Ea Ufc

bigtplaystew

Anyone get it/play it? Thoughts?

Here's mine (spoiler free):

Overall the game is extremely limited in what you can do. One-off exhibitions fights. Fight online. Or play career mode. That's it. No tournament modes or create-an-event modes which have been in place for some time. Their exclusion is baffling to me. I can't imagine that those two modes would have taken a ton of time to put in, certainly not as much as the myriad of terrible videos from fighters that pop up in the career mode.

So let's get into that mode, since it's where a player would spend most of their time in single player. Career Mode in this game is o.k. You have three training mini games you'll be prompted to do. You can't pick which three you do, the game selects them for you. Most of them are mind numbingly easy. A handful are pretty tough. A small number are utterly broken and screw you over, which is frustrating to say the least. I'll never get why the "minigame" approach to training is preferred over sparring with a fighter who mimics your next opponent in career mode. Spar him three times to learn his game. Earn points based on how well you do. Apply those points to the attributes you wish. It would focus career mode on actual fighting (crazy I know) and be less punishing and more...and I know this is a wild idea.. fun to play. Another is that you take career damage. So if you fight in a number of toe-to-toe brawls you will be forced to retire sooner than you would if you come out and get first round KOs or Subs. Seems like a great idea at first. But in reality it kind of feels like the mode punishes you for trying to actually have fun fights with back and forth exchanges and encourages you to exploit it. Doesn't make much sense to me.

The in-cage fighting is not great either. In development the team said last time the fighting felt very "rock em sock em robots" and that the focus on this game would be fluidity and realism. They utterly failed at that aspect. The game is STILL very rock em sock robots only this time it's slower in the stand up. There aren't a ton of moves, and the control scheme is slightly too complex. The ground game is o.k. It's harder than Undisputed 3 but not necessarily better or worse. There's more positions and it's harder to defend which is probably how it should be. Still could use some tweaking so it doesn't eat up as much clock as it does. The submission system is not great, but it beats the hell out of shining the controller (which you don't do at all in this game) so I won't beat them up for that.

Online mode is cool but I won't bother with it. Lots of people cheese to advance in rankings and you're kind of resorted to out cheesing the cheesers as a whole. Playing against friends though looks like it would be fun.

Overall I'm disappointed in the game. It's not terrible but by no means is this what I was hoping for with the large development window they had. There isn't a damn thing "next gen" about this game. I much rather would have had them spend the time tweaking it's finer points and releasing it on the last gen consoles.

TL,DR: It's mediocre at best.

<p>I played and really enjoyed Undisputed 3 so was thinking about maybe picking this up but I guess I won't</p><p> </p><p>

There is no arcade mode like the defend/challenge for the belt?</p><p> </p><p>

Even the classic fights mode from that game was something I really liked as well instead of just doing one off random fights</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38127" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I played and really enjoyed Undisputed 3 so was thinking about maybe picking this up but I guess I won't<p> </p><p> There is no arcade mode like the defend/challenge for the belt?</p><p> </p><p> Even the classic fights mode from that game was something I really liked as well instead of just doing one off random fights</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> My one facebook friend plays the online mode a lot and has been loving it. There's a league and seasons and stuff. I don't know. I found mostly cheesers. Maybe he hasn't. Or more likely just isn't as frustrated by it. Or can out cheese the cheesers. Either way HE loves it so it might be something to look into before you take solely my word on it.</p><p> </p><p> As far as the game modes you mentioned... none of that is here. I enjoyed classic fights too but I get them being missing from the first entry in a "new" franchise. How you leave out tournaments and create-a-card and stuff like that is mind boggling to me as they were features no one complained about and I can't imagine they were a nightmare to program in. The arcade modes are another no-brainer. How do you not put something like that in?</p><p> </p><p> I mean you can still do tournaments on your own with a notebook or a spreadsheet or something so I guess they figured they'd leave it out. Same with with create-an-event. But you just have to go to the menu and select everyone individually... it's just more of a pain in the ass then it needs to be.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

It's all in the EA philosophy: leave stuff out so you can add them in later. They recently announced The Sims 4 will be without toddlers and without swimming pools. Fans took offense. Not that their gameplay will suffer because of it, but when you take things away, that's kinda the natural response. THQ did it too with their WWE SD! franchise.

As for your career remarks: you are absolutely right. If they got career right, I might've bought a console for this game. But I'll wait. Chances are next year has another installment. I'll buy that.

I find Career Mode o.k. It's not bad. It's certainly not great. I will NEVER understand why training mini games are used in the combat sports games between fights. And why they chose this damage system which actually punishes you for wanting to have fun fights is some of the worst decision making in the modern era of sports games. And the fighter video messages are fun for about 30 minutes of your first career and after that you'd do anything to have an option to automatically skip them.

Wait for the next one. I think you're looking at 2016 though at earliest :-(

I'm afraid so. From what I've heard they will alternate between Fight Night and these games. Too bad, really. The game's probably decent and I'd buy it, but I won't buy a console for "average" games, that's for sure.

Let's hope Mayweather retires before next year so they'll skip boxing altogether. :p

And the minigame-based system is a little weird too. But then again, it's not meant as a full-on simulation game.

It's all in the EA philosophy: leave stuff out so you can add them in later. They recently announced The Sims 4 will be without toddlers and without swimming pools. Fans took offense. Not that their gameplay will suffer because of it, but when you take things away, that's kinda the natural response. THQ did it too with their WWE SD! franchise.

As for your career remarks: you are absolutely right. If they got career right, I might've bought a console for this game. But I'll wait. Chances are next year has another installment. I'll buy that.

Sims with no toddlers? They can go screw themselves :)

Honestly though, EA do an absolute terrible job in a lot of their games. They killed my childhood with the release of Sim City 5. A catastrophe considering that the last version was 10 years younger.

As for this game i have heard mixed reviews. They had ages to get this right but ****ed up again it seems. Anyway, EA are mostly hype and that is it. I think you do not give a poop about what they do any more, they are basically the Windows of the gaming industry. They know you will be pretty much forced to buy/play their junk because they barely have competition. Where they do have competition they (Fifa manager anyone?) they usually give up.

EA is all about franchising. And fans are careless enough to buy into that stuff, because it has "real teams". Haven't played FIFA in a while, but PES used to dominate PC footies because players would simply edit the databases. Back when FIFA was real crap, we were playing footies with fantasy players (can't thing of the name they used for their 'Klose').

And they are all about casual gamers. I've (d)evolved more into a casual gamer nowadays that can even appreciate Sims 3, albeit in small doses. I'll probably try Sims 4 someday, probably try EA UFC. But yeah, like many I'm not a fan of their approach. The company won a lot of awards for that as well. :D

Whoa, whoa, whoa. No swimming pools? Is Mass Effect 4 not going to let you talk to your companions?

Archived