Question re: Pic making, GIMP, etc

Hey chaps and any chappesses. I'm currently getting all new pics ready for my upcoming diary.

I get my pics from PSD Dreams and for anyone else who uses them will know, the great thing about the pics from there is that you cut what part of the pic you want and put it on your background and only the actual wrestler shows up, all the white background disappears.

However, what I'd like to know is, how can I cut a 150x150 selection and save it for future use for putting on any backgrounds I want? If I cut the 150x150 selection and paste it to kyky, then it works fine. If I save that as a new file, then open it up and try to cut it on to a background, all the white background copies over too. Is there any way of saving it so that I can use it again with just the wrestler being put on the background?

Hopefully someone actually knows what I'm on about but I may not have described it too well :D

Hey chaps and any chappesses. I'm currently getting all new pics ready for my upcoming diary.

I get my pics from PSD Dreams and for anyone else who uses them will know, the great thing about the pics from there is that you cut what part of the pic you want and put it on your background and only the actual wrestler shows up, all the white background disappears.

However, what I'd like to know is, how can I cut a 150x150 selection and save it for future use for putting on any backgrounds I want? If I cut the 150x150 selection and paste it to kyky, then it works fine. If I save that as a new file, then open it up and try to cut it on to a background, all the white background copies over too. Is there any way of saving it so that I can use it again with just the wrestler being put on the background?

Hopefully someone actually knows what I'm on about but I may not have described it too well :D

Im not entirely sure what you mean but if you're using GIMP then just make sure you save copies of your stuff as GIMP XCF files as well as jpegs (or whatever youre using). That way you can save it as layers and use or not as you need.

If you just save as a JPEG, etc then the background is part of the image so it will always show it.

Hey. Tried saving as an xcf but still having the same issue.

I'll try and describe the problem a little better now, as I was at work earlier and didn't have the luxury of time.

So, I download this pic of Randy Orton from psd dreams.

http://psd-dreams.de/render.php?image_id=40082

This is what it looks like in my pic folder. It has a white background....

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/sebsyboy/Pic1.jpg

However when I open it in GIMP, it is already cut with just Orton visible, like so...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/sebsyboy/pic2.jpg

So I can just cut the 150x150 segment I want without having to do any erasing, and put it straight on to kyky.

However what I want to do is to be able to save that cut 150x150 segment as its own file so that in the future I can open it and cut on to other backgrounds again without having to do any erasing, but when I save it, it saves with the white background and not with the chequered erase layer behind Orton.

Hopefully that makes more sense because I really don't know how I can convey it any better.

Alternatively you can save it as a .PNG or .GIF as those file types wont fill in the transparency with white.

GIF will reduce your picture to 256 colors and give you hard edges where image meets transparency, however, so that's something to keep in mind.

Yeah, saving them as png, but originally that was saving them with the white background as a now full colour meaning I couldn't then reuse it.

Had to physically set the background in advanced options to transparency.

I usually save my cuts as PNG too. I don't remember having to change anything to keep the transparency. But like FL its been awhile. Also, to Crayon, thanks for the heads up on the GIF issue. I wasn't aware that happened. Definitely good to know. Cheers.

Archived