New York City Wrestling: Old School Lives On

Steve Flash © vs. Cameron Vessey for the NYCW Empire Championship

Andre Jones vs. Honest Frank

Des Davids & Sam ‘The Shark’ Ford vs. The Towers of Power

The Sensational Singh vs. Black Hat Bailey

Remmy Honeyman vs. Dazzling Dave Diamond vs. Rick Sanders vs. Philippe LaGrenier © for the NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship

Tamara McFly © vs. Amber Allen vs. Eve Grunge vs. Emma Bitch for the NYCW Women's Championship

Marv Statler vs. Eddie Howard

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to say guys, that my computer's had another of it's perennial nervous breakdowns and is currently in getting looked at (long story short it couldn't detect the hard drive or something). Hopefully everything will be fine and I'll get it back and working again, but in any case the show won't be going up tonight as promised.

Okay guys, bad news.

As I mentioned in my last post, my computer went down earlier this week and needed to have it's hard drive replaced. This is done (and for very cheap too, which is nice) but whilst I have the game back the save file for this game was lost, which means I can't continue. The next show will go up as a courtesy, to give this some kind of closure, but after that I'll be looking to move onto a new project as I feel like I've still got a lot of creative juice in the tank. So, the current plan is to relaunch this dynasty with the same basic format, some familiar names (Cameron Vessey and The Towers of Power WILL be turning up again at some point, as will other gimmicks I liked such as Sam 'The Shark' Ford and probably Phil LaGrenier). Look for that to go up some time over the weekend- as I say, I'm feeling kind of inspired, and a lot of the basis of the format I've already got.

NYCW Queens County Massacre

Live to DVD from The Ministry

Saturday, Week 4, November

Audience: 1,000 (SOLD OUT!)

Pre-Show/DVD Extras

Urban Insects vs. The Atlantic Connection

This was a quick dark match to see if the Connection have improved any since their last bout. Good news is, you can expect to see them back on the main card any day now- this was a huge step up on their previous matches for us. The big thing was that both of them have managed to improve their movesets to the point where they’re no longer losing the audience, although it’s worth pointing out that their experience as a team added a lot to this match. As for their opponents, Ant-Man’s not really showing a lot of improvement despite a lot of work, which would be vaguely disappointing if he didn’t have the intangibles to make up for it; The Doll, meanwhile, remains a solid competitor who can be relied upon to deliver a solid match in just about any circumstances, which is partially why I’ve kept him down the card- he’d be a solid midcard guy but down here he can hold the matches together whilst the younger guys work on improving their craft. CJ took the win here, catching Ant-Man with the Shoulder Jawbreaker before going for the pin whilst Riley held the Doll off.

Winners: The Atlantic Connection Match Rating: D

The Show

Philippe LaGrenier vs. Rick Sanders vs. Dazzling Dave Diamond vs. Remmy Honeyman

This was a great match, which was really only to be expected when you look at these four guys- three of them are future stars of the company and the fourth is one of our top veterans and a guy we can always depend on to deliver. As you might expect this match turned into simultaneous singles matches as the feuding pairs went for each other from the off, ignoring the other opponents in favour of duffing over their rival. Of course that wasn’t always the case, as every time there was an attempted pin or submission hold everything went on hold as the other guys rushed to break it up. As for offence, Phil and Dave stuck to their usual brawling whilst Remmy and Rick traded holds, making for an interesting variety showcasing our two preferred style of wrestling in the same match. As for the finish, this one ended in classic fashion- Phil dropped Dave at ringside with a Grenier Bomb on the floor whilst Rick dropped Remmy with a Rick Sanders Low Blow, only for Phil to scoot into the ring and grab a quick roll-up with an extra handful of tights to secure the win and keep hold of his title.

Winner: Philippe LaGrenier Match Rating: C-

From there we’re headed back to the Promo Position to hear from Kristen Pearce

“You really never change, do you Hannah? New company, same old egomaniac. And yeah, nobody could deny the fact that your boys Natural Storm are dangerous, but you really think The Ring Generals have held the NYCW Tag Team Titles over a year because they’re lucky? Simple facts: Marv Statler, Dean Waldorf? They’re the best tag team out there right now. And tonight, it might be one-on-one, but don’t even think that makes your job easier. That ring is a battlefield, and they don’t call Marv Statler a Ring General for nothing”

Like Hannah, Kristen’s enjoying the value of her time in Supreme- this got a really good reaction.

Rating: C-

Marv Statler vs. Eddie Howard

Whilst it’s true that these guys are generally more tag-oriented than singles competitors they’re both very dependable individual workers, as this match demonstrated. Not that it’s really all that surprising- Eddie in particular has developed into a good ring general for our level (and isn’t that ironic, huh?), and whilst Marv could do with a little more improvement in his offence his fundamentals are outstanding at any level. Plus we had the unexpected bonus of good chemistry, which added an extra fluency and crispness to a power vs. technique story that’s always been something of a speciality of ours. Plus, of course, we had two of our best (and most attractive, not that I’ll ever let Tammy hear me saying that) managers running around at ringside raising a little heck, which always makes for an entertaining bout. For the finish, we decided to get both managers involved- when Kristen got up to the apron to protest Hannah’s latest bit of rule breaking Eddie was quick to nail her with an ‘accidental’ elbow to the head, and with Kristen down nobody could stop Hannah distracting the ref long enough for Eddie to slip a chair into the ring and nail Statler with it. One pinfall later and Natural Storm once again held a singles victory over the champs.

Winner: Eddie Howard Match Rating: D+

We’re in Whistler’s Office, where he’s apparently concerned with paperwork when Honest Frank bursts in, clearly doing a good job of concealing his rage

“Oh Frank, it’s you. Was wondering when you’d come bursting in here making demands. What do you want now?”

“Hey, Whistler, when did I ever make demands that weren’t one hundred per cent fair? I’m not that kinda guy. I just want to make sure I get fair treatment, is all. Speaking of, how come I haven’t got my title shot yet?”

“Title shot? What makes you think you’re owed a title shot? Last I looked, there was no contract signed anywhere guaranteeing you that match”

“All I’m saying is, I’ve beaten poor old Flashy twice now, and yet I’m still yet to get that title match I should surely be owed. I mean, what kind of a sadist puts a broken-down old man like Steve through such unnecessary opponents as Danny Rushmore or Cameron Vessey when he should be putting his feet up? It’s just torture is what it is”

“Oh for…look, we’ve been bringing in new names like crazy over the last few months, I’ve had to make all sorts of deals to get our bouts through as is, NYSSAC are riding my @ss something crazy right now. How’s this, okay? We both know you’re booked in against Andre Jones tonight, and we both know his pedigree. You beat him, I figure that secures you a number one contender slot without any problems, right? You beat the Super Athlete, you gotta be considered our top contender.”

“That’ll…I guess that’ll do, Whistler. I mean, how hard can beating one guy be? Especially when you’re as good as I am.”

“Good at wrestling or good at swinging those brass knuckles? I know your game Frank, if the rules of this company didn’t preclude it I’d make d@mn sure every victory you got was revoked”

“Now that’s not fair Whistler- you know as well as I do what that would take. And thanks for the title shot- Super Athlete or no, we both know what I’ll do to him”

For those of you wondering, NYCW rules make it virtually impossible to overrule a referee’s decision, regardless of whether rules were broken- this dates back to Stomper’s run as champ back in the 90’s.

Rating: D+

Tamara McFly vs. Amber Allen vs. Eve Grunge vs. Emma Bitch

This was as dependable as all our women’s title matches are, but doesn’t really help me sort out our top heel problem. It’s fair to say that Goldie’s time with the company is coming to an end- she’s a solid worker but just doesn’t fit in with our product- and our other heels are in a very similar position. Emma has the charisma but lacks the fundamentals, whilst Eve is a more-than-competent worker but lacks the charisma or star presence to come off as a top heel. In any case they’re both good enough to stick around, and we’re certainly not stuck for quality faces. Amber in particular shows all the signs of developing into a great worker, and if I can find her a good manager to handle the mic work there’s no reason why she shouldn’t be women’s champion by this time next year. Tammy got the win here, nailing the McFly Roll on Eve whilst Amber had Emma locked in the Trapped in Amber. What’s more, video replay showed that Emma was tapping as Tammy went for the pinfall, something that Amber was predictably none too pleased about.

Winner: Tamara McFly Match Rating: D+

It’s promo time again, as we’re headed back to hear from Jennifer Williams

“You’re a smart guy, Singh, I’ll give you that. Any other man up against Cameron Vessey, they’d panic. But you, you knew he was too tough to beat straight up so you got inside his head, played your little mind games and beat him that way. Real cunning, smart guy. Problem is, tonight you’re up against Black Hat Bailey, and your little tricks aren’t gonna work on him. Tonight, it’s all about the wrestling, and Bailey is gonna break you in half. Tonight you find out just what it means to take on The Old School, because tonight you will see just why Old School Rules”

Jenny’s a good talker, and with Bailey adding his menace this got a good reaction, but you can’t help but compare this to the reception Kristen and Hannah get.

Black Hat Bailey vs. The Sensational Singh

This continued our run of good, solid match-ups. Okay, so maybe Bailey’s done better in the past, but back then he was being pushed as our top heel, rather than the elder statesman/upper midcard role he’s occupying now. It’s also worth pointing out that he’s been on a bit of a losing streak ever since he dropped the title- not intentionally, mind you, but he hasn’t won a match since July. As for Singh, he’s one of our best but doesn’t have the overness of Frank or Steve and it tends to show in the heat he gets. As it was, this was a good, solid bout- heck, we used to have semi-mains this good- that was built largely around Bailey’s preferred slow, technical style, with Singh foregoing his usual flamboyance and mind games in favour of straight-up hold-for-hold wrestling. That’s not to say he foreswore any of his usual tricks, though, as once again he flirted shamelessly with Jenny Williams, throwing her way off her game and rendering her speechless on a regular basis. In the end, it was this managerial distraction that got Singh the victory- Jenny was so outraged by his treatment that she missed Bailey trying to nail Singh with a boot from behind, with the net result being that when Singh dodged the move Jenny was on the receiving end. With his manager down Bailey had no-one to run interference for him, and when Singh hit the Cal-Cutter a few moments later there was nobody to distract the ref from the three-count.

Winner: The Sensational Singh Match Rating: D+

We’re once again back in Whistler’s office, where we find an already irate Cameron Vessey in discussion with the Director of Authority

“Give me one good reason why I can’t get my hands on Singh right now, d@mmit!”

“You mean, apart from the fact that he’s already been booked once tonight? I dunno Cam, maybe it’s the fact that I just don’t trust you. I know what The Old School is like for rule breaking, and I’ll be damned if I let it happen on my watch. So tonight is a no-go- I see you anywhere near Singh and you are fired, you understand me?”

“You can’t fire me, Whistler, you don’t have the kind of power”

“Wanna bet, kiddo? Don’t forget, your contract’s with NYCW, not The Old School. Jennifer Williams might talk like she’s all powerful but you start throwing your weight around and I have no problem throwing you out of the building, you got that?”

Cam looks about ready to haul off and punch Whistler, but manages to hold himself back

“Fine. I’m not allowed to mess that little rat-b@stard s face up tonight, how about next month? Fairytale of New York, him and me one on one. Is that acceptable?”

“See, that I can get behind. Two stars of the future duking it out in one of our showcase events of the year? You’re playing my kind of tune, kid. Next month, I’ll give you that match against Singh, just the way you want it. Heck, I won’t even ban Jen from ringside, Singh seems to like having her around”

Cam scowls and storms out, slamming the door angrily. As for reaction, this one was alright- nothing amazing but hardly a disaster.

Rating: D

The Towers of Power vs. Des Davids & Sam ‘The Shark’ Ford

Note to self: when looking at main events, The Towers of Power are guaranteed quality. Turns out that A* tag experience, combined with solid intangibles and a lot of brawling skill makes for one heck of a match-up. Of course, this one wasn’t all down to the Towers- both Sam and Des are solid workers, with Sam in particular standing out as a very promising all-rounder. Okay, so maybe Des is kind of one dimensional, and pretty darn ropy in terms of fundamentals and charisma, but he’s got the energy and power to work the hot tag and big save pretty well. That was largely the story we went with here- The Towers used their size and power advantage to cut the ring in half and pummel Sam, throwing him around and unleashing a whole barrage of big power moves. The Shark hung on, though, going on the offensive every chance he got and fighting as hard as he could to make the tag, even as Mick and Danny cut him off time and again. Eventually, though, he was able to lure Mick into tossing him over the top rope, activating a Texas Tag to Des Davids. The Colt came out like a house on fire, throwing out big power offence that had the Towers reeling, but when he went for the Quarterback Sack Danny was able to catch him with the Atomic Boot, dropping him like a stone. Mick followed up with the Bulldozer Powerbomb (Running Crucifix Powerbomb), and nobody’s ever managed to come back from taking both moves in a row.

Winners: The Towers of Power Match Rating: C

It’s Promo time again, as we head backstage to hear from Honest Frank

“Welcome to NYCW, Andre Jones, and I’d just like to say I’m sorry. You see, if I win tonight then I get my shot at Steve Flash, so I’m not going to lose tonight. Now, I know you’re looking to win this one, make an impact in your NYCW debut, but it’s just gonna happen, I’m sorry. I mean, people call you a failure, an ex-Supreme worker who went nowhere and accomplished nothing, but me, I just figure you don’t get the breaks. That won’t be any different tonight, I’m afraid- I’m just that good. No tricks, no fouls, no dirty fighting, tonight I’m just gonna have to beat you fair and square to get my shot. And believe me, this is gonna be completely fair

“After all…Would I Lie to You?”

This was a good effort from Frank.

Honest Frank vs. Andre Jones

I’m hoping this was a case of debut nerves from Jones; that way it was a one-off disappointment and not a sign of things to come. Not that this was a bad match, mind you, but it was an uncomfortable reminder of the first half of the year when Whistler would be in the semi-main delivering weaker matches than half the midcard. That probably says more about our midcard than our top guys, though, and this was a solid match that served as a solid intro to Andre’s style. That style is admittedly a little bland; he’s a solid brawler with a little technique but doesn’t have anything really flash about him (apart from his vertical leap- as you might expect from a volleyball player, and his intangibles aren’t amazing. He’s not a bad wrestler, though, and hopefully once he’s settled into the company he’ll start performing at a slightly higher level. As for Frank, he knows his role perfectly and always delivers what you’d expect of him- a good, solid brawl with lots of entertainment value and more than few dirty tricks. Okay, so maybe that makes him a little predictable, but predictably entertaining is better than a guy with a lot of variety but no consistency. Story-wise, though, this match was really just about showing what Andre could do; he dominated for most of the match, using his superior athleticism to outmanoeuvre Frank and unleashing rapid-fire volleys of palm strikes and kicks to keep Frank off balance before lining him up for the Blast From the Past (Double Knee Facebreaker). Unfortunately for Andre Frank took the wind out of his sails quite neatly with a well-timed eye rake as he went up for the move. Frank then moved to distract the ref, ‘accidentally’ pulling a turnbuckle pad down, and whilst Michael was busy fixing it Frank went straight for the Brass Knuckles Punch, putting Andre down for the 3-count.

Winner: Honest Frank Match Rating: D+

Cameron Vessey vs. Steve Flash

After the minor disappointment of Andre/Frank I was hoping this one would be up to our usual main event standard, and boy was it. New best match ever and a definite front-runner for my next Empire Title feud- that is, of course, if we can keep Cameron that long. He’s currently signed on for another tour of Japan, this time with GCG, and given how popular he became after his first tour there’s a solid chance that he’ll wind up getting poached by one of the majors to go over there full-time after this next tour. Still, that’s not guaranteed, and whilst we’ve got him we might as well get as much out of Cameron as possible. As for Steve, he’s easily one of our best workers, and whilst he’s showing his age just a little (usual stuff, really: not quite the athlete he used to be and his power’s down a little) that doesn’t take away from his all-round ability and excellent fundamentals. It’s also worth mentioning the fact that Steve’s still in pretty good physical condition- a lot of our older names have shown considerable wear and tear (Bailey’s knees are going and Lee’s back was part of the reason he retired), which tends to drag down their matches, but so far Steve’s managed to avoid those kind of physical limitations.

Story-wise, we played up Cam’s rage and Steve’s veteran wiles; Vessey was quick to go on the offensive, pounding away at Steve before nailing the Vessey Driver, but Steve’s veteran wiles enabled him to get a foot to the ropes, breaking the fall. Naturally enough that drove Cam into a rage (as everything seems to these days- ironically he’s incredibly even-tempered in real life), and he did his best to break Steve in half, unleashing yet more strikes along with increasingly vicious technical offence. Unfortunately for Cameron, though, the shift to technique was one that favoured Steve, and it wasn’t long before the champ was in control of the match, taking Cam to the mat and working over his legs in preparation for the Sharpshooter. Of course, when Steve locked the hold on Jen was straight up onto the apron to distract the ref, but Steve had the hold locked on in the middle of the ring and without aid it was difficult for Cam to break free (and Steve wasn’t stupid enough to break the hold and turn his attention to Cam’s manager), forcing Jen to eventually enter the ring and clobber Steve across the head to break the hold. Mike got her out of the ring fairly quickly, and in the interval Steve caught Cam offguard with the Flash Bang, going for the pin before Jennifer could get a handle on what was happening and break the fall.

Winner: Steve Flash Match Rating: C

Overall Rating: C-, with a fantastic main event balancing out a lacklustre semi-main.

Yeah, the Towers are just interesting in NYCW from a story perspective. They're big names relatively, they're powerful, they're NYCW, and they're going to come into significant success, possibly outside a tag division which is arguably beneath them.

And in many ways that's genuinely cool.

Archived