Player's Guide: What I have Learned

Can anyone describe the differences and skill ratings that make DB's better at zone vs. man defense?

From my archieves when BBCF first came out...the following info was provided by Arlie:

COVER CORNER:

cover

speed

agility

accel

instincts

jump

ZONE CORNER:

cover

agility

instincts

speed

accel

jump

PRESS CORNER:

cover

speed

strength

instincts

agility

accel

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also...a blast from the past...gospel according to Arlie:

PASS COVERAGE ASSIGNMENTS...4-3 DEFENSE

2WR 3WR 4WR

PC- SE SE SE

SC- FL FL FL

FS- x WR3 WR3

SS- TE TE WR4

MLB- RB RB RB

NICKEL DEFENSE

2WR 3WR 4WR

PC- SE SE SE

SC- FL FL FL

FS- x x WR4

SS- x TE x

5- TE WR3 WR3

MLB- RB RB RB

DIME DEFENSE

2WR 3WR 4WR

PC- SE SE SE

SC- FL FL FL

FS- x x x

SS- x x x

5- TE WR3 WR3

10- RB TE WR4

Back in the day when all called my own games...I would actually "fill" in the blanks with my team's attributes on the left and then pencil in my opponents abilities by receiver. When the opponents offensive set was "called"... this handy-dandy little pregame matrix would be consulted as part of my defensive play calling routine.

• 2 weeks later...
Figure out how to minimize big plays, OOP and missed tackles. Pay attention to your OLine on offense, minimize negative plays.

How do you do that? Does that have something to do with the post-game report email? I'm not sure how that is helpful.

Also, I'm curious to know how you guys actually gameplan before each game for each opponent. Is there a series of things you check and then tweak based on your opponent? What are those things? Sometimes I feel like I'm just flying blind.

Well as far as big plays, you use instincts. Players with higher instincts usually are better at sniffing out plays. But as far as preventing negative plays and having good matchups, you have to look at the strengths of your players vs the ones opposing them. You got a cornerback with 57 tackling skill covering a receiver with 70 agility? You'll probably get big plays. Your MLB only has 58 point of attack skills vs 90 pass rush? Don't be surprised if you get run on in the middle. Your SLB only has 30 jumping while their TE has 45? don't be surprised if he catches a lot of balls. You won't want to have an OT with a speed of 8 protecting your QBs blindside vs a DE with a speed of 55. It's all a matter of skill vs skill, you check the players you have and match them up the best against the players your opponent has.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
It simply amazes me a new version of this game has not been made!!!

Of all the games this college football one would be at the top of my list. There is nothing out there that isn't more than 7 years old and BBFG is fast approaching 10. It's still a very good game but with all the changes over the course of time, wow is all I can say.

On this thread the info William added in here is great. I used a lot of his ideas when breaking things down in my own games.

• 1 year later...
I've read this thread several times over and running the ball is just ridiculous. The game engine just seems to totally disregard match-ups when it comes my team. I'm trying to play out one of my games right now and my starting LG is rated 85 in Run Block, 68 Strength, 82 Aggr. My LT is 77 RB, 69 STR. The opposing team DT is 64 POA and 24 STR. Let me repeat that. 24 Strength. The DE thats lined up against my LT is 46 POA and 48 STR. A CLEAR match-up advantage in my favor and yet i'm getting no yardage. I'm getting insane results like the SS is closing up the hole as fast as it opened or whatever the play by play is. Here's the thing... the SS is not blitzing. Their in a zone coverage yet their ridiculously weak D-linemen are somehow holding the point of attack long enough for the SS who is not blitzing to close the hole before my RB can get through it. And this is on quick straight ahead plays like "Power" or "Straight - LG". I've restarted this game like 4 times because i can't make it through three offensive drives without getting frustrated when i look at my run totals and i'm averaging like 1 yard a carry. I shouldn't have to "loosen up the D" or trick the CPU by running in pass situations. Not in this match-up. I have a clear talent advantage that's producing ridiculous results. This is what steered me away from calling plays back in the early years of this game because the fun is just sucked out of it with crap like this. I'm convinced that there's a difficulty programmed against the human in this aspect of the game unless you have 5 All-American type linemen like the ones posted earlier in this thread. I should be able to play to the strength of my team in the right match-up and not be forced to throw the ball 50+ times against a weak D-line to move the ball and score points. That defeats the purpose of recruiting, gameplanning, match-up's, etc.

<p>not quite.</p><p> </p><p>

Yes, I do agree that the running seems to be skewed against the human, but there are more things to OL usage.</p><p> </p><p>

Do you know their hands ratings? If an OL has weak hands he can be pushed off balance by someone with better hand placement and all his strength is for nothing.</p><p> </p><p>

Also, do you use conventional formations? If you keep running I formation or pro formation-up the middle eventually teams will know this and adapt to it. So use other formations like wing and wishbone and stuff.</p><p> </p><p>

That is called in game adaptations. Even the best recruits and players can be failed by poor coaching</p><p> </p><p>

I play as Kentucky now and I don't always have stellar talent but even I can get good rushing yards out of them sometimes.</p>

Nah man its no excuse for this stuff. What formation i run out of should not have that severe of an impact when the talent gap is that wide. Teams know what formations and what plays the teams they're facing are going to run but you still have to have the physical ability to stop it. My offense is doesn't include those option-like formations so i don't run them (they're marked red). My RB's are not fast so it doesn't make sense to run a lot of outside plays but the few i run also are stuffed. Excuses have always been made for this aspect of the game and what "may" be happening under the hood of the game engine but it's funny how none of this applies to the CPU. If they have the talent advantage on me they can pretty much run at will. It's just skewed. I've owned this game too long and experienced it too much to believe otherwise.

<p>I said at the beginning of my post that the running was skewed against the human.</p><p> </p><p>

Then I offered ways to get around that. </p><p> </p><p>

Skewed or not, the game is how it is. and since an update does not seem to be happening, we can either play how it is and scheme differently or not.</p><p> </p><p>

You do realize that you can still run formations that are marked red, right? The better the talent level, the less the penalty</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I just started a game with Charlotte, who are a bottom five team and have maybe two players who are rated in the yellow, with the rest worse. I've scheduled a very soft schedule in our first season, but we just got blown out by New Mexico State after allowing eight sacks, two interceptions and multiple fumbles. Our defense is mediocre but easily the best part of the team. What can be done to improve this terrible team?

• 2 months later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="mikemajestic33" data-cite="mikemajestic33" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="37477" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>anybody have problem with a runtime error? I keep getting a run time error saying Run Time Error '48' Error in <a href="http://mega-moolah-slot.com" rel="external nofollow">downloading mega moolah online slots</a>? Anybody know what to do to get the came up and running?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm having this issue. Any fix?</p>