Bellator type-format

I like tournies for guys on losing streaks as one will come out on a winning streak and it doesn't mess the rest up.

The other good use for tournies that I've found is for rookies as the winner has a good chance of winning Rookie of the Year award.

Remember though that if you use 8 of your top 10 guys in a tournie, 7 of them won't be a good draw the next time you need them. It is a bit of a waste as well because the Main Event and Co-ME which actually sell your show can't be promoted with a tournie.

Well I just started it and yea I see the part about 7 guys getting losses being a problem, but I have not scheduled the whole tourny for one show. I started a LW tourny and had my opening round fights (the 4 quarterfinal fights) and a title fight on the main card (Bellator didn't have a LHW Belt so I created one and had a fight for it). My 2nd card is planned now with 2 MW tournament fights as Main and Comain, then a HW title fight, then the 2 other tournament fights to round out the main card. I'm trying to keep from doing 1 night tournaments because Bellator doesn't do them in one night. I was wondering if peopl have tried this and had success.

I tend to pit winners against winners and it works great so it's similar to what you plan on doing then.

You can do lots of things on paper or in your head but the game won't judge it different to a normally booked card.

It is useful to have guys on winning streaks and the only way to ensure that happens is by having winners fight winners.

So if you run the 8 man knock out how you say it shouldn't have any real impact.

You can also create as many belts as you want so theoretically each year you could make the final for a different belt and it will show in their achievements.

Mine isn't like Bellator, but I run a season-like game. I have eight divisions, and run 2 events a month. Each event is a one-night tournament for a division, split up by other fights in that division. So...

Welterweight 1 would have a 8-man championship tournament, and also some non-qualifying fighters would battle it out around the tournament fights. The winner would go onto the next tournament as the defending champ. I basically take the top 8 ranked fighters, minus anybody on a losing streak (they'd have to re-earn entry outside the tourny).

Then Lightweight 1, Heavyweight 1...etc, etc, until I get to Welterweight 2 (which would start season 2) and do the cycle all other again. Not particularly realistic, but it's a lot of fun thus far.

EDIT:

Also, when I do Grand Prix's in a regular-format game, I just use one title to represent all Grand Prix's. Just change the weight/gender limits for each time you need it. That lets it pop up in their achievements.

I have had a Bellator dynasty in the past and want to do another one soon. I also play as bellator fairly often. You do end up with a ton of your fighters coming off losses, but it's not hard to work around that. I just keep running tournaments, and when some of my more exciting fighters or more popular guys get beat, I'll get them tuneup prelim fights against other guys with losses or with newcomers trying to get into a future tournament.

I also bring a lot of fresh blood for the tournaments, so my roster turns over quite a bit. But in real life Bellator does it the same way with their stalwarts getting non-tourney wins later in the season, and filling the tournaments up with those vets and prospects on hot streaks.

The real pain is the way TV deals work, which doesn't facilitate weekly shows. That's something I hope will be changed for the next version. As it is now I'll create three different Bellator tv shows in the editor, so I can at least book 3 weeks ahead.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Tag01" data-cite="Tag01" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33511" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have had a Bellator dynasty in the past and want to do another one soon. I also play as bellator fairly often. You do end up with a ton of your fighters coming off losses, but it's not hard to work around that. I just keep running tournaments, and when some of my more exciting fighters or more popular guys get beat, I'll get them tuneup prelim fights against other guys with losses or with newcomers trying to get into a future tournament. <p> </p><p> I also bring a lot of fresh blood for the tournaments, so my roster turns over quite a bit. But in real life Bellator does it the same way with their stalwarts getting non-tourney wins later in the season, and filling the tournaments up with those vets and prospects on hot streaks. </p><p> </p><p> <strong>The real pain is the way TV deals work, which doesn't facilitate weekly shows. That's something I hope will be changed for the next version. As it is now I'll create three different Bellator tv shows in the editor, so I can at least book 3 weeks ahead</strong>.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Funny thing, in WMMA1 when you signed a contract for a TV Show you had to pick between a Weekly, Monthly or TV Special (the current type) TV schedule.</p>

<p>Right now I'm doing one-night tournament formats, with my main show being my overall champion vs the last tournament's champion with the top 8 available contracted workers (who aren't getting cut, but those who are usually nowhere near my top 10) getting put in a random draw, and my TV show is another tournamentfor braggin rights but features workers directly underneath the top ten.</p><p> </p><p>

The exception to this is my last show of the year, where all the top 25 (minus champion and challenger, as well as those being cut) are drawn at random for both tournaments, the draw being that people who have been alternates and prelim fighters for the whole year still have a shot at the main title.</p><p> </p><p>

The benefit to this is, the champion and/or the tournament winner will be at least #3 PFP (currently the champ is #1 PFP), especially as my promotion is all women.</p>

<p>I've done somewhat similar to the Bellator style quite frequently.</p><p> </p><p>

I'll run 6 weight classes, one event per month, which guarantees that a champion will defend the belt twice a year. Each event includes a tournament of the top eight contenders (decided by reputation alone), with fights between the other division competitors breaking up the rounds and filling in the preliminary card. The tournament final serves as the co-main event, with the title fight in the main event. The winner of the tournament fights the champion at that weight class's next event.</p><p> </p><p>

It's always worked well for me. Most recently, I was able to build ProElite using JTMoney's mod to a clear #2 in the world, using strictly non-Zuffa talent. Pretty fun, works well.</p><p> </p><p>

Oh, and, I also seed the tournament entrants by reputation. So, if the reputations of the fighters are 84, 82, 77, 76, 74, 68, 65, and 62, 84 would fight 62 in the first round, matched up with the winner of 76 and 74 in the second round, and so on.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Tag01" data-cite="Tag01" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="33511" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I have had a Bellator dynasty in the past and want to do another one soon. I also play as bellator fairly often. You do end up with a ton of your fighters coming off losses, but it's not hard to work around that. I just keep running tournaments, and when some of my more exciting fighters or more popular guys get beat, I'll get them tuneup prelim fights against other guys with losses or with newcomers trying to get into a future tournament. <p> </p><p> I also bring a lot of fresh blood for the tournaments, so my roster turns over quite a bit. But in real life Bellator does it the same way with their stalwarts getting non-tourney wins later in the season, and filling the tournaments up with those vets and prospects on hot streaks. </p><p> </p><p> The real pain is the way TV deals work, which doesn't facilitate weekly shows. That's something I hope will be changed for the next version. As it is now I'll create three different Bellator tv shows in the editor, so I can at least book 3 weeks ahead.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This is exactly how I do it. I have 11 divisions and run 11 tourneys, 1-2 times a year. The trick is to keep refreshing your talent crop with YOUNG talent. (need less recoup time, won't take 3-12mo hiatus in middle of your tourney) In my Bellator game I bought DREAM for the specific purpose of making sure I never had too many losers on my roster. I'd steal their champs and replace them with losing Japanese stars and semi-talented gaijin who need wins but I don't have card space to give them.</p><p> </p><p> Another thing that's challenging about Bellator is their champions can only fight once a year. Usually the challengers are bigger names then they are come defense time. This can really cripple your ablility to build stars. And has kept me from breaking Mid-National. (Which is realistic, to be fair)</p><p> </p><p> I've had a lot of fun though. But I'd only recommend it for experienced players who know the game world. Saves time sorting through prospects...</p>

I run a tournament on every single show I do. I mostly run tournaments with unranked guys with around 50% reputation. This way, the winner generally comes out not only ranked but ranked well.

I recently had to start a new game because my hard drive crashed, so now that I'm back in 1998 I've been signing a bunch of undefeated fighters to short contracts, then I hold "Undefeated" tournament events with SIGMA. Those shows have done fairly well for me, and it gives me a nice undefeated contender.

I was holding losing steak tournaments in my old game save. Now, I just cut them.

I once played a game similar to Rebby's 'season' mode. Basically, I don't like the idea of titles in MMA. Take GSP for instance: he hasn't defended in, what, a full year now? A lot can happen in a year, and a title is supposed to represent the 'best'. We don't even know whether he's still the best.

Anyhow, there can still be a couple of rules to allow us to have a Bellator-type format. Given its rising popularity (as the nr 2 promotion) Adam will probably implement these little changes to the booking schedule.

I once played a game similar to Rebby's 'season' mode. Basically, I don't like the idea of titles in MMA. Take GSP for instance: he hasn't defended in, what, a full year now? A lot can happen in a year, and a title is supposed to represent the 'best'. We don't even know whether he's still the best.

A title belt is ultra important to promotions like Bellator, Strikeforce, and the UFC because it mandates the champion has to, in Bellator's case, stay under contract proprietorially for (at minimum)4 years, and in the UFC's case, "in perpetuity." While it is gross, remember that without the champion's clause the UFC would be Anderson Silva-less. And without belts, Randy Couture would be a meh-.600 fighter historically.

Also, on the GSP front, I'm pretty sure he could walk into the cage tomorrow bum-legged and LnP his way to a win over Condit, and 95% of the UFC roster for that matter.

Shooto only allows their champions to defend the belt once per-year. and have divided their belts up by region. (Brasil, Pacific Rim, etc) Belts can mean whatever you want them to mean. They're just something tangible to notify the layman "Hey, this dude has accomplished something ." Not, "this dude is the greatest dude alive right now."

My main beef with them is the minute I see one I think, "That dude's a Pro Wrestler" not "That dude is a MMA fighter"

I'm going to start doing one night 8-man tournaments when I'm looking to expand my roster in whatever weight division.

So, I'll hire 8 people that look interesting, and the winner of the tournament will get a spot on my roster for at least a 5 fight deal. And if they're doing well when it comes around to re-sign them, I will.

I just figure it's a cool way for a big national company to offer spots to unknowns, and get them some exposure on the National stage.

Sounds more fun than my, "check the world rankings and shortlist the top 25 in each weight division every so often, and then hire them when their contract runs out." Which is how I've gotten 75% of the competitive credibility....

I think I will also put everyone with 1 fight left on their deal that are on losing streaks in a one night tournament, and cut everyone but the winner. :)

A title belt is ultra important to promotions like Bellator, Strikeforce, and the UFC because it mandates the champion has to, in Bellator's case, stay under contract proprietorially for (at minimum)4 years, and in the UFC's case, "in perpetuity." While it is gross, remember that without the champion's clause the UFC would be Anderson Silva-less. And without belts, Randy Couture would be a meh-.600 fighter historically.

Also, on the GSP front, I'm pretty sure he could walk into the cage tomorrow bum-legged and LnP his way to a win over Condit, and 95% of the UFC roster for that matter.

Shooto only allows their champions to defend the belt once per-year. and have divided their belts up by region. (Brasil, Pacific Rim, etc) Belts can mean whatever you want them to mean. They're just something tangible to notify the layman "Hey, this dude has accomplished something ." Not, "this dude is the greatest dude alive right now."

My main beef with them is the minute I see one I think, "That dude's a Pro Wrestler" not "That dude is a MMA fighter"

You are obviously right in saying that. I do realise the marketing aspect and the champion clause. But like you mention, it does seem a little out of place. Especially in the lower leagues I find it to be a problem (well, not a 'problem' but it's just off). Every promotion has belts, some of which are in fact held by 1-0 / 1-1 / 2-0 fighters. I mean, come on... :p

What I actually meant to say is I don't like titles in WMMA, where you don't have to worry about people stealing your workers.

I did a pretty cool way for tournaments. I created a copy fo the default database, created the UFC made them mid national and every other rog is my child promotion and I put on fantasy booking.

I take the top 8 guys from each weight class and do 4 fights per weight class per card with a card every 3 weeks. The winners advance and the losers fight each other on the next card for that weight class. Then I crown my champion.

Afterwards I call up the other fighters ranked in the top 8 again and send down to various promotions the guys that are no longer ranked high enough.

After crowning my champion in each weight class he goes back into the tournament to defend his title.

rinse and repeat.

Just having fun.

Archived