Looking For Advice (Re: Neighbors)

alphadraighon

I live in an apartment complex.

So, a couple months ago I had some new neighbors move in. They are insanely loud. Between their kids running/stomping/kicking walls/screaming, the loud ass TV that they mounted to the wall we share, loud ass music, and the fact that the hang out on the landing we share smoking and shouting, it's pretty intolerable.

I actually had to move several things in my apartment because the vibrations caused by their noise causes anything glass to rattle, and because I'm afraid things will fall off the wall.

This will sometimes go on from as early as 9am to sometimes well past midnight.

I'm not overreacting. It's that bad.

So in the time since this has been a problem, I've left 3 notes on their door, spoken to them twice, and even reported them to the property manager (which I hate doing.) Nothing has worked. They'll quiet down for maybe a day or two (or a full week after I complained to the manager) but then it always just goes back to the way it was before. They genuinely seem to not care one iota.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions? Moving isn't an option, so I need to find a way to solve this issue without creating an enemy of the neighbors, and without running to the manager ever other week.

I live in an apartment complex.

So, a couple months ago I had some new neighbors move in. They are insanely loud. Between their kids running/stomping/kicking walls/screaming, the loud ass TV that they mounted to the wall we share, loud ass music, and the fact that the hang out on the landing we share smoking and shouting, it's pretty intolerable.

I actually had to move several things in my apartment because the vibrations caused by their noise causes anything glass to rattle, and because I'm afraid things will fall off the wall.

This will sometimes go on from as early as 9am to sometimes well past midnight.

I'm not overreacting. It's that bad.

So in the time since this has been a problem, I've left 3 notes on their door, spoken to them twice, and even reported them to the property manager (which I hate doing.) Nothing has worked. They'll quiet down for maybe a day or two (or a full week after I complained to the manager) but then it always just goes back to the way it was before. They genuinely seem to not care one iota.

I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions? Moving isn't an option, so I need to find a way to solve this issue without creating an enemy of the neighbors, and without running to the manager ever other week.

I hate to say it but there really is not much you can do beyond what you are already doing. I guess the only other option would be to involve the cops but I doubt you want to do that as you do not want to risk making an enemy out of them.

It sucks that you have been put into that position. I am not sure why there are so many people out there that do not have any sort of consideration for others.

I would wait for them to start doing this again and go to them and simply explain your position. Try to rationalize with them and make an honest effort to engage them and help them to understand that you experience everything they are doing. Sometimes when you live in close quarters of someone its hard to put yourself fin their shoes. You just sort of live your life and lets face it some people live the life of loud, party going people. Notes won't get it done and the property manager clearly is a poor one.

The next time this happens engage them ask them if you guys can figure out boundaries, some sort of "kept hours" explain to them that you have things vibrating off the wall in your home. If they blow you off or fail to respect you go to them again and let them know this is their final warning. You tried to be understanding and civil about this but they are disrespecting you. If they continue then involve the cops every single time. The police will tire of coming out there pretty quickly and take care of it.

Who cares if you make an enemy out of them you cannot continue to live as a prisoner in your own home because your neighbors are that disrespectful. Go to them, make them see your point of view if it doesn't work go to them again and let them know its their last chance and then just involve the police. Before you involve the police make sure you're not doing anything that can even remotely be considered wrong even the littlest things could spark a police war.

I agree with Stennick, I would try to reason with them face to face. Let them know when you would like it to be more quiet, and perhaps when you don't mind because you don't have to be up early, or what have you. When you live side by side like that, it can be just as loud in your room as it is in a room in their apartment, depending on the walls (sounds like they are pretty thin).

Just realize, if they aren't breaking any laws, there isn't going to be anything you can really do to stop them... and I'm guessing your not looking for a fight or getting the law involved.

A couple of things you can do to help yourself though, if it's actually possible. I'm guessing the vibrations on the wall is caused by Bass, which doesn't even have to be very loud to cause that if the walls aren't sturdy. You can use any kind of carpeting to muffle it out. I know it sounds crazy, but carpet on the walls is a great sound barrier, if you can make it work for you. I've known clubs to do this to make their place essentially sound proof, pushing thousands of watts of sound (mainly bass) inside yet hardly audible outside the building (besides when a door opens).

Anyways, my two cents is that your living by some party people. You might be able to wait them out, you might be able to get the law involved, you might get them to stop for a few days at a time, but I'm guessing that as soon as they start partying they will forget everything because they are having fun and not thinking about you (and sometimes probably legitimately just forget).

IF they are breaking sound ordinance laws in your area, the law might not be a bad idea... but I would definitely try reasoning with them first. You never know what might happen if they can see your point of view.

I've tried talking to them but got blown off. That's why I started with leaving notes on their door, and then the eventual call to the property manager.

I try to be reasonable about it. I realize that in a close space living arrangement there is going to be some noise that carries over. Maybe some of my noises carry over to their side. If they did, I would want them to tell me so I was aware of it.

But I shouldn't have to be forced to listen to their TV over my own. Which happens...I can actually hear the words of what they are watching over the sound of my own TV at least 3 times a week.

I also shouldn't have to modify my home to accommodate for them wanting to be jackasses, but as of this point I'd rather just not have to deal with it. Well, I'd rather that the situation be resolved in a respectful manner without anyone having to make major lifestyle changes, but that just isn't likely.

Just as a point of my issue...since about 10 this morning I've heard nothing but noise from them. Mostly their kid stomping and kicking and screaming, but also the adults talking and their radio.

Keep doing what you are doing. Eventually, the property manager WILL do something about it, if only to get YOU off his back.

Trust me, attrition works. One of you is going to give up, and you if you really believe you are right, then you can out-attrition them.

Call the cops...I am sure the municipality you live in has noise ordinances. Enough times with the cops out there the management will HAVE to do something.

You would think that would be the case but a lot of the times even that does not work. I have neighbor who have a basketball hoop facing the street. He and his friends are all in their late teens and so during the summer they are outside playing basketball well past eleven and all you can hear is them shouting and the ball hitting the pavement throughout the night.

I've had to call the cops on them multiple times and nothing happens. The cops show up tell them to stop and five minutes later they are back at it. Only now they make even more noise because I called the cops on them. One night I called the cops on them three times and they were still out there playing basketball until well past three in the morning.

<p>Ugh, I've been in a similar situation before. Not a pleasant few months.</p><p> </p><p>

I didn't notice anywhere in the thread, but do you have other neighbours nearby or at least in the victinity who might also be effected? If so, ask around, because it can make a lot of difference if there's more than just two parties involved.</p>

<p>Cops can only do something if it is indeed a violation of a sound ordinance, and even then if your the only one complaining, and it's very borderline infraction, you will be the one looked at as a troublemaker, even by your management... Especially if your neighbor has other neighbors over and they don't verify your complaints (make you look like the bad guy in all this).</p><p> </p><p>

That's why I suggested other methods.</p><p> </p><p>

Also, I wouldn't feel right to acknowledge that sometimes buildings are built so poorly, that the sound from one room actually sounds better in another. What this means is, you might be hearing the stuff that's going on in your neighbors apartment at the same level they do, or even worse, you might here it better.</p><p> </p><p>

To give a quick example of what I am talking about: I used to DJ in a room at a club that was an add-on. Now, the acoustics in this room were so poor it took around 4 times the power to get the same "sound" in it.... but the main room you could here very well, if not as good as if you were in the main room. To make the problem even worse, you could here the sound from the add-on room outside the back wall, better then if you were in that room.</p><p> </p><p>

If any of this is relevant to your situation, here is what can happen: Cops come, knock on neighbors door, tell them to keep it down, but notice when they are there that the sound wasn't half as bad as reported (because it's no more in there then it is in your area). So they don't see a "real" problem or breaking of any laws, and see it as only a "keep the piece" type action.... "You have a neighbor that called because of the sound, can you keep it down a bit?" and it comes off more like "Although I don't agree with it being to loud, could you just lower the level a bit so we don't have any more calls please?" </p><p> </p><p>

IF during the time it is the worse, the cops were to go to <strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">YOUR</span></strong> apartment, and hear it, you might actually get better results.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

EDIT: Although off topic, I have an example of how people can look like trouble makers, when they really aren't. I know a lady that lives across the street from a club... This club is basically just a stripper club. It's not THAT loud outside, but she can here it in her house (the bass normally) while trying to watch TV. She keeps her volume on the TV at such a low level I can hardly here it anyways... but that's how she likes it (everything must be really quiet around... well, except her voice). She calls the cops probably a dozen times per every two weeks on that club.... She calls for noise, people outside the club basically making party noises (and yes, the drugs, the prostitution, etc.), and cars being parked where they aren't supposed to be parked, etc. The cops are friendly to her, tell her to call them anytime and they will take care of the problem. The bigger picture is: That's ONLY what they say to her. To everyone else they say "I wish she would move if she doesn't like it there!" as well as other things not so nice... Meaning, they see her as the problem, instead of what she is complaining about... Yet, she is actually right, she lives in a HOME, on land that is designated as a home, and therefore all the noise ordinances should be enforced, as well as parking going on (especially when they are parking in front of her home and yard, to go to the club). She IS in the right, yet she is not looked as being in the right, and honestly the problem is never going to stop unless the place goes out of business.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35793" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You would think that would be the case but a lot of the times even that does not work. I have neighbor who have a basketball hoop facing the street. He and his friends are all in their late teens and so during the summer they are outside playing basketball well past eleven and all you can hear is them shouting and the ball hitting the pavement throughout the night.<p> </p><p> I've had to call the cops on them multiple times and nothing happens. The cops show up tell them to stop and five minutes later they are back at it. Only now they make even more noise because I called the cops on them. One night I called the cops on them three times and they were still out there playing basketball until well past three in the morning.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's the problem basically. Unless they are on your property, using your basketball hoop, you don't really have a legit complaint unless they are playing music loudly enough to break an ordinance... Funny thing is, you're never going to be able to prove that they are too noisy, because as soon as they see the cops they quiet down. Just some teens outside playing night time basketball, which is a whole lot better then what they catch other teens doing at night.</p>

alpha, file a complaint with the property management company. In writing. Don't talk to anyone (talk isn't worth the air consumed), put it in writing. Heck, get it notarized while you're at it. You need to accumulate evidence that would allow you to break your lease if moving becomes the only form of relief. Heck, set up a camera on your door showing the landing and their activities.

When the property management company does nothing, you then take it a step higher and file a complaint with the local government authorities. You're essentially trying to become such a burr in the saddle of the property manager, that they're forced to actually do their damn jobs. I would be willing to bet that if the property manager inspected the neighbors' home, they'd discover damage to the apartment that wasn't present before they moved in. Your neighbors are costing the management money (in more ways than one if you move out) and generally speaking, that's not a good thing for anyone in real estate.

But stop acting like you're the weirdo in this situation. You want what you are entitled to and that is an environment that fits the conditions spelled out in your lease. My lease says, explicitly, that noise must be confined to my dwelling and not easily audible to the units around me. I had to buy a headphone amp to play my bass but I have no problem with that. But those people with vocal dogs, can get visits from the property manager. You just want the folks in charge to enforce the terms of the legal document they insisted you agree to and sign.

The meek will inherit the earth.....after everyone else is through with it. Don't be meek.

It sucks that you have been put into that position. I am not sure why there are so many people out there that do not have any sort of consideration for others.

Not necessarily. Me, for example. I'm up all night long working, and I walk around my apartment all night long (home office is on the opposite end of the apartment, y'see). Now, wood being what it is in flooring, it creaks. So I would imagine the people who live below me might take issue with it. I haven't heard of any complaints but it could be an issue of contention. However, that isn't me being inconsiderate. It's me doing what I need to be doing. This case I completely agree with you, but if it was less extreme, it could be people who just don't know.

Call the cops...I am sure the municipality you live in has noise ordinances. Enough times with the cops out there the management will HAVE to do something.

EDIT: Although off topic, I have an example of how people can look like trouble makers, when they really aren't. I know a lady that lives across the street from a club... This club is basically just a stripper club. It's not THAT loud outside, but she can here it in her house (the bass normally) while trying to watch TV. She keeps her volume on the TV at such a low level I can hardly here it anyways... but that's how she likes it (everything must be really quiet around... well, except her voice). She calls the cops probably a dozen times per every two weeks on that club.... She calls for noise, people outside the club basically making party noises (and yes, the drugs, the prostitution, etc.), and cars being parked where they aren't supposed to be parked, etc. The cops are friendly to her, tell her to call them anytime and they will take care of the problem. The bigger picture is: That's ONLY what they say to her. To everyone else they say "I wish she would move if she doesn't like it there!" as well as other things not so nice... Meaning, they see her as the problem, instead of what she is complaining about... Yet, she is actually right, she lives in a HOME, on land that is designated as a home, and therefore all the noise ordinances should be enforced, as well as parking going on (especially when they are parking in front of her home and yard, to go to the club). She IS in the right, yet she is not looked as being in the right, and honestly the problem is never going to stop unless the place goes out of business.

chris, that isn't off-topic. That's real talk. I dunno where everyone lives but I can tell you for a fact that in NYC, noise ordinances are not enforced within the core boroughs (Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, most parts of Manhattan). If you live in the meatpacking district (Manhattan) and the party at the Gansevoort has gotten outta hand, TOO DAMN BAD. The cops won't do a freakin' thing about it.

Personally I've tried just about everything short of challenging the man to a duel. They just don't seem to care, and I don't have many options left.

The property manager didn't even return my last phone call. And while we have a local noise ordinance, it doesn't kick in until after 9pm, by which point I've been listening to it all day long already.

Earlier this week I left another note, explaining the lack of respect for my household and that I wasn't going to tolerate it anymore. Things quieted down for a few days. Then today it went all insane again.

Come Monday I'm just going to have to go down to the office and complain in person. I hate to go that route, but as several people pointed out I'm well within my rights to demand that the property uphold the rules and respect leasing agreement.

Archived