New York City Wrestling: Old School Lives On

NYCW Broadway Boogie

Live to DVD from The Ministry

Saturday, Week 4, April 2010

Audience: 849

Pre-Show/DVD Extras

The Atlantic Connection vs. Urban Insects

Urban Insects are the new team of The New York Doll and Ant-Man; they’re largely a new jobber team but unlike the Connection there’s a reasonable chance they’ll be up for a push down the line. In any case this was a chance for them to make a strong(ish) start against the only team further down the totem pole than them, so whilst it was a poor match I’m inclined to overlook it as a learning experience. The simple truth is that three of these guys are just plain boring in the ring- sure, Ant-Man has the charisma and star quality to interest the fans, but when he starts wrestling they turn off pretty quickly. The Connection are very much the same, only without the charisma or star quality, and whilst The Doll knows what he’s doing his momentum’s kinda low at the moment and needs a boost. Which is why he scored the win tonight, taking Riley down with the New York Death Drop for the pin.

Winners: Urban Insects Match Rating: E+

The Show

Danny Rushmore vs. Animal Harker

Well, this is a promising start for Danny and no mistake. Granted, he’s a solid worker and I’d expected something pretty decent from him, but this was a step up even on that. I’m inclined to think that’s down to Harker- he’s no great shakes as a worker yet, but since Lee started mentoring him he’s come on leaps and bounds, particularly in his fundamentals. That’s starting to make Harker into a valuable prospect, and whilst I don’t see him making it to the top of the card I could see him as a Tri-State champion in a few years now. He’s also pretty big, which allowed us to move Danny away from his usual pseudo-monster schtick and into something a bit different. Here he was the classic bully, rarely giving a clean break and never missing a chance to take a cheap shot at his opponent. Harker fought back as best he could, making particular use of his trademark headbutts to even the odds, but Danny’s disrespect for the rules gave him the advantage he needed to press home his advantage. In the end he took the victory here, taking Harker down with the Atomic Boot (Running Big Boot).

Winner: Danny Rushmore Match Rating: C-

From there we head to the Promo Position to hear from Whistler

“The last time I held the Empire title, it was you took it from me, Black Hat Bailey, you and your buddies in The Old School. Well the wheel’s turned full circle and now Ol’ Whistler’s challenging for the title, no allies, nobody to watch his back and make sure your boys stay out of it. But you know what? That don’t matter to me. That don’t matter because nobody in this world can stop me from fighting for that title- beat me, wound me, take me out back and shoot me, I’ll just stand back up and keep on goin’! Tonight Bailey, we’re going to war! HOOOOO!!!!”

Boy, Whistler was fired up here- this was the best we’ve seen out of him since the start of the year.

Rating: C-

The Sensational Singh vs. Cameron Vessey

Boy, we are riding a hot streak tonight. This was another great match, and also stood out as the first match I’ve seen with no major weaknesses; just a good match, well put together and performed by good workers. The story here was simple enough; Cam was initially fairly contemptuous of the none-more-flamboyant Singh, but that changed after the Indian dominated the early stages of the match with technical skill and some of his trademark power work (a big part of Singh’s character is his habit of surprising people with a big suplex or slam at key moments- they’re not a regular part of his moveset but he always hits them at exactly the right moment). Cam fought back, but his rhythm had clearly been thrown by Singh’s early success, and the flamboyant wrestler clearly had no problem playing with Cam’s head and throwing him off his game. Cam eventually went the tried-and-trusted Old School route of heading to the outside to get his breath back, but Singh merely spent most of the 10-count strutting round the ring and taunting his opponent, luring Cam back in early and stomping him into the mat. Eventually Cam went for the Rick Sanders low blow, only for Singh to catch the leg and reverse the move into the Bombay Duck (Haas of Pain). Cam lasted for all of about four seconds before he tapped out.

Winner: The Sensational Singh Match Rating: C-

After the match Singh has made his way to the back, but Cam grabs a mic

“Did I say we were done yet, Singh you freak? No way! I want you in the ring again, and I want you to come without all those stupid tricks you used this time. ‘Cos next time we meet, I’m going to beat you nice and slow!”

This didn’t get a great reaction- ah well, they can’t all be winners.

Rating: E+

Sammy the Shark vs. The Masked Mauler

Our hot streak came to an end with this match, which was pretty much as mediocre as can be. It wasn’t bad, mind you, but after his last couple of matches it’s clear that Mauler isn’t cut out for singles competition, and to cap it off he clearly wasn’t having a great day in the ring either; his form was all over the place, leading to some very awkward moments. As for Sammy, he’s competent but has yet to really catch fire as a worker, and his partnership with Cheerleader Nicki isn’t working at all; she’s good but kinda distracting, and she has a tendency to overshadow him when he’s not hitting his big spots (and given that he doesn’t have a great many big spots that’s definitely a problem). Story-wise, this was a simple one, with Mauler cycling through the routine collection of heel tricks and nastiness whilst Sammy relied on his usual combo of smooth chain wrestling and brawling to hold his own. In the end that proved to be more than enough, and he was able to hit The Ace in the Hole at the 10-minute mark to get the victory.

Winner: Sammy the Shark Match Rating: D

After the match Sammy is celebrating when he’s blindsided by Danny Rushmore, who nails him with an Atomic Boot before stomping away at him, bringing his feet down right on Sammy’s chest. The locker room empties in an effort to pull Danny off his victim but Danny merely throws them off and goes back to beating on Sammy, at one point coming off the ropes with a running knee drop right on Sammy’s much-bruised sternum. Eventually he’s dragged out of the ring and Sammy’s taken backstage (on a stretcher which he probably doesn’t need, but it just screams ‘drama’). The reaction to this was pretty good, largely thanks to Sammy’s increasing name value and Danny’s menace.

Rating: D

The Ring Generals vs. Natural Storm

After Sammy’s match this was a return to our usual form, although that’s really to be expected from these guys. Storm are definitely in line for a title run at some point, although I need to bring the face side of the division up a bit before then (it’s pretty much just the Ring Generals and a jobber team at the moment). As for Marv and Dean, they’re a great team who really know their stuff, even if individually there’s still some work to be done before they’re really good singles workers. The story here was a variant on the classic face-in-peril routine, with Natural Storm cutting the ring in half and working over Dean Waldorf. Dean fought back pretty well, even if the numbers game was theoretically against him, and although it was clear that he was starting to lose ground he was able to score a surprise roll-up on Eddie that nailed him a strong two-count. What’s better, Howard’s kick out propelled Dean in the direction of his corner, and before the Storm could get over to stop him he’d tagged in Marv, who went to work with a series of big takedowns that had their opponents reeling. Of course that didn’t last long, but the Storm weren’t able to reclaim the advantage and it wasn’t long before Deec was isolated in the Generals’ corner. One Squared Circle Assault later and it was another successful title defence for Statler & Waldorf

Winner: The Ring Generals Match Rating: D+

We’re once again back at The Promo Position, this time to hear from Honest Frank

“I’m sorry, Dave Diamond, I truly am. Because tonight, I’m gonna have to destroy you. It’s nothing personal, but since I should be competing for the Empire title tonight, well, I’m kinda p*ssed off. Simple fact is, Whistler got lucky last month and apparently that gives him the right to challenge for a title that should be around my waist right now. So tonight, tonight is a chance for me for vent that frustration by beating the ever-loving snot outta your stupid redneck @s. But don’t worry, I’m only out to beat you, I won’t try and kill you or anything

“After all…Would I Lie To You?”

This was alright, but I wouldn’t class it among Frank’s best efforts.

Rating: D+

Honest Frank vs. Dazzling Dave Diamond

This was another solid match, although that’s really to be expected from these guys. Dave’s a solid competitor who’s still enjoying a lot of momentum despite the lack of focus on him- his stamina precludes a major feud, and I’ve mostly been bleeding off that hot streak onto other people- and if I can find the right partner for him he’d be a good fit for the tag division. Frank, on the other hand, is probably one of our best main event stars and is a definite contender for the next Empire contender, at least until I’ve had a chance to really look into Danny Rushmore. Realistically speaking, however, neither guy’s going to improve much on where they are now, and in Dave’s case that’s really going to limit his opportunities going forward; for him to realistically stand a chance of getting a big title run he needs to improve his stamina quite a lot, and I don’t see that happening. Frank, on the other hand, already has the skill-set to be a champion, so he took the win here with The Best Policy and then the Brass Knuckles when Dave didn’t go down straight off.

Winner: Honest Frank Match Rating: D+

From there we’re headed to the Promo Position to hear from The Sensational Singh

“So Cameron Vessey wants me in the ring again? Cammy dah-ling, if you want to lock up with me I’m game all day, every day. But one warning old chum: I don’t play nice with bad little boys like you.”

This was another duff angle from this feud- maybe I should look at changing this up a notch.

Rating: D-

Steve Flash vs. Rick Sanders

As you might expect from two of our finest competitors this was one of the best matches of the night. As I say, though, that’s to be expected from these two; Steve is probably our best worker, and whilst Rick’s nowhere near Steve’s level his fundamentals and technical ability still makes him one of our strongest competitors. As you might expect, therefore, this was an almost exclusively technical encounter, with both guys trading holds both on their feet and on the mat whilst the crowd cheered them on (our fans love two kinds of matches; rugged brawls and technical clinics). Rick took the early advantage thanks to some well-timed distractions from Herb, keeping the match on its feet where his chain wrestling could really match up to Steve’s. That left him open to a counterattack, though, and it wasn’t long before Steve was able to get enough distance to nail one of his trademark dropkicks, putting Sanders firmly on the back foot. From there things got faster and more mat-based, as Steve took Rick to the floor and worked over his legs and back, setting him up for either the Sharpshooter or the Flash Bang, depending on what he got the opening for. In the end Rick went for his classic low blow, but this time it didn’t work out as Steve caught the kick and took him straight into the Sharpshooter, forcing Rick to submit.

Winner: Steve Flash Match Rating: C-

Whistler vs. Black Hat Bailey

It was a pity to end the night on something of a weak note, but you really shouldn’t ever expect Whistler and Bailey to match up to Steve or Danny Rushmore in terms of match quality. The simple truth is that Whistler’s main event status is less to do with his talent than to do with the fact that you can rely on his name value to sell tickets, whilst Bailey’s a solid competitor but undeniably over the hill and showing it. As individuals they can deliver great matches against strong opposition, but as a pair you’re never going to see a classic bout from them. As such, whilst this match was perfectly entertaining it was hardly up to the standard of our opening run of matches or Steve/Sanders, as both men stuck firmly to their usual routines and didn’t give us anything we hadn’t seen before. Don’t get me wrong, I like what these guys can do and so do the fans, but once you’ve seen half a dozen Whistler matches you’ve seen everything he has (the lariats, the shoulder blocks, the big comeback etcetera) and Bailey’s moveset hasn’t changed much since 1997 (although that’s largely because the psychology behind it works so well to set up for the finish). Story-wise, this was the usual combo of dominating back work from Bailey and gutsy tenacity from Whistler, leading up to a finish that saw Whistler hit the Rebel Yell, only for Frank to hit the ring and take him out with the Brass Knuckles. To add insult to injury Frank then dragged Bailey across and draped him on top of Whistler, giving him the victory and denying Whistler a record-breaking fourth Empire title run.

Winner: Black Hat Bailey Match Rating: D+

Overall Rating: D+, same as usual.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see how the predictions went this time, shall we?

Regis: 7/7

Hashasheen: 6/7

Occasional_Z: 7/7

Midnightnick: 5/7

BHK1978: 7/7

So, highest predictions all round mean that Regis (as usual), Occasional_Z and BHK1978 all have the right to ask a question of any NYCW superstar they wish.

ooc: I am not sure if you will want this question answered from a storyline perspective. If that is the case I shall think of something else to ask.

My question is for Sammy the Shark,

After Danny Rushmore brutally beat you down, it has become clear to me that he is after one thing, your NYCW TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE. How do you think you will be able to combat a man who is arguably your toughest opponent to date?

ooc: I am not sure if you will want this question answered from a storyline perspective. If that is the case I shall think of something else to ask.

My question is for Sammy the Shark,

After Danny Rushmore brutally beat you down, it has become clear to me that he is after one thing, your NYCW TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE. How do you think you will be able to combat a man who is arguably your toughest opponent to date?

No problem with that question at all, though it might take a little work (I've never really nailed Sammy's initial character- whenever I give him a major face push he always gets a gimmick change).

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/BlackHatBailey-1.jpg

“You want to see what difference a month can make, Broadway Boogie’s a good example. It was basically the same kind of standard as Manhattan Mêlée- maybe a little better, overall- but the atmosphere was so much better in the locker room. Hugh in particular was in a much better mood- I can’t say for certain, but I got the feeling his women’s division plan had gotten something out of Stomper- and he was really positive that show, just putting everyone over after the show, making excuses for what didn’t work as well as it might have. It’s a real classic case of Hugh’s big defining feature; the whole locker room is kind of balanced on his mood. If he feels good, he really goes all-out and everybody feels positive and has a good time; if he’s not so happy it becomes real difficult in the locker room.

“Of course, Herb Stately kinda spoiled the party, but Hugh and Herb had never gotten on”

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/SuperSonic_alt2.jpg

Hugh scowls, his feelings for Herb coming across only too clearly

“Herb was a jealous little @sshole who couldn’t deal with losing the number one spot on the commentary desk, and he took it on everyone he worked with. Now, I don’t mind guys hating my guts- it comes with the territory- but you never, ever, take out your problem with me on the guy I work with, that’s not on and I won’t let it stand. At Broadway Boogie Herb decided, for whatever reason I don’t know, to start picking on Whistler, just taking the mick outta his gimmick, his moves, everything. Some guys, they won’t react to that for whatever reason, but Whistler’s never had a problem standing up for himself and just went for him. At the time, I let Herb off with a warning, y’know- ‘I see any more of that sh*t, you’re gone’- but then a few days after the show Jenny Playmate became available so I just fired him”

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/CameronVessey.jpg

“I think Herb had got into his head, y’know, ‘They’ve lost Brandon, Lee’s not working full-time anymore, they won’t fire me because I’m too valuable’, kinda thing. Truth was, though, he was nowhere near as important as he thought he was- Herb thought he was invaluable, but the truth was that Hugh had been wanting to offload him since he took over the booking and Herb gave him the perfect excuse right as another candidate became available. Me, I didn’t really care- Herb had never treated me too badly but Jenny was a heck of a lot better looking and I figured a link with CGC up north wasn’t going to hurt my career any, so why not? Besides, I was very aware of how the mic work to launch me and Singh off had gone, the reaction hadn’t been great and a new manager could probably help with that.”

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/JennyPlaymate-1.jpg

“I’d spent pretty much my whole career working in Canada, so the offer to come and work the States looked interesting”

Stephanie Williams, still best known to most of the wrestling world as Jenny Playmate, is every bit as beautiful out of the ring as in it

“Plus, NYCW gave me the chance to play heel and work with their top guys, which I hadn’t had the chance to do in CGC. Don’t get me wrong, I was happy with what I was doing there, but I was mostly working with Shane Nelson and he was a rock-solid midcard guy. In New York, on the other hand, I was the number one manager and playing a really nasty b*tch, and that was just fun. I’ve always been more of a natural face than a heel, though I can play a baddie, and the chance to just cut loose and do something different was a lot of fun.”

“The advantage of bringing someone in to play against type is that you get a lot more control over the booking. You bring in someone like, say, Whistler, who’s famed for doing a particular character, he’s gonna know that character better than anybody else. So you’re inevitable gonna get something where he says ‘that’s not what I’d do, that’s not how I act, it’s just out of character’, eh? Whereas here, with Jenny playing something new and different, she was a lot more willing to listen to outside input and really change things up- it’s already a new thing, so there’s not that awareness of exactly how she’s supposed to act in this situation. The one thing she did put her foot down on, just refused to do, was use her real name- Jenny Playmate as a name was too much associated with the face persona she played in CGC, and if we were going to get her taken seriously as the kind of heel she’d be in NYCW, we needed a clear demarcation from that character. So I figured, eh, Stephanie Williams- Jenny’s real name- that’s a more serious name for a character, people who care will still know she’s really Jenny Playmate but it’s different enough that people will take her own terms. But Jenny just would not go for it”

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/JennyPlaymate-1.jpg

“The simple reason was, I didn’t want people to think that’s who I really was, out of the ring I mean. You look at people who’ve used their real name when they wrestle, they’re basically playing themselves. Sean McFly really is the quiet, nice guy he plays on camera, and Sam Strong, well, he’s like that all the time. Me, though, I’m not the same person out of the ring that I am in it, and I wanted to differentiate between them, if only for my own peace of mind, you know? So I put my foot down and said, y’know, I don’t care what name you give me, but I’m not going by Stephanie Williams onscreen. In the end they just put the two together and called me Jennifer Williams, which I was totally fine with, but I think Hugh kinda resented me putting my foot down so hard that early on in my run- I got a weird vibe off him for a few months afterwards”

Hugh looks unusually thoughtful, his usual snarky grin most definitely not in place

“It was never a deliberate thing, but I think she’s right, I did kinda treat Jenny weird after that first month. She was a great girl, a lot of fun backstage, but I never knew if she was really part of the team or just visiting, y’know? I mean, CGC was where she made her money and that was fine, that’s her priority and I don’t mind, but she’d killed my first idea for the character and I wasn’t sure that I could trust her to go with our ideas going forward. Looking back that wasn’t really necessary- Jenny was always good at toeing the company line, the name thing had just been a very specific issue she was big on- but we’d had a pretty dramatic few months by NYCW standards so I was kinda fried”

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/MichaelBull.jpg

“Riots on Wall Street in May was usually the start of the big build to New York State of Mind, our big August Show, so it was one of those shows where we always planned the whole thing out well in advance and made sure we had some kind of long-term plan in mind, so we knew how things would build to August. Even Hugh was quite fussy about that stuff, and we’ve probably all mentioned his usual approach to long-term planning. We pretty much knew, though, that he’d be launching his new women’s division at New York State of Mind if Stomper agreed to it, so maybe he was just making sure he sealed the deal with a really strong build-up to the main event- there were a few guys back then, and I’m thinking particularly of Rick and Lee Wright, who had a tendency to object to anything new, even if they quite liked it in principle, just so people would have to justify it.”

Card for NYCW Riots on Wall Street:

FOR THE NYCW EMPIRE CHAMPIONSHIP

The Sensational Singh vs. Black Hat Bailey ©

Whistler & Sammy the Shark vs. Honest Frank & Danny Rushmore

Steve Flash vs. Cameron Vessey

Animal Harker vs. Lee Wright

FOR THE NYCW TAG TEAM TITLES

The Ring Generals © vs. Urban Insects

Dazzling Dave Diamond vs. DC Rayne

The Atlantic Connection vs. Old School Principals

The Sensational Singh vs Black Hat Bailey

Whistler & Sammy the Shark vs Honest Frank & Danny Rushmore

The Ring Generals vs. Urban Insects

Cammy-ference.

Whistler's coming close to retirement, and Danny's a Monster.

Flash is the top tip for next champ.

I just don't see Animal Harker going over his mentor, even if Wright is half-retired.

Natural Storm will be the next Tag Team Champs.

SIngles worker over tag worker.

JOBBERS!

Cant see Singh winning the gold second match in

Old man and useless man vs no.2 heel and monster? Easy decision!

Can still see Flash getting a shot at BHB

Harker should never win.

Generals should retain

Start of DDD's unbeaten streak? :)

Squash

Card for NYCW Riots on Wall Street:

I like Singh, but he's not going to take the title so quickly.

I know Whistler is like 60, but Whistler is America and I will never not root for Whistler.

Flash Pin for Flash?

There's a good chance Lee Wright will keel over in the ring and give it to Harker by default.

Don't see Ant-Man and New York Doll winning the titles in their second match together.

Singles guy beats tag guys.

If the Atlantic Connection can't beat The Urban Insects than they aren't winning this one.

You know I could see Singh pulling off the win here, I don't think it will happen but I would not be all that shocked.

Grumpy old bastard for the win!

Just the usual 24-hour warning people, and here's the fan questions as well!

Firstly, this one from BHK1978:

For Sammy the Shark: "After Danny Rushmore brutally beat you down, it has become clear to me that he is after one thing, your NYCW TRI-STATE REGIONAL TITLE. How do you think you will be able to combat a man who is arguably your toughest opponent to date?"

Sammy the Shark: Honestly? I couldn't tell you. Danny's an unknown quantity, a new player at the table and I don't know what's in his hand yet. I can tell you one thing, though: in the end, everything in this ring is about luck. And me? I'm the luckiest man in town.

Secondly, this one from Occasional_Z:

For Dazzling Dave Diamond: "Given your late start in the wrestling business, do you worry that time may be running out for you to make an impact in NYCW?"

Dazzling Dave Diamond: Aw shoot man, time ain't no kind of problem for this ol' hoss. All it takes is pickin' a fight with the right boys, and if there's one thing I know about, it's how to start a fight. You just look for ol' Dave Dave Diamond making an impack real soon.

NYCW Riots on Wall Street

Live to DVD from The Ministry

Saturday, Week 4, May 2010

Audience: 880

The Show

Although Lee’s basically retired by this point he’s yet to fully call time on his in-ring career, so I threw him out here to provide another decent match on this card and give Animal a boost. After the quality of his match against Danny last month I’m currently giving Harker a bit of a push to see how he handles it; the Tri-State title is probably going to drop down to a midcard heel and I need to sort out some challengers before I go with that so the transition’s smoother. If this match is anything to go by he won’t be my number one choice for a run at the next champ- it wasn’t a bad match but Harker’s still yet to get the crowd really into his matches, and his stamina’s not great either (though neither is Dave’s, and he’s the other likely challenger for the Tri-State title). In any case, he’s the only guy in this match who’s still going to be wrestling in a year’s time so he got the win, taking Lee out with the Stump Piledriver (Package Piledriver).

Winner: Animal Harker Match Rating: D

From there we go backstage to the Promo Position, where Jennifer Williams is on hype duty for the main event

“Do not adjust your set bozos, there’s a new face in The Old School and it’s a lot prettier than Herb Stately. One thing hasn’t changed, though, and that’s the guaranteed success of Black Hat Bailey in defending the Empire Title. Singh, I don’t know what the heck your deal is, but I can assure you of one thing: you ain’t walking from this the Empire Champion. Maybe under all those sequins and that awful dye job there’s a great wrestler, maybe not, but that doesn’t change the fact that Black Hat Bailey is better than you’ll ever hope to be. Because he’s riding with The Old School, and Old School Rules”

This was streets ahead of what Herb was getting in exactly the same situation, so I’d say Jenny’s justified her paycheck right out the door.

Old School Principals vs. The Atlantic Connection

This was about what you’d expect. The Atlantic Connection are basically rotten and have singularly failed to deliver thus far, even in terms of improvement (I’m not saying they have to improve beyond all recognition, but a grade or two would be the least I’d expect given the guys they’ve been working against). I’m inclined to keep them around for a while, since they come cheap and there’s a slight chance that they might actually show the necessary improvement at some point in the next year or so. In any case, they took the loss here (as usual) after Rick Sanders took out CJ with a low blow before they hit Old School Discipline on Riley McManus.

Winners: Old School Principals Match Rating: D-

DC Rayne vs. Dazzling Dave Diamond

This was a filler match, and also served as an audition of sorts for Dave to show what we might expect from a singles feud for him. Frankly I wasn’t impressed- Deec’s probably a slightly stronger competitor than Lee (well he’s not as old, anyway) but this wasn’t any better. To be fair it was a perfectly serviceable match in and of itself, but after the start we made last month this compounded our mediocre start. Still, whilst I’m disappointed with this one it wasn’t too bad in and of itself. We went with the standard story of Dave’s matches, with him making a fiery start only to take his foot off the gas and let his opponent make a comeback, in this case with a punch to the face and a series of brutal forearm shots. This time, however, Dave was able to hang on, kicking out of an O’Connor Roll and firing back with a series of big lariats that fired the crowd up. Deec tried to stage a comeback, locking in a chickenwing hold to sap Dave’s energy before whipping Dave off the ropes for his trademark Spinebuster, only for Dave to reverse the whip and nail a Dazzle Driver for the victory.

Winner: Dazzling Dave Diamond Match Rating: D

The Ring Generals vs. Urban Insects

This was basically a filler defence to pad out the show, but it actually turned into a pretty solid match given who was in it. Ant-Man in particular just isn’t that good a worker, and like Riley and CJ hasn’t shown the improvement I would’ve hoped for, but this was still a thoroughly decent, entertaining match. Admittedly The Ring Generals are an excellent team, and pretty good individually, so maybe I should’ve seen this coming, but I figured that the Insects would drag this down too far to get a decent rating. That’s probably unfair, though- sure, Ant-Man’s not that good, but the Doll at least has charisma and enough brawling skill to make sure he delivers in the ring. Story-wise this one was all about the Ring Generals, who used their superior teamwork to outmanoeuvre the challengers and control the match. Urban Insects got a few good spots, with Ant-Man in particular getting a cool spot where he nailed both Ring Generals at once with a Samoan Drop. In the end, though, it wasn’t enough, as he was late going for the pinfall and found himself caught in a Waldorf Salad Toss (Fisherman’s Suplex). He kicked out of the subsequent pin attempt, but Dean threw him into the corner, setting him up for the Squared Circle Assault. He was never kicking out of that one.

Winners: The Ring Generals Match Rating: D

Once again we’re at the Promo Position, where Jen’s on hype duty for Cam/Steve

“Simple facts here Steve: you’re good. You’re very good, and unlike other managers I could mention I’m not going to underestimate you. That’s why this match is happening tonight- you get another shot at Black Hat Bailey, you’re almost good enough to beat him. Almost. But tonight, tonight you’re up against Cameron Vessey, and he’s got one very simple instruction: break Steve Flash in half. This match exists so that you cannot get that next shot. Because there is no way The Old School is letting you near the Empire Title, not now and not ever. Those are the rules…The Old School Rules”

Jenny continues to make a really strong debut tonight- this got a good reaction, and did a solid job tying this into Flash’s feud with Bailey

This was pretty much what you’d expect from one of our most promising rookies and the greatest veteran wrestler on the independent scene; a good match with a strong narrative and lots of cool spots. Without me ever really trying to push him as such, Cam’s managed to become one of our top young guys and a potential future main-event star, though I don’t have him down as an Empire Champion without further seasoning. As for Steve, it’s ridiculous that he’s never been approached by one of the major promotions- sure he’s probably the wrong style for Supreme, but you’d have thought that TCW or North of the Border would’ve gone for him by now, even if he is the far side of 40. That age gap played into the story of this match, which saw Cameron initially dominate with a combo of managerial interference and youthful aggression, only for Steve to use his substantial experience advantage to lure Cameron into a Hotshot that dropped the younger man throat-first onto the ropes. That evened the match out considerably, and when Steve followed up with a series of dropkicks the momentum started to swing his way. Jenny tried to halt the slide by distracting the ref long enough for Cam to try for a low blow (traditional, rather than Sanders-style), but Steve knew what was coming and caught Cam’s arm as he went for the blow, rolling through and turning it into an armbar. Cam managed to get to the ropes to break the hold, but an attempted lariat was met with a dropkick to the knee that set him up for the Flash Bang, securing the victory for Steve.

Winner: Steve Flash Match Rating: C-

No sooner has the match ended than we’re once again at the Promo Position, this time to hear from Honest Frank and Danny Rushmore

“We’ve got a lot of history in this match. Me and Whistler, everybody knows about me and Whistler. But you and me, Sammy, we go back a long way too. Who was it who first saw your potential, Sammy? Me. I was the guy who mentored you when you first got here, I was the guy who helped you win your first ever title here- heck, it was me put you together with Roger Cage, before Nicki came along and Rog started thinking with his other brain. So it’s probably fair to say that you and I know everything about each other, how we work and how to beat each other. So that’s why I’m teaming up with this guy, Danny ‘The Mountain’ Rushmore- Whistler, I can beat. Sammy, I can beat. But with Danny on my side, it’s not a matter of can, it’s a matter of will.”

“I came to New York to do two things: win titles, and break bodies. The Old School paid me a whole lotta money to stay away from the Empire title and Black Hat Bailey, so Sammy, you’re next on the pain list. I’m coming for that Tri-State title, but hey, if I get to break your spirit tonight I won’t say no. Whistler, I don’t like you, and I’ll happily tear you limb from limb, but I’m warning you now: you don’t have a title, so stay out of my way and I won’t hurt you too bad. Sammy, though, you’re booked on a one-way trip- Hospital or Morgue, it’s your choice”

This was an excellent promo- Frank’s a fantastic talker, and we’ve got Danny playing up his menace rather than his frankly p*ss-poor charisma. Tonight, that made for an effective combo

Rating: C-

We cross-fade to Sammy and Whistler, also on hype duty

“Y’know Frank, you’ve got a real knack for finding yourself some sucker to hide behind when consequences come a’callin. Danny, you’re just the latest in a long line of guys Frank’s lined up to take the fall for his big mouth, and you better believe it won’t be any different tonight! You talk tough, you talk about pain, but there ain’t no pain bad enough to keep us down! You bring you’re a-game, you bring all your fighting spirit, at the end of the night you’ll still be looking at the lights! HOOOO!!!”

“Danny, Frank, you’re tough. Real tough, in point of fact. And make no mistake about it, I’m well aware of how danger you both are. But that doesn’t change the fact that I’m gonna do everything in my power to win tonight. ‘Cos brother, I’m holding all the aces.”

This…didn’t work. It was a solid enough promo in and of itself, but something was definitely off.

As it turns out, Sammy and Whistler are just about the worst pairing in the known universe, which at least explains why their promo didn’t come off right. Whilst that is vaguely disappointing, it’s worth pointing out as well that this was one of the best matches we’ve ever had- number three on the top 10, and if it wasn’t for Sammy and Whistler’s chemistry problems it might’ve come much higher. That’s not really a surprise, though- three of the four guys in this match are really talented, capable workers, and whilst Whistler isn’t one of our best wrestler his charisma and name value make him a useful constituent of these kinds of matches. Story-wise, Sammy played face-in-peril after Frank and Danny jumped him and Whistler before the bell, tossing Whistler over the top rope and focussing all their offence on the younger guy. Sammy’s sheer gutsiness kept him in the game, and every chance he got he was throwing punches and trying to out-wrestle his opponents, but Frank and Danny were too dirty and vicious respectively for him to get ahead. Eventually Frank went for the brass knuckles and it looked like that was it for the good guys, but when Sammy got out of the way Danny ate the blow instead, giving the younger man time to tag in Whistler. The All-American Everyman went to work in style, throwing Shoulder blocks at both his opponents and even lifting Danny over his head for a big scoop slam that got the crowd on their feet (and also served to illustrate Danny’s non-monster credentials- like I said, we’re not pushing him like that so why not have him get slammed around a bit). The bad guys staged a credible fight back, with Danny in particular scoring some big blows and slams of his own, but in the end nothing could keep Whistler down for long and he was able to take down Frank with a Rebel Yell whilst Sammy kept Rushmore busy at ringside.

Winners: Whistler & Sammy the Shark Match Rating: C-

Black Hat Bailey vs. The Sensational Singh

We’re two for two in top 5 main event matches- this one came in slightly under the tag match but still stood out as one of the best we’ve ever had. That’s to be expected, though, as both these guys are amongst the best we or anyone else at our level has got. It still baffles me that neither TCW or the SWF have picked up on how good Singh is, even if he is maybe a bit small, and I’ve said before how good Bailey is technically. That added up to a match that was all about trading holds at the start, as each man tried to out-wrestle the other. Bailey came off second best at that stage and pulled the classic ‘screw this, I’m outta here’ tactic so beloved of heels everywhere, only for Singh to hit him with a snap German Suplex that got him a shock two-count. The Sensational One was quick to capitalise, working over Bailey’s legs to set up for the Bombay Duck whilst also pounding away at Bailey with some well-timed slams and suplexes, including a scoop slam that was doubly impressive when you consider that Bailey’s got a good 40 pounds on the Indian and yet Singh did it one-handed. Of course it wasn’t all one way, and whenever Jennifer Williams could get involved the momentum swung back Bailey’s way, but his slow, relentless style increasingly seemed to be overwhelmed by Singh’s sheer power. Not that Sensational was all business, mind you- as always he was a flamboyantly entertaining presence, strutting around the ring like he owned it and flirting shamelessly with Jenny. That gave Bailey the distraction he needed to try and stage a comeback, but he was caught off-guard when Singh jumped straight into the Cal-Cutter (Jumping Cutter), dropping Bailey for what looked like a guaranteed three-count. That didn’t count on Cameron Vessey, though, who came steaming down to ringside and broke the pin. Before Michael Bull could get him out of the ring Cam had put the boots to Singh, stomping away at his back and managing to hit the Vessey Driver before finally quitting the ring. With Singh out on his back it was easy for Bailey to lock in the Bailey Breaker, and the already semi-conscious Singh soon passed out from the pain.

Winner: Black Hat Bailey Match Rating: C-

After the match Bailey starts stomping away at Singh, apparently irate at the fight he put up. Cam is quick to join in the assault, and it’s not long before the Principals join them in the ring for an Old School gang beat-down. Fortunately for Singh Steve Flash comes running out from backstage swinging a steel chair, driving most of The Old School off. We close out the show with a shot of Steve and Bailey standing nose-to-nose as Rock and I went nuts on commentary.

Overall Rating: C-, a new best-ever. Which was nice.

So, let's take a shuftie at the predictions and see how it went.

Midnightnick: 5/7

Hashasheen: 4/7

Regis: 5/7

Occasional_Z: 5/7

Tiberious4: 7/7, which is one heck of a debut. You also win funniest prediction for your thoughts on Animal/Lee

BHK1978: 5/7

So, Tiberious4 wins this one and gets the right to ask a question of any NYCW wrestler he likes. I'm also going to open this one up and give a question to Midnightnick, as he's been predicting since day one and never got a question before (plus I like having more than one question to answer).

Not sure when the next post will go up, but it should be in the next three or four days.

I won? That's a nice surprise as I was pretty sure I would be wrong about Harker and the Whistler/Sammy tag match.

Here's a question for Whistler:

"Whistler, you've had great success over your career winning numerous titles including three reigns as Empire Champion. Do you feel like you have anything left to accomplish before your eventual retirement?"

OOC Note: Everybody, go check out Tiberious4's POW dynasty, it's good!

“Every company has that one big show, the banner event of the year. The Supreme Challenge, Night of The Burning Hammer, The DeColt WrestleFestival or TCW Total Mayhem, they’re the proverbial Big One. For NYCW, that big show was New York State of Mind, right back to when it was the first show the company ever put out back in ’88. Okay, so maybe that distinction didn’t mean so much at our level, and the show had moved around a lot over the years- September, May, August, February, November, back to August- but it was still the one we pulled out all the stops for. I mean, we had our main event announced in June, which was unheard of for us back then- I don’t like to book too far in advance in case something goes wrong and I have to change plans on the fly, but you couldn’t get away with that for State of Mind. So I let Bailey know we had him pencilled in for the main event and threatened him with my most creative murders if he retired before then”

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/BlackHatBailey-1.jpg

Bailey chuckles at the memory, shaking his head ruefully

“He’s not kidding about the threats. Hugh’s not exactly the scariest guy in the world but his imagination…he clearly spent way too much time watching bad horror movies when he was young. It was more entertaining than worrying, but I definitely got the message- no retiring before August. Not that I was planning to when he called, but I still got the point.

“The big thing, though, wasn’t me retiring, it was Steve’s plans going forward. North of the Border had made it to the point where they were offering written deals, and there was a lot of speculation about whether or not they’d make a move for Steve. I know Hugh had history up north- I’d only arrived in New York years after it was all over, but it wasn’t exactly a secret- and Steve was so popular up north that we all figured there was a good chance they’d go for him.”

“We’d just lost Lee to Supreme- he’d finally retired, and had more value as a road agent- and when North of the Border went national I had a couple of rough days, especially after WLW made an offer to Cam to go on tour with them and Whistler got in touch to say he was calling time on his career…”

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/Whistler.jpg

Whistler shrugs noncommittally

“I just figured it was time to call time on my career in the ring. I was looking at guys like Singh and Sammy, they were younger, fitter, just better wrestlers than I was, and I figured, maybe it’s time for me to call time on it, y’know? Way I saw it, a good talker’s always valuable even if he’s not wrestling. I told Hugh I’d try to make it to New York State of Mind before I hung the boots up for good but I couldn’t promise anything. Hugh’s response was, well, I could tell he wasn’t really happy about it but he made it clear that I’d still have a job as a manager once I was done in the ring, then he started talking about the women’s division he was putting together…”

“With Whistler retiring, Cam touring in Japan- though he was still around for our Saturday night shows- and Lee properly off our shows I figured it was time to bring forward our plans for the Women’s Division. Originally the plan was for them to debut at New York State of Mind with a title match and maybe an undercard tag bout, but with the gaps opening out and no way of closing them down immediately at hand I brought the plan forward. Now we’d debut the division with a couple of matches at Brooklyn Brawl in June and set up a tournament or something to go through to crowning the first champion at New York State of Mind instead.

“Now, putting together a women’s division for an old-school company like New York isn’t the easiest thing in the world. Sure there’s hundreds of female wrestlers out there you could pick up, and the Cat’s Lair over at AAA turned out some of the best female wrestlers I’ve ever seen, but you had to get the right kind of women for our company. You could actually get away with the odd high-flier here- Heidi Brooks was a real flier and she casts a long shadow in Old-School wrestling- but your top girls should really have more to than that, you want technicians or brawlers, or even just straight all-rounders, and they’re not that easy to find. So when it came to putting together the women’s division, I knew exactly where to go first…”

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/Looneyboyo/NYCW/TamaraMcFly.jpg

Tamara McFly-Dansigny blushes the well-practiced blush of a woman living in a state of semi-perpetual mild embarrassment

“Yeah, he knew exactly where to go- through the house to the living room so he could ask me if I wanted a job in New York. I’m serious, that’s exactly how I was picked up. Typical Hugh, though- his definition of ‘professionalism’ is, and I’m quoting here, ‘something that people do when they aren’t good enough at their jobs to get away with doing what the heck they like’. Like the title plans for the division- I think he was saying, even before they’d finished signing up all the names, that I was the first champion. Again, that’s just who Hugh is; lots of companies, you get that slight nepotism thing, that pushing your friends and relatives to the top, but most guys don’t acknowledge it or try and pass it off as something else. Hugh though, his whole attitude is ‘yeah, I’m pushing this woman ‘cos she’s my wife and these guys ‘cos they’re my friends, now what are you gonna do about it?’- not exactly mature, but that’s Hugh for ya.”

She pauses, listening to a muted question from off-camera

“Would I have signed for New York if Hugh wasn’t working there? I dunno. Assuming the women’s division would have happened without him to push for it, which I don’t think it would’ve, I honestly couldn’t say whether or not I’d have been interested. I mean, signing for the company wasn’t just because Hugh was working there, but if I said I wasn’t interested in being able to spend more time with my husband then I’d be a liar”

“Brooklyn Brawl, our June show, was all about continuing the build for New York State of Mind and hopefully building on the momentum of Riots on Wall Street. We were introducing the women’s division, which rounded out the undercard nicely, whilst the rest of the card was pretty much all about moving our feuds on another step. In the past, that tended to make for okay shows that didn’t matter that much in and of themselves, but this time we were hoping things would be a little different”

Card for NYCW Brooklyn Brawl

Steve Flash & The Sensational Singh vs. Black Hat Bailey & Cameron Vessey

Whistler vs. Danny Rushmore

Sammy the Shark vs. Honest Frank

Dean Waldorf vs. Rick Sanders

Marv Statler vs. The Masked Mauler

NYCW WOMEN’S TITLE TOURNAMENT- FIRST STAGE

Tamara McFly vs. Emma Bitch

Ashley Grover vs. Golden Delicious

OOC Note: Everybody, go check out Tiberious4's POW dynasty, it's good!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your endorsement; though it is a bit odd considering POW and NYCW are about opposites in terms of styles. :p

Card for NYCW Brooklyn Brawl

Both guys seem like good title contenders, so a win over the champion in a tag match would make sense.

I'll never not root for Whistler.

Seems like a trustworthy fellow.

Rick is a bit more talented.

Even Steven booking for tag team guys I guess.

NYCW can't have profanity in their champions name!

Again I take the real name over the silly one.

I'm probably getting this very wrong, but... BHB's the champ, and he don't lose for no reason.

Rushmore retires the vet.

Sammy's got an alleged push lined up for him.

I've heard you talk about Rick - I know he's got cred, and it'll set up for a tag challenge later on.

...But the champs have to take one, and Masky don't mind losing for the good of the plot.

Ah-ha. Yeah.

Why not?

Bailey is old and Vessey is working Japan. Makes more sense for the face team to win.

Whistler will retire soon.

Frank is more useful.

Good Old School Principal beats weak Ring General.

Good Ring General beats weak Old School Principal.

Complete guesses.

Here's the 24-hour notification folks- had a busy few days so this kind of fell by the wayside, but now I've got back on track

Now for Tiberious' question!

For Whistler: "Whistler, you've had great success over your career winning numerous titles including three reigns as Empire Champion. Do you feel like you have anything left to accomplish before your eventual retirement?"

Whistler: Honestly? Not really. I mean, I ain't planning on retiring any time soon, but I'm at that stage in my career where it's not about accomplishing anything more. I'm here because I want to be here, and I'll keep working 'til it either stops being fun or I'm no longer allowed.

Archived