Creating a Star from an Unknown

I've been playing TEW since 2005 (wow I feel old) and the one thing I've never been able to figure out is any way to vary taking a guy from unknown to upper-midcard/main eventer. In real life, there are occasional people shot to the top (Ryback kind of had this but they cooled him down significantly). In TEW you really can't do this.

I'm playing as TCW and hired Capt. Wrestling II out of Australia as I like his look and want to try to make him into a brawling babyface star. I don't want to have him working as a jobber first so I started his push at lower midcard. The only way I know how to increase his popularity is to just have him beat people more popular and with better momentum, but even the guys I hired as Passing the Torch (and who only have E- in overness) are complaining about losing to him.

I was just curious on thoughts and ideas for interesting ways to raise a (basically unknown) character's popularity that you may have come across in your games.

There just was over a page of posts on this very thing in the small questions thread, basically put him in angles as nonrated with other more popular guys, also throw him in a tag with a midcarder, and put them against combos of guys from enhancement to midcarders, and you shouldn't get complaints

For someone with decent star quality, and skills, it's not that hard to get someone with no popularity to about D+ popularity. However, any higher, takes a lot of work.

Yeah I had good luck with the Gauge Bros. I put them in the Syndicate with Cornell and Jay Chord after Wolf Hawkins' face turn in January 2014. Between Oct 2013 and Oct 2014 Matt Gauge went from D+ to B. Greg only went to C- but they are the current tag champs.

I was just curious if there were any variations on the ways, that's all. But it looks like I was doing it the way it's designed all along. Thanks guys!

Archived