Not extremely sure where to put this thread. I want to do an MMA fantasy draft, either a hypothetical all time draft where everyone is in their prime or with the current MMA landscape. The draft could just be for fun or I could turn it into a WMMA diary of some sort. Anyone interested?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<p>I've never done it either. I just wanted to do a draft with real life fighters. After we're done we could set up a poll to see which companies roster people would want to watch more, maybe book some cards against each other and run the simulations of the matches in WMMA using the Modern Warriors mod. Or I could set the rosters up in WMMA, letting the computers control them and see who would win out. </p><p> </p><p>

As for the actual draft, if we are doing it with the current 2013 talent pool, I think it would work best with 2 people, MAYBE 3 (Any more and the talent would be spread too thin). The draft would be snake style meaning whoever picked first in round 1 would pick last in round 2 to try to even things out. Once we got to lower level fighters, we could take multiple fighters at once to make things go faster. </p><p> </p><p>

Basically, we'd be the Dana White's of our own companies with every active MMA fighter available to be selected. The company can have it's own rules and weight classes. If you want to get rid of or combine weight classes, you can.</p><p> </p><p>

Finally, I'd like whoever participate in this to be a pretty big MMA fan. I don't really want to draft against someone who after they get past the main eventers don't really know who they are picking.</p>

Any input on how it would work or what we would do with it?

It'd be cool to draft a fighter from each weight class and then use our draft to form a fight team (like AKA, etc). Then the commissioner offers fights and we can accept or decline for each event.

Weight Classes - BW, FW, LW, WW, MW, LHW, HW for Fight Teams of 7 fighters. If we had 6 "owners" it would total 42 fighters - so each event would have all of the fighters represented. What do you guys think?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="popyura" data-cite="popyura" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36360" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It'd be cool to draft a fighter from each weight class and then use our draft to form a fight team (like AKA, etc). Then the commissioner offers fights and we can accept or decline for each event. <p> </p><p> Weight Classes - BW, FW, LW, WW, MW, LHW, HW for Fight Teams of 7 fighters. If we had 6 "owners" it would total 42 fighters - so each event would have all of the fighters represented. What do you guys think?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's more like a fight manager scenario. I was thinking this would be more of an owner thing where you're trying to draft to get the best guys/match ups and divisions you possibly can.</p>

Certainly if we're going to have everyone who's interested be in this, we have to go with popyura's idea. With it being his idea, I don't really know how he envisioned it being implemented. My main question is what happens to the guys that don't get drafted? If Glover Teixeira doesn't get drafted does he just cease to exist or can fighters on our teams fight fighters that don't have teams?

Certainly if we're going to have everyone who's interested be in this, we have to go with popyura's idea. With it being his idea, I don't really know how he envisioned it being implemented. My main question is what happens to the guys that don't get drafted? If Glover Teixeira doesn't get drafted does he just cease to exist or can fighters on our teams fight fighters that don't have teams?

I think it would be cool to use the UFC Roster (Maybe bring in Bellator's heavy hitters). We could move the Flyweight up to BW so that the division will have more fighters. For the fighters hat don't get selected, the commissioner can offer fights with the leftovers when a fighter is coming off of a loss?

With all the heavy hitters who have already responded - this could be an insane diary!

Sounds good to me.Besides taking some of the Bellator guys I would add some of the bigger named Free Agents also. Even though it would be huge maybe we should make up a list divided by divisions so that we know who is eligible to be drafted and who has already been picked. Unless everyone feels it would be easier just to go off the top of our heads. .

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Afroduck" data-cite="Afroduck" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36360" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Sounds good to me.Besides taking some of the Bellator guys I would add some of the bigger named Free Agents also. Even though it would be huge maybe we should make up a list divided by divisions so that we know who is eligible to be drafted and who has already been picked. Unless everyone feels it would be easier just to go off the top of our heads. .</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Maybe a snake draft by weight? Could be easier to track.</p>

I don't think going weight by weight would work with multiple people, because once you got further down someone would be missing out. I agree with the snake draft though and I would just say pick from whichever Weight class you wanted. Everybody gets what 2 or 3 fighters from each weight. Can go through after each round and make sure no one double picked a fighter

<p>- We're gonna draft fight teams (2 of each weight class HW-BW) Flyweights will be moved back into BW. </p><p> </p><p>

- It will be a snake draft. </p><p> </p><p>

- I don't know a fair way to determine draft order. I was thinking maybe creating virtual representatives in WMMA with equal stats and doing a quick simulation tournament. The better the virtual you does, the better your pick is.</p><p> </p><p>

- The field will be currently active MMA fighters (Includes guys in Bellator and otherwise).</p><p> </p><p>

- Picks can be from any weight class in any round, but once you have drafted 2 fighters for a division, you can't draft anymore from that division.</p><p> </p><p>

- When you draft a fighter, you must specify what weight they will fight at. Fighters won't be allowed to move up and down after you've drafted them. Most fighters weight is straight forward, but guys like Wanderlei Silva, Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen (off the top of my head) can be drafted at 185 or 205. BJ Penn could be picked at 155 or 170 and I think Jon Jones should be able to be selected at HW. There are some hypothetical situations like Daniel Cormier at LHW, Rashad Evans at MW, and Lyoto Machida at MW that I think could also be allowed depending upon what you guys think.</p><p> </p><p>

- If we could agree on a time to all be on to draft, we could get it all done in a night. If not (which is more likely) it will have to be done over a longer period of time. If this is the case, it's hugely important that you check this thread as much as possible to make the draft run smoothly.</p><p> </p><p>

Okay so if you guys are interested can you post again to let me know who should be included? Any questions/suggestions/changes that you guys have?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="wshred13" data-cite="wshred13" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36360" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>- We're gonna draft fight teams (2 of each weight class HW-BW) Flyweights will be moved back into BW. <p> </p><p> - It will be a snake draft. </p><p> </p><p> - I don't know a fair way to determine draft order. I was thinking maybe creating virtual representatives in WMMA with equal stats and doing a quick simulation tournament. The better the virtual you does, the better your pick is.</p><p> </p><p> - The field will be currently active MMA fighters (Includes guys in Bellator and otherwise).</p><p> </p><p> - Picks can be from any weight class in any round, but once you have drafted 2 fighters for a division, you can't draft anymore from that division.</p><p> </p><p> - When you draft a fighter, you must specify what weight they will fight at. Fighters won't be allowed to move up and down after you've drafted them. Most fighters weight is straight forward, but guys like Wanderlei Silva, Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen (off the top of my head) can be drafted at 185 or 205. BJ Penn could be picked at 155 or 170 and I think Jon Jones should be able to be selected at HW. There are some hypothetical situations like Daniel Cormier at LHW, Rashad Evans at MW, and Lyoto Machida at MW that I think could also be allowed depending upon what you guys think.</p><p> </p><p> - If we could agree on a time to all be on to draft, we could get it all done in a night. If not (which is more likely) it will have to be done over a longer period of time. If this is the case, it's hugely important that you check this thread as much as possible to make the draft run smoothly.</p><p> </p><p> Okay so if you guys are interested can you post again to let me know who should be included? Any questions/suggestions/changes that you guys have?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> can i join, if you guys have the room</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Sabu" data-cite="Sabu" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="36360" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>can i join, if you guys have the room</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yep should be fine.</p>

I think we could probably pick in order then we signed up for the draft. Going last isn't that big of a deal as you would be able to go first in the next round. Either way I will keep checking back hopefully we can get this moving forward

Archived