WWF 1987: Unstoppable Force Meets Immovable Object

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/wwf1987/andrehulk.jpg

The year where the immovable object known as Andre the Giant meets the unstoppable force known as Hulkamania.

Which larger-than-life character will walk away with the WWF World Heavyweight title? Which top wrestler will simply walk away? Will the world be the same?

This is the World Wrestling Federation

OOC NOTES

-While I have said before that I would not be running anymore real world diaries, the release of Genadi's 1987 mod was too tempting to resist. Those of you who are writers understand what I mean by that and that itch coming that needs to be scratched.

-As of right now, I am planning on running this diary in moreso weekly recap style than on show by show basis. This will mean less writing for me and it will also allow me to get my story out at the same time. With that being said, I am toying with doing a full writeup for the pay-per-views rather than simply a recap of the week's happenings. Which means for the pay-per-views I will be running prediction contests to be determined later on.

-I will also be working side by side with a member of my creative team: jhd1. He is a creative mind to say the least and I have him to thank for helping me out with this one.

-This should have no effect on my current running TCW diary.

-I hope everyone enjoys this trip down an alternate universe and right down memory lane.

hmmm. Seems intereasting, will read. :)

Thanks a lot! Your diary has been a good read so far as well.

I've been looking forward to reading Genadi 1987 based circuits. I agree with your approach on recaps. To me, what's important to read as a viewer is the booking decisions and the business angle. I don't necessarily need detail (unless it enhances certain decisions angles).

I am glad to see my approach definitely has someone on its side. I am envisioning these recaps as kind of like those Event Centers that WWF used to have back in the day and will include some interviews and match recaps.

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/shawkes/wwf1987/WWFSuperstars.jpg</span><p> </p><p>

<em><span style="font-family:'CENTURY GOTHIC';">[A commercial begins to play airing on each of the networks that play WWF Superstars of Wrestling. Make sure you tune in to WWF Superstars, now 2 hours in length! You will see such WWF Superstars as 'The Immortal' Hulk Hogan, 'The Eighth Wonder of the World' Andre the Giant, Jake 'The Snake' Roberts and more!]</span></em></p></div><p></p><p></p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31293" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div style="text-align:center;"><div><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;">WWF SUPERSTARS OF WRESTLING</span></em></strong><p><strong><em><span style="text-decoration:underline;"> Taped Thursday Week 1 March 1987</span></em></strong></p><p> </p><p> <span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em>Kamala vs. Billy Jack Haynes</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Iron Mike Sharpe vs. Jake Roberts</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff vs. The Islanders</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Dino Bravo vs. Ricky Steamboat</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> The Dream Team vs. The British Bulldogs</em></strong></span></p><p><span style="font-family:'Century Gothic';"><strong><em> Paul Orndorff vs. Roddy Piper</em></strong></span></p><p></p></div></div><div></div></blockquote></div><p></p><p> ...</p>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="HugeRockStar760" data-cite="HugeRockStar760" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31293" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've never understood the need to describe, move for move, an entire match. I'm not sure what the point is. Anyways, looking forward to the first show.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><em>Some people do enjoy reading the longer match writeups. Though I'll never be one to completely write up matches to begin with.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Beejus" data-cite="Beejus" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31293" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hells yeah angel hitting the 87! If this one doesn't hold your interest think we'll get a JCP one? Hopefully this one will hold you though, because I love a good real world ad diary!</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><em>It's great to have you back with me Beejus! If I end up canning this one then a JCP one could possibly be in the works later on.</em></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="juggaloninjalee" data-cite="juggaloninjalee" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31293" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I never did like long match recaps. Really looking forward to this. My current game is WWF 1987. I occasionally play my TCW game when I get annoyed with the bad attitudes of WWF 87.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <strong><em>WWF 1987 is definitely an interesting time period. Especially with WrestleMania III and my take on it. Hope you'll enjoy it.</em></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p>

<p>WWF SUPERSTARS OF WRESTLING</p><p>

Taped Thursday Week 1 March 1987</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Kamala </strong>vs. Billy Jack Haynes</p><p>

Iron Mike Sharpe vs. <strong>Jake Roberts</strong></p><p>

<strong>The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff </strong>vs. The Islanders</p><p>

Dino Bravo vs. <strong>Ricky Steamboat</strong></p><p>

The Dream Team vs. <strong>The British Bulldogs</strong></p><p>

Paul Orndorff vs. <strong>Roddy Piper</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Love this era and will be reading as always</p>

<p><strong>Kamala</strong> vs. Billy Jack Haynes</p><p>

<strong>The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff</strong> vs. The Islanders</p><p>

Paul Orndorff vs. <strong>Roddy Piper</strong></p>

Kamala vs. <strong>Billy Jack Haynes</strong></p><p>

Kamala vs. <strong>Billy Jack Haynes</strong></p><p>

<strong>Paul Orndorff </strong>vs. Roddy Piper</p>

<p>Oldschool WWF!!! I'm on board</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Kamala</strong> vs. Billy Jack Haynes</p><p>

One of my all time favorite gimmicks</p><p> </p><p>

This one's easy</p><p> </p><p>

The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff vs. <strong>The Islanders</strong></p><p>

More upside at this point in time...</p><p> </p><p>

One of my all time favorite wrestlers</p><p> </p><p>

Bulldogs hitting their peak.. </p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Paul Orndorff vs. Roddy Piper</strong></p><p>

Has to be a no decision leading to major PPV</p>

OOC NOTES

-A couple of notes here.

-First is that I have decided that the first prediction contest will be going through WrestleMania III. I will not be doing predictions for Wrestling Challenge, the B-Show, because it is simply that, a B-Show. So this means that there will be four shows and then the pay-per-view on the first prediction contest.

-Secondly, I am looking to do one recap a week on this one so I don't feel the need to go too fast. As of this moment, the recap is set to air on Saturdays. This means that as of right now I am planning to air the first recap one week from today. That gives plenty of time for writing, questions, comments, predictions, etc.

-Lastly, again, I hope you all enjoy my take on the WWF 1987.

<strong>Paul Orndorff</strong> vs. <strong>Roddy Piper</strong></p><p>

Draw</p>

<strong>The Dream Team</strong> vs. The British Bulldogs</p><p>

<p>Kamala vs. <strong>Billy Jack Haynes</strong></p><p>

trying to push the Islanders in my game but I'll go with common sense here</p><p>

love the dream team but the Bulldogs don't lose unless your playing with owner goals on</p><p>

<strong>Paul Orndorff</strong> vs. Roddy Piper</p>

Kamala vs. <em>Billy Jack Haynes</em></p><p><em>

I really have no idea who'll take this one. I give it to Haynes just because this is probably going to be fairly realistic and Vince loved his cowboys.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Iron Mike Sharpe vs. <em>Jake Roberts</em></p><p><em>

Nice jobber squash for the Snake.</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff vs. <em>The Islanders</em></p><p><em>

Aren't these two teams both heel? Kind of an odd match given it's 87. But I give it to the Islanders because, well, talent over age.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Dino Bravo vs. <em>Ricky Steamboat</em></p><p><em>

I advise that no one defeat Steamboat right now. Hell, right now? Change that to ever!</em></p><p> </p><p>

The Dream Team vs. <em>The British Bulldogs</em></p><p><em>

Bulldogs are a win here simply because you're going to need face teams with momentum.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Paul Orndorff vs. <em>Roddy Piper</em></p><p><em>

I say this for the simple reason that Piper has a major feud and match coming up at Mania, and Orndorff doesn't.</em></p>

WWF SUPERSTARS OF WRESTLING

Aren't these two teams both heel? Kind of an odd match given it's 87. But I give it to the Islanders because, well, talent over age.

Nah, Haku & Tama were faces until after Wrestlemania - they were meant to feud with Bundy & Studd but that got shelved when BJS left.

Think you're getting mixed up with The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) who were also still on the books at the time.

WWF SUPERSTARS OF WRESTLING

Taped Thursday Week 1 March 1987

Kamala vs. Billy Jack Haynes

Toughest one to call of the night and I initially Haynes down for the win but I think some Hercules interference might tip the balance in favour of the Ugandan giant without hurting Billy Jack too much!

Iron Mike Sharpe vs. Jake Roberts

I expect some Honky Tonk interference post match but The Snake has enough to win.

The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff vs. The Islanders

Uless you've got something in mind for The Islanders, I think they're cannon fodder at this point in time.

Dino Bravo vs. Ricky Steamboat

Ricky is one of the most over guys on the roster. Losing to him won't hurt Dino too much.

Dream Team vs. The British Bulldogs

You need decent pop face stars - Brutus has the makings of one (just as he did in reality) but you need a reason for a face turn and these things tend to start with losing streaks! Also The Bulldogs are in a programme with the Harts and both teams will need built up if they're to do any decent business in four weeks time.

Paul Orndorff vs. Roddy Piper

Piper has his big blow-off with Adrian on the horizon and he doesn't do the job very often... plus he's crazy over right now.

It's a bit face heavy but I imagine the heels will strike back next week.

Nah, Haku & Tama were faces until after Wrestlemania - they were meant to feud with Bundy & Studd but that got shelved when BJS left.

Think you're getting mixed up with The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika) who were also still on the books at the time.

Nah, I was just thinking of the wrong timeframe. I remember them as with Heenan against the Bulldogs. But on looking through the mod, I saw that they were face. Guess I learned something new.

OOC NOTES

-Thank you to everyone who made predictions/comments so far. I read them all and sometimes re-read them as they are a true source of inspiration.

-I have been doing a lot of thinking about how I am going to run this diary. Right now, I am leaning toward the monthly recap style instead of the weekly recap style that I was going to run. That style will be reminiscent of Bigpapa42's monthly recap style for his diary down in the Special Dynasty section, which can be found here: World Championship Wrestling: Empire

-With that being said, I am going to try to reach the Saturday deadline but not sure if that will be feasible. And, yes, there will still be a prediction contest as well. It just will mostly be for the pay-per-views and perhaps any other questions that I can bring up.

Archived