Ideas For 1.1

NOTE: This isn't the thread to discuss things that would obviously be things that would require re-writes on a level that would only be for BBCF2. (In other words, this isn't the place to bring up in-season recruiting or massive interface changes.) I thought this WOULD, however, be a good opportunity to consolidate ideas that might be feasible for the 1.1 update, or another one in the future. [u][b]THINGS ALREADY MENTIONED BY ARLIE AS PRIORITIES FOR 1.1 [/b][/u] [list] [*]Three injury settings [*]Full-league HTML for online leagues [*]Playoff brackets [/list][u][b] THOUGHTS FROM SKYDOG [/b][/u] [list] [*]Keyboard shortcuts in interface (ie ability to scroll from one player card to the next with the up and down arrows) [*]HTML and E-mail with a list of Bowl matchups [*]Historical Team vs. Team Records [*]E-mail with where they went in the draft. (Rank the top 224 Seniors/Early Declarers, weighted by position....) [*]On the "Recruit Players" screen, have it "remember" the most recent sort data that was used from the last week, last time the screen was viewed, etc. I have to re-select "Recruiting" and "Watch List" every single week. Annoying. [*]Add global settings to have AI automate up to four things: offense depth chart, offense game plan, defense depth chart, defense game plan. I like to tweak my offensive game plan personally each week, but I use the "suggest" button for defense every week. [*]HAVE THE DEPTH CHART LOCKS REMAIN IN PLACE FROM WEEK TO WEEK IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! [*]Full list of recruit class (HTML, formatted something like this: [url="http://fof.sportplanet.gamespy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987715&postcount=65"]http://fof.sportplanet.gamespy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987715&postcount=65[/url]) [*]Global "Suggest" button for training, so that every player on the team could get a suggestion, then the human player could go in and elect to do training for whatever key players he wanted to deal with. [*]Rather than three injury settings, have a 0-100 scale, with 0 being no injuries, 50 being default, and 100 doubling the default setting. [*]Recruit rankings report, not just my team, but how every team did. [/list]That's all for now, but I'd imagine I'll have more later. Others?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see something done with rivals, though in all honesty, I'm not sure what. I love the concept, especially how it relates to the added intensity of your team during those games. I only wish there was a way to maybe add more than one or have different levels. Using Tennessee as an example, their traditional rival is Alabama; however, Florida and UGA have become "hotter" rivals in recent years. There's also a rivalry with Vandy, since they are an in-state team. Just a thought. I'm not sure if this is feasible or even desired by anyone else.

I will post this but I don't know enough about programming to know if it's update material or future release material: The scheduling logic needs to be fine tuned w.r.t. rivalries. I would think that if the logic is already available to specify week 15 for a rivalry that it wouldn't be hard to allow other weeks to be specified. This would also allow/require additional columns in the Teams table for secondary and tertiary rivals. Here's an example: [code] Team Rival 1 Week Rival 2 Week Rival 3 Week Colorado Colorado State 1 Nebraska 15 Colorado State Colorado 1 Iowa Iowa State 1 Minnesota 0 Wisconsin 0 Iowa State Iowa 1 Kansas Missouri 0 Kansas State 0 Kansas State Nebraska 0 Kansas 0 Nebraska Colorado 15 Kansas State 0 Oklahoma Texas 6 Oklahoma State 15 Oklahoma State Oklahoma 15 Texas Oklahoma 6 Texas A&M 15 Texas A&M Texas 15 Texas Tech 0 [/code] Week 0 would still mean any available week. I like the SchedMatch table even though I'm not 100% sure how it works yet. (What exactly does Expires do when you put a number in there. And what is the number to put in there other than 0?) [i]edited to add[/i] - Also the conference rivals in opposite divisions of two division conferences needs to be addressed but I assume that is more complicated and would have to be a 2.0 fix. That would cause havoc with the conference scheduling algorithms I'd think.

Maybe I have been ruined by FM, but I tend to pick a system/tactics and then try to find players that will do well in it. Tha t being said, with my little Hawaii team, it is always going to be a vertical passing team every year, whether my guys pull it off or not. So my suggestion, if at all possible, can you set it to allow the offensive/defensive strategy to remain set from year to year, and oly change to the assistant coaches recommedation if you push the suggest button. It is a minor hassle to reset all my formation percentages each year. Thanks

How about a bowls screen where all the bowl games are listed and teams that are being considered or at least the tie-ins ie. Peach Bowl SEC #4 team vs. Big East #2 during the season. And when the bowl teams are selected they are filled in as it happens. And after the game has been played it is entered in the page . This might already be in the game so this might be a waste of my typing but just in case.

- The ability to pay off recruits and risk probation - The ability to withdraw coaching offers - The ability to cut players/withdraw scholarships - More action with walkons and the ability to offer scholarships to them - The ability to designate players who will not suit up for games, thus automatically removing them from depth charts - For the game to give an extra season of eligibility to a player who does not play a down, but wasn't specifically designated redshirt status - The ability to scout recruits during the season, specify weekends for them to make visits to coincide with big games, and at least make initial contact with them if not outright recruiting during the season I'm sure I'll think of a few more before long.

Another small thing: Add the ability to view Team Prestige on a 1-100 scale. It can get frustrating playing with a low-prestige team and not seeing any progress other than a "B" in Prestige ont eh year-end report. I'd like to see that I gained a point or two (or lost a little).

A report in the history section with coach statistics. An HTML card for coaches. Including Position and Class Year on the Player Leaders screen Freshman All-America Team A report in the history section that lists each team's recruiting ranking for each season. A 'Remove committed players from watchlist' button. Modify the dropdown box that lets you filter by recruit interest to 'greater than or equal to'. Instead of filtering to view players who have 7 interest, filter for players who have 7 or better interest.

[QUOTE=SkyDog]NOTE: This isn't the thread to discuss things that would obviously be things that would require re-writes on a level that would only be for BBCF2. (In other words, this isn't the place to bring up in-season recruiting or massive interface changes.) I thought this WOULD, however, be a good opportunity to consolidate ideas that might be feasible for the 1.1 update, or another one in the future. [u][b]THINGS ALREADY MENTIONED BY ARLIE AS PRIORITIES FOR 1.1 [/b][/u] [list] [*]Three injury settings [*]Full-league HTML for online leagues [*]Playoff brackets [/list][u][b] THOUGHTS FROM SKYDOG [/b][/u] [list] [*]Keyboard shortcuts in interface (ie ability to scroll from one player card to the next with the up and down arrows) [*]HTML and E-mail with a list of Bowl matchups [*]Historical Team vs. Team Records [*]E-mail with where they went in the draft. (Rank the top 224 Seniors/Early Declarers, weighted by position....) [*]On the "Recruit Players" screen, have it "remember" the most recent sort data that was used from the last week, last time the screen was viewed, etc. I have to re-select "Recruiting" and "Watch List" every single week. Annoying. [*]Add global settings to have AI automate up to four things: offense depth chart, offense game plan, defense depth chart, defense game plan. I like to tweak my offensive game plan personally each week, but I use the "suggest" button for defense every week. [*]HAVE THE DEPTH CHART LOCKS REMAIN IN PLACE FROM WEEK TO WEEK IF AT ALL POSSIBLE! [*]Full list of recruit class (HTML, formatted something like this: [url="http://fof.sportplanet.gamespy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987715&postcount=65"]http://fof.sportplanet.gamespy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987715&postcount=65[/url]) [*]Global "Suggest" button for training, so that every player on the team could get a suggestion, then the human player could go in and elect to do training for whatever key players he wanted to deal with. [*]Rather than three injury settings, have a 0-100 scale, with 0 being no injuries, 50 being default, and 100 doubling the default setting. [/list]That's all for now, but I'd imagine I'll have more later. Others?[/QUOTE] Great suggestions. I agree on everything.

[QUOTE=Hoos] Modify the dropdown box that lets you filter by recruit interest to 'greater than or equal to'. Instead of filtering to view players who have 7 interest, filter for players who have 7 or better interest.[/QUOTE]Can't believe I forgot to mention that one. Amen!

I know I posted this once but I add this to the growing list here. Ability for commish in a mulitiplayer league to EDIT the coaches poll each week. IE the commish would run his own poll of the human owners, calculate the votes than go into game and edit just the coach poll section to match his leagues wishes. Gives owners more imput into the total rankings. Of course Arlie could go the next step and in mulitiplayer leagues have a place durning the owners weekly activaties to do their COACH POLL voting right in the export and the game calculate this on its own :eek:

All are awesome suggestions, i would add this one that i miss in the PbP log and if possible even in the displayed real time PbP: - Indication fo the players that blitzed in the play, something like (the red text has been added by me): Toledo ball, Q1, 3-9-TOL35 (12:50) 0-0 Offense: Short Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-SE-slants Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Dime, Play: Dime-pass-ZoneBlitz, [color=red]Blitzing: PlayerA, PlayerB [/color] Right now we don't know if a players is blitzing or who is doing it.

I want to see the weather icons match up with what the weather is. Example I have played several games with the weather icon being partly sunny and get in the game and its heavy rain or light rain. I guess it could have been party sunny then start raining at the beginning of the game but it seems they don't show up much.

Just noticed a new problem in the scheduling logic. My first season's conference schedule with Air Force was as follows: vs. San Diego State @ New Mexico vs. Brigham Young @ Utah @ Texas Christian vs. Colorado State @ UNLV vs. Wyoming Second season was: @ Texas Christian vs. Utah @ UNLV vs. New Mexico @ Brigham Young @ Wyoming vs. San Diego State vs. Colorado State As you can see, I played TCU and UNLV on the road both years and SDSU and CSU at home both years. This was with 1.02 installed. Also, the Team Info report needs to include the bowl game on the schedule.

[QUOTE=Huckleberry]Just noticed a new problem in the scheduling logic. My first season's conference schedule with Air Force was as follows: vs. San Diego State @ New Mexico vs. Brigham Young @ Utah @ Texas Christian vs. Colorado State @ UNLV vs. Wyoming Second season was: @ Texas Christian vs. Utah @ UNLV vs. New Mexico @ Brigham Young @ Wyoming vs. San Diego State vs. Colorado State As you can see, I played TCU and UNLV on the road both years and SDSU and CSU at home both years. This was with 1.02 installed. Also, the Team Info report needs to include the bowl game on the schedule.[/QUOTE] This is pretty common in these sims. Scheduling is one of the hardest things to program. In fact the NFL and MLB both build real schedules by hand. TCY was like this too. You would go 5 years in a row playing the same team in one place, then make up for it over the next 5 years. You might figure this to be a bug, but it's more of a known code shortfall with no quick, easy solutions.

Some ideas on the PBP: Except on first down, i think the PBP should more often make reference to the first down marker, and more often the field position rather than the absolute yardage. Something like: "Johnson carries the ball across the 30-yard line and is tackled by Smith. That's enough for a first down!" Near the goal line, this would be even more appropriate. The amount of PBP and the speed at which it unfolds should have some relation to the length of the play. A 1-yard dive up the middle should be a sentence or two; a 30-yard run or a QB scramble should involves more sentences appearing in measured sequence. Some of the plays do this, but i also see a quick "He has a nice gain," then discover that he actually ran 60 yards or so. (This may be beyond the scope intended for this thread; if so, i apologize.) The PBP needs to be assembled in a cut-and-paste method to increase the variety and avoid giving away the results of the play. In some cases, that's been done, but in other cases the results of the play are telegraphed from the beginning. When i see "The RB sees a hole," i know he's going to get good yardage; when it says, "The RB sees daylight ahead," i can be sure that it's 0-3 yards. When i see "The QB is in trouble," he's never been sacked. I envision a series of fill-in-the-blanks that can be pasted together based on the results, something like: "Here's the " + [give/handoff/pitch/toss] + "to " + [RB name] + ". He " + [goes/runs/takes it] + [left/right/up the middle/off tackle/around the right side/around the left side] + [near the/to the/past the/inside the] + [##] + "yard line." Obviously, this can get pretty complicated; assembling the description would require some analysis of the play in order to get it right; but it would be far less stereotyped than mixing entire phrases. This system might yield a little drier PBP than at present, but i don't think that's a disadvantage. Don't get me wrong: I [I]love[/I] "He sees daylight / but darkness falls . . . ." But i'm worried that the more memorable phrases are going to get a little annoying after awhile, like a catchy song or commercial jingle that you've heard just too darned often. Something basic, with only the occasional colorful comment, might head that off. Finally, as some other have noted elsewhere, the more the PBP can tell us how the play actually unfolds (hot routes, etc.), the better we'll be able to understand the game and improve our playcalling.

[QUOTE=DoctorJ]This is pretty common in these sims. Scheduling is one of the hardest things to program. In fact the NFL and MLB both build real schedules by hand. TCY was like this too. You would go 5 years in a row playing the same team in one place, then make up for it over the next 5 years. You might figure this to be a bug, but it's more of a known code shortfall with no quick, easy solutions.[/QUOTE] Seems, to me at least, that it would be pretty simple in a 9-team conference especially. Heck, in any conference. Check to see where you played the team in the last season. Switch the location. Done. In conferences with more than 9 teams, check the schedule to see if you played the team in the last season. If so, switch the location. I suppose that check could be difficult, but I don't understand why. Maybe switching from one season to the next or something. Here's something that is even more problematic: [img]http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/5207/schedule4kq.jpg[/img] This guy had 3 home games and 5 road games in conference play.

Archived