21st Century Wrestling: The Fat of the Land

21st Century Wrestling: The Fat of the Land

(How I became a pro-wrestling booker and ruined a company/hated/loved every second of it)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e63/consortium11/21fat3_zpsde2d452d.jpg

(OOC: First things first.

I'm not very good at this game.

I've been playing since the EWR days (there may even be one of my really old EWR diaries kicking around somewhere... Heartland Wrestling Association if I remember correctly...) and I've given all of the TEW's a swift kickabout... but I'm not very good. What that means is you can expect incompetence, stalling momentum, plummeting popularity, talent on strike, viewers on a different channel and my head in my hands at least twice an update. If you're looking at a booking decision I made and thinking “huh... why on earth did he do that?”... then you're probably right, there was no good reason to do that.

As always with these things thoughts, comments and opinions are of course welcome... and appreciated.)

“You see Jeff... I can call you Jeff, can't I Jeff? You see Jeff we really want something a bit, well... different.”

The office was slick... exactly what you'd expect from a TV Network's public meeting room. Slick table slick neutral walls with slick inoffensive pieces of art on them, slick windows, slick leather chairs with slick men in slick suits with slicked back hair sat on them. These were the men who thought “targeting key demographics” was a commonly used phrase, who struggled to make a decision without first sitting through a PowerPoint presentation, men who's minds were filled with charts and graphs and industry surveys and test audience reactions and ratings scales.

Which made the hulking figure of Jeff Nova rather incongruous as he squashed himself into one of those leather chairs.

“Different?”

There wasn't exactly a threat in Nova's voice. Not exactly. When you were his size and had the presence he did one didn't need to put much effort into implying ones disagreement. If he noticed the tone, the young TV executive didn't appear to care. Jeff Nova may have been able to break him in half with one hand but he was in the executive's realm now.

“You've done a great job with 21CW. Hit the demographics, produced strong ratings, developed attractions in key markets. We want you to continue with that. But I think we need a fresh set of eyes in there.”

“Fresh eyes?”

His tone had dropped slightly, his displeasure more evident. Still the executive continued.

“Yes, fresh eyes. What is it that wrestling types call your scriptwriter... a booker? That's it isn't it, a booker.”

“Yes, a booker.”

“And your booker is...?”

“Pit Bull Brown”

“A wrestler. And he's been there how long...?”

“Since the start.”

“Exactly. He's part of the furniture. You need something new... something a bit fresh... a change of perspective.”

“If you're thinking about bringing in Samurai or Warrior you've got...”

“No, no, nothing like that Jeff.”

“Who then. One of the other vetera...”

“No, no. We were thinking from outside wrestling.”

“Outside wrestling?”

“Indeed. You yourself showed how effective a man looking in from the outside can be when given the reigns. We did our due diligence work before supporting you here. We know that wrestling can be an extremely insular environment. Look at those other organisations you took over... what were they... oh, yes, MOSC and RoF. They had their niche market and scored highly in those small areas but never progressed. They were content. And in the TV business one can never be content Jeff. You know that. I'm sure this “Pit Bull Brown” is a fine man, but he is a wrestler and one who has been within that fishbowl for years. We need something fresh. Not to change everything of course... you've shown a fine mind for it and you'll still have overall control. But something a little different.”

“So who do you have in mind?”

“Well... him...”

And a long, expertly exfoliated metrosexual finger pointed to a person across the room.

And that's how I became head booker at 21'st Century Wrestling.

I wouldn't call myself a complete neophyte to the wrestling world. I knew who Sam Strong was. I knew about Rip Cord. I'd watched some SWF and some TCW in my time. I'd seen highlight videos of Japanese matches between guys with names I couldn't pronounce where they appeared to spend the whole time dropping each other on their heads and roaring. I knew a bit.

But a booker? To have to actually put a show together? To manage these wrestlers? To plan stories?

That was something I wasn't expecting.

But I guess this was it. A chance to sink or swim... and it the cut throat world of being a TV executive chances to actually prove yourself were few and far between. Here I'd have some control, unlike being a senior junior vice assistant consultant on whatever dodgy reality TV show was doing the rounds that month. 21st Century Wrestling or Celebrity Bar Tending? For a brief moment I felt a sudden surge of confidence go through my body.

And then Jeff looked at me, big powerful eyes gazing into my own.

“Him?”

And that confidence suddenly seemed misplaced...

-------------------------------

Fresh from the meeting (and a very painful handshake from Mr Nova... I wasn't brave enough to call him Jeff), it was time to consider what I'd let myself in for. The joys of a 21st Century world (for 21st Century Wrestling, boom) meant that all it took was a few quick keystrokes on my office computer and a wealth of information was open to me.

Company Name: 21st Century Wrestling

Owner: Jeff Nova

Size: Cult

Ranking: 6th

Money: $5,000,000

Prestige: 70

Momentum: 77

Harry Brown (a rather nicer man than his “Pit Bull” moniker had first suggested) hadn't exactly been thrilled when told that he'd “lost the book” but he was helpful enough in explaining what everything meant. We were a pretty big company (the bank account if nothing else showed that) but not a truly huge one. We might be getting towards house hold name status in the UK but we weren't there yet... in my own language we hadn't quite hit tea station territory... would the average man in an office mention watching us the night before when making a cup of tea. That said we had momentum on our side and looked to be going places.

(Unless I messed this up.)

But what sort of show would I be running. Would it be full of hard hitting action, of elbows and knees to faces while each moved slammed the opponent on their head? Would it be full of lighting fast aerial battles, wrestlers swooping in with grace and beauty? Would it be full of technical wrestling, of hold and counter-hold, of sweeps and armlocks, of grappling and trips? Would it be full of beer and blood, chairs swinging, tables breaking, ladders collapsing?

No, not really.

Instead it was “UK Sports Entertainment”.

Mainstream: Key Feature

Traditional: Heavy

Comedy: Heavy

Risque: Medium

Cult: Low

Hardcore: Low

Daredevil: Low

The end effect of this was that I would be asked to put out what was essentially mainstream T.V. There was still a place for wrestling... it wasn't a show where the wrestling would be entirely forgotten about... but simply being a great technical wrestler wasn't enough. Sure, we'd like you to have the basics but what was more important was “connecting with the audience”. It was a product which would need to be simple... good vs bad, right vs wrong, clearly lines that may or may not be crossed... and each character memorable... if nothing else because surely that would move merchandise. Simple, entertaining, a hint of risk, a hint that your mother might not like the entire show, but something that a father and son could sit down together and watch on a Thursday evening and not be ashamed about.

The next thing to consider was the roster. Once again, this had been helpfully broken down for me, along with a brief breakdown of what each performer was good... or not so good... at. I thought I'd concentrate on those currently seen as being my stars and those who hold the title belts.

Main Event

Adam Matravers

"Mile High" Adam Matravers is a talented all-round worker who is considered one of the most naturally talented UK worker of his generation. After gaining a lot of rave reviews for his tag team work with Petey Barnes in ROF (as The Show Stealers), Matravers got his big break when 21CW signed him as part of their plan to dominate the British market and got behind him with a big push. Winning all three of 21CW's available title belts within three years, Matravers has gone on to become one of the promotion's most prized assets.

(Seemingly the poster boy for the promotion. Good in the ring, right look, bit of that “X-factor” to him. Not the best with the microphone but there were ways round that.)

Dark Angel

Dark Angel (Clifford Wilson) is a world-renowned talent who, over the course of a lengthy and distinguished career, has had massive success in the UK, North America and Japan. He is most closely associated with NOTBPW and GCG, where the majority of his success has come, and is widely regarded as one of the elite junior workers who have ever wrestled.

Approaching the end of his career, Angel returned to the UK in 2012 to take up permanent residence and work for the fast-rising 21CW promotion. While his ring style has been toned down due to age and injury, he still remains a superb ring general.

(A supreme ring worker. If he hadn't made his name elsewhere then I'd question whether he's the type of performer we want for our show, not being naturally charismatic (although he does have “it” to an extent) but he's already established and his ring work will help develop other performers who lack his technical skill but outperform him away from the ring in front of the camera)

DJ Reason

DJ Reason is a a charismatic brawler who has found much success in the UK, particularly with MOSC and latterly with 21CW. He used to work simply as "The Reason", but he changed that later on to reflect his real life talent as a night club DJ, and it is under his new name that he has found his greatest fame as one of the top babyfaces in Jeff Nova's fast rising 21CW promotion.

(Strong all-around. Decent in the ring... especially when throwing punches... charismatic, good talker, has “it”.)

Edward Cornell:

Edward "The Business" Cornell is the younger cousin of the legendary Tommy Cornell. Unfortunately for Eddie, that means that he is constantly compared to "Rough Justice", a comparison that would sink 99% of wrestlers. This has resulted in people overlooking the fact that he is actually a pretty good wrestler in his own right, just not to the point of being as good as his cousin. After making his pro debut in October 2008 and spending the following year developing his skills on independent shows across the UK, Edward signed with Jeff Nova's 21CW promotion, where he has swiftly become one of the most reliable performers and a potential future champion.

(Just like everyone else... probably including himself... I wish he was his cousin. That said he's a strong worker, charismatic... if again, not great on the microphone... and has name value)

Jonathan Faust:

Jonathan Faust is the wrestler formerly known as Rod 'The God' Todd. Under that name, and with an awesome (if controversial) religious gimmick, he worked the UK circuit from 2003 onward, primarily with 21CW. Jeff Nova's takeover of the promotion in 2006 led to a TV contract, and Todd was left off all broadcasts for fear of offending the networks and blowing the crucial deal. Realising his predicament, he morphed into the weasely Jonathan Faust character and has gone on to become a former 21CW world champion and one of their most entertaining acts.

(Not a bad wrestler by any means, but his real skill is outside the ring. In many ways the poster child for what 21CW is about these days)

Joss Thompson

Joss Thompson calls himself "The Complete Package", and it's easy to see why; he combines good wrestling skills with looks and charisma. An American, he struggled on the US independent circuit for a while before heading to the UK to live. He joined MOSC, where his cocky heel character led him to huge success, being one of the most dominant champions for a long time. In 2006 he was cherry-picked by Jeff Nova's revitalised 21CW to be one of its new major stars, and so he left MOSC behind. One of the most integral parts of 21CW's roster, Thompson has been at the forefront of the promotion's rise.

(If you can't find one, steal one from the US. Just about perfect. Great performer in the ring, just as good outside it. A real star)

Kevin Jones

"The MVP" Kevin Jones is a veteran of the UK scene who has become famous as one of the top heels who have helped fuel the rise of 21CW. An extremely solid, reliable performer, he has become a backbone of the company.

Prior to joining 21CW in 2008, Jones was a long-standing member of MOSC. Originally a comedy tag team wrestler, working as Shane Hannigans as one half of the Monkey Business duo, he didn't become a major player until he started using his real name and becoming a serious singles worker. His fine run took him to the top of the promotion and led directly to 21CW making a move to sign him.

(Another solid all-around performer. Good in the ring, not quite as good but perfectly acceptable outside it. Experienced and respected... the sort of man every company needs)

Phillip Cooper

Phillip "Cooper Man" Cooper is a British wrestler from Manchester, England. Known for his flamboyant ring attire, especially his ever-increasing array of awesome hats that he wears during his entrances, Cooper has found a lot of success with 21CW where his egomaniacal character has helped him become one of the most entertaining stars of the TV show that has made the promotion the biggest in Europe.

(Not the greatest wrestler in the world but he's charismatic and again has “it”. And a lot of hats...)

Title Holders

21st Century World

Dark Angel

(My most talented in-ring worker and someone with great name-value)

21st Century United Kingdom

Wade Orson

(A massively talented rookie)

21st Century Tag Team

The Ivanoff Brothers

(A solid upper-midcard tag team with experience and some fairly decent skills)

I glanced through the rest of my employees as well, thoughts popping into my head:

• I have five main eventer heels to three main eventer faces, not helped by there also being five upper-midcard heels to three faces. I don't want to run a heel vs a heel match (who would the crowd cheer for?) so it looks like some heels will either have to slide down the card (in reality if not technically) or prepare to turn face.

• Brickhouse Balder, Danny Patterson, Nightmare, War Machine. That's four huge, powerhouse style workers (all heel), three of whom really need some grooming. Patterson can hold his own and just needs to get his momentum back... but the other three could all do with extra time, training... and even then, will really need to be protected in matches. I could run one monster heel... possibly two... but I struggle to see how three, let alone four would work.

• In Leigh Burton and Wade Orson I have two potentially huge stars with the wrestling skills to match. I just have to make sure they develop well and keep getting better.

That said, with two hours of TV to fill a week and a host of stars which need developing, I can see the need for some new faces... if nothing else to stamp a bit of my own authority on proceedings. So my roving eye goes to the list of performers out there in the world who I haven't already got a bit of the soul of yet. A few leap off the page (or screen...) at me.

Emma Evans: No, she can't wrestle. And no, she's not the most charismatic. But she does have “it”... “it” in this case being a pair of Double D's and the willingness to use them. Have her look pretty at ringside or fire up the live crowd. Eye candy never hurt a promotion like ours.

Melanie Florence: Now this lady can talk. She might not be as likely as Emma Evans to end up on the front cover of a male “lifestyle” magazine or to date a footballer, but she makes up for that by being able to talk. Stick her with someone who struggles a little on the microphone and you have money right there.

Petey Barnes: A solid worker, with the advantage of being incredibly flashy and a bit of a star. Used to team with Matravers but has been left behind since. Worth bringing in, possibly with his current partner Eric Future (who's not quite as talented but still solid enough).

Stefan Raynor: He worked for us previously but never really went anywhere. During his time away he appears to have made something more of himself and has a certain sense of worth about him. I'm not so sure about his partner, Louie Peyton... who I'd only bring in if I was feeling generous.

Riddick Jordan and Alton Vicious: “The Northern Lights” are a rookie tag team but look pretty decent already considering their age. A slow build, but one that may be worth the effort.

Michael Gregory: If we were back in the 80's and looking the part was all that mattered this guy would already be in the Hall of Immortals. Physically he's just about perfect. Technically he's nothing special... but at 19 he's got more than enough time to improve.

Martin Heath and Jon Michael Sharp: Another young tag team. Look to be solid enough in and out of the ring to possibly be worth a punt.

Keith Adams: On paper he's not the right fit for our promotion (which is why he was released years back). An extremely competent grappler who simply isn't that charismatic or great on camera. But I keep seeing him in a police uniform and it screams pro-wrestling TV to me... especially as a policeman not being charismatic is almost charismatic in itself. More importantly I need someone who can hold down a decent match and, if possible, teach some of my bright young things something. Adams is that man.

Johnny Highspot: Yet another guy we released previously. A flashy (and fairly decent) high-flyer, his real skill is that he's almost unmatched in his selling. With a whole group of monster heels needing to squash something that's a valuable skill. His tag team partner Johnny Lowlife has similar skills.

Hugh de Aske: 24 years old and looks pretty good everywhere as well as having a gimmick made for TV.

UK Dragon: Very talented in the ring but matches it with a certain charisma. A good performer to help my developing talents.

Greg Gauge: He's got a famous Dad. He wrestles well. He looks to have charisma and star power. He'll get snapped up by one of the other big boys soon enough so I need to get my hooks into him.

Brilliant White: Flashy, has a decent TV look, we'll be able to sell his masks by the dozen. That said, we did fire him once before...

Beast Bantom: Only 26 but a damn good worker. A huge menacing heel. But I already have a number of those and talented as he is I'm not sure I need more...

Billy Robinson: Talented grappler but beyond that also has “it”, even if not the most charismatic.

There were some other intriguing names but they all had issues. Robinson's tag team partner Don Henderson is an equally skilled grappler but unfortunately is about as charismatic as a bag of hammers. Likewise for Merle O'Curle, supremely talented in the ring, frankly awful outside it, and the likes of Barry Griffin, Walter Morgan and Red Dragon. Talent wise Mister King looks to be the perfect fit... but he also looks to be locker room poison and frankly I need that like Edward Cornell needs another more famous and more talented cousin.

I faff around for a while before finally pulling the triggers; offers have been sent to Billy Robinson, Emma Evans, Melanie Florence, Keith Adams, Greg Gauge, UK Dragon, Hugh de Aske, Highspott/Lowlife, Michael Gregory, Eric Future and Petey Barnes.

(Watch them all get lost in the pack)

With my stable of talent sorted out, it's time to consider what to do with them. I note that three storylines were set to go before my unceremonious arrival... and I may as well follow them.

A Common Enemy:

Hot Stuff (Buff Martinez and Jay B) are infamous in 21CW for their use of 2-on-1 sneak attacks to gain an advantage. Unfortunately for them, their beatdowns on DJ Reason and Pit Bull Brown only served to bring the two fan favourites together and put them on the path to revenge!

(Seems easy enough to me. A classic feud between two of my upper-midcard/main event teams.)

The Wolves are Circling

Four men - Edward Cornell, Joss Thompson, Kevin Jones and Phillip Cooper - all have a strong claim to be number one contender to Dark Angel's World title, and all are waiting for the right moment to strike. Can Dark Angel defeat the numbers game?

(A bit tricky. A five person story... with four of them being heels that are non-aligned. A tournament is therefore likely to be ratings poison.)

Crack the Backbone

Two of the veterans of 21CW, the fan favourite Adam Matravers and the hated Jonathan Faust, have surprisingly rarely interacted in the past...until now. Faust has claimed he will "crack the backbone of 21CW" in order to bring chaos to the company!

(That's more like it. I do like the sound of this one...)

A busy day shall we say? Indeed. And with only three days to go till my first TV taping it was time to put the wheels in motion to my first ever card. The live audience was already mainly in place but it never hurts to give them some matches to salivate over... and the TV guide company like it when they can give more specifics.

21st Century World Title Match.

Dark Angel © vs Edward Cornell

21st Century United Kingdom Title Match

Wade Orson © vs Harley Neil

Adam Matravers vs Philip Cooper

Buff Martinez vs Pit Bull Brown

Jay B vs DJ Reason

Rolling Johnny Stones vs K'Lee Hawkins

No.1 Contender Match for the 21st Century Tag Team Titles

The Pride (Leo Price and Leigh Burton) vs Absolutely Flawless (Kelly and Lance Martin) vs Crouching Storm, Hidden Sifu (Ricky Storm and Sifu) vs The Maniacs (Bedlam and Kelvin Badbury)

Danny Paterson vs Johnny Highspot

Here's to watching me plunge the company into ruin...

(OOC: As I opened with, thoughts comments and opinions are much appreciated)

Week 1 Day 2-3

So far it all seemed easy.

Perhaps a bit too easy...

I got the job, I sat in my office, I sent a few emails, made a few phone calls, hired some people, was too scared to fire some people, drank some coffee, drank some more coffee, drank even more coffee, booked a card and put my feet up.

Couldn't be this easy, could it?

The first indication it wouldn't be was when Jeff Nova's bear-sized paw came down on my shoulder. I assumed it was meant to be a friendly gesture... I imagine if Mr Nova was trying to be unfriendly then I wouldn't still be here to write about it... but this guy was still one of the strongest men in the world and I... well, I wasn't. I was a pampered little TV executive thrust into the world of Sports Entertainment.

"Going ok, son?"

"Em, yes Mr Nova. I think so."

"Good."

There was a pause... a deadly terrifying pause. Mr Nova eyed me as I once imagined he eyed a set of Atlas Stones.

"You know son, I wasn't exactly happy with how you were thrust on me."

"Sir, I didn't..."

He waved one of those meaty paws through the air dismissively.

"Doesn't matter. I've got you now, don't I? Maybe you'll be good at it."

"I'll try my hard..."

Another dismissive wave.

"I know you will. But I run this company. Your bosses back at TV Land may like to think it's their baby, but it's mine and there's some things you need to do for me. Some goals if you like."

"I'm listening sir."

"First... we're never going into debt. Never. You understand?"

"Yes sir."

"Secondly, we've got three lads I want to see do well. Kevin Jones, Jonathan Faust and Johnny Stones. I want them built up. Within the next two years I want them all to have real momentum... you dig?"

"Yes sir."

"I don't want any old blokes. Don't look great on TV... not everyone keeps themselves strong and some sagging man breasts will put people off their supper. No wrestler over 42."

"Understood sir,"

"None of those crazy Japanese style fellows either. You know, the flippy ones who also punch and kick real hard before dropping each other on their heads. Juniors or whatever their called. This is Sports Entertainment, people want to see body slams and interviews."

"Yes sir."

"And no wannabe rock stars just waiting to get arrested. Last thing we need is some punk kid getting done for beating his girlfriend or busted for drunks and us getting splashed all over the front page."

I thought for a moment of my most recent hires.

"Absolutely sir. I just hired Keith Adams."

"The police man?"

"Yes..."

"Didn't I release him years back?"

"You did sir. I thought he'd be a solid veteran to help improve our youngsters in the ring. And I guess he'll keep backstage in order."

"Perhaps you're right son. Little old isn't he?"

"I'm not intending to make him a main attraction sir, just to develop those who could be one."

"I can accept that. Have you got the promotional fluff for your first show?"

"Yes sir... it's on the website now and copies have been sent to all the TV guide companies."

"Let me have a look at that..."

Tune in this Thursday Night for another exciting episode of 21st Century Wrestling presents “The Best of British Wrestling”. Featuring larger than life characters, dramatic storylines and the most exciting performers in the world of Sports Entertainment, each week this show brings edge-of-your-seat action which will make you gasp in excitement.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6808/21cwk.jpg

This week on The Best of British Wrestling:

A Man Alone

21st Century Wrestling World Champion Dark Angel is rightly heralded as one of the greatest performers of all time. He's held the World Title for nearly a year and so far no-one has been able to prise it from the hands of the mysterious grappler. But with 21st Century Wrestling: Steel Cage Challenge (available on PPV, contact your local provider) coming up in three weeks, four men think they deserve the right to take it from him:

The bitter Edward Cornell thinks it is time that he finally became the 21st Century Wrestling World Champion and will stop at nothing to get his shot.

The former Champion, Kevin Jones, has seethed for virtually a whole year about his loss of the title. He schemes for revenge against the man he believes wronged him.

Joss Thompson is as arrogant as they come. But as the only three time 21st Century Wrestling World Champion he has every reason to be. He thinks the World Title is his by right and he demands another shot as he looks to continue his takeover.

Phillip “Cooperman” Cooper has no time to wait around. A young man in the prime of his career he thinks everyone else is old news and it's time for a new light to shine in 21st Century Wrestling. He's a man with a plan... and he may well have something under (one of) his (many) hat(s).

Tune in this week to see how this four way rivalry plays out and whether Dark Angel can survive the challenge these four deadly competitors offer? Be the first to know what will happen come 21st Century Wrestling: Steel Cage Challenge (available on PPV, contact your local provider).

Tune in this Thursday to find out!

A Chance to Shine

The previously mentioned Phillip Cooper wants to guarantee his title shot and knows he needs a big win to do it. What better way then to do that then to beat the backbone of 21st Century Wrestling, “Mile High” Adam Matravers? But the Cooperman will have his work cut out for him. Matravers is a former 21st Century World, 21st Century United Kingdom and 21st Century Tag Team champion, one of the best performers in 21st Century Wrestling and his ability to fly around the ring will leave you awestruck. Matravers thinks he deserves a crack at the World Title and you know he won't give an inch to the Cooperman.

But Phillip Cooper used to team with Mile High. And does he know something we don't?

Orson Rising

Wade Orson has been called the most talented young wrestler on the planet by some veterans. Wth his undeniable star power, watch just one match with this 6'5'' performer and you'll see why. He defends his 21st Century United Kingdom title against the brutal Harley Neill, a rough-housing brawler with no compassion or fear. Is Orson the real deal or will Neill's aggression, experience and anger be too much for the younger star?

A Faustian Deal

The weaselling Jonathan Faust has long tried to ruin 21st Century Wrestling with his underhand tricks, conniving ways and snivelling manner. A cruel and cunning twisted mind drives him ever further in his quest to dominate. He's promised that this week his will reveal his next target. Who will it be? And what does this dastardly man have in mind for them?

Also featuring...

The cocky Hot Stuff team of Buff Martinez and Jay B in singles competition against the veteran Pitbull Brown and the King of Spin DJ Justice respectively.

A four way tag team match to be crowned No.1 Contenders for the 21st Century Tag Team titles between the near perfection of Absolutely Flawless, combination of gritty experience and youthful exuberance of The Pride, the martial arts madness of Crouching Storm, Hidden Sifu and the sheer maniacal viciousness of The Maniacs.

Rolling Johnny Stones

K'Lee Hawkins

Danny Patterson

And many more!

Tune in this Thursday for the best Sports Entertainment Action in the world.

“That's not bad son. We'll see how it goes.”

And with another thunderous pat on the shoulder, he was gone, leaving me to my thoughts (and terrors).

His restrictions weren't that tiresome. I didn't intend for us to ever go into debt and the three workers he wanted pushed were all guys I quite liked... two of my main event stars and one of the talented people on the level just below that. I didn't want any real troublemakers in my locker room and there wasn't much 42 year old talent I wanted. As for the Japanese Juniors... well, there was only one performer with that style willing to work in the UK (the UK Dragon) and I'd sort of offered him a contract before Mr Nova let me know about the change in the rules... which may not quite pacify him, but at least gave me an excuse before he broke me in half...

So now it was time to simply wait, hope and pray that my very first card would go well...

21st Century Wrestling Presents: The Best of British Wrestling

Thursday, Week 1

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6808/21cwk.jpg

Pre-Show

Before the TV camera started rolling the live audience was treated to three performers making their débuts. To the sound of an in-house version of The Clash's “I fought the Law” veteran grappler (and real life policeman) Keith Adams and rookie Michael Gregory (son of one of our referees, Scott Gregory) came to the ring, accompanied by seasoned manager Melanie Florence. Melanie, who always cuts a fantastic promo, introduced the pair as the “Firm Hand of the Law” and hyped them up briefly, even managing to make a number of obvious puns and jokes work well. The crowd enjoyed it... even if they had no idea who anyone was. The promo ended when the rookie tag team The Red Devils (Viktor Beskov and Yuri Iliakov) came down for an impromtu match.

Rating: E-

Firm Hand of the Law vs The Red Devils

A fairly standard tag match featuring three relative rookies and one experienced wrestler. Adams took on the brunt of the work for his team, playing the face in peril for much of the bout while the two Russians hit him with suplexes, strikes and submission attempts. Eventually the Red Devil's overstretched themselves, Adams reversing an attempted T-Bone suplex into a spinning neckbreaker and making the hot tag to Gregory. Gregory came in like a house on fire landing punches, clotheslines and even a couple of bodyslams before getting the pin following a Running Powerslam on Iliakov.

Winners: The Firm Hand of the Law (Powerslam)

Rating: F

(This was in essence a development match. I hope to build some skills to go with Gregory's obvious looks and both Adams and Florence's involvement is to help him... Adams with the ring work, Florence with the microphone skills. The Red Devil's are likewise a rookie team who should be in a position to learn from Adams. It's a work in progress, I admit...)

------------------------------------

It's Thursday Evening, it's eight o'clock and it's time for 21st Century Wrestling: Best of British Wrestling!

21st Century Wrestling's theme starts to play, an in-house (and PG) version of the Union Underground's

. The opening video is played, showing highlights of the superstars of 21CW: Matravers, Thompson, Angel, Cornell, Faust, Jones, Cooper, Reason.

Steve Smith: Welcome everyone to the Best of British Wrestling! I'm Steve Smith and I'm joined by the Scottish Superman, Jeff Nova. What a night we have lined up Jeff.

Jeff Nova: Indeed Steve. We're only three weeks away from Steel Cage Challenge and only one thing is clear... it's completely unclear who is going to challenge Dark Angel for the World Title inside a steel cage.

Steve Smith: Say no more Jeff... I think we're about to hear from one of those would be contenders right now!

The first cords of

hit as executive consultant Kathleen “The Rock Chick” Lee makes her way to the ring, accompanying her client, Kevin Jones, a man so dangerous he doesn't need a gimmick. Lee appears utterly imperious while Jones angrily jaws with the few fans who catch his eye. Boo's ring out as the pair stand centre ring.

Kathleen Lee: My client, Kevin Jones, hired me because he knew simply being the toughest man in 21st Century Wrestling wasn't enough to get him what he deserves. He knew that he needed someone like me to tell those in charge what needed to be done and to make sure they didn't just listen to ingrates like you.

She angrily gestures to the crowd and the camera to a cascade of boos.

Kathleen Lee: And what Kevin Jones deserves is a title shot. He is by far the most legitimate contender out there. We all know that the so-called champion Dark Angel...

A cheer at the mention of the champ.

Kathleen Lee: … has been running from my client for a year. So I am out here now to demand a title match against Dark Angel for Kevin Jones. I demand...

The boos come again as

interrupts proceedings, “The Complete Package” Joss Thompson comes out. He takes a moment to pose, deliberately egging on the fans before making his own way to the ring.

Joss Thompson: Easy there buttercup. Don't you get ahead of yourself. You see, I am The Complete Package Joss Thompson... and if anyone deserves a shot at Dark Angel it is The Complete Package Joss Thompson. Let me remind you... an all those watching at home... that Joss Thompson is the only three time 21st Century World Champion. It is Joss Thompson's broad and mighty shoulders that carry this company and it is those same broad and mighty shoulders that the World Title should be hanging over. Your client lost the title to Dark Angel. Joss Thompson? He's the franchise player of 21s Century Wrestling... and for you British idiots who don't understand American, that means Joss Thompson is the most important part of this company. Whether you admit it or not, you came here to see The Complete Package... and The Complete Package deserves a shot at the Gold. No, not just deserves. Is entitled to. No-one else should...

Yet another interruption and yet more boos,

hitting as Edward Cornell appears. He marches straight to the ring, grabbing his own microphone... but just as he's about to speak
hits and Phillip “Cooperman” Cooper comes out. He's wearing a rather spectacular hat today... an Abraham Lincoln style tophat covered in (fake I presume) snow leopard fur and encrusted with rhinestones. He too comes to the ring and appears about to speak himself.

Phillip Cooper: Nah mate, you guys are barmy. The only person deserving a title...

And then the lights go out.

Steve Smith: What's happening Jeff? Did someone forget to pay the electricity bill?

Jeff Nova: I don' know about that Steve, but what I do know is that there are four men in the ring who each think they deserve a title shot. And I wouldn't want to me the man to tell any of them no.

Steve Smith: I'm with you Jeff... but wait, look up there! It's Dark Angel! The Champions up in the rafters and there's a spotlight on him.

Jeff Nova: What on earth is he doing up there?

Dark Angel: One by one you rise. And one by one I will knock you down. It starts tonight. With you.”

Steve Smith: What's he saying Jeff? And wait... a spotlight! A spotlight focusing on Edward Cornell!

Jeff Nova: I guess that means that tonight Edward Cornell gets what he wants. A world title shot at our champion Dark Angel.

Steve Smith: I think you're right Jeff. I think we just found out we're going to have a world title match to headline our broadcast.

Jeff Nova: It's not known as the Best of British Wrestling for nothing Steve. Dark Angel may be a weird guy but he's also one of the finest performers the world has ever seen and Edward Cornell is no slouch. What a main event!

Steve Smith: The other contenders don't look happy but I don't think they have much say in the matter. We've got to go to short break now but stay with us for that incredible main event!

--------

Steve Smith: What a way to open the show Jeff. Let's recap how our main event tonight came together.

A brief highlight package of the previous segment is shown.

Jeff Nova: I can't wait for that Steve. “The Business” Edward Cornell takes on our Champion Dark Angel for the World Title.

Steve Smith: And that's not the only title match tonight Jeff! Because right now we have a battle between Wade Orson and Harley Neill for the United Kingdom Championship. Orson has had a great run since winning the belt... but can he compete with the mean Neill when it matters most?

21st Century United Kingdom Title Bout

Wade Orson vs Harley Neill

Orson starts the bout firmly in control, using his power to throw around the smaller Neill with slams and suplexes. The momentum changes however when the two brawl outside...

Steve Smith: The pair are grappling outside now. They've got to be careful not to get counted out here... although Orson would keep his title if they do. Neill with a pair of hard right hands to the gut of Orson, he irish whips him and... holy moly, he sent his straight into the ring steps? Orson caught all of that on his knees! That's solid steel right there Jeff, no mercy or give in it... and the Champion just went knee first over it! He looks in real pain lying there on the outside!

Neill is no technical worker but he's cunning in an animal fashion and he smelt blood. After throwing Orson back into the ring he went to work with kicks and stomps to the injured knee, as well as some rudimentary submission holds. Orson managed a few comebacks but every time he tried Neill would go right back to the knee. It appeared the end was near...

Steve Smith: Orson is virtually on one leg here Jeff. Neill's gone right after the injured knee and there's little Orson seems to be able to do about it.

Jeff Nova: Knee injuries are horrible things Steve. I had a bad one once and I could barely get out of bed, let alone think about being in a match with a man as nasty as Harley Neill. They used to call him The Juicer... and I tell you, that wasn't because of his love of Tropicana.

Steve Smith: He brings Orson up to one knee... comes off the ropes... Cockney Knees Up! That running knee right to the solar-plexus! And he's signalling for the East End Piledriver! He's put Orson in position... he's trying to lift him...

Jeff Nova: Orson powers out!

Steve Smith: He's on one knee but he still had the strength to back body drop Neill out of the piledriver position. He's fired up! Neil runs in...

Jeff Nova: What a clothesline!

Steve Smith: Orson took his head off with that one! Neill doesn't know where he is... Orson brings him to his feet... onto his shoulders... the Bounce Back! The fireman's carry slam! This is over!

Jeff Nova: 1, 2, 3

Winner: Wade Orson : Pinfall (Bounce Back)

Rating: D

Steve Smith: That was a good win for Wade Orson Jeff and he makes another defence of his United Kingdom title.

Jeff Nova: A good win over a crafty veteran in difficult circumstances. When it comes down to it having all the muscles in the world doesn't mean anything if you lack heart and Orson showed real heart to come through there.

Steve Smith: And the excitement continues folks. After the break Buff Martinez takes on Pit Bull Brown. Stay tuned!

Buff Martinez vs Pit Bull Brown

It's an even contest between the veteran brawler Brown and the arrogant Martinez, with Martinez's partner Jay B at ringside. Brown gets the better of it early but Martinez keeps himself in it with a variety of cheap tactics. By the time the match comes to a close Brown has been poked in both eyes, had his tights pulled, been low blowed and Martinez even tried to pull his hair (a move which failed on account of the fact that Brown is bald).

Steve Smith: Martinez has had this chinlock on Brown for a while.

Jeff Nova: Brown's a tough man, but a move this like wears you down, especially as Martinez keeps digging his knee into the small of Pit Bull's back.

Steve Smith: The fans starting to get behind Brown now. They're clapping away and he's feeding off them. Fighting to his feet. Elbow to the gut. Another elbow to the gut. Martinez trying to hold on... but a third elbow forces him to break his grip. Right hand drops him!

Jeff Nova: Whatever you do, you never want to exchange punches with Pit Bull Brown.

Steve Smith: Martinez pops back up... and another right hand. Down again. And a third. Martinez doesn't know what hit him!

Jeff Nova: But look, Jay B leaping onto the apron.

Steve Smith: The ref sees him and gets him out of the ring... but low blow! Low blow! Behind the referees back! A blatant kick below the belt and Brown is down and rolling in agony.

Jeff Nova: The ref sees it now... but all he sees is Brown gasping for air. He never saw the low blow.

Steve Smith: Brown rolling out of the ring. That's a veteran move right there as the referee is lecturing Martinez in the corner.

Jeff Nova: It may be a veteran move but it looks to be a foolish one. With the ref's eyes on Martinez he's not watching Jay B...

Steve Smith: Brown is helpless as Jay B comes from behind... B-Bopper!

Jeff Nova: Brown could be out from that. That padding around the ring does nothing to save you from the hard floor below.

Steve Smith: And Jay B rolling Brown into the ring just in time for the ref to see nothing untoward. Martinez waiting, waiting, waiting for a groggy Brown to pull himself to his feet. He doesn't even know where he is... running in... El K.O.! The running S.T.O!

Jeff Nova: Brown just got El K.Oed.

Steve Smith: This is elementary now. 1, 2, 3. Few people survive the El K.O as it is... and no-one when they've just been hit b the B-Bopper.

Jeff Nova: You may not like it but no-one's been able to find a way to slow down Martinez and Jay B when they work together like that.

Steve Smith: Absolutely. You know that DJ Reason has got to be sitting in the back watching this and wondering what this pair will pull on him in his match with Jay B later tonight. Another quick commercial break and we'll be back with more action.

Winner: Buff Martinez (El K.O.)

Rating: C-

When we return from the break the camera is showing Pit Bull Brown's locker room. The veteran has an ice pack on his head and one mean expression on his voice. There's a knock on the door, followed by DJ Reason coming in.

DJ Reason: Just saw dat man. Dat a bad break you got there.

Pit Bull Brown: Ain't it just. What do you want?

DJ Reason: Now, I got Jay B later tonight dawg and I was thinking if they pull that move on you, they probably try and pull it me as well. What you say we look after each other... a sort of Defence Force. I got your back and you got mine, you dig?

Pit Bull Brown: So if you've got my back then where the hell were you just then?

DJ Reason: I'm sorry dude. Let me make it up to you.

Pit Bull Brown: I'll think about it. Now leave me in peace.

DJ Reason: I've said my piece. I hope you agree. No-one wants to see those two get away wid it.

Pit Bull Brown: I said I'd think about it.

Steve Smith: So do we have a new team on our hands?

Jeff Nova: I'm not so sure Steve. Brown's got a point. Reason wants him to watch his back... but where was Reason five minutes ago when Brown was getting ambushed? Seems a bit one-sided so far.

Steve Smith: Then again Nova, Brown's not a forgiving man. Teaming up with DJ Reason may be the best way for him to get his revenge on Hot Stuff. Anyway folks, glad you could stay with us. Later tonight we have a World Title Match between the champion Dark Angel and Edward Cornell but up next it's a four way tag team bout to crown number one contenders for the Tag Team titles currently held by the Ivanoff Brothers.

Jeff Nova: Just putting two of these tag teams together would lead to some crazy action... and now we've got four of them?

Rating: C-

The Pride (Leo Price and Leigh Burton) vs Absolutely Flawless (Kelly and Lance Martin) vs Crouching Storm, Hidden Sifu (Ricky Storm and Sifu) vs The Maniacs (Bedlam and Kelvin Badbury)

The match was fairly open with each team getting their offence in. Absolutely Flawless showed their supreme experience as a tag team, comfortably working off each other and effortlessly double teaming opponents when necessary. Bedlam and Badbury had none of their smoothness but made up for it with a relentless brawling attack, muscling and bullying anyone they got their hands on. In contrast Price and Burton were more measured, the veteran using his experience to go after his opponents weaknesses while the more exuberant Burton was like a house on fire whenever he was given the chance. The strangest combination however was Sufu and Storm. Both used a variety of martial arts and high flying techniques to take charge of the action but while Storm would cheer and shout throughout Sifu was deadly calm.

Steve Smith: The Martin twins have Leo Price in position! Flawless Elimination! They've got this won!

Jeff Nova: But they're too busy posing in front of the cameras. These young kids may be great as a tag team but they're too cocky for their own good.

Steve Smith: You may be right Jeff. They seem to have forgotten this is a four way and while Burton may be out of it on the floor and Price down in the ring the other teams are still around. Just to prove the point, here comes Sifu and Storm... double drop kick to the back! Absolutely Flawless have been sent tumbling over the top rope and to the ground.

Jeff Nova: But it's not all good for the martial artists. Here comes Badbury... and he is a nasty man.

Steve Smith: A big one too. 6'5'' if anything and he's charging at the pair. Double clothesline... but they rolled under it!

Jeff Nova: He's a big man and what he touches he crushes... but he needs to touch them first and Sifu and Storm are so much quicker than him.

Steve Smith: Badbury turns round... right into a pair of kicks to the legs. But they barely trouble him... but that one does! Two spin kicks to the gut and even a man Badbury's size is reeling. He's got his back against the ropes... and Storm is kneeling in front of him.

Jeff Nova: I don't know what we're going to see, but I think it's going to be good...

Steve Smith: Sifu with the run up... and a leaping calf kick from Storm's back! That sends Badbury over the ropes to join Absolutely Flawless on the outside!

Jeff Nova: They're not done yet Steve!

Steve Smith: Now it's Sifu on his hands and knees and Storm running... launching himself off Sifu's back and... HUGE PLANCHA! He took out everyone! Absolutely Flawless and Badbury are all down and out!.

Jeff Nova: Sifu still in the ring... but so is Bedlam! Bedlam from behind!

Steve Smith: Bedlam with the Mind Stranger! He's locking it in on Sifu. The young kid never saw it coming but he's trying to fight out. If Bedlam can drag him to the floor and lock his legs it's over.

Jeff Nova: Bedlam making the same mistake Sifu did. He's not watching behind him.

Steve Smith: Leigh Burton is still in this thing. Everyone else is down and Bedlam is focusing on choking out Sifu... he doesn't see Burton! From behind, punch to the back to break the hold... and then a belly-to-back suplex! 1, 2, 3.

Jeff Nova: That's a huge win for the rookie Burton there.

Steve Smith: And it's only getting better... now he has a world title shot with Leo Price.

Jeff Nova: I'm not sure I'd call taking on two bruisers likes the Ivanoff's “better” Steve, but still, what a chance for The Pride to really put themselves out there in 21st Century Wrestling.

Winners: The Pride

Rolling Johnny Staines vs K'Lee Hawkins

An even matched between two solid wrestlers. Neither used any cheap tactics and it instead was a good contest of skills. Staines based his offence around his wide variety of suplexes, prooving why he deserved his “rolling” moniker by chaining a number together, notably a suplex/fisherman suplex/gourdbuster combination an a double northern lights suplex, both of which got two counts. In contrast Hawkins twice locked on his deadly crossface chickenwing, only to find that each time Staines was too close to the ropes. It may be worth noting that the fans attention was diverted by Staines new manager, Emma Evans, and the rather tight outfit she was wearing... and outfit the camera crew made sure to focus on from time to time.

Steve Smith: K'lee working the arm here, wrenching on it with that wrist lock. He's been sure to keep targeting Staines and to make sure Staines can't keep stringing together those explosive suplexes.

Jeff Nova: Staines is grimacing, but he's fighting out... rolling with the arm lock, twisting, slipping behind Hawkins, back to the front...

Steve Smith: Holy moly. A brainbuster out of nowhere. You can't give Staines any opportunity or he will start suplexing you on your head.

Jeff Nova: And that brainbuster has put away some damn good men in its time. Ring the bell, this match is done.

Steve Smith: 1, 2, 3. You're right Jeff, done and dusted. We've got another break now ladies and gentlemen but we've still got that World Title match to come. Moreover, I've just been told that the Jonathan Faust will be giving an exclusive interview next. You may not like him but it is always worth hearing what that dastardly man has to say.

Winner: Johnny Staines (Brainbuster)

Rating: D+

The camera pans to show what appears to be an abandoned back alley. There is little light and little movement until a hooded figure slowly walks into view. As he comes closer it becomes apparent that the man under the hood is Jonathan Faust, the thorn in the side of virtually the whole of 21st Century Wrestling. When he speaks his voice is charismatic but deep, a dark undertone influencing every word he says.

Jonathan Faust: I am Jonathan Faust.

And I am the darkness in the heart of men.

My victories are many, my victims numerous. Where I walk the very earth trembles in fear. For I am unrepentant, unbroken and unbowed. You will hear me called many things. Sick. Malicious. Conniving. Twisted. Perhaps even evil.

That might be true. But it misses the most important one.

Triumphant.

No-one can stand against me. All your heroes, they are merely hollow outlines, weak shadows of what they could be. They find themselves chained by the pressures you place on them, consumed by such ridiculous notions as “honour” or “fair play”. They are mere phantoms, images I can conjure and dismiss with a wave of the hand. They lack my intellect, my instinct, my cunning, my will to win. They look for an easy option, an escape. They are not willing to do what it takes to get the job done. Like you they are foolish and cowardly, bound by rules where none should exist.

I have no such restrictions, no such fears, no such weaknesses.

I am brave enough to stand alone... and to be the last man standing. I do not wrestle... I win. I do not compete... I destroy. And if I do not break you down in the ring on a single night then be assured that I will rend you limb from limb regardless. You fans, your heroes live in an medieval age, an age of chivalry and respect, where two generals would agree the time and place of a battle. I do not subscribe to such outdated notions I am war at its coldest and most malignant. I am total war. I am famine and pestilence. When I turn my baleful eyes upon you I do not stop simply when the referee raises my hand. I do not stop when the bell rings and an announcer declares me the winner. I stop when I wish to... when you are a tattered mess of shattered dreams and forlorn hopes. When you are broken.

There is no-one in 21st Century Wrestling who is safe from me. No-one who I cannot touch. No-one who I haven't already left my dark stain upon. Your heroes may act like they have escaped me. They may put on a brave front, they may pretend that they have moved beyond me. But I am not a fool like you. I know what they truly feel. I know that I have touched their souls and that they will never be free of me. I am the Darkness Made Flesh and I infect what I touch. Each of your heroes bares my mark. Each of them has felt my brand burn into their minds. None are free of me.

All except one.

I read the preview for this show. I'm sure many of you did. And a certain Adam Matravers was described as the “backbone” of 21st Century Wrestling. The backbone? This company has no backbone because I have already cracked it. All your heroes are mere puppets that I allow to dangle in front of you, so that you may clap and gawp like the slack-jawed yokels you are. At any time I can wave my hand and watch those strings be cut. 21st Century Wrestling may have no backbone but it has a heart... a dark and malicious one... and it sit at the very centre of it. The backbone? I will not tolerate such things.

Adam Matravers, you have been lucky. Our paths have barely crossed and because of that you have been able to flourish. It has amused me to watch you continue your charade, to watch you continue to believe you are something special, something different. Let me assure you, you are not. You are just another peasant, another poor fool like those who cheer for you. You serve at my sufferance and you exist at my convenience. Your entire existence in 21st Century Wrestling is based upon the fact I have not yet turned my attention on you. And be afraid, for my great eye has settled on you now...

If you are the backbone of 21st Century Wrestling then I will crack the backbone.

That is not a challenge Adam Matravers. That is not a threat. It's not even a promise. It's a statement. I am not asking for a match, I am not calling you out, I am not... as some of fools would say “making a mug” of you. I am simply letting you know that you may wish to contact those you care about and let them know you are about to have a very, very bad time. You see Adam Matravers, I am like no-one you have faced before. I am not a 2-bob brawler who just wants a fight. I'm not a cocky youth who demands adoration and thinks he is more important than he is. I am not a bitter man who has watched his peers and family become more successful. I do not want a title, I do not want to beat you, I do not want to be able to say I am better than you. I want to destroy you, to crack the backbone, to break you down and humiliate you.

War is upon you Adam Matravers. War with all its dark majesty, all its fury. War, with the wailing of women and the piteous laments of children. War does not wait for a match to made, war does not comply to a timetable or a schedule, war shows no mercy and no remorse. I am become war Adam Matravers. I am the Darkness made Flesh and I will tear you down.

For I am Jonathan Faust.

And I am the darkness in the heart of men.

So do not rest easy Adam Matravers. Know your days are numbered. Know your time is short. Know that I will crack the backbone. Know that I will come for you. You will not know where and you will not know when... but you will crack all the same.

For now it is time Adam Matravers, for you to have to deal with the Devil."

He lowers his head, the hood once again obscuring his features as the camera fades out and the view comes back to ringside, the somewhat shocked faces of Steve Smith and Jeff Nova.

Steve Smith: I'm... I'm not actually sure what I just watched Jeff.

Jeff Nova: That was... that was... worrying.

Steve Smith: Faust has always had a highly elevated opinion of himself and he's always been willing to use cheap tactics if necessary but... but him being war? And talking about cracking the backbone? Was it metaphorical do you think? Or does he mean to literally crack Adam Matravers backbone?

Jeff Nova: I don't know Scott. I do know that Matravers will have yet another thing to worry about... and he's got a big match with the dangerous Phillip Cooper coming up later as well. Phillip Cooper is no walk-over... and with a world title shot in the balance you know Cooper will be going all out. I'm not sure Matravers would be able to beat him if he had his mind entirely on the job... and he certainly won't if he's distracted by this.

Steve Smith: We'll try to get some reaction from Matravers if we can... but first we have another important match to consider. Earlier tonight we say Jay B help out his tag team partner Buff Martinez in picking up a win over Pit Bull Brown. Now Jay B has to go it alone... or at least he's meant to... against DJ Reason... and with everything we've seen from them in the past you have to know Hot Stuff are going to try to pull a double team. Intriguingly DJ Reason attempted to ally with Pit Bull Brown to prevent that happening.

Jeff Nova: But an attempt was all it was Steve. Pit Bull Brown wasn't too happy that DJ Reason wanted his help... but wasn't willing to help Brown out earlier. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Jay B vs DJ Reason

The two brawl for much of the match, Jay B showing hints of his past as a cruiserweight high-flyer when the pace picks up but DJ keeps coming back with punches, kicks and basic wrestling moves. Reason appears to have a slight edge but he's constantly looking over his shoulder at Martinez, trying to make sure he isn't surprised.

Steve Smith: Reason landing right hand after right hand... Martinez on the apron trying to distract the ref.

Jeff Nova: I feel like we've seen this happen before.

Steve Smith: But Reason turns round and lamps Martinez! He nailed him right in the jaw, sending him tumbling off the apron! No chance for Martinez to interfere now.

Jeff Nova: But it still led to the ref getting distracted. He's now staring down at Martinez and...

Steve Smith: Low blow! Jay B just kicked Reason in the plums. Holy moly this is just what happened earlier.

Jeff Nova: To a tee Steve. The ref turns round and notices Reason lying there and he's busy lecturing Jay B... but he didn't see anything so he can't disqualify him. Reason's rolled to the outside to catch his breath... but Martinez is waiting. This is exactly like what happened before!

Steve Smith: Martinez lining Reason up for the El K.O... but what's this? Pit Bill Brown! Pit Bull Brown! He has come through for DJ Reason! And he flattens Matinez with a punch. Hooks him up... Dog Pound Piledriver! Martinez is out.

Jeff Nova: Jay B is beside himself! He can't believe that someone would use Hot Stuff's own tactics against them. And it's about to get worse, as Reason is recovered, back in the ring an behind him. Jay B's still too busy jawing with Pit Bull to notice... but he'll notice now...

Steve Smith: He turns round into a kick to the gut and... Edge of Reason! The chokebreaker variation DJ Reason uses to such good effect. 1, 2, 3! Reason has beaten Jay B.

Jeff Nova: Looks like I was wrong Steve. Pit Bull's in the ring now and he's shaking hands with DJ Reason while Hot Stuff try to regroup on the outside. I don't think we've seen the end of this.

Steve Smith: I doubt we have Jeff. Pit Bull will still want revenge and I doubt Hot Stuff will be content to let it end like this. They may be bullies but they'll stand their ground if they have to. Stay with us ladies and gentlemen because after the break, Adam Matravers meets Phillip Cooper... with both a world title shot and Jonathan Fausts threats hanging over the contest.

Winner: DJ Reason (Edge of Reason)

Scott Smith: Thank you for joining us ladies and gentlemen. Later on tonight we still have our huge main event as Dark Angel defends his 21st Century World Title against Edward Cornell and before that “Mile High” Adam Matravers takes on Phillip “Cooperman” Cooper. First through we have... I guess we'd call it an exhibition?

Jeff Nova: That or execution.

Danny Patterson vs Johnny Highspot

Scott Smith: We're about to see the debut of Johnny Highspot, a young and talented high-flyer.

Jeff Nova: I bet you he was happy from the moment he signed his contract to the moment he realised who he'd be facing...

Scott Smith: That would be the monstrous Danny Patterson. That said Jeff, Highspot seems curiously unaffected by the news he's facing Patterson. He's smiling and laughing and having a grand old time with the crowd.

Jeff Nova: Too stupid for his own good that kid.

Scott Smith: What may be of interest is that Patterson was accompanied to the ring by Cliff King, a manager most famous for his work with the equally terrifying War Machine. Has King really added another monster to his stable?

Jeff Nova: Looks that way Scott. And here's the bell.

Scott Smith: Highspot not waiting around, straight off the ropes, cross body and...

Jeff Nova: This can't be good.

Scott Smith: Patterson grabbed him in mid-air and is just holding him there across his chest. Now he heaves him up into a powerbomb position and...

Jeff Nova: Ouch.

Scott Smith: A devastating powerbomb by Patterson. He squashed Highspot like a bug. This match is over... but King on the outside demanding more. Patterson wraps his hand around Highspot's throat.

Jeff Nova: Goodbye son, it was nice knowing you...

Scott Smith: A deadlift chokeslam! He simply lifted the limp Highspot from the ground with one hand and slammed him back down again. Now he covers.

Jeff Nova: I guess that wasn't the début Highspot imagined he'd have.

Winner: Danny Patterson (Choke Slam)

Rating: E+

Scott Smith: With that done, we managed to catch a few words with Adam Matravers just before his match with Phillip Cooper. What will he have to say about his upcoming bout and Jonathan Faust's threats?

The scene cuts to a locker room with Matravers and his manager Phoebe Plumridge. Matravers looks remarkably composed while Plumridge has a look of concern on her face.

Adam Matravers: Am I worried about Jonathan Faust? No more than I'm worried about anyone else in this company. Listen, we all know the guy likes to talk and he's got a turn of phrase to him. “Darkness made Flesh” and all that jazz. If you just listened to him talk you'd think he was some real hard nut.

But I know Jonathan Faust. The guy's a weasel. He'll talk and he'll talk and he'll talk but when it comes down to it, he's just a little man with a big mouth and a bigger ego. And he forgets, I won the World Title by beating him. 1, 2, 3. I know Faust and I've beaten Faust. Obviously I'm not going to brush this aside completely... he's a cunning little man with a cunning little mind... but worry about him? When I've got Phillip Cooper to deal with? No sir, I'm going to go out there and steal the show once again. Cooper may have had whatever he has on those hats leak into his brain over the years but he's still a talented little devil. Just not as talented as me. Because I'm mile high and super fly... that's Matravers”.

Rating: C+

Adam Matravers vs Phillip Cooper.

The match between one-time tag team partners was contested at a high pace with Cooper trying to ground Matravers and keep him there, while Mile High kept going for the flashy and spectacular. It was an open bout between two high skilled wrestlers who knew each other fairly well and while each had their moments it did not appear either were really able to get the upper hand.

Steve Smith: Matravers with the irish whip into the turnbuckle. Cooper stunned. We all know Matravers likes that big Zero G calf-kick in the corner as a set up move. He's coming in and..

Jeff Nova: Oh no! Cooper just pulled the ref in front of him! Poor Jacob Bailey, he just ate a huge calf-kick and he is out of it.

Steve Smith: Completely unintentional by Adam Matravers. He had no idea that Cooper was going to pull that sneaky move. He's checking on the ref now but that's just left an opening for Cooper. Cooper from behind... big release German suplex.

Jeff Nova: And look where he's landed! In perfect position for a Cooperfly Splash.

Steve Smith: Cooper's noticed as well and there's a real malicious glint in his eyes as he goes to the turnbuckle, taunting and posing for the fans the entire time. He thinks he's got this in the bag.

Jeff Nova: But Matravers is getting to his feet... and he's caught Cooper between a rock and a hard place, perched on the turnbuckle.

Steve Smith: Big leaping enziguri to the head! Cooper is out of it in a dangerous position, sat on the top rope. Matraver's climbing up himself... he's well known for some of his top rope variations including that incredible front flip hurricanrana he's used a few times before. But... holy moly, it's Faust!

Jeff Nova: He wouldn't let his words be an empty threat.

Steve Smith: Faust with a chair... and a sickening shot to the back of Matravers. Phoebe is pleading from ringside but Faust is remorseless and relentless. Another chair shot... and now he's opened up the chair and placed it on the ground. He's underneath Matravers, hooking him as if for a powerbomb... and he did it. Powebomb onto...

Jeff Nova: Not just onto the chair. He virtually powerbombed him through it, right onto the small of his back. Matravers is rolling around in agony. That could do serious damage to a man.

Steve Smith: Isn't that enough? Faust's not done. That sick mind as yet more ideas. Matravers is helpless as he brings him to his feet, hooks him for a suplex, lifts him...

. Holy moley, that was sickening! Matravers is done and he looks pretty badly hurt by that Jeff.

Jeff Nova: Back injuries are always the most serious Steve. Just one wrong move and that can be it. Not just for a match, not just for your career but for your ability to work.

Steve Smith: And Faust is smiling and bowing to the audience as it cascades boos down on him. That was sick Jeff, absolutely sick and Faust knows it. He loves it as he throws the chair out of the ring and head backstage himself. Matravers is face down in the ring and barely moving, while Phoebe is damn near crying at ringside and... wait... wait... Cooper, what is he thinking?

Jeff Nova: Thinking? He's thinking he's back in range for the Cooperfly splash and that he needs to win this match to guarantee a world title bout.

Steve Smith: But think of the cost? Damn it Cooper, that man was your partner. Your friend. He needs medical attention not... not.

Jeff Nova: Cooperfly splash! Right onto the back!

Steve Smith: Damn it. Damn it all. Cooper shakes the referee awake, rolls Matravers over and gets a bitter win.

Jeff Nova: Perhaps Matravers should have taken Faust's words a little more seriously.

Steve Smith: There's no excuse for what we just saw. Our medical team is currently attending to Matravers now, Phoebe is right by him. I'm almost glad for this commercial break so this can end...

Winner: Phillip Cooper (Cooperfly Splash)

21st Century World Title Bout

Dark Angel vs Edward Cornell

The two wrestlers have a cagey opening, both aware of what is at stake and both aware of the dangers the other man possesses. Cornell tries to use his size and strength to over power Dark Angel, but the Champion's speed and technical brilliance mean Cornell has limited success. What success he does find is generally by bullying Dark Angel into the corner and punishing him with chops, punches and stomps before landing a number of high powered slams and suplexes afterward. Dark Angel's own offence consists of stiff (looking) strikes and intricate joint locks, combined with a number of suplexes of his own and some hints to his past as the world's leading super junior when the pace does increase.

Steve Smith: Cornell whips Dark Angel into the ropes... Dark Angel ducks a clothesline, off the ropes again, BIG spinning wheel kick. That caught Cornell hard.

Jeff Nova: Very hard Steve. Cornell looks out of it. Dark Angel can do what he wants here.

Steve Smith: And he looks to be doing just that Jeff, gesticulating for the Descent into Hell... but... not again!

Jeff Nova: That's Phillip Cooper... and he went straight for Dark Angel.

Steve Smith: The referees got no choice but to the ring the bell. Hasn't Cooper done enough tonight? Dark Angel wins the match by DQ... but that doesn't matter to him. Cooper blind sided him and is currently stomping him into the mat. Cornell's still down, he has no idea that he just lost the match but Cooper is still going. Dark Angel struggling to his feet... and Cooper nails him with a discus lariat. Dark Angel is down and he's not getting up.

Jeff Nova: Cooper gets the 21st Century Belt from ringside... and he's posing in the centre of the ring with it.

Stevie Smith: We're out of time ladies and gentlemen, but what does this mean? Cooper just laid out the world champion and has the title belt in his hands. Will he get the next shot at Dark Angel? And what is Adam Matravers condition? Go to our website for more updates and exclusive video and make sure you tune in next week but for now that's all we have time for from Best of British Wrestling!

Winner: Dark Angel (DQ)

Rating: C

Rating (Post-match attack): C+

Post-Show

With the TV cameras off the crowd was treated to a little more action as Phillip Cooper continued to parade around the ring with the World Title. To a roar from the crowd Wade Orson ran out and an impromptu match occurred between him and Dark Angel taking on Cornell and Cooper. The match was short, just enough time for everyone to get their offence in before both sides were counted out as they brawled to the backstage area.

Rating: D-

Overall Show Rating: C-

Well, I'm still alive.

Not that everything went smoothly but it could have gone a lot worse. Pit Bull Brown gassed the dressing room but it wasn't worth picking a fight over and other then that my first fear... being torn apart by the wrestlers themselves... didn't come to pass. A couple of guys had off nights but outside of that things went pretty well. Staines and Hawkins had great chemistry when facing each other and it turned out Storm and Sifu made a great team. The only really sour note was that Storm managed to injure himself on his big dive... a fractured cheekbone I'm told... but he's willing to work through that for the moment. So I guess that is good.

The ratings weren't great. Not terrible either but nothing to right home about unless I liked writing home about how mediocre my ratings were. Turns out we may well have lost some viewers who had only just started to tune it over the last few weeks, but I wasn't concerned. This was my first effort and I was just getting my feet wet. Give me a month or two and I'd have them back... and a lot more besides.

At least that's what I told Jeff as I thanked him for his colour commentary and went home, ready to start again for a whole new show in a weeks time.

I enjoyed the show. I particularly liked the match write ups as you describe what is happening. An example being the tag match and how Sifu jumped off Storm's back. I thought Faust's promo was well written and he came across as a clever and intelligent heel. Looking forward to the next show. :)

Archived