Rocky Mountain Wrestling: River Deep, Mountain Strong

Total Extreme Radio with David Crockett

“Good evening and welcome to the show wrestling fans. I’m here tonight with the newest wrestling promoter in the United States, Hugh ‘D-Man’ Dansigny, owner and head booker of Rocky Mountain Wrestling. Hugh, welcome to the show and there’s one question I’ve got to start with…why?”

“You really wouldn’t believe how many times I’ve heard that question over the last few months, David, and it’s actually pretty simple. Recently, and by that I mean the last four or five years, there’s been a real upswing in old-school promotions in the US. NYCW’s started to put together something vaguely approaching momentum, and MAW’s doing really well, plus guys like USPW and FCW, they’re not quite 100% Old School but it’s still very much a part of what they do. But, you notice one thing these guys all have in common? They’re all based out of the East Coast. West of Ohio there’s not a whole bunch for fans of traditional, old-school wrestling. I mean, TCW are kind of old-school, and AAA have a kind of entertainment-y spin on the formula, but there’s nothing of an NYCW, MAW kind”

“So you saw a gap in the market?”

“Exactly, that’s completely how I saw it. Plus, the west coast is kind of lacking in independent promotions altogether. If you discount BSC, and I don’t see why I shouldn’t, there’s only CZCW and AAA. At the moment if you tried to open a start-up enterprise on the East Coast you’d have to come up with something really spectacular to stand out from the crowd. Out in Idaho or Montana or whatever you’re pretty much the only game in town, so you don’t have to worry about reinventing the wheel as much”

“Of course you have a lot of experience on the independent scene- this is, what, the sixth promotion you’ve worked for?”

“Yeah, though I’ve done a lot of different jobs for different promotions. I mean, when I started at Philly Power Pro I was an announcer, then at North of the Border I was the Colour guy and then worked behind the scenes on the TV Show. That production job was really the focus of what I did at AAA and USPW- it wasn’t ‘til I went to NYCW in 2006 that I went back to full-time commentary work”

“You’ve been the main colour commentator there since 2006. How did Stomper react to the news you were leaving to form a new promotion? It’s one thing when your talent leaves to move to a new company, but when they’re actually opening new competition…well, I know a few promoters who wouldn’t take kindly to that kind of stunt”

“To be honest, Stomper really didn’t have a problem when I told him why I was leaving. Don’t forget, New York isn’t anywhere near being a national interest yet, and a promotion based out of Montana isn’t exactly going to detract from their business, is it? Plus, y’know, I said to him ‘This is what I want to do. I’m in the same place you were when you opened NYCW, and I just want a chance to see if I can make this work’.”

“So, moving onto the promotion itself, what can we expect to see at a typical RMW show?”

“Right now the big thing that we’re pushing is the women’s division. One advantage of running the same territory as AAA is that there’s no problem with women’s wrestling here, and whilst we’re trying to focus on different wrestlers to them it’s definitely one of the biggest features of RMW. Other than that, we’re really trying to emphasise the diversity of traditional wrestling- everyone has this very particular image of what it meant to be old-school, traditional wrestling, but people tend to forget how diverse the scene was. You take AAFW, CPW and Championship Wrestling from Boston and chances are that there isn’t a lot of overlap between the three styles of product. That kind of diversity, that’s what I want to bring to RMW- we want to have brawlers, technicians, high-fliers, as many different kinds of wrestling as possible in one evening”

“Sounds like a heck of a show. When can we expect to see RMW’s debut show?”

“Well, obviously I’m still in the process of putting the roster together- spoiler alert: I have it on good authority that the promoter’s wife, Tamara McFly, is gonna be there- but we’ve currently got the last Friday of the month pencilled in, with a plan to run at the Showtime Theater in Missoula. Once I know what the card is all the details will be released on our website, but ‘til then, watch this space”

“Thank you, Hugh, and now it’s time to move on to this week’s news, and apparently rumours are circulating that the SWF’s management are involved in, I’m not kidding, satanic worship…”

Card for RMW Rocky Mountain Way I:

FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAMPIONSHIP

‘The Wild-Eyed Southern Warrior’ Jack Griffith vs. ‘Rocky Mountain Cowboy’ Ford Gumble

Handsome Stranger vs. The Sensational Singh

FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN MONTANA CHAMPIONSHIP

Antonio Del Veccio vs. Roderick Remus

FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN TAG TEAM TITLES

Natural Storm (DC Rayne & Eddie Howard) vs. Beautiful & Dangerous (Nelson Callum & Sayeed Ali)

FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN WOMEN’S TITLE

Tamara McFly vs. Gorgon

Is it just me or is Hugh's parts hard to read?

Card for RMW Rocky Mountain Way I:

‘The Wild-Eyed Southern Warrior’ Jack Griffith vs. ‘Rocky Mountain Cowboy’ Ford Gumble

Natural Storm (DC Rayne & Eddie Howard) vs. Beautiful & Dangerous (Nelson Callum & Sayeed Ali)

Tamara McFly vs. Gorgon

I struggled with the orange too...

perfect gimmick for this fed

and the perfect guy to feud with

just like him more

you need the exp bonus

Tamara McFly vs. Gorgon

and a last heel champ

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MichiganHero" data-cite="MichiganHero" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31938" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Is it just me or is Hugh's parts hard to read?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31938" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I struggled with the orange too...</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, it's actually pretty bad. I'll go back and take down the quotebox</p>

<p>FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAMPIONSHIP</p><p>

<strong> ‘The Wild-Eyed Southern Warrior’ Jack Griffith</strong> vs. ‘Rocky Mountain Cowboy’ Ford Gumble</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Handsome Stranger</strong> vs. The Sensational Singh</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN MONTANA CHAMPIONSHIP</p><p>

<strong>Antonio Del Veccio</strong> vs. Roderick Remus</p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN TAG TEAM TITLES</p><p>

Natural Storm (DC Rayne & Eddie Howard) vs. <strong>Beautiful & Dangerous (Nelson Callum & Sayeed Ali)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

FOR THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN WOMEN’S TITLE</p><p>

Tamara McFly vs. <strong>Gorgon</strong></p>

‘The Wild-Eyed Southern Warrior’ Jack Griffith vs. <strong>‘Rocky Mountain Cowboy’ Ford Gumble</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Handsome Stranger vs. <strong>The Sensational Singh</strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Antonio Del Veccio </strong>vs. Roderick Remus</p><p> </p><p>

Natural Storm (DC Rayne & Eddie Howard) vs. <strong>Beautiful & Dangerous (Nelson Callum & Sayeed Ali)</strong></p><p> </p><p>

Tamara McFly vs. <strong>Gorgon</strong></p>

<strong>‘The Wild-Eyed Southern Warrior’ Jack Griffith</strong> vs. ‘Rocky Mountain Cowboy’ Ford Gumble</p><p>

<em>He's Jack Griffith, fool!</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Handsome Stranger</strong> vs. The Sensational Singh</p><p>

<em>He's so Evil.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Antonio Del Veccio</strong> vs. Roderick Remus</p><p>

<em>Not bad, for an indie talent.</em></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Natural Storm (DC Rayne & Eddie Howard)</strong> vs. Beautiful & Dangerous (Nelson Callum & Sayeed Ali)</p><p>

<em>What's that? Do I see a Natural Storm mark booking this promotion?</em></p><p> </p><p>

Tamara McFly vs. <strong>Gorgon</strong></p><p>

<em>MONSTER.</em></p>

First of all, thank you to everyone who's commented thus far. To get this number of responses this early in a dynasty (granted, it's not my first, though i'm hoping it will be the first to end organically rather than through machine/user error) is very cool, especially when it's within twenty-four hours of the first post going up.

Secondly, the show should be going up either later this evening or tomorrow, so if there's anybody else who wants to get predictions in there's still time.

RMW Rocky Mountain Way I

Live to DVD from the Showtime Theater

Wednesday, Week 4, January 2010

Audience: 835

Pre-Show/DVD Extras

The Balcony Express vs. The Young Americans

This was the first ever match in RMW history, and whilst it maybe could have been better I’m not complaining at all. The Balcony Express are better known as The Ring Generals in NYCW, where they’re former tag team champions, and their experience shows in the ring: not only are they both pretty competent technicians, they’ve got the double teams down perfectly and have a real grasp of tag psychology (that’s actually why they’re known as The Ring Generals elsewhere: here in RMW, though, I wanted to go with a different kind of gimmick for them). Against The Young Americans, who know a thing or two about taking a beating, that made for a very solid match, albeit one that did rather more for Statler and Waldorf than it did for their opponents. In the end, of course, victory went to the heels, after The Express’ manager Ernest Forthdyke-Hume distracted the ref long enough for them to low-blow Matt Hocking and then hit Regular Joe with their double-team finisher, From the Balcony (Stack Superplex).

Winners: The Balcony Express Match Rating: D

The Show

The first official match of RMW Rocky Mountain Way was also our first title match, and these two certainly didn’t let us down. Antonio is one of the strongest midcarders we’ve got, and whilst Roderick’s not that great- he’s a fairly bland high flier with a little technique- he does know how to sell a beating and make a comeback, which works quite well against Antonio’s more methodical style. That really told the story of this match: Antonio controlled the early going, trying to ground Remus and work him over on the mat, only for Roderick to escape at about the 8 minute mark and stage a high-energy comeback, eventually setting Del Veccio up for the R-Borne (450 Splash). Unfortunately for Double R Ernest Forthdyke-Hume was once again at ringside, and he pulled Antonio out of the way as Roddy went for the move. The impact took Remus straight out of the game, leaving Antonio to claim the win (and the title) with an Oklahoma Roll and a handful of tights.

Winner: Antonio Del Veccio Match Rating: D

“What a match! Fans, welcome to the debut of Rocky Mountain Wrestling, coming from the Showtime Theatre right here in Missoula Montana! I’m your host, Remmington Remus, and joining me on commentary is Hugh ‘D-Man’ Dansigny”

“Have you been stealing my coffee Remmington? ‘Cos you are way too excited tonight”

“Can you blame me? We’ve got not one, not two, not even three, but four great matches still to come, with three titles still to be claimed! The First Lady of Wrestling Tamara McFly will take on the Queen of the Mountain Gorgon for the RMW Women’s Title! Natural Storm will be facing the new combo of Beautiful & Dangerous for the Tag Team Titles! Handsome Stranger will be taking on ‘Mr. Saturday Night’ The Sensational Singh! And in our main event, Jack Griffith and Ford Gumble will be going to war for the Rocky Mountain Championship!”

“Ford Gumble has no chance in this one- Jack Griffith is the craziest S.O.B I’ve ever met. Ten seconds in there and Ford’ll be running like a Red Indian from the Seventh Cavalry”

“Jack might be crazy, but you’d be hard pressed to find a man with more courage than Ford Gumble. Dangerous or not, there’s no way Ford’s backing down from this one”

“His loss- Jack doesn’t just beat people, he breaks them. Ford might be brave, but courage don’t win matches, power does”

“Don’t forget, though, Ford’s been to the biggest stage of them all- he worked for TCW for years, and there’s no company in the US bigger than them”

“So, losing constantly in a big promotion makes you better than one of the most successful wrestlers on the independent scene? Sometimes, Remus, you don’t make any sense at all”

“Much as I’d love to sit here and bandy words with you Hugh, it’s time to return our focus to the ring, as it’s time for the Women’s Title to go on the line!”

As hype angles go, this was great. I’m not sure how well the main event will go, but with hype like this behind it we should at least be able to get the crowd into it.

Rating: D

Gorgon vs. Tamara McFly

The women’s division was launched in style with this match, which kicked the show up a notch and then some. Gorgon’s the only member of the division we share with AAA, but she’s also one of the brightest prospects in women’s wrestling and the closest thing you can get to a monster heel in women’s wrestling. As for Tammy, she’s always good, and tonight was no exception: not only did she manage to talk me into putting Gorgon over, she then went out and made the rookie look like a million bucks. The story for this one was simple: Gorgon dominated with power moves and dirty tricks courtesy of Ernest at ringside, whilst Tamara fought back with veteran wiles and fluid technical wrestling. Eventually, though, she couldn’t find a counter for Gorgon’s sheer, grinding aggression, and eventually the rookie monster got the win with the Hydra Bomb (Rydeen Bomb)

Winner: Gorgon Match Rating: C-

No sooner has the bell rung than Ernest’s in the ring, mic in hand

“Do you see, RMW? Do you see what happens when you wrestle the Queen of the Mountain Gorgon? Now the women’s title is around her waist it’s never coming off! You want it off her? You’re going to have to claw it from her cold, dead hands. In fact, I’m putting out the word now. Anybody thinks they’ve got what it takes to defeat Gorgon and claim the women’s title, they’re welcome to step into the ring next month at Life in the Fast Lane and try it. You’ll fail, of course, but maybe you’ll get lucky. Maybe you’ll live”

This didn’t work as the hype angle from earlier, but to be fair Ernest’s fairly obscure, and the reaction was okay anyway.

Rating: D-

Natural Storm vs. Beautiful & Dangerous

Oh, arse. This was a good, solid match (as you’d expect from these four) but Nelson and Sayeed have zero chemistry as tag team partners. It’s not a complete disaster- they’re both solid singles competitors, and they were never going to play a major part in the tag division anyway- but it does mean that I do have to find a new tag team from somewhere to fill the gap. Fortunately the Storm do work well together, and did an excellent job covering for the rough patches the other team threw up- like I said, one-on-one Nelson and Sayeed did a good job, but they didn’t have the flow down right and they had a tendency to transition from one to the other really awkwardly. The end came when Nelson fond himself on the wrong end of a lariat from Eddie Howard, leaving The Ravishing One laid out on the mat. One A Storm is Coming (Running Big Boot/STO) later, and we had our inaugural Rocky Mountain Tag Team Champions.

Winners: Natural Storm Match Rating: D

After the disappointing tag title match this got us back on track. Handsome Stranger, another of Ernest’s clients, isn’t the greatest wrestler in the world, but he combines name value with solid fundamentals and can generally be relied upon to deliver in this kind of environment. As for Singh, I’m not expecting him to stay on the indy scene for long: he’s a great competitor, with an excellent blend of wrestling ability and charisma, and if TCW or Supreme don’t sign him up then they’re dumber than I take them for (and just to be clear, that’s very dumb). Given the competitors, this match was a classic example of power vs. finesse, as Stranger attempted to use his brawling skill to dominate, only to be countered by Singh’s all-round excellence. In the end it took the malign presence of Ernest Forthdyke-Hume at ringside to secure his client the win, as he distracted the ref long enough for Stranger to nail a low-blow and roll Singh up for the pin.

Winner: Handsome Stranger Match Rating: C-

Jack Griffith vs. Ford Gumble

After the last match’s combination of brawling and finesse, the main event saw both men ditch any pretence of technical prowess and instead go straight into an all-out fight that went through the crowd and into the balcony overlooking the ring. The early phase of the match was all Jack Griffith, who dominated Ford with his high-energy brawling and willingness to introduce weaponry into the match (I explained this lapse in the rule-making with one very simple observation: ‘He’s Jack Griffith: would you try and stop him?’). Ford held on, though, and managed to stage a couple of comebacks when he could bring his superior aerial talents to bear- one particularly memorable spot involved him springboarding off the balcony to hit Jack with a Double Axe Handle. In the end, of course, the action finally got back to the ring, and Jack took the early advantage with a knee to the face and a back splash that got him a two count. From there he went for the Jack In The Box (Lungblower off the top rope), but Ford managed to dodge the move with a well-timed backflip and nail the Quick Draw Kick (Savate Kick), knocking Jack out and giving Ford a chance to hook his leg and get the three count.

Winner: Ford Gumble Match Rating: C-

No sooner has the bell rung than Ernest Forthdyke-Hume comes down to ringside, mic in hand.

“Bravo, Ford Gumble. Looks like you’re the Rocky Mountain Champion…for now. Next month, at Rough Justice, how’s about you put that title on the line against a real competitor, not some drunken burnout like Griffith. How’s about you defend the title against my client, Handsome Stranger?”

“You want a match with me, Stranger?

“You got it.”

Whilst this didn’t get the reaction that the main event had done, it’s pop was far better than I’d expected.

Rating: D

Overall Rating: D+, a good debut result for us.

Thanks for the kind words jesseewiak- just for that, I'm putting you on the 'do not kill' list :D

Anyway, folks, let's have a look at how the predictions went this time:

MichiganHero: 1/5

Boltinho: 4/5

Rayelek: 3/5

Midnightnick: 3/5

Regis: 4/5

So, Regis and Boltinho win, and as usual with my diaries, they get to ask a question of any RMW superstar they wish.

No idea when the next show will go up, though it should be soonish as I'm working on keeping up my buffer of shows.

Question for Ernest Forthdyke-Hume:

It seems to me like you're representing a significant number of interests in RMW. How do you reconcile the large number of clients you have? Do you worry that they will end up stepping on one another's toes?

Here's the questions- sorry they're late, I've struggle to get my head round Stranger and Ernie's characters.

Firstly, this one from Boltinho:

For Handsome Stranger: "Is that your real name? And if so what were your parents thinking?"

Handsome Stranger: ...Stupid Puta. You do remember my days as Mikel Alonso, right? 'Course it's no my real name.

Secondly, this one from Regis:

Question for Ernest Forthdyke-Hume: "It seems to me like you're representing a significant number of interests in RMW. How do you reconcile the large number of clients you have? Do you worry that they will end up stepping on one another's toes?"

Ernest Forthdyke-Hume: It's called a stable, genius, look it up. My clients are of one mind, and one purpose. We are The Kings of the Mountain, and very soon we'll be running this promotion.

Next post will be coming in the next twenty-four hours or so- I'm working on the April Show, and I want to have that finished before the next post goes up.

It had been a week since Hugh finally moved to the frankly absurdly large house in Missoula. The furniture consisted almost entirely of creatively stacked boxes, the only room that even looked fully inhabited was the bedroom (and that was all Tammy’s work), and all that inhabited the strange, slightly less box-filled room that Tammy insisted on calling the kitchen was a very large, very expensive, coffee machine.

He couldn’t remember a time when he’d been having more fun.

“Hugh, honey, I’m not trying to lecture you, but is it possible that you could actually unpack something before the end of the week?”

For someone who was trying not to lecture him, Tammy could get awfully bossy. Not that Hugh minded, but he found the irony amusing.

“I’ll unpack when we have furniture, Tammy, but ‘til then I need something to prop the computer on”

Hugh’s computer was an extremely old desktop from sometime prior to the year 2000 that still occasionally found the internet too complex to handle. Next to the coffee machine and the picture of Hugh and Tammy on their honeymoon (they’d gone to Mexico and spent most of the week in bed or in the audience at OLLIE shows) it was his most prized possession.

“Honey, I realise this may shock you, but in order to get furniture we might actually need some room in the house. And besides, once we’ve got some room you can get one of those giant chairs you were pretending not to be ogling in the furniture story yesterday.”

If there was one thing Hugh felt he could count on, it would be his penchant for ornate chairs. And if there was one thing Tammy could count on, it was his willingness to instantly concede the point when she mentioned purchasing him said upholstery.

“Okay, okay, I’ll look into it, okay? Maybe tomorrow or something. Just make sure it’s a good chair, okay? Cupholders and everything”

“No problem honey. Now, watcha doing?”

Most people, Hugh realised, would probably find Tammy’s mock-schoolgirl act endearing or sexy or something. He just found it irritating- which was really why she did it. Hers was a teasing sense of humour

“Trying to work out the storylines for the next few months. Turns out it’s a lot harder to come up with ideas for a start-up outfit than it was in New York. No history to draw on, and half the fans out here don’t know jack-diddly-do-dah about the talent”

“Well it was your idea to pitch up in the Rockies honey- you must have guessed this wasn’t exactly famed for its smart and knowledgeable fanbase”

“Remember Tammy, logic and the Dansigny family haven’t been on speaking terms since Uncle Jack decided to leave Maple Leaf Sports and take over the CWF’s production team for peanuts. It’s our family motto- act now, grumble later.”

“And incessantly if you’re anything to go by- oh, don’t give me that look, we’ve been married too long for it to work. Anyway, what’s the problem?”

“What isn’t? For a start off, we have three top stars and I can’t decide which of them should feud over the top title. Then we’ve got Antonio’s complete lack of challengers for the Montana Title- Singh’s the obvious candidate but TCW’d have to be retarded not to sign him up the minute they turn global. Throw in the disaster that was Beautiful & Dangerous and the only storyline that’s not gonna fail is you and Gorgon”

Tammy’s smile dimmed ever so slightly at that. She’d already made her feelings on Hugh’s plans for her very clear, but nepotism was a way of life for him, and besides, when his heart was set on something nobody could talk Hugh out of it.

“Oh come on, Hugh, this is your big creative problem? A couple of midcard issues and a tag team that didn’t work out? Puh-lease, this is nothing compared to what we have to go through at BSC. At least your roster can all wrestle. Besides, there’s something very important that you’ve forgotten”

“Oh yeah? And what might that be?”

“You’re the best in the world at what you do. I mean, c’mon, you managed to convince people that Giant Redwood could challenge for the USPW World title. Next to that, this is nothing. So buck up, tidy up and then you can get this sorted out after dinner- or coffee, if I know you the way I do”

“I’d love to help, sweetie, but I promised Remmington I’d have the booking sheet for Rough Justice ready for him to e-mail out before tomorrow. Got to get to work and all that, you know how it is…”

Tammy did know how it was. Nothing motivated Hugh like the promise of hard work, or more specifically avoiding it.

Card for RMW Rough Justice:

Ford Gumble © vs. Handsome Stranger

Jack Griffith vs. The Sensational Singh

Antonio Del Veccio © vs. Ricky Douglas

Natural Storm © vs. The Balcony Express

Gorgon © vs. ‘Double A’ Amber Allen

Tamara McFly vs. Christina Charlston

Because **** Ernest Forthdyke-Hume, that's why.

Main Event guy regains his win, Singh puts over guys before the potential move to the big leagues.

But still, **** Ernest Forthdyke-Hume.

I love these guys!

She is pretty badass.

It pained Hugh enough to make her lose once. Not again.

Hmmmm. A lot of standard defences there makes me unsure... Oh well :D

Sorry this is late, work took over

RMW Rough Justice

Live to DVD from the Showtime Theater

Wednesday, Week 4, February 2010

Audience: 912

Pre-Show/DVD Extras

The Vegas Connection vs. The Young Americans

This was a slightly disappointing match, but then there is a reason it went on in the dark. The main problem was experience: most of my tag matches owe their success to the experience of the teams in question above individual talent, and neither team here have that level of familiarity with one another. I put together the Connection, which consists of Nelson and Sammy the Shark, to replace Beautiful & Dangerous, and on the evidence here that should work out pretty well: there’s no great chemistry between them, but the gimmicks more or less match up and they’re both pretty solid workers. Sammy took the win here, nailing Regular Joe with the Ace in the Hole (Stunner).

Winners: The Vegas Connection Match Rating: D-

The Show

This was another solid match to kick the show off, although I know the women’s division can do better. Chrissy, though, isn’t on the level of Gorgon by a long chalk, and whilst her very grounded technical style is a good fit for us she’s not the most consistent worker in the world and can sometimes struggle to transition between holds particularly smoothly. As for Tammy, she’s always good but struggled to get out of first gear here for some reason, and that meant the match never really got fire the way it could have. Story-wise this was more about technical skill than any kind of narrative, although me and Remmington did play up the fact that the winner of this match would be in an excellent position to claim future title shots. In the end, of course, Tammy took the win, rolling through a crucifix pin into the McFly Roll (Rolling Fireman’s Carry Slam).

Winner: Tamara McFly Match Rating: D

Backstage at the RMW Interview Position, Ford Gumble’s on hype duty for the main event

“Big match tonight. Title on the line.

“Handsome Stranger, you ain’t winning this one”

Ford Gumble’s got this very terse, to the point promo style that goes over great with fans, ensuring that this got a very acceptable reaction.

Rating: D+

Dazzling Dave Diamond vs. Sayeed Ali

It’s becoming very clear to me that our fanbase likes rugged brawlers- this was one of our best matches our midcard has put on yet. To be fair Sayeed’s one of our strongest workers, but Dave shouldn’t be overlooked either: in his debut match he showed the charisma and entertainment value that made him such a hit in NYCW, and did a good job playing off of Sayeed’s more serious, brutal character with some deliciously over-the-top antics. For the most part, though, this was a very intense brawl, that spilled out of the ring and onto the floor for an impressive exchange of forearms and headbutts that saw Sayeed get the edge long enough to throw Dave into the ring and hit the GBH Driver (Northern Lights Driver). He hit it too close to the ropes, though, and Diamond was able to get his feet on the bottom rope to break the pin. Sayeed tried to go for the move again, but this time Dave was able to wriggle free and nail his own Dazzle Driver (Death Valley Driver) for the victory.

Winner: Dazzling Dave Diamond Match Rating: D+

Antonio del Veccio vs. Ricky Douglas

This was a battle of former MAW stars (well, technically Ricky’s still there, but you know what I mean), as both these guys have history in that promotion. Ricky’s probably not the best Rip Chord’s ever trained, but he’s got potential and a great no-nonsense personality that should go over well in RMW. Antonio, meanwhile, is one of our best workers, and whilst he’s not got the experience to carry a weaker opponent he shouldn’t need to here, as I prefer more workrate-based guys that can hold up their end of the bargain. Story-wise, we went with a simple one: Ricky was all business, focussed on beating Antonio and taking the Montana championship, whilst Antonio was forced to resort to some decidedly underhanded tricks and the help of Ernest Forthdyke-Hume to reclaim the advantage. In the end Ernest was able to distract Ricky long enough for Antonio to pounce, scoring a quick O’Connor Roll and getting the three with a handful of tights.

Winner: Antonio Del Veccio Match Rating: D

After the bell has rung Antonio is celebrating in the ring, when Dazzling Dave Diamond comes down to ringside, mic in hand.

“You know what? I’ve decided I don’t like you Del Veccio. Seems to me anyone riding with a creep like Ernie Hume means nothin’ but trouble for everyone in RMW looking to play by the rules and win their matches the hard way. Now, I like to fight my battles face to face, the way nature intended it, so what say you and me get together at Spring Stampede and settle it like men?”

Dave’s still settling into his role here, so whilst this was a solid promo it didn’t get the reaction it could have.

Rating: E+

Natural Storm vs. The Balcony Express

After the dissapointment of last month’s tag match this was more like what I’d expected: a good, exciting tag match that told a solid story and featured some solid action. It was also livened up by some good chemistry: the Storm are managed by Nicole Kiss, and as it happens she has a very natural interplay with DC Rayne that added an extra dimension to the match. She also played her part in keeping Ernest Forthdyke-Hume in check, getting between him and the ring when she could and yanking him off the apron when she couldn’t. That left the focus firmly in the ring, and neither team was able to claim the advantage for long enough to take the win- Storm had the edge in individual power and size, but The Balcony Express had the slight edge as a team and the technical skill to match their opponents’ power. In the end it went to a time-limit draw, just as Eddie Howard managed to hit the Crash and Burn (Jumping Crossbody).

Winners: None Match Rating: D+

Gorgon vs. Amber Allen

This was another great match from the women’s division, though I’m not sure who was doing the heavy lifting here. Not that it matters, really, but it’d be good to know if Gorgon’s the powerhouse of the division or whether she’s merely been helped by the quality of her opponents. I’m inclined to think it’s a bit of both- Gorgon’s a very capable worker, and if she can develop her fundamentals just a little she’ll be great, but she has been up against some of the best women outside of AAA and that has to have made a difference to the quality of her matches. In any case, Double A is a bright young prospect and didn’t disappoint tonight: we built the match around the contrast between Gorgon’s power-based style and Amber’s pure wrestling, which worked pretty well. In the end, though, Gorgon was once again able to take the victory, blocking an attempt at the Northern Lights Suplex and nailing the Hydra Bomb to score the W.

Winner: Gorgon Match Rating: C-

After the match is over, Gorgon decides to add insult to injury and starts to lay a vicious beatdown on Double A, who’s still feeling the effects of the Hydra Bomb. Before The Queen of the Mountain can go too far, though, Tamara hits the ring and drives her off. The reception to this was muted but seemed pretty positive, and in any case it was only done to set up a match next month

Rating: E-

Back at the RMW interview position, Jack Griffith is on hype duty for his match

“I’m gonna lay it out right now: Singh, I don’t give a good god-d@mn about you or our match tonight. You might be tough, you might have heart, hell, you might be one of the best wrestlers in RMW, but I’m all kinds of crazy and tonight I’m going to unleash the fury on you. And then, I’m going after my belt: Ford Gumble, you got lucky at Rocky Mountain Way, and next time we get into the ring together I am going to show you why they call me The Wild-Eyed Southern Wonder. Stranger, I don’t care who your friends are, if you even think about getting in my way I will tear you limb from limb and throw a hoedown on your remains. Notice is served, boys- after I’m done with Singh, I’m going after you- Both of you”

Jack really is almost as crazy as he plays it, and that lends his promo’s a kind of integrity that augments the reaction.

Rating: D+

It was hardly a surprise, but this was another excellent match from some of our top talent. Jack’s had his problems in the past, everyone knows that, but he’s still got it where it counts, and for a promotion our size he’s still one of the best workers you could hope for. As for Singh, he’s an excellent all-rounder, and has the fundamentals to make up for Jack’s weaknesses (namely consistency: Jack’s one of the worst hit-and-miss guys I’ve ever seen). This match was another wild brawl, although Singh threw in some technique to keep things interesting, and as usual with Jack it spilled into the crowd about halfway through. I’ll have to talk to him about that: it’s one thing when a few matches are wild brawls, but right now he doesn’t seem willing to try and go for anything else, and that’s the sort of thing that can look very shabby to the critics, and at our level you can’t just tell them to go hang, much as I would like to. Griffith took the win here after the match got back to the ring, countering an attempted moonsault into the Jack in the Box for the 3-count.

Winner: Jack Griffith Match Rating: C-

Ford Gumble vs. Handsome Stranger

This was another good match, although it didn’t quite match its predecessor in terms of intensity. What it did have, though, was a much stronger focus on the action rather than Jack’s penchant for wild brawls through the crowd: Ford and Stranger are both perfectly capable of doing that, but for the most part they’re more disciplined (or not as lazy, depending on how you look at it), and kept the action firmly inside the ring. Of course that didn’t mean that everything was completely controlled and fair: Stranger and his manager spent most of the match cheating outrageously in order to gain the advantage, and for a while it looked like that might be enough to claim the advantage for the Stranger. Ford was able to fight back, though, and even nailed the Quick Draw Kick, a surefire way to claim the win. Unfortunately for him, it was at this point that Jack Griffith got involved, charging down to the ring with a chair and going after both competitors. A full-on brawl broke out, once Stranger was back on his feet anyway, and that left our ref Jonathan Taylor with no choice but to throw the match out.

Winner: None Match Rating: C-

Overall Rating: D+, and a very slight step down from our debut show. Still a good one, though, so I’m not complaining

<p>Let's have a look at the predictions, shall we?</p><p> </p><p>

Midnightnick: 3/6</p><p>

Regis: 4/6</p><p>

Boltinho: 4/6</p><p> </p><p>

So, Boltinho and Regis win (again), and once again get fan questions, though not to the same characters in order to keep rotation up.</p>

Archived