Beyond The Mat: The Sam Keith Story

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss279/serotonin187/BTM.jpg

Well that was easy then expected but I’d like to think Tommy knew where I was coming from. The year was 2010 and I wasn’t getting any younger, I hate to say it but TCW wasn’t exactly riding a giant wave of momentum following the failure of the Syndicate storyline and I was ready to have a rest. I’d wrestling all over the world since 1979 and won World Championships in companies from Japan to Mexico.

I exited TCW in January following Malice in Wonderland after Tommy graciously let me beat him, following the match I grabbed a mic from ringside and emotionally said my goodbye to the crowd. Walking back up the ramp I could feel my throat starting to tighten, as I entered the locker room I was greeted with a rapturous round of applause, handshakes, hugs and kisses. That alone was nearly enough for me to say F*** it and continue wrestling, but I knew that’d be stupid.

The following months anyway from wrestling were definitely weird, not catching red eye flights or hopping on tour buses in the early hours of morning to get to the next show. In all honesty I frickin’ missed it but at the same time spending time with my family was great.

The only real thing I hated about being a retired wrestler is all the invites to these legend conventions I get, don’t get me wrong it’s great to meet and chat with the fans and all that. I’d only between to a couple of these events since January. I don’t know what persuaded me to go to the last one I went too but for some reason I did and I’m glad I did.

Sat there in a small high school gym in New York City with some great wrestlers including Crippler Ray Kingman, The Lords of War Agony and Pain, Anne Stardust and Eric Tyler. Also there was a man known as Derek Bradford or more commonly known as The Stomper. He founded New York City Wrestling 1988. But since the turn of the century and the continuous growth of CZCW, TCW and USPW had really seen NYCW fall on hard times financially, the company could barely afford to run a show a month so chances of keeping the company alive looked slim.

Over the next couple of days I’d dwelled on the idea of maybe purchasing NYCW from Derek, so I sat the family down and declared my intentions. Obviously Greg and Matty loved the idea the wife not so much but she knew how much I loved and missed this business. I contacted Derek the next day and told him what I’d got planned, he seemed reluctant to even sell the company at first but he lighted to the idea after I let him know NYCW would be in safe hands.

I travelled up to New York city the following week to finalise the deal, walking into Derek’s office knowing I was about to purchase a wrestling promotion created quite a few emotions but mostly nervousness and excitement.

It took a while to set in but I walked out that day as the new owner of New York City Wrestling. And boy had I got some major plans.

I really like the idea of Sam Keith taking over NYCW. If the Stomper is to give away HIS company to an 'outsider' then it would come as NO shock that he would do so with Keith. Everything about his style speaks to the company's product and I could certainly see him taking NYCW to new heights. Possibly a small popularity bump given that they've just signed on a true LEGEND of the sport?

Either way, this looks to be a really interesting read.

Best of luck going forward.

Nice set up and woooooo! a NYCW dynasty! WOOO! I say.

Thank you very much, I'm going to enjoy this dynasty and I hope you will too.

I really like the idea of Sam Keith taking over NYCW. If the Stomper is to give away HIS company to an 'outsider' then it would come as NO shock that he would do so with Keith. Everything about his style speaks to the company's product and I could certainly see him taking NYCW to new heights. Possibly a small popularity bump given that they've just signed on a true LEGEND of the sport?

Either way, this looks to be a really interesting read.

Best of luck going forward.

Thanks man, I really do hope he will be able to take them to new heights, it's about time NYCW got a boost.

<p></p><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;">

</div></div></div></div></div><div style="text-align:center;"><span>http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss279/serotonin187/BTM.jpg</span><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;">

</div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

I’d decided that NYCW would sit out the remainder of the year, partially because some of the roster walked out of the company on hearing I’d taken over from Derek which I could understand I guess. I mean the company had pretty much stayed the same since its inception in the eighties.</span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

Gone are some of the old guard including the Masked Mauler, Honest Frank. Whilst younger talent Animal Harker and the New York Doll have also left the company. Since I took over Greg and Matty both keep asking me if I’m going to bring them in, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to bring them in but Matt was tied up in a development deal with SWF and currently wrestling for RIPW whilst Greg was pulling in double duty wrestling for GCG and MPWF. I told them if they can get out of those contracts I’d happily bring them to NYCW.</span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

I knew for NYCW to get any sort of fan base outside of New York City we could do with a TV deal, don’t get me wrong its hard enough for the big companies to get TV deal sometimes so for us it was going to be extremely difficult but I got speaking to the president of a small Syndicate TV station out here in the Tri-State, long story short NYCW Empire Wrestling debuts on Tri-State Syndication TV in March 2011.</span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';"> </span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><span style="font-family:'Book Antiqua';">

</span></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;">

</div></div></div></div></div></div><p></p><p></p><p></p><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;"><div style="margin-left:25px;">

</div></div></div></div></div>

Seems like a very interesting diary. I'd like to see whether you're going to get rid of most of the older talent and go on a hiring spree for guys 19-33 or whether you're gonna keep or put to frequent use the old talent. Also, did you use the editor and set the starting point at March 2011 or did you make a new game and THEN skip to March?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="CA18" data-cite="CA18" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33297" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Seems like a very interesting diary. I'd like to see whether you're going to get rid of most of the older talent and go on a hiring spree for guys 19-33 or whether you're gonna keep or put to frequent use the old talent. Also, did you use the editor and set the starting point at March 2011 or did you make a new game and THEN skip to March?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I used the editor and changed the start to feburary 2011 so it gave me a month to organise the roster there's definitely a good mixture of the old and young talent to be used for the forseeable future.</p>

<p>You can't go wrong with an old vs. young feud. It'll be interesting to see who you fill the open slots with. NYCW is very old school and i doubt you'll change it all that much. I don't see any high fliers but i could see some guys with strong flying skills come in. More Ricky Steamboat in style than some spot monkey.</p><p> </p><p>

A mass Exodus gives you a lot of freedom to go where you want. I think it'll very interesting. Can't wait.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="serotonin187" data-cite="serotonin187" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33297" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Just a quick request does anybody have the NYCW logo with a clear background, would be massive help if i could get it.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> <span>http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7392/nycw.gif</span></p><p> </p><p> That do?</p>

You can't go wrong with an old vs. young feud. It'll be interesting to see who you fill the open slots with. NYCW is very old school and i doubt you'll change it all that much. I don't see any high fliers but i could see some guys with strong flying skills come in. More Ricky Steamboat in style than some spot monkey.

A mass Exodus gives you a lot of freedom to go where you want. I think it'll very interesting. Can't wait.

There definitely be some high flyers coming in, I dont know if I'll do a old guard versus the next generation it might happen later down the line but at the minute it's not in my plans.

Very cool idea, will stay tuned.

Thanks man hopefully you'll enjoy it.

The preview for the first show some be up some time today if i get chance to finish typing it.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss279/serotonin187/NYCWEmpire.jpg

Following the Sam Keith revolution at New York City Wrestling they prepare for their first ever TV episode of Empire Wrestling. Since the take over by Keith there’s been lots of incomings and outgoings within the company. There seems to be a buzz about the place as they look forward to showcasing their talents to a TV audience. In tag team action The Ring Generals will be facing of against the debuting Samoan Destruction Inc.. Whilst Sammy the Shark defends his NYCW Tri-State Regional Title against a mystery opponent. Rick Sanders takes on son of Sam Matthew Keith in singles action. Also in tag team action “the Dragon” Mikey James and Marc Speed go toe to toe with the “Remarkable” Steve Flash and “The Natural” Eddie Howard. And in the main event of the evening Black Hat Bailey will do battle with debuting Enygma…Yes that’s right the debuting Enygma.

Tune in to the explosive first episode of NYCW Empire Wrestling on Tri-State Syndication channel 3.

Quick Picks

Samoan Destruction Inc. vs. The Ring Generals

NYCW Tri-State Regional Title Match

Sammy The Shark© vs. ???

Matthew Keith vs. Rick Sanders

Mikey James & Marc Speed vs. Eddie Howard & Steve Flash

Black Hat Bailey vs. Enygma

Sammy The Shark© vs. ???

Sammy The Shark© vs. ???

Really like the back story and good to see another NYCW diary on the boards. Interesting to see where Keith can take the promotion. Good luck with this one!

The much better team. Use them while you can, Samoan Machine will be signed to a written with BHOTWG soon.

Sammy The Shark© vs. ???

Hmm Mystery Opponent rule or the no dropping titles on the first show rule. Gonna go with Mystery Opponent rule.

So much better

I am a Steve Flash mark. And he'd better be coming out to Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum

Enygma is so much more over the Bailey.

First of all a massive thank you to all those that have made predictions so far. I believe it's the most predictions I've had one of my diaries, so it's definitely encouraging.

The first episode of Empire Wrestling should be up in next couple of days probably monday by the latest. so plenty of time to get those last minute predictions in.

Archived