Ideas For 1.1

Nothing too major here, but worth noting, I hope: -- I can't figure out exactly when it happens, but sometimes on the "recruit players" page, my information on funds an scholarships remaining does not update properly... I find myself having to close that page and re-open it to update that information. (I'll keep an eye on this, and if I can pinpoint when it happens and when it doesn't, I'll post it... it's not universal, it might be when I make an offer directly through the player card, rather than the mini version at the bottom of the recruiting page) -- There are a fair number of statistics like yards per carry rushing that might stand to be tidied up a bit, and carried out to the same number of digits. it's more pleasing to see 4.75, 4.60, 5.00, 4.92... then it is to see 4.75, 4.6, 5, 4.92 -- especially when they are presented in columnar form. -- Again with decimal places, there is another issue where some calculations are carried to two decimal places, but the calculation is clearly only to one, and a zero is just being added. I see this, I believe, in box scores -- a player has 40 yards on 3 catches, and is shown with an average of 13.30 -- certainly not a major problem, but an opportunity for tidying. 13.3 is fine, as is 13.33... but 13.30 seems to reveal a clear disconnect of some sort. (And every player has a zero for that last digit in those cases) -- A bit of a personal preference rather than a bug, but having to re-enter all my filters each time I look at the recruiting page is tedious (made more so by the first item listed above). I'd much prefer a "memory" that recalled my last sort and started me there -- I tend to do the exact same sort an awful lot, and that would be a time saver (as the default no-filter is something I never use). -- When selecting players by their level of interest, it would be a great addition to be able to set it for "at least 7" (or something like that) rather than needing to look at the 10, 9, 8, and 7 groups individually. (I see that this has been posted already, let this be one more voice in the chorus)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Allow for multi year contracts for a coach you would like to keep awhile. 2. Don't close out the hiring phase until you get a coach you like. I've had to settle for a coach I would never have hired because during the last week to hire, some other team out bid me and the AI assigned to me the next coach (basically all red dots) on the list at that salary. I should be able to keep bidding until I get a coach I want. 3. I think a bottom tier team should get a $40k bonus for playing the upper tier teams. There is no incentive for my WIU team to play Notre Dame, other than to get my butt kicked. In the real world teams like WIU play LSU for the big bucks to help recruiting and pay for AD expenses. It would be nice to get a 40K bump each time you play a top rated school to get the extra money for better coaches, services and recruiting. 4. I run the option. I'd like to assign a RB2 in the Wishbone, Wing T and Flexbone.

[QUOTE=tdog]Couple of items I would like to see changed. More refining in the budget. I often get down to an extra 5 grand that I can't spend. Could it be possible to use 5,000 increments in some choices rather than just 10 or 15? Some subs, especially Qb, I feel should take over for a series not individual plays during a drive. No I might be jumping the gun here because I sim most of my games. But I feel that a start of a series should be the way to go on this. Refining of the time to go for 2. I know this must be difficult to program but I see too many instances early in games where the AI is trying for two. Maybe the logic could could be changed to later in the game. All in all a great game! Thanks for the support from all.[/QUOTE] Make it increments of $5k or $10k on everything, not $15k, so you can spend it all.

Sim interface adjustment suggestion. Remove the scrolling in the "Sim Week" and replace it with static pages of games. Perhaps start with a page called "Top 25" and have all the big game matchups played out. Have a built-in pause or a "Sim Next" button and allow the screen to refresh with the next set of games after the first set is resolved, perhaps by conference. That way you can actually see the scores of the games, analyze them a bit and see how they wins and losses are relevant to other games in the conference (or polls). My be a good change that doesn't take too much effort (hopefully).

I know my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but I think "down and distance" on the stadium graphic is rather small. Could it possibly be made larger or more prominent? Part of the problem could be that I use a resolution of 1280x1024. (1024x768 looks poor on my LCD monitor, unfortunately.)

[QUOTE=pstrickert]I know my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but I think "down and distance" on the stadium graphic is rather small. Could it possibly be made larger or more prominent? Part of the problem could be that I use a resolution of 1280x1024. (1024x768 looks poor on my LCD monitor, unfortunately.)[/QUOTE] Hmmmm that something I may have to mess with. I run the same configuration.

Well, I haven't had much time this week to mess around with BBCF, but I did try changing the resolution of my monitor to 1024x768. That made the screen a bit easier on the eyes. I'm still hoping for the addition of [U]optional[/U] font colors, but I have no idea which one would work better (if any) and if it's even a patchable issue (vs a full blown rewrite).

[QUOTE=Dutch]Well, I haven't had much time this week to mess around with BBCF, but I did try changing the resolution of my monitor to 1024x768. That made the screen a bit easier on the eyes. I'm still hoping for the addition of [u]optional[/u] font colors, but I have no idea which one would work better (if any) and if it's even a patchable issue (vs a full blown rewrite).[/QUOTE]Dutch: How old are you? I ask because I'm beginning to wonder if it is more of a function of onscreen print in the game being too small for some of us hitting late 30's and up. My brother, who is 50, has had to switch to a 21-inch monitor and large fonts for most applications.

I'm 34 and I'm sure that plays a factor. But I stare at a computer screen almost all day at work (which probably doesn't help) and then at home for a good while as well and nothing has bothered me as much as BBCF's bright white font on the dark background. I think the game looks great, it just causes eye strain for me after 10 or 15 minutes.

[QUOTE=Dutch]I'm 34 and I'm sure that plays a factor. But I stare at a computer screen almost all day at work (which probably doesn't help) and then at home for a good while as well and nothing has bothered me as much as BBCF's bright white font on the dark background. I think the game looks great, it just causes eye strain for me after 10 or 15 minutes.[/QUOTE]Same here. I've never had a game cause eye strain like BBCF does, and I stare at a computer screen for a good while, too. I don't have any other dark screen/bright white font games, so I can't really do a control, but it seems like the font size is very small, too. I really hope this is fixable, because it really hampers my ability to enjoy the game as much as I'd like.

I'd like to see some more choices in creating a coach when we first create a league. Right now all we can do is enter a name, then the CPU chooses age and ability. How about some more control over age and ability when we first create him? Also (and this may have been answered already somewhere else so bear with me) in reguards to the player editor, will we be able to edit attributes like height, weight, class level, High Scool , GPA, skills, etc. in addition to editing the player's name?

I'll throw my suggestions into this, I guess. Sorry if they repeat others. There are some I don't really suggest toward 1.1, but maybe down the road. -Maybe this happens, but I've never seen a coach (head or assistant) go to the pro ranks or even have him decide to not go to the pro ranks through an e-mail. Definitely gives him some extra prestige. Obviously, the offer couldn't go to the user, but for a coach like Irving Seau of Texas...99-22, only lost one bowl game, has won two Big Twelve titles and a national championship, been to 4 GDCS games in his nine years and 10-0 this year thus far...I would think he would be a coach the pro ranks would love to have. I know some coordinators go to try to coach and so forth, but another worry is if you have a Norm Chow, he'll eventually go to the pro ranks. -I like the idea of seeing a draft. It could be just your players and where they were selected if that was easier. The year previous, I graduated a four-year starter at QB (who won a national title), a running back with two 1000 yard years, a all-purpose receiver, and saw another running back who also had two 1000 yard years declare early. It sucked to try to rebuild my offense, but I definitely would have liked to see where they went. -Definitely need a records page ala TCY. That was one of my favorite parts of TCY because after 30 years, you start to look at players and think "I've never had a player like X since Y graduated" or whatever. Also being able to go back and look at award winners is fun. When I played TCY, I'd always play as one of the local teams (modified so it could be my school, which is D I-AA) and as a smaller team, if I had an all-american player, I'd always look back to see when my last All-American was. This could also be established by having a history page that you can look at who you've had as a first-teamer nationally and so forth. -I'd like to see the player awards in the player card like it is in the HTML card. -Could there be an option to also see coaches' awards. Like on the staff page, have a drop down menu (ala the player card) where you can see his record or his awards, if any. -Playbook suggestions. More kicking options (surprise onside, squib, pooch punt, punt away from a good returner, punk block (with little blocking in return and a possible increase to running into the kicker penalties). On offense, I'd like to see more trick plays. HB option pass, for instance. Double reverse would be a nice misdirection, too. After watching the Rose Bowl, Texas uses a shotgun formation with two backs. I think that could be a nice addition. -I'd like to see an option down the road for players defensive players to play a little on offense. Maybe have a prequisite for it...like 4 star players and only make it cornerbacks, but if you have a special corner with great speed and agility (say, Deion Sanders), I think you'd try to get him on the field more. If you're low on receivers (I seem to be every year), I usually try to use TE's and RB's as receivers, but I'd rather have a homerun threat even if he gets on the field maybe two or three times as a receiver a game. -In Goal line situations, be able to use a tackle or guard as a third tight end. The only thing is that in college football, they're not eligable to also catch the pass so this is really doubtful to bring into practice. -When recruiting, maybe I've missed it, but can there be an option to take how the players you've already put on your watch list? Also, for when a player commits to ANOTHER school, I'd like there to be a button to take him off my watch list. Right now, early in recruiting. I want to keep my recruits on the list, but others don't help me. -I'd like to also be able to sort by grades/test score. I try to stay away from academic questions unless they have a high interest in my school and are a five-star type player...and not too dumb. Other than that, I typically won't go after anyone who doesn't have a 2.4 GPA...sometimes, 2.3 if I'm starving for talent. -After recruiting, I'd like to see an e-mail detailing the recruitment ranks. Meaning, if I'm tenth, I want to see what nine schools are in front of me. You can do this manually, but I'd still like to see the option. -If a player doesn't play a down, he should not use a year of eligability. -The idea given that there should be money for bottom feeders playing in a bigger team's stadium is a good one. Why would Duke, a team that continually loses, go to Texas or USC otherwise? -Not sure how hard this is, but I'd like to see win/loss streaks continue into the next year. In my game, I know Texas has won at least their last 25 games and their streak could get really impressive if they repeat as champs. -The Freshman All-American team was a good suggestion, too. I guess that's about all I have...kinda long list and in no way do I think all of them are needed.

ideas 1.1 1.Change the way the you start out as head coach from not having to retire when you reach a certain age. 2. When you Recruit for your team it should be easier to bring in new recuits. 3. The Ability to print out a stats report on recruits during the regular season.

[QUOTE=scoman]1 ability to vote in coaches poll. [/QUOTE] YES YES YES As a commish of a mulitiplayer league this is my #1 wish, I go the next step and ask for individual coaches vote to be included in the teams weekly export. Do this and I give Arlie a big sloppy kiss :D

I know we can examine the effectiveness of each offensive/defensive formation, as well as each particular type of play (attempts, average, TD, etc.). But we can only do so one formation/play at a time. Will it ever be possible to print a report that offers all of this information in a single page or two? That would make it much easier to examine what works and what doesn't.

[QUOTE=BigDawg] Do this and I give Arlie a big sloppy kiss :D[/QUOTE] Which is why Arlie won't be putting it in. ;) This would be a nice feature, both for offline, but especially online leagues. Edit: On the subject of punts, post 1.4, has anyone yet seen a blocked punt happen? Don't think I've ever seen one, plenty of fg blocks, but not punts.

Just so y'all know, I compiled a bunch of the ideas in this thread (and in others) and sent the following big ol' list to Arlie a few moments ago: [center][b][u][color=blue][font=Arial]BOWL BOUND COLLEGE FOOTBALL[/font][/color][/u][/b] [/center] [center][b][u][font=Arial] [/font][/u][/b] [/center] [center][b][u][font=Arial]IDEAS FOR 1.1 AND BEYOND[/font][/u][/b] [/center] [center][b][u][font=Arial] [/font][/u][/b] [/center] [center][b][u][color=blue][font=Arial]INTERFACE[/font][/color][/u][/b][b][u][font=Arial][/font][/u][/b] [/center] [list] [*][font=Arial]Keyboard shortcuts in interface (ie ability to scroll from one player card to the next and move through long players lists in recruiting, etc., with the up and down arrows)[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]HAVE THE DEPTH CHART LOCKS REMAIN IN PLACE FROM WEEK TO WEEK IF AT ALL POSSIBLE![b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]HIGHLIGHT, HIGHLIGHT, HIGHLIGHT! On each and every large report, whether it is stats, or rankings, or All Conference teams, whatever, players on my team (or my team as a whole, if it is a team report) should be highlighted in color.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Several folks (all of us in the “older” end of the text sim crowd) have identified the “tired eyes” issue. It looks like the problem is that the white characters are too bright. If it would be too much work to give a “dark-letters-on-light-background” option, how about “softening” the brightness of the light text in the interface? Let me say it clearly: I have never, ever, ever played a game that causes the amount of eye strain and discomfort that BBCF does. Never. I really feel like something needs to be done here. (Here’s another comment on the same thing: [url="showpost.php?p=75249&postcount=59"]http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75249&postcount=59[/url] )[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Would it be feasible to have a "Select all" button to “mass scout” a screen? Specifically, the first week of the recruiting stage can become a whole lot of repetitive clicking. For example, I scout every in-state player with 7 or better interest. If I could select all of the guys in that list by using the Windows standard method of selecting the top guy in the list, and shift-clicking on the bottom guy, then hit the “Scout” button, that would save a *TON* of time and mindless clicking.[/font] [*][font=Arial]Please, please, please, add the ability in recruiting filters to look at “7 interest or greater” or ”3 stars or greater” rather than just looking. The Rivals.com recruiting page just has one button when doing a search that you click: “or better,” so if you select 4 stars and click the “or better” button, you’ll see all four and 5 star players. [b](NOTE: In looking through the “ideas for 1.1 thread,” this seems to be THE most-echoed request.)[/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Including Position and Class Year on the Player Leaders screen.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]A 'Remove committed players from watchlist' button.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]I'd like a "Pitch" column on the Watch List screen. This will enable us to see which recruits we still haven't selected a recruiting pitch for quickly and easily.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]In scheduling, allow a sort on how interested teams are regarding playing at your place.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]On the Team Information report, show all the games played, i.e. bowl and league championship games. It doesn't show the conference championship or the bowl games we have played in.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]There are a fair number of statistics like yards per carry rushing that might stand to be tidied up a bit, and carried out to the same number of digits. it's more pleasing to see 4.75, 4.60, 5.00, 4.92... then it is to see 4.75, 4.6, 5, 4.92 -- especially when they are presented in columnar form.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Adaptability player card tweak as mentioned here: [url]http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80345&postcount=20[/url][b][/b][/font] [/list] [center][b][u][font=Arial] [/font][/u][/b] [/center] [center][b][u][color=blue][font=Arial]E-MAIL/REPORTING[/font][/color][/u][/b][b][u][font=Arial][/font][/u][/b] [/center] [list] [*][font=Arial]HTML and E-mail with a list of Bowl matchups[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Historical Team vs. Team Records[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]End-of-season E-mail like FBCB with where all your seniors were projected to go in the draft. (Rank the top 224 Seniors/Early Declarers, weighted by position....) You’d have three options for Rounds 2-7 (early, middle, late) and a specific slot projection for the 1st round. (“ILB Joe Jones is projected to go undrafted. RB Johnny Smith is projected to go late in the 2nd round. OG Larry Thompson is projected to go in the 20th spot in the first round.”)[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]On player cards for walk-ons, rather than “not available” for their rankings, put “unranked”—which is what 99.99% of walk-ons really are.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Full list of recruit class (HTML, formatted something like this: [url="http://fof.sportplanet.gamespy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=987715&postcount=65"]http://fof.sportplanet.gamespy.com/...15&postcount=65[/url])[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Recruit rankings report, not just my team, but how every team did. Make it also available via HTML.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]How about a bowls screen where all the bowl games are listed and teams that are being considered or at least the tie-ins ie. Peach Bowl SEC #4 team vs. Big East #2 during the season? And when the bowl teams are selected they are filled in as it happens. After the game has been played the score is entered in the page.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Freshman All-America Team.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]A report in the history section that lists each team's recruiting ranking and Prestige for each season.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Indication of the players that blitzed in the play, something like: Toledo ball, Q1, 3-9-TOL35 (12:50) 0-0 Offense: Short Pass, Set: Shotgun, Play: SG-SE-slants Defense: Stop Pass, Set: Dime, Play: Dime-pass-ZoneBlitz, [color=red]Blitzing: PlayerA, PlayerB[/color][b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]An e-mail or other in game event prompted by winning a championship. As it is there's no feedback from the athletic director or anyone when you win a conference championship, for example.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Would like to see a summary report that shows the current morale of players. To check morale now, have to open up and scan 75 player cards in which the advance buttons at the top of the page don't work. That means opening and closing 75 screens. At least have an E Mail which says the following players are FRUSTRATED. Then you could go an concentrate on those 3-5 players.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]List streaks for teams, and make ‘em sortable: longest postseason streak, and longest winning/losing streak.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]On the final recruit signings printout, please reduce to single spacing for the lines all related to the same player. The current format makes the report two or three pages when printed out. This could be reduced to one page for most classes with this change.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]An e-mail telling us when a player's injury status has changed. For example, when players are totally healed, or now "probable" instead of "questionable."[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Be able to print the pregame matchup screen to HTML. This would be HUGE for dynasty reports.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]I know we can examine the effectiveness of each offensive/defensive formation, as well as each particular type of play (attempts, average, TD, etc.). But we can only do so one formation/play at a time. Would it be possible to print a report that offers all of this information in a single page or two? That would make it much easier to examine what works and what doesn't.[b][/b][/font] [/list] [center][b][u][font=Arial] [/font][/u][/b] [/center] [center][b][u][font=Arial] [/font][/u][/b] [/center] [center][b][u][font=Arial] [/font][/u][/b] [/center] [center][b][u][color=blue][font=Arial]GAMEPLAY[/font][/color][/u][/b][b][u][font=Arial][/font][/u][/b] [/center] [list] [*][font=Arial]Slight performance bonus for remaining with same coordinator, with bonus no longer increasing after 5 years. (At that point, every player in the system knows how he does things.)[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Add “Game Options” to have AI automate up to four things: offense depth chart, offense game plan, defense depth chart, defense game plan. I like to tweak my offensive game plan personally each week, but I use the "suggest" button for defense every week. Rather than just “Gameplan” on staff delegation, list “Offensive Gameplan” and “Defensive Gameplan.” Same for “Roster and Depth Chart.”[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Can you set it to allow the offensive/defensive strategy to remain set from year to year, and noly change to the assistant coaches recommendation if you push the suggest button. It is a minor hassle to reset all of the formation percentages each year.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Automatic red-shirting for guys who are eligible for redshirting and don’t play a single down all year (even if they aren’t given the official tag.)[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]It would be nice to see SOME incentive for a Louisiana Somethingoranother to play at a UGA, Texas, etc. It definitely should help increase the budget for the following year (big payday), and probably should provide a slight boost to player development due to competition (FBCB does both of these). Right now, there’s no reason whatsoever for small schools to play against big schools. Maybe a sliding scale budget bonus based on prestige difference of road opponents?[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Further piggybacking on the last item, it would be nice if budget were tied more to total home AND road attendance from the previous year.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Add the ability for in-season created walk-ons to fill a roster. Specifically, if I only have three centers, and want to red-shirt one, I should be able to do so, and have the game generate a walk-on scrub to fill that roster slot. Similarly, if someone gets injured, I shouldn’t have to un-redshirt someone to fill that roster spot.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]If there is any way to start a new game at the coach hiring phase, or at LEAST to “Auto-sim x seasons, stopping at coach hiring,” that would be very, very nice.[/font] [*][font=Arial]Set budget to increments of $5K or $10K on everything, so it can all be spent. Far too often, I have $5K left over.[/font] [*][font=Arial]Also on budget: ALLOW US TO SPEND ZERO DOLLARS OUTSIDE OF THE REGION!!! When I have 20-25K to spend each week on recruiting, I don’t do a single thing outside of my own Region. I just can’t afford it. However, I have to waste $60K by spending $15K each on the other regions. Similarly, allow zero dollars for recruits of a certain position. Last year, when UGA had Brown/Ware/Lumpkin all about to be sophomores, they didn’t do any recruiting whatsoever at RB. None. They got a walk-on roster filler to come be a tackling dummy, but that’s it.[/font] [/list] [font=Arial] [/font] [center][b][u][color=blue][font=Arial]BUG FIXES/TWEAKS/OTHER ISSUES[/font][/color][/u][/b][b][u][font=Arial][/font][/u][/b] [/center] [b][u][font=Arial] [/font][/u][/b] [list] [*][font=Arial]“Clear coaching stats” button that would be used after pre-simming for history.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]FG% is starting out good, but then once recruited players fill rosters, it gets a little too high again: ranging in the 70-72% area most of the time, as opposed to the real-life 67.6%.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]A few players are wayyyyyy too old (as in I have a 33-year-old on my team.) Also, in general, the guys are starting out too old. In real life, you’ll see a few guys play their first snap in college at age 17, and quite a few at age 18. Most true freshman should be 18, a smaller number 19, and a TINY number 20.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]Players who were position-switched are listed as their NEW position on the card for their high school ranking, rather than their old one. In other words, if I recruit the #75 QB in the nation, and move him to RB, the card should say that he was the #75 QB. Now, it says he was the #75 RB.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]When QB’s don’t play 100% of the game, have them come in and out based on possessions, rather than total plays. In other words, if my QB is set to play 80% of the time, there should be a 100% chance that he’ll play on the first possession, obviously, but then around a 25% chance on each subsequent possession that the backup will play that entire possession.[b][/b][/font] [*][font=Arial]More tweaking of the transfer process. I’m still seeing complaints about it. Basically, people get upset when their team gets hampered by an intentionally-unrealistically-overaggressive transfer algorithm.[b][/b][/font] [/list]

A few changes Id like to see that aren't mentioned. Emails: Once you open an email, tabs to flip through all your emails. Id also like the team tabs at the bottom of the screen to scroll as you progress through the season, perhaps the BYEs listed as blank just so I don't waste my time game planning. Id like a rework of the menus and screens. Some are a separate screens for no reason (i.e. scouting service). Maybe a player match up/comparison option. ie comparing WRs to put a playmaker as #1 over a possession check down receiver.

Archived