Laptop only works in safe mode

The Shape

So I've been all over the internet looking for a solution and figured it wouldn't hurt to extend that here :o

Basically, my laptop right now is fine in safe mode, but if I load it up normally, it'll start and log in etc as usual but at some point on the desktop or shortly after I open any program it'll just freeze up. When I try to system restore in safe mode it crashes as well, either upon restarting or when I'm shutting it down.

I'm fairly sure that because it works in safe mode it's something fairly basic and solvable, and am trying to avoid taking it back to PC World even though I have a warranty because last time they just bashed a few buttons for a while then it started working and they had no idea why. So any ideas/similar experiences would be interesting xD

I had a similar issue on my desktop last year? Maybe the year before. I'd try to boot it up, and anywhere between the log in screen to running for five minutes (give or take), my tower would shut down. It'd stay running in safe mode, until a few weeks later, when even that wasn't working.

I took it to a guy to have it looked at, and he told me it sounded like my motherboard was dying. So I ended up buying a refurbished tower, since it was cheaper than replacing the system.

If it's just shutting down, it might be something bigger, but if it's a blue screen style crash, it may be a driver issue, possibly graphic?

Can't be the motherboard as it works fine in safe mode.

It sounds like a virus. Had a similar issue with restore points being blocked. If you have nothing you are willing to lose do a manufacture restore. You won't need a windows disc if you are running xp, vista, or 7.

From safe mode you should be able to unlicense Your games, or move stuff to a flash drive.

Good luck.

@Shawn, blue screen can be a number of issues. Could be graphic or virus. I'd figure out when it started to blue screen and try a restore. If not, full restore.

So through following various steps to isolate the problem it's looking promising, worked in safe mode then with networking, then this thing called "clean boot" where I have virtually everything and it's fine. So shouldn't take too long to find out the precise problem, and even if I don't it's in a perfectly workable state right now. Hopefully it stays that way at the very least =D Thanks for the help guys.

So through following various steps to isolate the problem it's looking promising, worked in safe mode then with networking, then this thing called "clean boot" where I have virtually everything and it's fine. So shouldn't take too long to find out the precise problem, and even if I don't it's in a perfectly workable state right now. Hopefully it stays that way at the very least =D Thanks for the help guys, and girl

*ahem*

Can't be the motherboard as it works fine in safe mode.

It sounds like a virus. Had a similar issue with restore points being blocked. If you have nothing you are willing to lose do a manufacture restore. You won't need a windows disc if you are running xp, vista, or 7.

From safe mode you should be able to unlicense Your games, or move stuff to a flash drive.

Good luck.

@Shawn, blue screen can be a number of issues. Could be graphic or virus. I'd figure out when it started to blue screen and try a restore. If not, full restore.

I know it's graphic, but i don't know what to do. Don't remember when it started. And sometimes (rarely) the graphics fails and then recover. So, i know it's a graphic problem, don't know which. I'd like to know it thre's another way other than restore.

I know it's graphic, but i don't know what to do. Don't remember when it started. And sometimes (rarely) the graphics fails and then recover. So, i know it's a graphic problem, don't know which. I'd like to know it thre's another way other than restore.

Try uninstalling your graphic drivers and reinstalling them. If that doesn't work you may need a new graphics card.

I've never seen the blue screen from graphics issues, but guess it's possible.

Archived