1991: Rising Storms

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, there will be another update if anyone is wondering.

I need some input. Under current setup I've run 3 five year sims and in each one WCW goes out of business sometime in 1994. My feeling is that it has something do with the NWA membership. (They have never left in any sim I've run)

I'm considering removing them from the NWA at the start and setting the nWA title to no one owned. Thoughts? If you want to play as WCW in the NWA it is easy to fix in the editor, but for everyone else that plays as WWF or another company this will help keep WCW alive.

T.V. deals were different with the NWA. Because as long as promotions were using there own wrestlers they could show their shows in different areas. This is how GCW got around the rules plus WCCW and JCP were showing shows in the deep south in the early 80's.

FYI, there will be another update if anyone is wondering.

I need some input. Under current setup I've run 3 five year sims and in each one WCW goes out of business sometime in 1994. My feeling is that it has something do with the NWA membership. (They have never left in any sim I've run)

I'm considering removing them from the NWA at the start and setting the nWA title to no one owned. Thoughts? If you want to play as WCW in the NWA it is easy to fix in the editor, but for everyone else that plays as WWF or another company this will help keep WCW alive.

I have run several test runs for the 83 mod and seems no one leaves the alliance. They will get hostile as hell with each other but no one leaves unless they go out of business.

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but it appears that all companies have a low level drug policy?

I seem to recall that it's something the AI automatically does when a new game starts and is not something in control of us modders.

I seem to recall that it's something the AI automatically does when a new game starts and is not something in control of us modders.

It was an issue with the converter in the earlier versions of the game. As mentioned, it's easy enough to change in the pre-game editor.

This mod looks great, but the first thing that jumps out at me is WCW is way too close to catching up to WWF. Plenty of fans in the US thought WWF=wrestling by this point, as WCW was not really a national presence. I remember a conversation in school circa 1997 where a new wrestling fan expressed surprise that WCW even existed before Nitro. I told them they were around as early as 1990, but as far as I knew it was just Ric Flair and Sting wrestling each other every show. I think that was a pretty common perception of where they were at the time.

Anyway, here's some evidence of what I'm talking about. WWF PPV Attendance: 16K, 15K, 20K, 17.5K, 8K (Tuesday in Texas). They're also regularly using the MSG on TV, putting over 10K people in the crowd. While I don't have attendance data for their house shows on cagematch, they did put on a house show in January '91 in the Cow Palace, and had over 6K in attendance. Wrestlemania's far lower this year, partially due to the industry struggling, partially due to Sgt. Slaughter being in the main event in an angle that was already irrelevant when it happened.

Compare that to WCW's attendance numbers: 6.8K, 6K, 7K, 8.9K. Those are the PPV figures: on TV, they'd generally aim for around 2,000 per show, with house shows obviously going lower then that. Also unlike WWF, WCW mostly stuck to its "home base" in the Southeast, with a lot of shows there, the Mid-South, or the Mid-Atlantic. There's also some shows in California, but WCW ignores the Tri-State, New England, Great Lakes and Midwest areas except for the occasional house show. Part of the gap was probably that 1991 was kind of a mess when it comes to WCW's direction, but during this period there's not really even a "war" because it's just a given that WWF is the big powerhouse and WCW is the smaller promotion with big investors behind it.

(WCW was also part of a super-show with New Japan that year that had an attendance of over 60K in the Tokyo Dome, but that's more New Japan's number than WCW's, so I'm not counting it)

I completely understand leaving WCW where it's at for balance purposes, but going forward with this mod I'm definitely going to lower WCW to cult and see how that changes things.

For my own personal game I lower WCW to cult, as I agree with you. I don't want a TNA type argument though so I avoided rating it as I truly see it.

The other problem comes from balance issues when testing as the AI kills WCW when I had them at cult in tests. When I self book it isn't a problem, but when I tested WCW at cult and left it to the AI, WCW is a total non-factor.

• 2 months later...
Just started playing as SMW. I see they start with a nationally syndicated TV show. Were they showed outside of the Tennessee area?

Well I am not sure how many markets they were in, so I cannot say if they were nationally syndicated or not, but I live in Rhode Island and we used to get their show on a UHF station here (Along with ECW and USWA) so they did have a show that was shown outside of their normal market.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="RatedRKO16" data-cite="RatedRKO16" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Does this mod have future debuting workers? If so, when do the last workers debut?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes there are. Latest I have come across is Joe Anoa'i (Roman Reigns) who debuts in July 2010.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mrwhippy" data-cite="mrwhippy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yes there are. Latest I have come across is Joe Anoa'i (Roman Reigns) who debuts in July 2010.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Nice! I'm just hesitant bc it's not a Genadi mod but it looks like a lot of work has been put into it. 1991 is the time period I can really start remembering.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know Genadi has set a pretty high standard as far as mods go, but the mods made by justtxyank and Hive are just as good.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I second this. I've got a 1991 game going right now. I'm starting to head into the summer months as the WWF. Earthquake has about a month left on his contract, but I'm probably not going to resign him. Rather, I'm going to use him to put Sid Justice over(who I signed from WCW when his contract came up) at the next PPV.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35547" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know Genadi has set a pretty high standard as far as mods go, but the mods made by justtxyank and Hive are just as good.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm going to give it a run tomorrow. I'm getting sick of the Golden Era.</p><p> </p><p> Also, this mod was made for TEW 13, right?</p>

Archived