so I went to buy Arkham City...

Purple Cowboy

I get a lot of grief at game stores in general but this one guy in gamestation is bating me to drag him over the counter and throw him through a window.

Due to the general ineptitude staff at games stores around me display I rarely ever go in one. I can buy it cheaper on Amazon and I don't have to put up with someone who has half a GCSE and no personality and still somehow got a job. Actually, saying that, I tend to buy games from ASDA nowadays. They are generally cheaper than GAME and HMV, and the staff don't pretend to know more about FIFA 12 than EA.

I actually bought a game from HMV once and didn't get a disc with it - he didn't appear to put anything in it, so I checked immediately and went straight back in (fortunately for me). He was new, I guess, so I just got a sheepish look, an apology and the disc :D

Must be difficult being pretty :p.

Just read Brashley's EA MMA story and that is unbelievable. I would have wanted to go and take it back but the shame of it all may have made me keep it.

I get a lot of grief at game stores in general but this one guy in gamestation is bating me to drag him over the counter and throw him through a window.

I went to pick up a copy of fifa 12 the day it came out without having pre-ordered it. They didn't have any copies of the game on the shelf so I went to ask the guy behind the counter if they still had any in stock. This is roughly how the conversation went:

Me: "Hi there, do you happen to have a copy of fifa12 on the ps3 for sale?"

Employee: *derisory snort* "Don't you think you should have pre-ordered it?"

Me: "I didn't have the opportunity to pre-order it so I thought I would take my chances instead."

Employee: "Why didn't you come to the midnight release?"

Me: "Sleep is a horrible requirement I suppose"

Employee: "*5-10 minute monologue on the pitfalls of not pre-ordering*"

Me: *Now thoroughly annoyed* "Well it looks like it worked out to me."

Employee: "Next time you probably won't be as lucky."

Me: "Now that I have been unjustly rollocked for a mundane task can I just have the game so I can leave?"

Employee hands over the game.

I don't like being rude but he pushes my buttons.

I also recently got two workers at talktalk reported to their managers. I actually asked too many challenging questions for one of their level three engineers who gave up and put the phone down.

Yeah they love bitching at you for not pre-ordering. I pretty much had the exact same conversation when I bought L.A. Noire (I dislike that game). The guy went on and on about how I should have pre-ordered the game because then you risk it not being there when you come in.

To which I said, if it was here it was here if not that would have been fine. The only reason why I stopped there was because it was on my way home. I guess to an extent I feel for them because they probably have to deal with a lot of jerk customers who flip out on them if the game is not there. Having worked in retail in the past I can relate to them because it is no fun when you have someone yelling at you over something they could have avoided.

I don't get much grief from the people that work at stores as I do the random morons strolling around. If I'm looking at a game deciding if I want it or not please don't interrupt my thought to tell me I don't want to waste the money. I WILL give you my opinion back and not very sweetly. :D

I would really have to consider how much time, energy and gas it is going to take me to correct their mistake.

And then weigh it along with the fact that its Gamestop. Fricken Gamestop. I bet they wouldnt even say thanks. Just try to pressure me into preordering whatever assemply line crap FPS is coming out next.

Gamestop is an evil corporation who profits on lies and tears. They are despicable and treat their employees terribly. Speaking generally of course, those kids just stay there because they 1) don't know any better and/or 2) Just think it's cool to work around games. Which it is, so to some that makes it worth it.

Also, more obviously, the third possible reason is that they are just plain dumb and all they can do is scan crap into a computer and take money for it.

And this dude couldn't even do THAT right.

The guy was irresponsible and wasn't paying attention to his job. You profited from his mistake. You didn't steal anything. You didn't do anything wrong. In the history of all the people that company screws over, you owe it to all of them to enjoy your game + $60.

I think the more important point is, you made an effort to correct the error, but he made another one. Now, there is a case for you to not try again. After all, you DID try to correct the error, and because he made a second one, it might inconvenience you.

That being said, if you feel that you should try again to relieve the mistake, I believe you should, because that's what I would do. But if he makes yet another mistake that hurts them... well, you already tried.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm a big fan of karma lately, I'd go back and be honest. Even if they end up doing nothing, it will get you back someday.

He was being honest. Seriously, if people screw up twice, I'm not spending my time rectifying all my mistakes. Perhaps if I'd stop by another time I'd mention it, but I probably won't even bother. Furthermore, you're not screwing him, you're screwing a company that makes loads of money anyways. Why feel bad about it. I do believe in Karma, but this can't be it. I'm not a materialist at all, the last person to ever commit a crime and couldn't care less about the 'free' cash (even though I'm kinda poor), but people have to learn one way or another.

If you do genuinely feel bad about the whole thing, by all means: return it. Most companies will be thankful enough to at least give you something else in return.

edit: there you go. :) best thing about it is that you must feel pretty good right now, being all good samaritan and stuff. Enjoy that. :)

Damn that's a hefty deal. I had a situation a while back where I wanted to get a smoothie cup top from this small restaurant for a milkshake I was getting from my parents restaurant for my cousin that we were going to visit (we were out of cup tops). I was too shy just to show up and ask for one, so I gave the guy at the till a tenner and asked him to get me a blueberry smoothie. Guy makes the smoothie and breaks up the bill, giving me back a fiver, then five 1 coins and then 25 piastars. Me, not realising this, went back to my parents place, gave my sister the top to put on the milkshake, and started drinking this smoothie.

Completely disgusting smoothie, I was bitching about it the whole way there and my sister was just like "stop drinking it then!", but I just kept saying I paid for it, so I was going to drink it. She asks me how much I paid for it, so I take out my money and only then do I realize what happened. I tell her, she laughs and tells me I can stop drinking the horrible smoothie. I refuse, saying I paid for it so I was going to drink it. She laughs and points out the extra money I got. I just retorted the man who made the smoothie was clearly reimbursing me ahead of time for the horrible smoothie.

And then I finished it. :p

Archived