[HYPE]Risky Business (January 1985)

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another promotion you can add in All South Wrestling. Run by Ann Gunkel.

They were on TV in Georgia.

Mr. Wrestling II worked there and Freddie Miller was PBP.

Any info on when they opened? And would you happen to have a logo ready for them in your next nGo update? :D

Any info on when they opened? And would you happen to have a logo ready for them in your next nGo update? :D

Yes, I'm working on a logo. :)

They reopened in 1985 (January) after closing down in 1975.

They ran for only a few months in 1985 before going out of business again. I only suggest them because they DID have Freddie Miller and Mr. Wrestling II working there and the wrestling scene is a little sparse in the US to start with in the beta.

Some names that worked there in 1985:

Mr. Wrestling II

Tommy Rich

Scott Irwin

Mr. Olympia

Randy Rose

Doug Somers

Nick Patrick

Chic Donovan

Apparently Rick Stewart also did some announcing there, but the only tape I've seen has Freddie Miller.

Thanks for that info. I'll work on trying to get the company into the data.

Some feedback.

1) WWF is too popular in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic and Mid South.

The WWF struggled in these markets, with many shows they held drawing under 500 fans. When they participated as part of a state fair or something they could hit over 1000, but JCP was outdrawing the WWF in the Mid Atlantic and the South East still at the point in 1985.

2) JCP isn't popular enough. Regularly drawing over 4,000 in the South East and Mid Atlantic for their house shows, hitting over 10k for big shows. The first AWA/JCP join show in the Tri State that year drew something like 18k.

WWF wasn't on tv everywhere either.

Some feedback.

1) WWF is too popular in the Southeast, Mid-Atlantic and Mid South.

The WWF struggled in these markets, with many shows they held drawing under 500 fans. When they participated as part of a state fair or something they could hit over 1000, but JCP was outdrawing the WWF in the Mid Atlantic and the South East still at the point in 1985.

2) JCP isn't popular enough. Regularly drawing over 4,000 in the South East and Mid Atlantic for their house shows, hitting over 10k for big shows. The first AWA/JCP join show in the Tri State that year drew something like 18k.

WWF wasn't on tv everywhere either.

On the first two, I can definitely make those adjustments. On the last one, I know the WWF wasn't on TV everywhere (unless you count them being on USA Network), but I think giving them a national syndicated deal was a lot easier than giving them a bunch of local deals that eventually could cause problems for players playing as the WWF with networks blocking negotiations and what not because you can't pre-set when TV deals are set to expire in the editor. So I'm going to have to politely say negatory on the last one for gameplay purposes so it doesn't throw things out of whack in TEW terms.

Minor note on logos:

All star (Tomko) should be ASW 2

All star (UK) should be ASW

I might also suggest renaming the Tomko version to NWA All Star Wrestling instead of having All Star Wrestling (UK) as a file name. Or just have one be All Star Wrestling and one be All-Star Wrestling.

Killer Kowalski also named his promotion All-Star Wrestling for a brief time. So personally I would suggest:

NWA All Star Wrestling (Tomko)

All Star Wrestling (UK)

All-Star Wrestling (Kowalski)

Without the names in parenthesis.

I've made adjustments to the WWF, JCP, AWA and Mid South. Here's where they're at currently:

WWF

USA

Tri State- 65

New England- 60

Great Lakes, Mid West and South West- 50

Puerto Rico- 40

North West and Hawaii- 35

Mid Atlantic, Mid South and South East- 30

Canada

Ontario- 40

Everywhere else in Canada- 30

Japan still set at 10, though I have considered dropping them to zero as the WWF still stays at Cult even at zero in Japan.

JCP

USA

Mid Atlantic and South East- 60

Mid South- 55

Great Lakes and Tri State- 50

Mid West, New England and Puerto Rico- 40

North West, South West and Hawaii- 30

Canada

Ontario- 25

Everywhere else in Canada- 20

Also dropped Japan and Mexico (forgot I gave them pop in Mexico) to zero. JCP is at Cult with these settings.

AWA

USA

Don't know if I can really justify raising their pop too much because attendance was about to be on the decline around this time. Isn't that why they moved TV tapings to Las Vegas, because it was getting hard for them to fill arenas? Anyway...

Mid West- 55

Great Lakes- 50

South West- 45

New England, North West and Tri State- 40

Mid Atlantic, Mid South and South East- 35

Puerto Rico and Hawaii- 30

Canada

Ontario and Prairies- 40

Everywhere else in Canada- 30

Dropped their pop everywhere else around the world to zero. Under these settings, they're at Regional.

Mid South

USA

South East- 55

Mid South- 50

Mid Atlantic- 40

Puerto Rico- 25

Everywhere else in the USA- 20

No pop around the world. They're at Regional under these settings.

Minor note on logos:

All star (Tomko) should be ASW 2

All star (UK) should be ASW

I might also suggest renaming the Tomko version to NWA All Star Wrestling instead of having All Star Wrestling (UK) as a file name. Or just have one be All Star Wrestling and one be All-Star Wrestling.

Killer Kowalski also named his promotion All-Star Wrestling for a brief time. So personally I would suggest:

NWA All Star Wrestling (Tomko)

All Star Wrestling (UK)

All-Star Wrestling (Kowalski)

Without the names in parenthesis.

Thanks for this note. I'll go fix this now.

Alrighty. What about JCP? And were AWA holding shows around the world?

Well All Japan was still part of the NWA, so any workers from JCP that went over there were under the NWA banner, not JCP banner.

WWF co-promoted and co-branded their shows with New Japan. I don't think JCP did this because they weren't allowed to by the NWA agreement.

I don't think AWA ever promoted a show in Japan, but of course they did have a working agreement with All Japan and sent their champ over their to draw money.

Well All Japan was still part of the NWA, so any workers from JCP that went over there were under the NWA banner, not JCP banner.

WWF co-promoted and co-branded their shows with New Japan. I don't think JCP did this because they weren't allowed to by the NWA agreement.

I don't think AWA ever promoted a show in Japan, but of course they did have a working agreement with All Japan and sent their champ over their to draw money.

Thanks for this info. I'll keep JCP and AWA at zero for Japan as I think their workers having some pop there would be sufficient. WWF will be at 10 for Japan.

Also, as for your All Star naming suggestions, right now, I have it as:

Tomko's: NWA All Star Wrestling, abbreviated NWA ASW

UK All Star: All Star Wrestling, abbreviated ASW

Kowalski's All Star: All-Star Wrestling, abbreviated A-SW. Not sure how else to abbreviate that one without parentheses, unless I do KASW for Kowalkski's All Star Wrestling (and name it as such).

Thanks for this info. I'll keep JCP and AWA at zero for Japan as I think their workers having some pop there would be sufficient. WWF will be at 10 for Japan.

Also, as for your All Star naming suggestions, right now, I have it as:

Tomko's: NWA All Star Wrestling, abbreviated NWA ASW

UK All Star: All Star Wrestling, abbreviated ASW

Kowalski's All Star: All-Star Wrestling, abbreviated A-SW. Not sure how else to abbreviate that one without parentheses, unless I do KASW for Kowalkski's All Star Wrestling (and name it as such).

Yeah, lol, Kowalski's is tricky. In RisingStorms I have it as AllStar. You could also just leave it named the IWF (international wrestling federation) as eventually it becomes that and most modders use that name.

He promoted shows under "Killer Kowalski's All-Star Wrestling" until sometime in the early 90s. Then it became the IWF. KASW might be fine honestly.

Edit: There's a logo for Kowalski's in the pack under ASW_KK

Yeah, lol, Kowalski's is tricky. In RisingStorms I have it as AllStar. You could also just leave it named the IWF (international wrestling federation) as eventually it becomes that and most modders use that name.

He promoted shows under "Killer Kowalski's All-Star Wrestling" until sometime in the early 90s. Then it became the IWF. KASW might be fine honestly.

That's what I might do, go with KASW. And running a test, JCP ran their TV taping at a sold out Boutwell Memorial Auditorium with 5,000 people in attendance, so hopefully I've got their pop going in the right direction now.

Oh, may also want to ask Oyaji about how shows were branded, but I think you've got the right idea to give the workers popularity but not really the promotions outside of the WWF. Most American promotions only looked at Japan as a way to get a payday by sending their workers over there. The WWF was the first promotion to really look at international markets as a way to eventually get their own shows promoted on television.

Alrighty. What about JCP? And were AWA holding shows around the world?

There was a weekly TV show called World Pro Wrestling (not to be confused with the New Japan TV show of the same name) that aired in Japan around '85. It featured World Class, St. Louis, Crockett, AWA, CMLL, UWF, and even the odd WWF match though it mostly focused on NWA/AWA/WCCW. While I'm unaware of these companies promoting cards in Japan in '85, there was a level of visibility between this show, the heavy coverage in the magazines, and the strong interpromotional talent trading between Crockett/NWA and All Japan along with Vince and Inoki/Shinma having an agreement that would come to an end later in '85 iirc.

That's what I might do, go with KASW. And running a test, JCP ran their TV taping at a sold out Boutwell Memorial Auditorium with 5,000 people in attendance, so hopefully I've got their pop going in the right direction now.

Yeah, it's too bad we can't be more specific in the game with territories.

JCP wasn't running Alabama of course, that was Continental territory. But JCP did run Georgia which is no doubt South-East.

There was a weekly TV show called World Pro Wrestling (not to be confused with the New Japan TV show of the same name) that aired in Japan around '85. It featured World Class, St. Louis, Crockett, AWA, CMLL, UWF, and even the odd WWF match though it mostly focused on NWA/AWA/WCCW. While I'm unaware of these companies promoting cards in Japan in '85, there was a level of visibility between this show, the heavy coverage in the magazines, and the strong interpromotional talent trading between Crockett/NWA and All Japan along with Vince and Inoki/Shinma having an agreement that would come to an end later in '85 iirc.

Did World Pro Wrestling have the matches branded as "AWA match" "CMLL match" etc?

I will say this, I have a huge Japanese magazine collection from 1980-1995 and they never hesitated to tell you where a worker worked. Japan treated American with a lot of respect, hyping their workers and champions.

In TEW terms though, would you say the company had drawing power? That's the question, because you don't want the companies trying to hold house shows in Japan or something.

I don't think JCP would have been able to break with NWA and then hold a JCP Presents: Bushido 1985 show in Japan and draw without heavily promoting the wrestlers. See what I mean?

Some relationships:

Bruiser Brody / Larry Matsyik friendship

Bruiser Brody / John Nord friendship

I'd also give Brody/Nord some tag chemistry as they loved working together.

Alter ego:

King Kong Brody for Bruiser Brody in the following promotions (100% of the time)

AWA

WWA

Boom Boom Bundy for Kind Kong Bundy (100% of the time)

AWA

Personal preference on stats:

Jody Hamilton should have an increase to his acting and microphone skills and charisma with a reduction in his star quality perhaps. His promos were great and he did a great deal with Bob Armstrong in Continental. I'd also increase his menace to 80 as he was very believable as a dangerous worker.

Edit: Also, Jody Hamilton should have an alter ego as "The Flame" in Continental. I believe he was already there to start 1985, but he surely shows up there as the Flame shortly after if not to feud with Bob Armstrong.

Bulldog Bob Brown:

I would take his charisma, acting and microphone down.

Charisma to maybe 50, microphone to 55, acting to 55 and star quality to 50.

He barely ever worked outside of Central States and Canada and was only ever put on top for a few promotions. He never really could draw a dime and his interviews were brutal. I would also give him 55 announcing and set announcer and color to sometimes. He would be a play by play announcer in Canada as well.

He also needs a "best friend" relationship with Geigel as that is why he was on top for Central States at a time where he was dreadful.

I just fixed him in Rising Storms as well.

Archived