WWF 1987: The New Challenge

Okay, so it's diary time again... I'm going to stick with this one - I promise!

To make things simpler: there is no epic sweeping back story - it's quite simply a different direction that the WWF could have gone in if things had been slightly different.

I have some self-imposed hiring rules so don't expect to see the Federation swamped with NWA and AWA talent prior to Wrestlemania (although some will come and some will go as time moves on).

I am posting the first full show for Superstars of Wrestling, which will give you an idea of the style I am using (I'm going for a more reporting style than character based) and I hope this will give me a bit more longevity (the idea of doing promos for the likes of Hillbilly Jim & Brutus Beefcake is enough to drive me to despair...). Likewise lengthy match reports was never my thing.

Every game month or so I'll post a recap of the month in wrestling which will cover what the competition is doing as well as any hirings and firings from my own company.

For note: the only firings I have made at the beginning of the game are the four midget workers and the women's division.

At the end of the third post in the thread (Wrestling Challenge write-up - which as a B Show will be shorter than the Superstars one) I will post quick picks for next week's shows so feel free to have a guess - all comments and thoughts are welcomed as although I have a rough idea of where I want to go, I'm trying to make this a more organic diary than I have worked on in the past.

So it's on with the show(s)!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUPERSTARS OF WRESTLING

From the DC Armory (Washington, DC)

Dark match – Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff defeated Lanny Poffo with a lariat to warm the crowd up. ©

Before the show can begin Magnificent Muraco, Bob Orton Jr & Mr. Fuji hit the ring to tell anyone who’ll listen that they’re the best tag team in the world today and that it’s a travesty that they’re not getting the opportunity to prove that on Superstars of Wrestling. (B-)

-The Show-

The show begins in an unfamiliar corporate boardroom. Sitting behind his desk Jack Tunney announces that from tonight Superstars of Wrestling will run for two hours a week of solid action as a thank you to all the fans of the World Wrestling Federation. To celebrate the occasion, we’re going to have Hulk Hogan & Andre the Giant on opposite sides of the ring for the main event. Hogan will team with his good buddy Hillbilly Jim to take on the team of Andre & King Kong Bundy! (B-)

--

Honky Tonk Man b. Tito Santana

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Honky Tonk Man bested Tito Santana in 8:12 by pinfall with the Shake, Rattle, and Roll after Jimmy Hart interfered in what had been a fairly even encounter. Tito can justifiably feel hard done by with this one. (C+)

--

Lord Alfred Hayes conducts an interview with Jake the Snake Roberts hyping his upcoming match at Wrestlemania III with the Honky Tonk Man. Roberts tells Hayes that not only will he prove himself to be a better wrestler but his corner man, Alice Cooper, will cancel out the threat of Jimmy Hart imposing himself on the match. (C+)

--

The Can-Am Connection b. Jimmy Jack Funk & The Assassin

In an extremely short match, Can-Am Connection defeated Jimmy Jack Funk and The Assassin in 4:30 when Tom Zenk pinned The Assassin following a Missile Dropkick. The Connection unusually dominated the match and showed a ruthless streak that had been missing from their recent encounters. (D-)

--

We’re in the locker room of the WWF Champion as Hulk Hogan & Hillbilly Jim give us their thoughts on tonight’s main event with Mean Gene Okerlund. Okerlund stresses that tests don’t come much bigger than the Colossal Connection of Andre the Giant & King Kong Bundy. Hogan tells Bobby Heenan that he’s done him a favour by showing him who he can and can’t trust. He knows Hillbilly Jim has got his back and in return Hogan will be there for him whenever he’s needed. The segment ends with Okerlund holding his earpiece and telling the champ and Jim that he’s received word that Bobby Heenan has a special video message he wants to play for the two men later on this evening. Hogan and Hillbilly Jim have puzzled looks on their faces as we cut away. (C+)

--

A graphic on screen tells us that Ricky Steamboat will be in action next week against Dino Bravo! (C+)

--

Interview time with Randy Savage who warns Bravo not to get too carried away next week as Savage wants to finish Steamboat off for himself at Wrestlemania III. (A)

--

Davey Boy Smith b. Jim Neidhart

A special attraction match to build interest in the Wrestlemania re-match between the British Bulldogs & the Hart Foundation, Smith was accompanied to the ring by Dynamite Kid (who served as Smith’s manager) while Bret Hart joined Jimmy Hart at the corner of The Anvil. A very close match that could have gone either way went in favour of the challengers when Davey Boy Smith showed impressive strength in pinning Jim Neidhart in 10:08 after a Running Powerslam. (C+)

--

The match is over and Bret Hart jumps into the ring, coming nose to nose with Smith. Before things can get out of hand, Dynamite Kid is by his cousin’s side. Neidhart begins jawing with Smith, claiming that he had a handful of tights. Smith doesn’t react but the Dynamite Kid does – he throws a right hand at The Anvil and the four men erupt in a brawl – a team of referees and officials hit the ring to break things up but the four continue to trade blows as they are lead to the back. (D+)

--

Gorilla Monsoon, Jesse Ventura & Vince McMahon remind us of tonight’s main event and that there’ll be more Heenan Family tag action next week as Hercules & King Harley Race join forces to face Junkyard Dog & Billy Jack Haynes. (C+)

--

It’s time for Bobby Heenan’s special video message. The video is ‘an on-location’ report from Mudlick, Kentucky – home of Hillbilly Jim! Heenan and King Kong Bundy (in his black singlet and wrestling boots… obviously) are shown wandering around the time referring to it as a rural hellhole, the locals become increasingly irritated with the pair and Heenan goads them into betting their homes and businesses on Hillbilly Jim winning his bout with King Kong Bundy at Wrestlemania! Heenan claims that gambling, along with intimate relationships with pigs and geese is legal in this part of Kentucky. (B-)

--

Roddy Piper b. Brutus Beefcake

In something of a breakout bout for Brutus Beefcake, that featured great action and a good crowd, Roddy Piper showed his ruthless side when he capitalised on Adrian Adonis’ almost inevitable interruption to lock on a sleeper hold on Beefcake and to send him out for the count in 14:17. Up to that point Beefcake had looked dangerous and had Piper in trouble a few times. (B-)

--

The match is over and Piper chases Adonis from the ring, who drops the set of hair clippers he had been carrying as he runs. Beefcake is still out for the count and Piper switches his gaze between his unconscious foe and the clippers. The crowd know what’s coming... Unable to help himself, Piper picks up the clippers and begins to cut Beefcake’s hair! Brutus wakes and flips out! He escapes Piper’s hold but the Rowdy One is left with a clump of Beefcake’s hair in his hand as the bagpipes begin to play, Beefcake backs out of the ring area, one hand clapped to his head while he points at Piper in the ring, in utter dis-belief! (B)

--

A video plays hyping the Andre the Giant & Hulk Hogan feud that will lead them to a Wrestlemania III showdown. (A)

--

Andre the Giant & King Kong Bundy b. Hillbilly Jim & Hulk Hogan Our main event featured great action and a good crowd the early going of which had Hillbilly Jim being dominated by his larger foes (and their double teaming tactics) before making the hot tag to the WWF Champion. Despite cleaning house and looking strong whenever he was in the ring, his loyalty to his friend proved his downfall as when he tagged Jim back in, the tide turned the way of the heels. While Hogan was being distracted by Bobby Heenan, Bundy hit Hillbilly Jim with the avalanche and Andre The Giant finished him off with a big splash for the 1-2-3. (B)

--

Afterwards Bundy, Heenan & Andre all celebrate their win and the obvious psychological blow this will have on both Hillbilly Jim & Hulk Hogan before their Wrestlemania showdowns. (B+)

Overall: B-

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><strong><span style="color:#FF0000;"><span style="font-size:12px;">WRESTLING CHALLENGE</span></span></strong></p><p><strong> </strong><strong><span style="font-size:10px;">MD COPPIN CENTER (BALTIMORE, MD) (2000)</span></strong></p></div><p></p><p></p><p> </p><p> • <strong>Butch Reed b. Danny Spivey </strong>(D+)</p><p> </p><p> • Post Match Promo: <strong>Butch Reed </strong>declares himself to be the most gifted athlete in the WWF and is issuing an open challenge for someone – anyone to face him at Wrestlemania. <strong>Koko B. Ware</strong> answers the call and Reed laughs off the challenge. ©</p><p> </p><p> • Highlights of last week’s Superstars of Wrestling: <strong>Piper v Beefcake </strong>(C+)</p><p> </p><p> • <strong>Brutus Beefcake </strong>argues with <strong>Greg Valentine </strong>– unhappy that he didn’t help him out. Valentine insists he wasn’t even at Superstars. <strong>Johnny V </strong>pleads with his team to sort things out especially with their match against the <strong>Can-Am Connection </strong>at Wrestlemania coming up. (C+)</p><p> </p><p> • <strong>The Islanders b. Iron Mike Sharpe and Tiger Chung Lee</strong> (D)</p><p> </p><p> • Backstage: <strong>Magnificent Muraco & Bob Orton Jr</strong> declare <strong>The Islanders</strong>’ domination of Sharpe & Lee as irrelevant… (B)</p><p> </p><p> • <strong>Dino Bravo </strong>cuts a promo promising to take <strong>Ricky Steamboat </strong>down on this week’s Primetime and that when he's finished with him, he'll recapture the Intercontinental Title for the glory of Canada! (B-)</p><p> </p><p> • <strong>The Iron Sheik b. Corporal Kirchner </strong>(C-)</p><p> </p><p> • Post Match: <strong>Kirchner</strong> attacked by <strong>Sheik</strong> and <strong>Nikolai Volkoff</strong>. Brings out <strong>Jim Duggan </strong>who chases off the heels. (D+)</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> <strong><span style="font-size:10px;">Overall Rating: C-</span></strong></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31836" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><span style="text-decoration:underline;"><strong>Quick Picks for Next Week's Show</strong></span><p> </p><p> <span style="text-decoration:underline;">Superstars of Wrestling, March 1987 - Week 2</span></p><p> </p><p> Junkyard Dog & Billy Jack Haynes v Hercules & King Harley Race</p><p> Ricky Steamboat v Dino Bravo</p><p> Dynamite Kid v Bret Hart</p><p> Jake Roberts v Greg Valentine</p><p> Hillbilly Jim v Andre the Giant</p><p> </p><p> <span style="text-decoration:underline;">Wrestling Challenge, March 1987 - Week 2</span></p><p> </p><p> Barry O v Dino Bravo</p><p> Koko B. Ware v Iron Mike Sharpe</p><p> The Can-Am Connection v The Wild Samoans</p><p> </p><p> </p></div></blockquote>

<p></p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Superstars of Wrestling, March 1987 - Week 2</span></p><p> </p><p>

Junkyard Dog & Billy Jack Haynes v <strong>Hercules & King Harley Race</strong></p><p>

<em>A hard match to call but I can see Haynes taking the fall in this one.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Ricky Steamboat</strong> v Dino Bravo</p><p>

<em>The Dragon gains momentum heading toward his WrestleMania showdown with Randy Savage. Sorry Dino.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Dynamite Kid v <strong>Bret Hart</strong></p><p>

<em>Davey Boy Smith won last week so Bret wins this week. Though this should be one great match.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Jake Roberts</strong> v Greg Valentine</p><p>

<em>The Snake wins but takes a post-match beating from Honky Tonk Man until he unleashes Damian.</em></p><p> </p><p>

Hillbilly Jim v <strong>Andre the Giant</strong></p><p>

<em>Andre SMASH hillbilly man.</em> </p><p> </p><p>

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Wrestling Challenge, March 1987 - Week 2</span></p><p> </p><p>

Barry O v <strong>Dino Bravo</strong></p><p>

<em>Canada's Strongest Man squashes the forgotten Orton.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Koko B. Ware</strong> v Iron Mike Sharpe</p><p>

<em>Iron Mike Sharpe bellows but gets shut up by The Birdman.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>The Can-Am Connection</strong> v The Wild Samoans</p><p>

<em>A close match but the new-found vicious streak in The Can-Am Connection puts them over the top.</em></p></div><p></p><p></p>

Nice job so far dude!! Looking forward to seeing where you take this.

Superstars of Wrestling, March 1987 - Week 2

Junkyard Dog & Billy Jack Haynes v Hercules & King Harley Race

I see both heels winning come 'Mania, so I'll go with the faces here.

Ricky Steamboat v Dino Bravo

No brainer.

Dynamite Kid v Bret Hart

Bret has the brighter future.

Jake Roberts v Greg Valentine

Agree w/angel here. Honky's definitely getting involved. lol

Hillbilly Jim v Andre the Giant

Hillbilly pancake.

Wrestling Challenge, March 1987 - Week 2

Barry O v Dino Bravo

Dino recovers nicely here.

Koko B. Ware v Iron Mike Sharpe

One is a future WWE Hall Of Famer, the other is a future floor sweeper at chili's.

The Can-Am Connection v The Wild Samoans

Martel is the difference maker.

Superstars of Wrestling, March 1987 - Week 2

Junkyard Dog & Billy Jack Haynes v Hercules & King Harley Race

Probably via some cheating or something, to carry on the forever feud between Race and JYD.

Ricky Steamboat v Dino Bravo

Some quick momentum for Steamer, though I can see Bravo being a decent IC contender down the line if you want him to be.

Dynamite Kid v Bret Hart

It can really go either way, I'm going with Dynamite because then the Harts can easily come back and attack out of frustration to keep a feud running.

Jake Roberts v Greg Valentine

Perhaps Jake will get his due here?

Hillbilly Jim v Andre the Giant

Yeah, Giant smash.

Wrestling Challenge, March 1987 - Week 2

Barry O v Dino Bravo

I kinda mark for Dino, and I don't even know why.

Koko B. Ware v Iron Mike Sharpe

Squash on.

The Can-Am Connection v The Wild Samoans

Rick Martel can be a solid champion for you. Possibly could even carry Zenk to great tag matches.

Thanks for the tips and the vote of confidence guys!

Canada's Strongest Man squashes the forgotten Orton.

Without giving too much away... don't expect the forgotten Orton to be making much of an impact in the WWF! Barry's contract is up at the end of the month and I can exclusively reveal that it will not be renewed!

One is a future WWE Hall Of Famer, the other is a future floor sweeper at chili's...

Don't write Iron Mike off quite yet! I've always had a soft spot for Canada's loudest man!

I kinda mark for Dino, and I don't even know why...

I'm the exact same! I've only ever saw his work in the WWF and he was far from exhilirating in the ring or in his promos but there was something charasmatic about the guy that always made me interested in his career. We'll see if I'm able to finally do justice to his legacy!

Possibly could even carry Zenk to great tag matches.

My loathing of Tom Zenk knows no bounds! He's a poor man's Paul Roma... I'm sorely tempted to team the two of them up as a pair of egomaniac jobbers... time will tell!

SUPERSTARS OF WRESTLING

From the Fayetville Arena, AR (Mid South) (10,000)

The live crowd are treated to a match that had originally been penned in for a Wrestlemania showdown when The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff overcame The Killer Bees in a good match when the Sheik locked Jim Brunzell in a Boston Crab in 6:35. The lack of heat seems to have justified the WWF’s decision to bump the match from the supercard, however... ©

Butch Reed takes to the stage to inform the crowd that he's still on the lookout for a Wresltemania opponent. It seems that Butch isn't taking Koko B. Ware's Challenge seriously at all!

-The Show-

This week's show begins midway through the entrances for our opening tag bout. Harley Race & Hercules are already in the ring and The Junkyard Dog & Billy Jack Haynes are making their way down the aisle. two short interview videos play in the corner of the screen as all four men put over their respective feuds. (C+)

--

Junkyard Dog & Billy Jack Haynes b. Harley Race & Hercules

A good match that had a good reaction from the crowd came to a sudden end in 9:12 when Junkyard Dog rolled Hercules into a schoolboy after Haynes pushed Hercules over the squat JYD from the apron. (B-)

--

After the bout Bobby Heenan admonishes a sullen looking Hercules for such a basic mistake. Harley Race looks on with a murderous look in his eyes. (B-)

--

Backstage Miss Elizabeth is looking for Randy Savage's dressing room when she walks straight into George Steele! She begins to back off in horror when Steele reaches behind him and suddenly pulls out... a bouquet of flowers? Liz gives a relieved smile and thanks George who looks bashful. Neither of them notice Savage watching the exchange from a distance... (B-)

--

Roddy Piper welcomes his guest to this week's... Piper's Pit. It's Brutus Beefcake! With more than a hit of sarcasm, Piper reminds the audience of the events of last week's match between himself and Beefcake and apologises to Brutus for cutting his hair. Piper says that he stepped over the line and was caught up in the moment. Sure he made Beefcake just a little bit more handsome and saved him the buck fifty he normally spends on his annual haircut but it was still out of line. Piper implies that really it was Adrian Adonis' fault for bringing out the clippers in the first place. Piper offers Beefcake his hand. Brutus is unsure whether to accept and Johnny V whispers something in his ear. Beefcake moves to accept the handshake but out of nowhere Adonis rushes the stage and attacks Piper! The two roll around the set while Beefcake beats a hasty retreat. (B-)

--

Ricky Steamboat b. Dino Bravo

In a match that had some good action and average heat, Ricky Steamboat overcame Dino Bravo in 5:55 by pinfall with a flying crossbody. Despite the loss, Bravo came out of the match looking good having put up a strong challenge. (C+)

--

The Islanders give Lord Alfred Hayes a very unusual interview! Neither Haku nor Tama say a word to Lord Alfred who tries several different questions. Becoming exasperated Hayes asks the pair about Magnificent Muraco & Bob Orton's taunts on Wrestling Challenge. The pair begin to laugh and Haku holds up a picture of Muraco & Orton. Tama grabs the other side of the picture and the two tear it in half, laughing all the time. Both men scrunch their sides into a ball and hit them off Lord Alfred's head, continuing to cackle. (D-)

--

We cut immediately to Magnificent Muraco & Bob Orton who are with Mr Fuji and Mean Gene Okerlund. By contrast none of these men look as if they're about to start laughing! Okerlund looks terrified while the other three rant about what they're going to do to the Islanders! (B)

--

Bret Hart b. Dynamite Kid

A first class match between the two tecnical members of their teams was edged by Bret Hart after Dynamite Kid's temper got the better of him. Kid was disqualified in 15:03 for dragging Jimmy Hart into the ring when he had Bret beaten. (B-)

--

A bevvy of road agents hit the ring immediately before things can escalate as they did last week. President Jack Tunney, who is amongst the throng can be heard telling Dynamite and Davey Boy that if they lift their hands once more against the Hart Foundation before Wrestlemania then not only will they lose their title shot, but they'll find themselves suspended! (C+)

--

Jimmy Hart is helped to the back, somewhat overselling his Dynamite Kid assault! (D)

--

Backstage, Randy Savage has taken advantage of the fact that all of the road agents are at ringside and has attacked George Steele. Miss Elizabeth tries to drag Randy away but only the appearance of Ricky Steamboat is enough to force Savage to retreat. (B-)

--

Gorilla Monsoon is going backstage to help restore some order and is being replaced by a special commentator for this next match... The Honky Tonk Man! Honky comes out to ringside and joins Vince and Jesse. ©

--

Jake Roberts b. Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine

The Snake and The Hammer took match of the night honours in an excellent brawl that had the crowd out of thier hands. Valentine held his own and nearly stole the victory when Jake found himself distracted by Honky Tonk Man's presence at ringside. In his defence, however, The Honky Tonk Man never once threatened to leave the announce desk and Roberts was able to compose himself to his the finishing DDT in 12:01. (B)

--

After the match, to the surprise of everyone Honky Tonk Man stood and gave Jake Roberts a round of applause. Roberts kept a beady stare on Honky Tonk even as he unleashed Damien from his bag and the python celebrated his master's victory by crawling over the prone Hammer. (C+)

--

Gorilla Monsoon returns to the ringside and tells the crowd that he has a special treat! Hulk Hogan is on the telephone. The WWF Champion cuts a promo hyping the upcoming showdown with Andre the Giant and tells Hillbilly Jim he's sorry he can't be there for tonight's match but he's doing some work for the Make a Wish Foundation. The company briefly plug the Foundation's good work. (A)

--

Before our main event can begin, Bobby Heenan cuts a stinging promo on Hillbilly Jim who is standing opposite him in the ring. Heenan reaches into his pocket and shows the Hillbilly a contract. Heenan claims that this is a legally binding agreement between himself and the people of Mudlick that if King Kong Bundy loses his match at Wrestlemania, Heenan will pay the townsfolk $1m. If Bundy wins, however, the ownership of the town will transfer to him... and he knows a developer who's desperate to bulldoze the town and turn it into luxury condominiums! (B+)

--

Andre the Giant b. Hillbilly Jim

Poor Jim never stood a chance. The Giant took him apart with a devestating arsenal of big blows. The crowd were still on a high but no-one was surprised when Andre grabbed a quick win in 4:11 without Jim getting a single shot in against his foe. ©

--

Hillbilly Jim is still down and Andre is celebrating. Bobby Heenan tells Andre to keep attacking Hillbilly Jim! King Kong Bundy and Paul Orndorff come down to rinside and Bundy joins in the attack while Orndorff keeps the officials at bay! Andre steps back and allows Bundy to finish Hillbilly Jim off. The show goes off air as Bundy hits his third sit down splash on the mountain man. (B-)

WRESTLING CHALLENGE

Horner Hall, Arkansas (Mid South) (1,850)

Magnificent Muraco & Bob Orton Jr. challenged The Islanders to a match ©

Dino Bravo pinned Barry O (D+)

• Highlights of last week’s Superstars of Wrestling: Jake Roberts v Greg Valentine and the post match reaction from Honky Tonk Man (C+)

Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine are unhappy with each other again. Valentine says that Beefcake should have helped him out especially when he brought the snake out. Beefcake tells the Hammer that they're even now. Johnny V tells the team to focus on the Can-Am Connection and to go to ringside for thier match tonight (C-)

Koko B. Ware b. Iron Mike Sharpe (C-)

• During the last match Koko B. Ware's pre-recorded interview tells the world that Butch Reed is a coward (B-)

Corporal Kirchner & Jim Duggan challenge Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik to a match this week on Superstars of Wrestling! (D)

The Dream Team make their way to ringside to watch the next match up close and personal ©

• Can-Am Connection b. The Wild Samoans (C-) while The Dream Team watch on.

Overall Rating: C-

Quick Picks for Next Week's Show

Superstars of Wrestling, March 1987 - Week 3

Corporal Kirchner & Jim Duggan v Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik

Non Title Match: Randy Savage v Lanny Poffo

The Young Stallions v The Dream Team

Adrian Adonis v Koko B. Ware

Junkyard Dog v Hercules

Wrestling Challenge, March 1987 - Week 3

Tom Magee v Butch Reed

Tito Santana v Iron Mike Sharpe

Non-Title: The Hart Foundation v The Killer Bees

Corporal Kirchner & Jim Duggan v Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik

I can in all honesty say that I wouldn't care either way... these two would maybe make better future challengers for the Harts than the other way around though.

Non Title Match: Randy Savage v Lanny Poffo

But... but... brothers gotta hug!

Hell, Young Stallions even always sounded like the name for a jobber team. Now if they were WILD Stallions, they'd have a chance.

Adonis is in a far more high profile feud. Koko's little thing with Reed doesn't even manage to get on the main show more times than not.

Junkyard Dog v Hercules

This one kinda makes me sad, but by the looks of it we may be moving into Hercules face turn, and that would be just fine. He's another guy like I said about Dino Bravo last time who I always had a soft spot for.

Tom Magee v Butch Reed

This is cooked squash.

A nice quick win for Chico.

Should be an entertaining one anyways, they always had solid matches.

Corporal Kirchner & Jim Duggan v Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron SheikNon Title Match: Randy Savage v Lanny Poffo

Junkyard Dog v Hercules

Tom Magee v Butch Reed

SUPERSTARS OF WRESTLING

From the Colorado Coors Event Center (Mid West) (11,064)

Before the show begins Dino Bravo gets the crowd up by talking about how great he is. (B-)

In our preliminary match, Kamala b. Omar Atlas by pinfall in a match devoid of any heat or interest. (D+)

The Can-Am Connection took a leaf from Dino Bravo’s book and hyped themeslves. Unfortunately neither man is as good with the crowd as Dino is… (C-)

--

Our show opens with a recap of last week’s main event and what happened after the match. The video pauses as King Kong Bundy lands each of his sit down splashes, selling the severity of the attack on Hillbilly Jim. Bobby Heenan, Paul Orndorff and Andre the Giant are all shown laughing at Bundy’s brutalisation of Mudlick’s favourite son (B-)

--

Bobby Heenan cuts an interview backstage, flanked by Paul Orndorff and King Kong Bundy. Heenan explains that he’s a fair man and realises that due to the injuries inflicted by Bundy last week that Hillbilly Jim may not be able to show up at Wrestlemania III. As an alternative, Heenan is willing to have a substitute take on Bundy at Wresltemania… Heenan suggests that maybe Hillbilly Jim’s best buddy Hulk Hogan will step up to the plate and take on Bundy before meeting Andre the Giant in their WWF Championship match… (B)

--

The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff b. Jim Duggan & Corporal Kirchner (8:03)

In our opening match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff defeated Jim Duggan & Coproal Kirchner after Slick tripped Kirchner, allowing Volkoff to take advantage and hit a running lariat. (C+)

--

Following last week’s rant, Magnificent Don Muraco & Cowboy Bob Orton seem a good bit calmer and formally challenge The Islanders to a Wrestlemania match (B)

--

The Honky Tonk Man is this week’s guest on Piper's Pit. Honky takes the time to explain that he’s tired of people saying that he can only win with the help of Jimmy Hart. The Honky Tonk Man and the Colonel go back a long way but he is willng to prove to the world that he has what it takes to beat Jake Roberts fair and square without the help of any other man and he’ll prove it at Wrestlemania assuming Jake isn’t hiding behind his new buddy Alice Cooper! Piper claims that Honky Tonk Man wouldn’t know the meaning of fair and square if he grew up in a Swedish monastery… but before things can get heated, Adrian Adonis rushes the stage again. This time Piper is ready for him though and he sides steps the charge, leaving Adonis to go crashing into the fake wall of the Pit. Piper shakes his head and throws the microphone down on to the prone Adonis before walking away (B-)

--

A graphic on screen tells us that Ricky Steamboat will be on next week’s Piper’s Pit with a message for Randy Savage who’s up next (B+)

--

Randy Savage b. Lanny Poffo (9:24)

In an extended match during which Savage helped profile his opponent, Randy Savage defeated Lanny Poffo by pinfall with a Flying Elbow Drop. (C+)

--

From one title bout to another, the Hart Foundation hype their upcoming bout with the British Bulldogs at Wrestlemania and want them to meet face to face next week in the ring to sign the contracts! ©

--

The Dream Team b. The Young Stallions (6:23)

In an otherwise unremarkable match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, The Dream Team defeated Young Stallions in 6:23 when Brutus Beefcake defeated Paul Roma by pinfall after refusing to tag Greg Valentine into the ring. (C-)

--

Afterwards Beefcake & Valentine argue again with Beefcake shoving Valentine away from him, and leaving the ring alone ©

--

Before the next match can begin, an angry Butch Reed appears in a pre-recorded interview denying that he’s a coward and agreeing to give Koko B. Ware his shot at Wrestlemania… if he makes it that far… (C+)

--

Koko B. Ware b. Adrian Adonis (14:16)

A shock result by anyone’s standards, Koko B. Ware got the win with a flying dropkick following Roddy Piper’s distraction of Adonis at ringside. Hot Rod had appeared just as Adonis was putting Koko into an abdominal stretch, Adonis dropped the hold to demand that the referee remove Piper from ringside when Koko nailed Adonis with a leap from the opposite turnbuckle. In truth it was the only highlight of a match in which both men worked hard but just didn’t click with each other. (C-)

--

Calling the arena live from Hillbilly Jim’s hospital room, Hulk Hogan in a restrained and clearly emotional voice tells Bobby Heenan that he’s overstepped the mark. If Hillbilly Jim is unable to perform at Wrestlemania III then he’ll guarantee the people of Mudlick that they’re homes will be safe and that someone will get their revenge. Mean Gene Okerlund presses Hogan on whether he will take on Bundy & Andre in the same night but he avoids the question… (B+)

--

Junkyard Dog b. Hercules (12:05)

After the excitement of the last few weeks’ the WWF faithful were a little disappointed with this evening’s main event which despite some good in-ring action never really got going. Hercules was eventually disqualified for attacking JYD with his own chain. ©

--

After the bout Hercules wrapped JYD in his chains while Harley Race made his way to the ring. Using his superior strength, Hercules forced Junkyard Dog on to his knees and pushed his head towards The King’s foot. Before he could kiss the foot, however, Billy Jack Haynes ran in for the save – clearing house of the heels and freeing JYD from his shackles. Both men stand proud as the show ends (C+)

Overall: C

A fairly poor card in terms of wrestling brought down some good promo work. A lack of star power in the main event didn’t help matters either. WWF officials are said to be working on this for next week’s go home show.

WRESTLING CHALLENGE

Cadet Ice Arena, Colorado Springs (Mid West) (2,500)

• In an extremely short match, Butch Reed defeated Tom Magee in 3:55 by pinfall. (D+)

• Koko B. Ware is interviewed backstage by Lord Alfred Hayes, he hypes an upcoming singles match against Butch Reed at Wrestlemania ©

• Jim Duggan & Corporal Kirchner come to the ring, proclaiming themselves to be Team USA and challenge Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff to a Wrestlemania re-match with Slick barred from ringside! (C-)

• Dino Bravo offers some friendly advice to Iron Mike Sharpe backstage. (C+)

• In an extremely short match, Tito Santana defeated Iron Mike Sharpe in 4:47 by submission with a Figure-Four Leglock. ©

• A hype video for the upcoming Can-Am Connection / Dream Team bout is played. ©

• Johnny V refuses to be drawn on the problems facing The Dream Team just now. Claims that the Wrestlemania image we’ll all remember is his team standing over the broken bodies of the Can-Am Connection. (C+)

• In our main event match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, The Hart Foundation defeated The Killer Bees in 12:58 when Bret Hart defeated Brian Blair by pinfall with a Hart Attack clothesline. (B-)

Overall Rating: C+

Quick Picks for Next Week's Show

Superstars of Wrestling, March 1987 - Week 4

Billy Jack Haynes v Harley Race

King Kong Bundy v S.D. Jones

Danny Spivey & Brad Rheingans v Magnificent Muraco & Bob Orton Jr.

Jake Roberts, Roddy Piper & Koko B. Ware v Honky Tonk Man, Adrian Adonis & Butch Reed

WWF Title Match: Hulk Hogan © v Paul Orndorff

Junkyard Dog v Tiger Chung Lee

Outback Jack v Iron Mike Sharpe

The Rogeau Brothers v The Wild Samoans

Superstars of Wrestling, March 1987 - Week 4

Jake Roberts, Roddy Piper & Koko B. Ware v Honky Tonk Man, Adrian Adonis & Butch Reed

Billy may have potential, but Race is still the king around around the ring

squash - for a 5 count

soon to be greatest I/C champion of all time on this team. more star power sets up the win, and sure to be singles rematches for some of the faces to get revenge.

take jack outback and shoot him (if that's not something Heenan or Ventura actually said, then they should have)

Samoans are winding down - they should have enough star power left to put over the rising tag team stars.

nice start to things. Road is Wrestlemania is shaping up, will be curious to see how far off the paved road you go (I'll have the WM3 results from my AWA world posted soon - it's my next day's advance).

nice start to things. Road is Wrestlemania is shaping up, will be curious to see how far off the paved road you go (I'll have the WM3 results from my AWA world posted soon - it's my next day's advance).

Thanks for the tips - I've booked Mania now and it's just a case of posting up this weeks' shows before I do a preview of the card. I've kept the booking of the card fairly similar with a few changes here and there on the undercard (the notable exception being the mega hype push job on Bundy & Hillbilly Jim) but I've tried to keep it as 'realistic to the time as possible by having a packed card that doesn't allow the matches to develop as much as they should have... translated: I forgot to up the PPV to three hours...)

I saw the AI's attempts at Mania III... I'm now sorely tempted to book a Jim Brunzell/Kamala draw... in Hawaii... magical stuff!

I'll post the next show very shortly...

This is actually a cool idea.

Thanks man! (I assume you mean the Hogan/Hillbilly Jim dilemma? Don't be expecting any Attitude era excitement from it - I don't want to give the game away but anyone expecting a Hillbilly Jim horseshoe to the back of Hogan's head to give Andre the title will be sorely disappointed!!!)

SUPERSTARS OF WRESTLING

From the United Center Chicago (Great Lakes) (20,500)

-The Show-

This week’s show opened with Bobby Heenan and King Kong Bundy coming to the ring to address the ongoing Hillbilly Jim situation. Heenan explained to the audience that if Hulk Hogan was any friend to Hillbilly Jim at all, he would fight for Jim’s honour at Wrestlemania before defending his title later in the evening. Heenan tells the audience that he has put every penny of his wealth into this investment and that ‘in the unlikely event’ that Bundy did lose his match, the money that Heenan would make back from representing the WWF Champion would make up for it... (B)

--

Harley Race b. Billy Jack Haynes (10:32)

Bundy heads to the back and is replaced by another King, Harley Race as he joins Heenan in the ring to face Billy Jack Haynes. In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Race pinned Haynes with a Piledriver. (C+)

--

After the match Harley Race slaps the floored Billy Jack Haynes in the face, before the humiliation can go further though, Junkyard Dog rushes into the ring and sends Race and manager Bobby Heenan scurrying for the exit! (B-)

--

The Can-Am Connection cut a pre-recorded promo. Both men take turns to tell the Dream Team that they’re set to have a nightmare at Wrestlemania. The concession stands did a roaring trade during this particular piece of hype... (D+)

--

A clearly dazed Billy Jack Haynes is still making his way out of the ringside area, having refused help from the officials. Sensing weakness, Hercules has made his way out into the ring area and attacked his rival! Only JYD’s presence stops this from being a one sided demolition ©

--

King Kong Bundy b. S.D. Jones (4:17)

A busy night for Bobby Heenan sees him accompany King Kong Bundy in a rematch of their Wrestlemania record setting bout. The same result applies even if it does take the giant a little longer when Bundy crushes Jones with an Avalanche for the win. (C-)

--

A table is set up in the middle of the ring for a contract signing between The Hart Foundation and the British Bulldogs which surprisingly passes without much incident. Jimmy Hart takes the opportunity to bellow in Dynamite Kid’s face with his megaphone but the Brits don’t respond, instead boring holes into their opponents and gesticulating that the belts will soon be around their waists. (D)

--

Bob Orton & Magnificent Muraco b. Danny Spivey & Brad Rheingans (5:39)

More tag team action saw Mr Fuji’s veterans score a win over the odd couple of Spivey and Rheingans when Orton pinned Rheingans with a Superplex. (C-)

--

After the match, Jesse Ventura does his best to put over the dead horse that is The Islanders v Magnificent Muraco & Bob Orton Jr. feud (C-)

--

Gorilla Monsoon follows this up by telling us all about the never ending feud between Jim Duggan and his new ally Corporal Kirchner against Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik (C-)

--

While the announcers are shilling dull tag matches, the ring crew have been setting up the Piper’s Pit set. After a few weeks of chaotic happenings in Roddy Piper's talkshow, this week we were treated to a straight forward interview from number one contender to the Intercontinental title, Ricky Steamboat, telling us what he was going to do to Randy Savage at Wrestlemania. The segment ended with Piper telling Steamboat that if he wanted some tips of what to do, he should keep watching what’s about to happen...(B)

--

Honky Tonk Man, Adrian Adonis & Butch Reed b. Jake Roberts, Roddy Piper & Koko B. Ware (14:29)

A red hot crowd were enthralled by a top quality three man tag match that saw the heel team come up trumps after Adonis & Piper left the action early by brawling their way back up the entrance way. While Reed and Roberts were tussling outside, Honky Tonk Man took advantage and nailed Koko with a Shake, Rattle & Roll. Honky Tonk Man was not accompanied to the ring by Jimmy Hart and seems to be keeping true to his word... (B)

--

Vince McMahon is in the back with Randy Savage. Savage cuts the single best interview in the run up to this year’s Wrestlemania. With his unique mix of passion and intensity, Savage leaves the audience in no doubt of his undiluted hatred of Ricky Steamboat. (A)

--

WWF TITLE MATCH:Hulk Hogan b. Paul Orndorff (14:45)

In a bout that featured great action and great heat from the audience, Hulk Hogan defeated Paul Orndorff by disqualification when Andre The Giant lumbered to ringside and attacked Hogan just as he was preparing to drop the leg on Orndorff. (B)

--

Paul Orndorff looks frustrated that his latest attempt at winning the WWF title being taken away from him and is arguing with Bobby Heenan in the background. All eyes, however are locked on Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan who are stood in the centre of the ring staring into each other’s eyes. Hogan begins muttering and shaking his head while Andre maintains his steely glare. The cameras cut off leaving the audience at home begging for more (B+)

Overall: C+

WRESTLING CHALLENGE

Bowen Field House, Michigan (Great Lakes) (5,400)

• In a match that had some good action but not much in the way of heat, Junkyard Dog defeated Tiger Chung Lee in 8:13 by pinfall. ©

• A video highlighting the main points leading to Harley Race and Junkyard Dog's Wrestlemania match is shown (B)

• Jim Duggan & Corporal Kirchner are ejected from the arena along with Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik after the four men continue brawling around the back of the areana. (C-)

• Iron Mike Sharpe (accompanied by Dino Bravo) b. Outback Jack in 4:31 by Pinfall after Jack was distracted by a trip from Bravo(D-)

• Post Match: Iron Mike Sharpe falls to his knees and pounds the canvas before pointing to the rafters as if thanking God for his victory. Dino Bravo looks embarrased as he grabs the sobbing Sharpe to his feet and leads him away from the ring.

• Hercules is interviewed on his own. The self proclaimed strongest man in the WWF is after Billy Jack Haynes (C+)

• In a bout that had solid in-ring action but non-existent crowd heat, The Rougeau Brothers defeated The Wild Samoans in 13:59 when Raymond Rougeau defeated Afa by pinfall with a La Bombe de Rougeau. (C-)

• After the match Dino Bravo comes out on to the ramp and applauds The Rougeau Brothers who look confused in the ring (D+)

• A music video hyping the upcoming Wrestlemania match between Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat plays (B+)

Overall Rating: C-

Next up: A special extended Quick Picks preview for Wrestlemania III

Wrestlemania III Preview

The biggest PPV of all time is just around the corner and we're going to have a rundown of what's in store for the WWF audience on what is set to be a day that no wrestling fan will ever forget!

Junkyard Dog v Harley Race - Kiss my Foot Match

Two veterans in the WWF clash in a match that both men have agreed will finally settle the score. The proud JYD has agreed to kiss the foot of King Harley Race should he lose the match and Race has agreed to do the same and hand over his crown as King of Wrestling

The Islanders v Magnificent Muraco & Bob Orton Jr.

Former IC champion Muraco & his partner Cowboy Bob Orton Jr. are old hands here in the WWF and their manager Mr Fuji will doubtless be a big factor here. Will the young but impressive Islanders score their biggest win to date?

Koko B. Ware v Butch Reed

The Natural threw out an open challenge for Wrestlemania a few weeks ago and was taken aback that Koko B. Ware thought he had what it takes. Although not taken seriously at first, with a big win over Adrian Adonis under his belt, Koko knows that Reed will no longer be underestimating the Birdman

Billy Jack Haynes v Hercules

Even the biggest Billy Jack fans would have to admit that Hercules (with the help of that weasal Bobby Heenan) has been one step ahead of Haynes throughout this feud. The battle of the Full Nelsons will be settled in Detroit.

WWF Tag Team Title Match: The British Bulldogs v The Hart Foundation ©

Two teams that are as evenly matched as any two pairings ever before in the World Wrestling Federation. The match is set to happen despite the best efforts of the Harts to get the Bulldogs kicked out of their shot. Will the Bulldogs get their revenge (and their titles back)?

Mystery Opponent (with Hillbilly Jim) vs King Kong Bundy (with Bobby Heenan) - $1m a man bet

Speculation is rife that WWF Champion Hulk Hogan will face King Kong Bundy before going on to battle the Immovable Object that is Andre the Giant in the main event. If this re-match of last year's Wrestlemania event does go ahead, Bobby Heenan will be delighted. Either way, Heenan is convinced that no-one in the WWF will be able to overcome his second biggest client and that the $1m a man bet will be safe!

Team USA v Nikolai Volkoff & The Iron Sheik

Slick has been barred from ringside for this bout between America's sworn protectors and the combined threat from the East

The Can-Am Connection v The Dream Team

Rick Martel and Tom Zenk will be looking to capitalise on the recent troubles between Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake of late. The Dream Team's manager Johnny V has insisted that his team will be standing tall over the Can-Am Connection at the end of this match

Roddy Piper v Adrian Adonis - Hair vs Pride

Hot Rod's final bow in the WWF is in this Hair vs Pride match that has saw Adrian Adonis put his 'lucious locks' on the line to try and send Piper out of the WWF in disgrace, on his way to Hollywood.

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Ricky Steamboat v Randy Savage ©

One of the most hotly anticipated matches on the card will see Ricky Steamboat avenge the vicious and almost career ending attack from Randy Savage and take his prized IC title from him at the same time. Savage won't give up on this prize without a fight. This should be a classic.

Jake 'The Snake' Roberts v The Honky Tonk Man

Honky's association with the Colonel Jimmy Hart has recently come to an end, Honky insisting that he doesn't need the help of any man to beat Jake Roberts at Wrestlemania. Roberts' side now outnumbers Honky Tonk thanks to special guest manager Alice Cooper and not forgetting the ever faithful Damien...

WWF TITLE Match: Hulk Hogan v Andre the Giant

And if that isn't enough for our wrestling fans, the main event will see The Irrestistible Force of Hulkamania clash with the Immovable Object that is Andre the Giant. Will Andre finally win the WWF title that has so far alluded him in his career? Can Hogan lift the Giant? Will he already be spent from fighting for Hillbilly Jim and the people of Mudlick earlier in the evening? All of these questions and more will be answered live on pay per view. See your local dealer for more details.

OOC: That's my Wrestlemania card folks... I'll post the results in the next few days, as ever please feel free to put your picks in, I truly love reading all of your comments and value each and every one of them. Also feel free to have a stab at the Mystery Opponent. It might be Hogan, or it might not... I'm not giving anything away but I'd be intrigued to see who you think it might be. The only clue I will give is that it's not a bait and switch, Hillbilly Jim does not wrestle himself and that the worker does not appear anywhere else on the card other than (possibly) the main event!

Looks like a great show, Ritchardo! Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Though this match is simply made for the good guy to win, I can't pick against the King Harley Race.

Muraco and Orton have too much talent to be overcome.

The Birdman shocks the Natural!

Though I might be wrong here, I think Hercules has more of a future and could do a lot more with a WrestleMania win.

A classic matchup that sees the Bulldogs take the titles and eventually leads to a Bret Hart singles run.

Mystery Opponent (with Hillbilly Jim) vs King Kong Bundy (with Bobby Heenan) - $1m a man bet

The mystery opponent could be anyone. Maybe you bring in the Ultimate Warrior?

USA, USA, USA. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The Can-Am Connection wins when Brutus turns on the Hammer.

The Hot Rod and Brutus Beefcake do a little strutting and cutting.

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH: Ricky Steamboat v Randy Savage ©

This match may, indeed, be the show stealer. The Dragon walks away with the IC belt, as Savage gets pushed toward the World title.

The Snake beats the future greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time.

It's WrestleMania! The Immortal Hulk Hogan body slams Andre the Giant and sends the fans home happy!

Dog loses... Kisses Race's foot, then drops him with a headbut

The veterans make the youngsters look good here... But this fan will be rooting for Muraco and Orton... maybe we see some dissension and a face turn for Muraco or Orton

Reed set up for a future title shot...gets a nice run at intercontinental title..becaseu Im picking Steamboat to win that

Billy Jack may have bigger star potential, than Hercules (in my book at least)

I say no on Bulldogs retaining... Harts keep their titles

Dont think you're going to overuse Hogan here...Warrior could make sense... But im going with Orndorff as a shock to heenan

No Slick, no chance for the evil foreigners

since there's trouble in Dreamland.. Can Am's and Islanders with their wins get in line for retaining Harts

Piper goes out in style... Does Brutus run in to cut Adonis's hair?

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:

Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage ©

Steamboat ends the chase... (which is a great role for the dragon) Match like in real life steals the show

Got to give a win to a heel somewhere on the card

Just cant see Andre as champ... Cant send the fans home unhappy either

• 2 weeks later...

WRESTLEMANIA III

From the Pontiac Silverdome, Detroit (Great Lakes) (91,167)

- Pre-Show -

The near capacity audience (Dave Meltzer be damned!) is welcomed to the Silverdome by WWF Announcer Vince McMahon in a fetching yellow blazer. Seems an odd choice for the majority of the crowd who would’ve expected President Jack Tunney to make the announcement (C+)

--

As well as introductory messages from Announcers, the live crowd are also treated to a match between two men who clearly had a point to prove. Despite having nothing much in the way of heat, the first rate action produced by Paul Orndorff & Tito Santana is sure to have been noticed by the bigwigs backstage.

Paul Orndorff def. Tito Santana by Pinfall with a Piledriver in 11:36. (B)

-The Show-

Junkyard Dog v Harley Race (w/Bobby Heenan)

A seemingly never ending feud between two of the most respected veterans in the WWF finally came to a close in this hard hitting encounter. Race cemented his place as a worker who can take anybody to a good match in this short but hard hitting encounter. The ending came when JYD was caught with an illegal low blow by The King which doubled the Dog over and allowed Race to fold him into a crunching piledriver for the win. The use of two piledrivers in two consecutive matches felt a little odd but the crowd were in to what proved to be a solid opener for the most part.

Harley Race def. Junkyard Dog in 6:40 by Pinfall (C+)

--

After the bout, Harley Race wears a smug look of satisfaction and proffers his foot to the Junkyard Dog who has battled up on to one knee. JYD looks a beaten man and looks about ready to kiss Race’s foot. Race though pauses, playing to the crowd. He holds up a finger and waggles it as if to suggest this won’t be good enough. Race speaks to JYD who looks furious… JYD begins to untie the boot. Race holds his leg up and allows the Dog to remove his boot. Race wants him to kiss his actual foot, not just the wrestling boot. Race bends down to get a closer look as JYD goes to kiss it when… BAM! JYD clocks the King with his own wrestling boot! The crowd erupt as a quick as an eel Bobby Heenan pulls Race to the safety of the arena floor! Race’s crown sits askew on his head as he shouts up at JYD who simply laughs and throws the boot at the retreating pair! (B)

--

A short video plays hyping the Intercontinental Title match between Randy Savage and Ricky Steamboat. The video goes to great pains to highlight the incredible journey that Steamboat has undergone to be here tonight. (B+)

--

The Islanders v Bob Orton Jr. & Magnificent Muraco (w/Mr. Fuji)

By the time the video finishes The Islanders have almost reached the ring, where Orton & Muraco lie in waiting. The two teams gelled together pretty well in this clash with their physical brawling complimenting one another. Haku looked to have things sewn up with a vicious headbutt on Orton that sent his cowboy hat hurtling up into the air, but Mr Fuji threw salt in the eyes of the Samoan while Muraco distracted the referee. The confusion was enough for Orton to pull Haku into a roll-up for a cheap victory. The Islanders were left holding their heads, utterly bewildered as to how they could have lost this one!

Bob Orton Jr. & Magnificent Muraco def.The Islanders in 6:07 by Pinfall (C+)

--

Koko B. Ware v Butch Reed (w/Slick)

Another fairly short match that had little in the way of heat went the way of Koko B. Ware as he upset the odds to give Butch Reed an almost improbable Bird Buster to defeat his much bigger opponent, with a snap pinfall – Reed had spent the majority of the match trying to catch the sprightly Birdman who used his speed and cunning to avoid The Natural. The highlight of the match and a moment set to be played on clip videos for years to come was when Koko sprinted up on to the corner post and did a backwards flip over the onrushing Reed and then landing a perfect dropkick! Surprisingly Reed’s manager, Slick, did not get himself involved in the match at all, instead spending most of his time arguing with a massive security guard, positioned at the side of the entrance way.

Koko B. Ware def. Butch Reed in 7:08 by Pinfall (C+)

--

After the bout, Koko B. Ware is celebrating and Butch Reed cheap shots him from behind, sending him spilling to the floor, a very large security guard steps in front of Reed, blocking him from attacking Koko further. The burly guard reaches down and helps Koko to his feet… before clamping him in a huge bearhug! The guard squeezes the life out of Koko before holding his arms back and allowing Reed to nail him with a sucker punch! Both men , with Slick in tow, leave The Birdman down and out as they head to the back. (C+)

--

Jesse Ventura, Gorilla Monsoon & Vince McMahon hype up the upcoming match between Team USA and the duo of The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff. Ventura warns the Americans that just because Slick won’t be at ringside, as we’ve just witnessed, he might still have a trick or two up his sleeve. ©

--

Billy Jack Haynes v Hercules (w/Bobby Heenan)

Just like Slick before him, Hercules’ manager Bobby Heenan seems more interested in arguing with people at ringside rather than watching the match. Heenan can be overheard telling the crowd that their hero is going to have a rough night… He’s not the only one as Billy Jack Haynes is man-handled for the duration in this match, much to the crowds surprise. It’s almost a mercy killing when Hercules slaps on the full nelson and Haynes is forced to quit after an impressively dominating performance from the resident Heenan Family Strongman.

Hercules def. Billy Jack Haynes in 4:17 by Submission (C-)

--

A video plays highlighting the events that have lead to The Hart Foundation and The British Bulldogs clash ©

--

WWF Tag Team Title Match: The British Bulldogs v The Hart Foundation © (w/Jimmy Hart)

The first of our title matches tonight sees former champions The British Bulldogs trying to win back the titles that they insist they were screwed out of. Despite the best efforts of the WWF management to build the match, the crowd just weren’t in to it as much as would be hoped despite the good action on display. A backwards and forwards encounter was extremely even with either Neidhart & Smith or Hart & Dynamite in the ring at the same time – the result was a match that switched from power based grappling to technical mastery with each tag. The fluent action came to a head when Neidhart was distracted by Jimmy Hart’s instructions at ringside, allowing Smith to hit The Anvil with a powerslam while Dynamite Kid landed a picture perfect diving headbutt from the top rope. Bret Hart was nailed by Smith from the apron while the referee signalled the 1-2-3.

The British Bulldogs def. The Hart Foundation in 10:25 to win the WWF World Tag Team titles (B-)

--

Backstage, Hillbilly Jim apologises to Mean Gene Okerlund but he doesn’t have time to be interviewed, he’s got to get his second ready for the match against King Kong Bundy. Jim walks off and is clearly seen walking into Hulk Hogan’s dressing room! (B)

--

Bobby Heenan & King Kong Bundy have returned to ringside and cut another promo on Hillbilly Jim and the ongoing Hulk Hogan situation. Heenan tells the world that now is the time for Hulk Hogan to step up to the plate and prove his friendship to Hillbilly Jim.

Heenan assures the pair that there is nobody else in the world who stands even half a chance against the machine Bundy… Either step up and face Bundy now or the people of Mudlick will be homeless inside the hour! Hillbilly Jim makes his way to the ring alone… a long ride in the little carts provided at the Silverdome. All eyes are on Jim, while Heenan continues to try and bait Hogan to come out. Clambering into the ring with a microphone in his hand, Hillbilly Jim is clearly still feeling the effects of his attack two weeks previously.

He tells Heenan and Bundy that having spoken to Hulk Hogan, Hillbilly Jim has insisted that he does NOT wrestle King Kong Bundy tonight. Heenan shrugs his shoulders and can be clearly seen mouthing ‘Your Choice, say bye bye…’

Instead, Hillbilly Jim was put on to a friend of Hogan’s… An old friend… one who’s stood in his corner before… one who has proven time and time again that he has what it takes… One… who’s standing right there…. Jim points to a hooded figure at the front of the crowd wearing street clothes who virtually no-one had noticed making his way to the front of ringside.

The figure climbs the railings, and with hardly any effort, climbs up to the top turnbuckle. Looking down at the two men in the ring, he slowly extends his arms, folding his middle two fingers down into his palm and holding them with his thumb, the crowd still cannot see how it is but Heenan has recognised him! Having a near fit he starts shaking his head and screaming ‘Not him, not him!’.

Heenan hits the ringside and is arguing with the timekeeper not to ring the bell! Hillbilly Jim continues… “Ladies and Gentlemen, the saviour of Mudlick, Kentucky… SUPERFLY JIMMY SNUKA!”

Snuka pulls the hood from his head as the Silverdome erupts! Bundy looks confused and Snuka capitalises, leaping at him and knocking him sprawling to the canvas! (B+)

--

Superfly Jimmy Snuka (w/Hillbilly Jim) v King Kong Bundy (w/Bobby Heenan)

What followed was a tremendous bout with a crowd who were totally behind the surprise return of the Superfly to the WWF. After the initial confusion, Bundy was quick to gather his senses, rolling to the outside to prevent Snuka taking too much advantage. Heenan had continued to protest resulting in he and Hillbilly Jim getting into an altercation – one which ended with The Brain being knocked in the air by the mountain man. Meanwhile in the ring, Bundy had started to gain the upper hand by grounding the aerial master (impeded by the street clothes he was wearing) and had slapped on a number of energy sapping moves designed to take the legs away from the Superfly. The end of the match was a seemless set of moves: Bundy had released Snuka from a huge bearhug and thrown him into the corner. Stepping back, Bundy moved in with a huge avalanche but Snuka had been playing possum, moving out of the corner in time for Bundy to smash into the turnbuckle and fall back into the middle of the ring. Quick as a flash, Snuka scaled the turnbuckle one more time and nailed Bundy with a Superfly Splash for the three count

Superfly Jimmy Snuka def. King Kong Bundy by pinfall in 9:12 (B-)

--

Hillbilly Jim & Superfly Jimmy Snuka celebrate for the crowd as Bobby Heenan and King Kong Bundy head back down the aisle, the giant clearly hurting (B-)

--

Team USA v The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff

A match clearly designed to let the crowd cool off after the drama of a bout that had been pushed as hard as the main event itself, still featured some good action if virtually nothing in the way of selling. Volkoff & The Iron Sheik appeared to have difficulty communicating with each other without the go-between of Slick, who was barred from ringside. The new combination of Jim Duggan & Corporal Kirchner got the win after a dazed Iron Shiek walked into a Running Clothesline Tackle from Hacksaw.

Team USA def. The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff by pinfall in 6:08. (C-)

--

To ensure that the crowd didn’t die off completely and to remind them of why they were here, a video plays hyping Hulk Hogan and Andre The Giant’s feud (B+)

--

Can-Am Connection v The Dream Team (w/Johnny V)

Another disappointing result for WWF officials would’ve been the crowd’s reaction to this match. Although not built up as having any real kind of beef between the teams, the Can-Am Connection had been profiled winning a number of matches and the on-going friction between Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake had been well documented. As it worked out Valentine carried the bulk of the wrestling for his team with Brutus Beefcake refusing to tag in. Valentine had been dominating Zenk when Beefcake refused, for the third time to tag into the match. Valentine reacted angrily and Beefcake swung at him from the apron! Beefcake then threw his arms up in disgust and walked out on his team, pushing Johnny V out of his way as he walked out! Zenk took advantage, hitting Valentine with a Missile Dropkick to give him and Rick Martel their most high profile victory to date over the former world champions!

Can-Am Connection def. The Dream Team by pinfall in 6:49 ©

--

Afterwards the Can-Am Connection are celebrating in the ring when their attacked by two men in studded leather masks! The mystery men beat the Connection down to the mat, before lifting their masks to reveal painted faces. The pair laugh manically as Johnny V stands between the pair and raise their hands in victory (C-)

--

A video plays of a straight Roddy Piper interview to camera. He’s extremely grateful for the opportunities afforded to him by being a member of the WWF and now it’s time to grab a new dream in Hollywood. He knows he’s got ‘The Look’ and is set to be the biggest ex-wrestler movie star of all time thanks to the support of the millions of WWF fans around the world. He’s dedicating this victory over Adrian Adonis to each and every one of them as a thank you. (A)

--

Hair vs Pride: Roddy Piper v Adrian Adonis

A super over crowd were well into what had been billed as Roddy Piper’s WWF swansong. Both men put in a determined effort and the crowd were eating out of their hands for this one. During the bout, Jimmy Hart had attempted to interfere but found Brutus Beefcake at ringside, holding on to his leg. Beefcake stopped Hart from entering the ring, although Piper looked ready to paste him! A good old fashioned wrestling match came to an end when Adrian Adonis was locked in the sleeper and passed out.

Roddy Piper def. Adrian Adonis by Submission in 11:37 (B+)

--

After the match, Roddy Piper grabbed the knocked out Adrian Adonis and signalled to Brutus Beefcake to get the hair clippers. Beefcake did what he was told and handed them to Piper. What only a few people seemed to notice was that Jimmy Hart, who had been held back by Beefcake to begin with, had stopped struggling… with his back turned, Brutus Beefcake slapped his own sleeper on to Roddy Piper!

Although he struggled as best as he could, Beefcake was still fresh (having not wrestled in his own match) and Piper had just fought a hard match against Adrian Adonis! Piper was soon on the canvas next to Adonis, who Hart was trying to revive. In what will go down as one of the most truly shocking moments in WWF history, Brutus Beefcake cut into Roddy Piper’s hair with the clippers.

Adonis soon joined him and the pair hacked away at the head of Hot Rod! A group of WWF officials attempted to clear the ring but the damage had already been done with huge patches of his hair missing, Piper was helped to the back by Bruno Sammartino (B+)

--

WWF Intercontinental Title Match: Ricky Steamboat (w/George Steele) v Randy ‘Macho Man’ Savage © (w/Miss Elizabeth)What else could follow a shocking moment like that than a competition between two of the WWF’s best in-ring wrestlers? Ricky Steamboat & Randy Savage traded blows and near pinfalls in an absolute clinic of a match that had the crowd eating from their hands. Perhaps a little short, the match was settled with a Flying Karate Chop from Ricky Steamboat after he had already kicked out from the dreaded Savage Elbow! An emotional end to a fantastic match-up.

Ricky Steamboat def. Randy Savage by pinfall in 14:19 to win the WWF Intercontinental title (B+)

--

Another video plays, this time hyping Jake Roberts & The Honky Tonk Man. Great emphasis is made of Honky Tonk Man being a gentleman and discharging the Colonel Jimmy Hart from his services. The video ends with Honky Tonk Man repeating that he needs the help of no man. (B-)

--

Jake Roberts v The Honky Tonk Man

Still on a high from the last match and building themselves for what was still to come, Jake Roberts & The Honky Tonk Man delivered a great match. Like a number of matches on the card, the action flowed backwards and forwards and not for the first time outside interference had a part to play. True to his word, Honky Tonk didn’t need the help of any man to beat Jake Roberts, but he sure needed a woman… A mystery woman, dressed in a 1950s style outfit had been shouting for Honky Tonk Man in an almost masculine scream since the opening bell. Honky Tonk Man had been laying against the guard rail where she was standing, when Jake Roberts came over to press home his advantage. While looking at his foe, she had blatantly scratched at Jake’s face… Roberts went to hit her but paused… long enough for Honky Tonk to pull Jake down face first on to the guard rail. Crawling back into the ring, Honky Tonk Man beat the countout while a dazed Jake Roberts barely moved.

Honky Tonk Man def. Jake Roberts by Countout in 8:24 (B)

--

The mystery woman joins Honky Tonk Man in the ring and they celebrate while a murderous Jake Roberts looks on (B-)

--

WWF Title Match: Hulk Hogan © v Andre the Giant (w/Bobby Heenan)

In a superb bout that had great wrestling and a sizzling crowd, Hulk Hogan defeated Andre The Giant in 10:07 by pinfall with a leg drop. During the match, Hogan had done the unthinkable and bodyslammed the Giant in the middle of the ring! From that point on the result had been inevitable, although the crowd still popped for the victory. Bobby Heenan, aware that all of his plans and machinations were unravelling before his eyes, stood in the corner with his head in his hands as Hogan took the winning pinfall!

Hulk Hogan def. Andre the Giant by pinfall in 10:07 to retain the WWF World Heavyweight title (B-)

--

The show ends with a distraught Bobby Heenan and Andre the Giant heading back up the aisleway while Hulk Hogan poses in the ring with the WWF title (B+)

Next up: The World of Wrestling – March 1987 (Special Report on the activities of the major companies this month)

Archived