The Movie Game Thread

mad5226

Title- Tearing On The Lease Of Conformity

Lead Actor- Samuel Jackson - $100,000

Lead Actress- Julia Roberts - $75,000

Director - Steven Spielberg - $250,000

Genre- Drama

Plot- Abraham Lenzing (Samuel Jackson) is a man who has just been diagnosed with a head tumor and is given 6 months to live so he looks back at his life so far. A failed marriage, two estranged kids and a lowlying drug problem.

With all this in mind he decided to end it all by jumping off the golden gate. While standing on the edge of the barrier a middle aged women who happens to walk by, stops and begins talking to Abraham, this woman goes by simply Alexis (Played By Julia Roberts)

Her story is just like Abraham's except with a few differences: a failed marriage, an estranged child and 3 miscarriages.

The two become friends and the closer to Abraham's death date that they get, the closer the two become. About a month from the end of Abraham's life they begin a relationship together and live happily until a week from his expected death when Abraham is given the option of a special operation to remove the tumour, which he accepts.

In a life-threatening operation Abraham over comes a stroke and a heart attack.

When he wakes up, he sees Alexis who is crying with happiness: The operation was a success.

Location- San Francisco

Budget- Actors $175,000 + Director: $250,000 + Production Costs $50,000 + Marketing: $250,000 = $725,000

Duration - 1 Hour & 40 Minutes

Budget after this film: $1283020

Tearing on the Lease of Conformity, I believe, was just an attempt to rid the world of the problems that the Rebecca Black movie created.

And it was a decent attempt.

It won't be a box office success by any means, the carryover coming from the aforementioned movie will hurt it. But it will be one definitely to rent on DVD, I assure you.

It's an interesting concept at the beginning: Man's about to die. He decides to get it over with. He gets stopped by a stranger. They have stuff in common. They develop a relationship.

Sadly, until the news of the surgery with about twenty minutes left in the movie, we are drug through these two characters getting to know each other better and starting their romance. It is a long and weary part of the movie, not enough moments to keep you entertained.

The performances by Samuel L. Jackson and Julia Roberts were great individually, but they had absolutely zero chemistry. It separated them more than bring them together on camera, it seemed.

But, in the end, TheEffect and their movies will get a little bit of a reaction from the general public following a movie catastrophe.

Bottom Line: Great beginning, boring middle, decent ending. One to rent.

Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars

Revenue: $600,000

TheEffect now has $1,883,000.

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep that is the plan. I wanted to do it last night, but it got to late and I just didn't finish everything I wanted to. I've been keeping running totals so once we finish up the reviews for the night my new "and improved" list will be out.

Cool, I was thinking of doing some graphs of each studio's progress at some point, and that'd make things heaps easier if there's a simple day by day break down.

Ashley Tisdale is now unavailable to play any movies geared at kids and will also work for 10,000 dollars

On the bright side, I DID help contribute to a Disney queen getting away from that image. That's always a positive for me...I mean, she could use a little growing up.

In real life, she recently did a not-so kiddie photo shoot...just saying...

Holy crap, Mel Brooks is one of the highest costing directors?? He must have had some really good movies come out in the last decade that I missed ;)

Anyhow, can I get some price quotes on these horror directors? Lucky McKee, Tobe Hooper, and Eli Roth

Paul W.S. Anderson also, in case I need a studio yes-man director :)

Starting budget: 2,160,000

Dubbsie Films presents ...

Title: The Push

Lead Actress - Katee Sackhoff (25,000)

Supporting Actor - Christoph Waltz (30,000)

Supporting Actor - Jason Lee (50,000)

Supporting Actrress - Gina Carano (25,000 - took a guess on this)

Supporting Actress - Trish Stratus (25,000)

Director - Ang Lee (125,000)

Genre - Sports drama

Plot

Fictional Cecilia Lang (Katee Sackhoff) is the daughter of Emil Lang (Chrstoph Waltz), a retired German-American grappler and "shooter" who was known to professional wrestling fans as Panzer Lang. The film is divided into three parts. The first part of focuses on Cecilia training for and winning an Olypmic medalin wrestling. This part of the film is setup by a montage of footage showing a young Cecilia, always under the watchful eye of her father, participating in various athletic endeavours as a child. In the present, the film portrays Cecilia as being almost universally focused on perfecting her technique, as she takes the lessons from her coaches and perfects them by working with her supportive father.

The second part of the film details Cecilia's life after amateur wrestling. Emil pushes her toward professional wrestling, while Cecilia expresses a desire to be a mixed martial artist. Against her father's wishes, Cecilia starts a career as a professional fighter. Still images, clips of fights, and clips of training sessions speed us through her career, while making it clear that she wants nothing more than to have her father's support. After 6 wins, Cecilia (who has name value, given her Olympic success), is given a title match in a major MMA promotion against Tracy Lovato (played in a short cameo by MMA star Gina Carano). The fight is intense, with Lovato winning rounds one through three and bloodying Cecilia in the process. In the fourth round, Cecilia secures a takedown and earns a submission. While celebrating her victory in the cage, Cecilia spots, for the first time in her fight career, her father in the crowd. After the fight, she approaches her father to celebrate. He stares at her bloody and bruised face, shakes his head, and walks away.

The third part of the film shows Cecilia entering the world of professional wrestling. This part of the film again makes use of a montage of footage that suggests that Cecilia is doing this to appease her father, while also taking time to show glimpses of her training for wrestling. Mr. Heyshoff (Jason Lee), the incredibly sleazy and inappropriate owner of the World Wrestling Organization is introduced during this section of the film. He pushes Cecilia to adopt a sexy persona and the audience is exposed to her distraught at having to dress, do make-up, and act a certain way. At first, she is able to deal with this, as she is given in-ring time and allowed to display her athleticism. As time progresses though, she is given less time in the ring and used more in as a sex icon. Eventually, Mr. Heyshoff forces Cecilia to do an "HLA" scene with wrestling icon Lauren Wilson (Trish Stratus). The experience tramautizes Cecilia, who, in an emotional scene, tells her father that she wants to quit. A screaming match emerges, and he (a former WWO star himself), pressures her to stay with the business. Mr. Heyshoff tries to take advantage of the situation (as the internet has made her displeasure well known) and writes Cecilia into a storyline where she's forced to demean herself to gain ring-time. This culminates in a scene where Cecilia is supposed to perform fictional favors for Mr. Heyshoff during a live television show. She refuses and quits.

The final scene shows an older Cecilia holding the hand of her daughter in gym. After a word of encouragement, she sends her daughter off a group of young children engaging in wrestling practice. Cecilia turns to train a group of adult women, and the scene pans out, revealing that the gym belongs to Cecilia. As the credits roll, the camera focuses on pictures on the wall at the gym, which reveal that Cecilia returned to MMA and went onto have a successful career.

Production Notes: Dubbsie Films, when they first accepted the script for this film, intended to use a professional wrestling or MMA fighter for the main lead. After discussions with director Ang Lee, they opted to go with Sackhoff instead, as she was known for "tough girl" roles and because there was concern that a non-trained actress would be incapable of displaying the range of emotions required for the role. The use of clips and still images to setup the different parts of the film were the brainchild of Ang Lee.

Location - Hollywood

Budget - 1.1 million (255,000 cast and crew, 595,000 production, 250,000 promotion)

Duration - 116 minutes

Dubbsie films comes back with a gritty look at MMA and the WWE (although no one in, around or associated with the movie will say anything but WWO). Katee Sackoff shines in a role that seems to be what she was born to play. Fringe Oscar talk for this role. Waltz plays a great mix of tough guy and loving father, which makes the poignant yelling match all the more emotional.

Unfortunately, Ang Lee ruins quite a few scenes with his questionable directing. It truly upsets the flow and leaves viewers confused at some points. It should also be mentioned that Jason Lee did not perform well at all, dragging what could have been the most powerful parts of the movie down.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Revenue: 1.4 Million

Effects:

+ Ang Lee will work for 100,000

+ Katee Sackoff is now asking for 50,000

+ Jason Lee needs a good role to shake off this stinker. He will work for 10,000 for any company who has had a 4 star movie or better (Not counting Astilian Productions)

Dubbsie Films now has 2,460,000 dollars

THE LIST:

Best in Vermont - Astil

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

At the end of your movie post, copy THE LIST and add your movie to the bottom

On the bright side, I DID help contribute to a Disney queen getting away from that image. That's always a positive for me...I mean, she could use a little growing up.

In real life, she recently did a not-so kiddie photo shoot...just saying...

Much rather have Branda Song, but hey thats just me.

If posting is closed for the night, when can the first movie get posted for the following day?

Monday May 16th at 12:01 AM EST

EDIT: Just got the best idea for my next movie! Can't wait until Monday!

Holy crap, Mel Brooks is one of the highest costing directors?? He must have had some really good movies come out in the last decade that I missed ;)

Anyhow, can I get some price quotes on these horror directors? Lucky McKee, Tobe Hooper, and Eli Roth

Paul W.S. Anderson also, in case I need a studio yes-man director :)

Mel Brooks is a legend!

Also, Will Suck Anderson should be on the list. He was on my initial directors list, I think someone has even used him.

EDIT: I had him at 75,000 on the initial list (not sure it has changed though).

Title- Best in Vermont

Lead Actor- Justin Long - 30,000 ?

Lead Actress-

Supporting Actor- Neil Patrick Harris - 50,000

Supporting Actress- (See above.)

Director - David Ficher - 100,000

Genre- Drama

Plot- Everywhere around Treebark, VT people talk about them. They are the best Funk/Lounge/Heavy Metal band in New England, possibly the world! They are ... Edward and the Edwards. Edward Cunningham (Neil Patrick Harris) is the front man and band starter.

This is not his movie though. Justin Long plays drummer and backup singer Francis Lavoie. Whenever Francis provides back up vocals (not actually Long's voice) into the bands songs, the crowds go crazy.

Francis is dealing with a weighty dilema. He feels that Edward's local celebraty status has caused him to become complacent. He feels Edward and the Edwards could be so much more. Finally he confronts Edward, who agrees and says he got them opening for Coheed and Cambrio (part of my production cost) in Boston.

Unfortunately while in Boston, Edward seems more focused on bars and woman than the band. The entire band almost walks out on them, but Francis keeps it together. They play the sold out show to good results.

At the after party Francis is moping just watching Edward hit on tons of chicks. Coheed aproaches Francis and tells him he has the best voice he has ever heard and they know a nationally touring band that needs a singer.

Francis agrees excited, but as soon as Coheed walk away he realizes he will be leaving his friends. He does not want to tell them, but eventually does. All three band members congratulate him, and it seems Edward is giving him the most praise, genuinely happy for his success.

The movie ends with Francis saying that was ten years ago and now ... an announcer hyping up the new band ... Francis and the Edwards!

Location- Boston and town in Vermont

Budget- Actors: 180,000 Production: 320,000 Hype: 500,000 Total: 1 Million

Duration - 104 Minutes

THE LIST:

Kicks for Hicks - TheLeviticalLawKid3

Tearing On The Lease Of Conformity - TheEffect

The Push - d_w_w

Best in Vermont - Astil

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

At the end of your movie post, copy THE LIST and add your movie to the bottom

Astilian Productions brings us Best in Vermont starring Justin Long. In it Long is a backup singer in a band who dreams of making it big time, his problem is the lead singer of the band, Edward (played by Neil Patrick Harris), seems more interested in being a celebrity than a musician. However, when the band gets their big break to shine it’s Long’s character Francis, who steps it up. As a result he gets an offer to sing for a huge band, the only problem is he would have to leave his friends.

Astilian Productions does a nice job capturing some of the conflict most bands have to go through, but the conflict in the story seemed to be lacking. Neil Patrick Harris nailed his role as the egotistical band leader and seems to have the part down to a science. All in all a decent attempt at a movie, that I didn’t love, but I can see doing well at the box office.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Revenue: 2,500,000

Effects:

Neil Patrick Harris now wants 75,000 per movie

During production a fire broke out on stage and burned the arm of Justin Long, as a result he will be unable to work for 3 days.

Astilian Productions now has a balance of 4,685,000

Mel Brooks is a legend!

Also, Will Suck Anderson should be on the list. He was on my initial directors list, I think someone has even used him.

EDIT: I had him at 75,000 on the initial list (not sure it has changed though).

Paul Thomas Anderson is the only Paul Anderson I can see on the list, but there's a MASSSSIVE difference in talent between those two :D

And Legend or not, the last movie Mel Brooks directed was in 1995! ;)

During production a fire broke out on stage and burned the arm of Justin Long, as a result he will be unable to work for 3 days.

Noooooo!

How will I make Justin Long into the greatest actor ever now?

Monday May 16th at 12:01 AM EST

EDIT: Just got the best idea for my next movie! Can't wait until Monday!

That my friend is what we like to call false information :p... IF, we decide to do awards tomorrow, which to be honest I'm thinking not, I've gotten a few PM's suggesting we hold off and I tend to agree, then I will get on here on Monday and say The day has now begun. If I had to put a time on it I would say around 9AM EST. Reason being I tend to do updates and such until late into the night. Like right now for example I have yet to close out the day, but by these standards you guys would already be posting

That my friend is what we like to call false information :p... IF, we decide to do awards tomorrow, which to be honest I'm thinking not, I've gotten a few PM's suggesting we hold off and I tend to agree, then I will get on here on Monday and say The day has now begun. If I had to put a time on it I would say around 9AM EST. Reason being I tend to do updates and such until late into the night. Like right now for example I have yet to close out the day, but by these standards you guys would already be posting

Well then... my bad :D

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mad5226" data-cite="mad5226" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31201" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>just claim it as such?</div></blockquote><p> Well, casting would be cheaper for a documentary, because you use real people instead of actors. And based on a true story would be just a tweaked documentary. Alrighty.</p>

<p>Hmm documentaries are a difficult one I think.. since typically a production studio is just buying the finished product to distribute, if I'm right in thinking. So the only costs would be for the rights and marketing. (Of course, higher costs for rights could indicate that there was a lot of bidding going on between studios, and therefore is more likely to be good)</p><p> </p><p>

The only times I would imagine things to be different is if you've got a well known documentarian (such as Michael Moore) who could <em>possibly</em> get a documentary funded right from the outset, based on concept alone.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mad5226" data-cite="mad5226" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31201" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>how do i post a screen shot on here?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You'll have to save it on your computer and then upload it to photobucket or something similar first, then just use the <span></span> tags.</p>

Archived