Streaming TEW

Astil

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you pronounce "Giedroyc"? I mean, I have no idea how it's supposed to be pronounced so I pronounce it like geed-royk (if that makes sense). I also chuckle at Frederique's pronounciation here... pretty sure it's meant to sound more like Enrique (of Iglesias fame) than Fredreek. :p

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about poor Fredereek. :p I mean, I can see where it came from (the word pique, probably), but that's a French word, and Frederique's a Spanish name. So... Frederee-kay (although in my experience there isn't usually that first r). Ironically there's a Spanish surname Pique, which is pronounced the Spanish way (obviously) to confuse matters.

Giedroyc is 'ged-roych' (sometimes with a small alteration to the e to make it somewhere between than and gyed-ryoch). As in comedienne Mel. It's a Russian name.

But Frehley and Bumfhole confuse me. I mean, Frehly can't just be Freely, because there's an H there. But Freh-lee sounds ridiculous. Fray-lee perhaps? And Bumfhole... I keep wanting to say Bum-foley. But... meh.

Except Frederique's not a Spanish name, it's a French name based on the German "Frederick." "Federico" would be the name in Spanish.

As for Jack Giedroyc, the UK game show host pronounces her name "Ged-roych."

Also it's apparently "Fray-lee" according to most of what I saw on google.

"Bumfhole" is not a real name so it's anybody's guess how it should be said- over half the google results link back to this board.

So ged-roych... got to try to remember that one, though I don't think I've even seen the comedian in question. A quick google search doesn't stir up any memories of funniness, so she's either not good enough to be remembered or I just haven't seen her before. :p

Frederique is totally meant to be a Spanish sounding name, the Antonio Garcia after it is a dead giveaway. As is the kayfabe sibling relationship with Ana Garcia, who makes things a bit more complicated yet with her history. But it's definitely meant to be Spanish, so D-Koiso's "Frederee-kay" is the way I've always pronounced his name... making him 11 syllables long. No wonder I just shorten it to Freddy when I'm thinkin it. :p

And Marc DuBois is French-Canadian, so he's definitely a "doo-bwah" rather than "do-boys", but that's a surname that would vary depending on the origins of where the person with is from.

Anywho, I want more Astil SWF! And I wanna hear him talking about the show as it runs through, doing the voices of everyone on the commentary team for funsies. And if he can cut a Big Smack Scott promo... well, the universe would be happy then. :)

Except Frederique's not a Spanish name, it's a French name based on the German "Frederick." "Federico" would be the name in Spanish.

Correct, of course, except for...

Frederique is totally meant to be a Spanish sounding name, the Antonio Garcia after it is a dead giveaway.

... that, which is what I was getting at. Fredereek just doesn't do it for me. :p Plus it kinda makes him sound smelly. If he was Frederique LaGrenier, or Frederique DuBois, then maybe. (Plus, then he'd actually be smelly anywOOOH CONTROVERSIAL).

Frehley is pronounced "Free-Lee", as in Ace Frehley of KISS.

Ah. Fair enough. I was aware of Ace Frehley but never heard it said. I went for Fray-lee based on, as jhd said, the comet.

Giedroyc is "Ged-Roych" as D-Lyrium said, although it's Lithuanian, not Russian.

Basically the same place.

¬_¬ ¬_¬

Disclaimers: I currently live in France temporarily, love it here and it's only smelly in July/August. Coincidentally I also have a Lithuanian manager at work, pleasegoddon'thurtme.

For a long time I had thought the same thing about Frehley as you D-Koiso, but conversations with a variety of rock loving types taught me I was wrong.

I was worryingly wrong about Force though... gonna have toadjust my brain to get my head around that because I'd always thought it was pronounced JIIIIIIIM FOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRCCCEEEEEE! :p

I was worryingly wrong about Force though... gonna have to adjust my brain to get my head around that because I'd always thought it was pronounced JIIIIIIIM FOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRCCCEEEEEE! :p

I'd assume Ryland was pulling our collective leg on that one. Or he really, really hates the "BUY MY MERCHANDISE!" stuff and is being spiteful :p

I'm probably still going to pronounce all the names wrong...

I'll likely do promos just by accident as I talk, but if you want me to act out Scott yelling 'get my bags!' to Laramee I can do that.

If Big Smack Scott promos, I won't riot! :p

Just be glad you aren't trying to run any of the Japanese promotions. As much as I try to say the names in my head I can't imagine getting many of them right in any consistent manner. And of all the North American promotions the SWF probably has more difficult to pronounce/confusing names than any other. This thread is being educational in that regard, which is always good. Now I know how to say Jack Giedroyc's name. :)

I used to always say ee-zen for the Eisen's too... had that fixed when The Two reminded me about Eisenhower. Helping is good. :)

Yeah, going through the rosters, SWF is a bitch for names. Kinda ironic when you think about it.

Mind you... Davey Celtic. The group of nations/languages/cultures, or the football team? :p He comes from Glasgow, so it could literally go either way. I've always gone for the group of nations (hard c) due to the iffyness surrounding real life non-wrestling-things existing in the Cornellverse.

If Big Smack Scott promos, I won't riot! :p

Just be glad you aren't trying to run any of the Japanese promotions. As much as I try to say the names in my head I can't imagine getting many of them right in any consistent manner. And of all the North American promotions the SWF probably has more difficult to pronounce/confusing names than any other. This thread is being educational in that regard, which is always good. Now I know how to say Jack Giedroyc's name. :)

I used to always say ee-zen for the Eisen's too... had that fixed when The Two reminded me about Eisenhower. Helping is good. :)

I am playing a game with WLW so you are right in the fact the names are really hard to pronounce. I would say that my pronunciations of the names are probably way off. This is the first time I have ever played a game with a japanese promotion and I am having a lot of fun with it. Plus it gives me something to do since I am not ready to pick up my NOTBPW game again just yet.

Also good job on this Astil, it is kind of boring in a sense that I would rather play TEW than watch someone play it but ithese videos could be good to use as a tutorial if someone new has no idea what they are doing.

just watched this another good vid, you put alot more effort into your booking than I do

I do? Doesn't feel like effort tbh, just going with the flow of the initial storylines.

I wish I could put that little effort into things myself. I tend to obsess with trying to come up with ways to use everyone (not a pre-show battle royale if I can avoid them:p) and frequently plot some strands of thought out way in advance. My game notes tend to take a while to update and I put a lot of thought into things that often I never use. Which is really annoying cos that's why so many of my games don't tend to last very long. :(

Wish I could book so quickly... I run less segments and it probably takes me almost twice as long to run a week as you've taken cos I always look around at things when I'm playing, which is another habit of mine I wish I could kick.

I wish I could put that little effort into things myself. I tend to obsess with trying to come up with ways to use everyone (not a pre-show battle royale if I can avoid them:p) and frequently plot some strands of thought out way in advance. My game notes tend to take a while to update and I put a lot of thought into things that often I never use. Which is really annoying cos that's why so many of my games don't tend to last very long. :(

Wish I could book so quickly... I run less segments and it probably takes me almost twice as long to run a week as you've taken cos I always look around at things when I'm playing, which is another habit of mine I wish I could kick.

ditto, word for word.

This thread has given me the idea of possibly have a heel Giedroyc getting angry at anyone who mispronounces his surname.

Also, is there really supposed to be a kayfabe sibling relationship between Ana Garcia and F.A.G?

Streaming LIVE tonight at 11:00 PM EST / 6:00 AM GMT. Watch me power forward with Kurt Laramee's push, possibly put Big Smack Scott in development and move Rich Money out of the Bruce vs. Eisen main story!

Also, if you're going to be around and if you want to chat with me, I suggest making a justin.tv or twitch.tv account. It's free and pretty quick :)

ditto, word for word.

This thread has given me the idea of possibly have a heel Giedroyc getting angry at anyone who mispronounces his surname.

Also, is there really supposed to be a kayfabe sibling relationship between Ana Garcia and F.A.G?

I've played so many SWF games and I KNOW it to be true, but it isn't mentioned in their bios any more. I know it was mentioned in one though, but was never very important for them... must've been TEW08... otherwise I imagined it for storyline purposes at some point and I've integrated into my brain more than I should have...

Streaming LIVE tonight at 11:00 PM EST / 6:00 AM GMT. Watch me power forward with Kurt Laramee's push, possibly put Big Smack Scott in development and move Rich Money out of the Bruce vs. Eisen main story!

I wish I was awake for some of these, I'd love to give you abuse from the chatoroom like a real smark should be doing. :p

I've played so many SWF games and I KNOW it to be true, but it isn't mentioned in their bios any more. I know it was mentioned in one though, but was never very important for them... must've been TEW08... otherwise I imagined it for storyline purposes at some point and I've integrated into my brain more than I should have...

I wish I was awake for some of these, I'd love to give you abuse from the chatoroom like a real smark should be doing. :p

When do you wake up? I could do a morning show here one day.

When do you wake up? I could do a morning show here one day.

Varies from day to day... I tend to go to bed late so I don't wake up til late, it really wouldn't be worth your while. Instead, I'll try to be on for any shows you might hold earlier... like on weekends or something. And if that doesn't work, I'll just keep watching and spamming this thread. :)

Archived