensive than other games of similar stature? No. Not by a long shot.

Should THQ be sued because they have exclusive rights to WWE games?

There is absolutely nothing illegal here, and I don't know what two bit law firm decided they had a good class-action suit on their hands.

I too would like to have alternatives - Blitz The League sucked (though we never got the second one here, it looked much better). Backbreaker was quite terrible before the patch, and good afterwards, but I feel they really skimped out on having NO characters at all. Faceless gimps with black visors, I don't recall if you could even change their size/proportions? Seriously, even just a handful of different face textures would have gone a long way.

I recently bought Madden 11. At first I had been buying in to all the anti-Madden hype, but then I tried the demo and loved it. It's bit "buttony" after playing BB, but I like all the detail that went into presentation, and the gameplay is good for a guy like me who (being from NZ) isn't all *that* familiar with the intricacies of the sport.

That lawsuit as presented doesn't make any legal sense.

Their main complaint is customers being "overcharged" - are Madden games significantly more expensive now than they were before they were exclusive? Or are they more expensive than other games of similar stature? No. Not by a long shot.

Should THQ be sued because they have exclusive rights to WWE games?

There is absolutely nothing illegal here, and I don't know what two bit law firm decided they had a good class-action suit on their hands.

I too would like to have alternatives - Blitz The League sucked (though we never got the second one here, it looked much better). Backbreaker was quite terrible before the patch, and good afterwards, but I feel they really skimped out on having NO characters at all. Faceless gimps with black visors, I don't recall if you could even change their size/proportions? Seriously, even just a handful of different face textures would have gone a long way.

I recently bought Madden 11. At first I had been buying in to all the anti-Madden hype, but then I tried the demo and loved it. It's bit "buttony" after playing BB, but I like all the detail that went into presentation, and the gameplay is good for a guy like me who (being from NZ) isn't all *that* familiar with the intricacies of the sport.

The presentation was done well for Madden 11, but there is still a bunch of stuff they could have done better. Last year leading up to the game release they had a whole video with the creators about stuff they did to enhance the presentation. One thing they talked about was the running joke about the opening of the game and talking about the QB's and it was still awful. There wasn't (from what I saw) a difference in QB comparisons game to game. It was still we have two QB's with a lot of exp. in these types of games. It didn't matter if he was starting his first game ever.

They did do well the music and I thought that was really cool, but if they really wanna get B.A with it how about the fact that each stadium has different custom songs. Maybe doing one of the custom songs from each stadium. Also Gus didn't do horrible on the game, I am starting to pray Chris isn't on the game this year but, I haven't heard anything yet to say other wise. Biggest problem with Gus was he sometimes got to into something when it truly wasn't something to get excited about. I personally think Madden should get Radio guys. They don't have to be seen, can be more entertaining (seriously I would rather listen to a game on radio then listen to announcers on tv) and are probably cheaper.

Make Franchise mode more realistic. RFA, combine, let me train people, let me hire a full staff. I was truly excited last year when they said the guys who did NFL Head Coach were going to control Madden Franchise. Now I am not sure if they got there to late or what, but it was honestly the same mode with nothing new as the year before.

Last thing, get rid of the QB comparison, what if it's the Vikes vs Titians. The last thing on peoples mind is the QB battle, it's going to be AP vs CJ. So why not put different people in the spotlight.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/04/15/madden-creative-director-ian-cummings-confirms-departure-from-tiburon

So Ian took the game over right around the time the switched to next gen. Ian pretty much stripped the game of a lot of features that fans liked. He thought that if the gameplay was better fans would forget about the others. The first 2 years people were okay with it, but repeated games of certain area's not being touch really had fans up in arms about him.

Internal reports out of EA were that Cummings was on a short lease with EA to start. The game was pushed back for no reason other then giving NCAA more time by itself but NCAA has sale an increase in sales this year while Madden saw an 18% decrease in sales. Many believe the game is behind on completion and that the extra three weeks was to give it more time.

Ian to me wasn't the best person to actually run the game. I thought he did do a nice job with improve presentation, but outside of that the game seemed to suffer with everything outside of Online gaming and improvements to playing the game. Features such as Online Franchise, Franchise, and Superstar mode all suffered under him and never saw new stuff be added, but things actually being taken away.

Also one other thing. EA has been doing that dumb releasing of the plays. Half of these plays were in the games last year they were just given a different name.

From what I heard that lawsuit doesn't have much ground to stand on. 2K has the same thing with baseball but, Sony still makes there own baseball game. 2K and other games game developing companies can make NFL based games like The Show did with it's game.

2K let people make other baseball games not named EA. EA won't let anyone make a football game.

I understand people wanting more things each year but I still feel that Madden is a very fun Pro Football game. I will probably buy it again this year. I am still doing a franchise with the Lions on last years game.

I don't have a problem with Madden. Don't play much, but I think people want it all and that will never happen.

You can't please everyone, but they please enough people to still make money! :p

I don't have a problem with Madden. Don't play much, but I think people want it all and that will never happen.

You can't please everyone, but they please enough people to still make money! :p

I am not mad at Madden for not putting more features in and neither are most people. Most are mad because they haven't touched Franchise and Superstar mode in years (unless taking stuff out of them). Ian wanted to improve the presentation of Madden and he did a nice job with that (even though there are still parts I hate about presentation in Madden). I just want them to truly upgrade Franchise and Superstar mode and not say they will and never touch it. Also you have a deal with ESPN and you haven't used them.

I am not mad at Madden for not putting more features in and neither are most people. Most are mad because they haven't touched Franchise and Superstar mode in years (unless taking stuff out of them). Ian wanted to improve the presentation of Madden and he did a nice job with that (even though there are still parts I hate about presentation in Madden). I just want them to truly upgrade Franchise and Superstar mode and not say they will and never touch it. Also you have a deal with ESPN and you haven't used them.

I agree with you, like I said once they made the jump to the current generation, the game just sucked. They took out a lot of features that I enjoyed from the Franchise mode (I hate the Superstar mode so they can do whatever the hell they want to do with that mode.). As corny as it sounds, the one feature I really enjoyed was the radio station. Even if a lot of it was just played on one big loop, it was still enjoyable to me.

2K let people make other baseball games not named EA. EA won't let anyone make a football game.

Interesting business related fact. 2K Sports pays four times as much as SCEA does each year for the MLB license due to the third party exclusive.

So what this means is EA and 2K are both third party games (non exclusive to console) to where SCEA (who makes the show) is a first party developer (one console game developer). EA owns the exclusive rights to NFL games. They paid a boat load of money to stop anyone from doing another NFL based game and have screwed themselves in some areas (like retired players whose likeness were used.)

So 2K isn't nice and allows others to develop games, SCEA pays MLB and are allowed to do it because they are 1st party game.

I honestly dont know why I would ever play Madden besides if it is just with friends. It has no replay value and the career modes are the same and have inferrior presentation to the NCAA game.

I have always preferred the college game mainly because of the large selection of half decent teams (seriously, I dont know if 10 different teams even get used in Madden on a regular basis.). The presentation for the career modes is superrior and unique (Espn magazine bits are awesome) and the gameplay presentation is better because it seriously feels like a live CFB game, and from a city where ameatur sports are more popular than the pro ones, It really stands out to me.

How can 2 games be so similar, but so, so, different.

I honestly dont know why I would ever play Madden besides if it is just with friends. It has no replay value and the career modes are the same and have inferrior presentation to the NCAA game.

I have always preferred the college game mainly because of the large selection of half decent teams (seriously, I dont know if 10 different teams even get used in Madden on a regular basis.). The presentation for the career modes is superrior and unique (Espn magazine bits are awesome) and the gameplay presentation is better because it seriously feels like a live CFB game, and from a city where ameatur sports are more popular than the pro ones, It really stands out to me.

How can 2 games be so similar, but so, so, different.

maybe because there is so much history you can play with in NCAA. Madden half the teams have only be around since like 1950's to where NCAA 50 schools have been playing football for 90 years plus.

Archived