C'mon, guys, put us out of our misery here...(Bowl Bound Pro Football)

• 2 weeks later...

<p>It sucks it's taking away from both the developers and the fans perspective, yes...</p><p> </p><p>

But fans/gamers need to realize just HOW MUCH programming actually goes in to this stuff, and if I believe, this isn't everyone's main source of income/job...</p><p> </p><p>

So it's not like it's a team from Bungie with 100+ people designing a game...there's maybe like 1 or 2 of these guys.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm just as excited as anyone to play this game, but there IS other alternatives out there for now to play. FoF is one, and even Bowl Bound for college football is AWESOME.</p><p> </p><p>

Waiting sucks, but I'm sure it will be worth it.</p>

I can see it from both points of view. On one side you have the developer who wants to not put out to much information about a game until its closer to the finished product. Things in the game could change so he might not want to comment on certain aspects of it and then not have them end up in the game.

But then you have the fans perspective. Luckily the fans of GDS seem to be a close knit community so they don't feel the full force of losing fans interest but its a real thing. Fans, in this case gamers, have so many products that come out that they can easily lose interest and forget about a product no matter how good it is if they don't hear about it. This is why you have shows like E3, Toyko Game Show, Comic Con ect. So while I can feel for developers and wanting to keep there secrets close to home in this industry its not realistic not to expect fans to want to get updates on a game while its in developments.

Think about any AAA game. You hear information on a game from its concept to its final form. Sometimes games are announced even before they have names. And you are constantly getting updates. Even games like Madden that come out yearly usually starts showing gameplay of the next game 6 months after and before the release of the next game.

And now indie developers even let gamers play their games while they are still being made. This is a way to make money while they are still making the game and as a way to keep fans interested an involved in the game.

So when a fan shows interest in a game that was said to be in development 5 months ago that is a good thing. Its good that the game was good enough to keep him wanting to go back and that the fan hasn't forgotten about the game. I could see this being a reason why some smaller indie developers have a hard time getting new fans because they don't give enough updates of games that are in progress. The number one question that I generally see in every game developers forum is "whats going on with a/this new game". This is also the question that generally goes unanswered the most or has the least satisfactory answers.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

<p>I took a look at the "new" version of Front Office Football, and I see that it still uses the same teeny tiny font that is so hard for my 59 year old eyes to see. </p><p> </p><p>

I really, really hope Bowl Bound Pro Football is out before I am too far into my 60s...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Antonin" data-cite="Antonin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38210" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I took a look at the "new" version of Front Office Football, and I see that it still uses the same teeny tiny font that is so hard for my 59 year old eyes to see. <p> </p><p> I really, really hope Bowl Bound Pro Football is out before I am too far into my 60s...</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The interface (for the most part) looks essentially unchanged for the new FOF, which is a real shame, as it desperately needs an update or facelift.</p>

<p>It looks the same as it did when the game was called "Front Office Football: The Fourth Edition," which came out in 2002, according to the box.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm not into 3D graphics and all that nonsense, but a clean interface and easily readable text (see: BBCF or FBPB or FBCB or OOTP Baseball) are a big, big, BIG plus for a text-based sports management sim. Don't most people these days have their computers set at higher resolutions than they did 14-15 years ago?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Antonin" data-cite="Antonin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38210" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It looks the same as it did when the game was called "Front Office Football: The Fourth Edition," which came out in 2002, according to the box.<p> </p><p> I'm not into 3D graphics and all that nonsense, but a clean interface and easily readable text (see: BBCF or FBPB or FBCB or OOTP Baseball) are a big, big, BIG plus for a text-based sports management sim. Don't most people these days have their computers set at higher resolutions than they did 14-15 years ago?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> According to Steam's stats, almost 70% of their users have their res'es at 1920x1080 (or higher, 4K in some cases) for their primary system. Which makes their insistence at sticking with 1024x768 rather silly and dated, not to mention inefficient for displaying large amounts of data in a non-tiny way.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Derek DiBenedetto" data-cite="Derek DiBenedetto" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38210" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>According to Steam's stats, almost 70% of their users have their res'es at 1920x1080 (or higher, 4K in some cases) for their primary system. Which makes their insistence at sticking with 1024x768 rather silly and dated, not to mention inefficient for displaying large amounts of data in a non-tiny way.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Isn't that brave words when GDS are releasing 1024x768 games in 2016</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Clarity" data-cite="Clarity" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38210" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Isn't that brave words when GDS are releasing 1024x768 games in 2016</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think it's already been well covered that TEW2016 was the last game at that resolution, and the reasons why.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38210" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think it's already been well covered that TEW2016 was the last game at that resolution, and the reasons why.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Dont get me wrong. That wasn't a dig at TEW but more concern over a GDS developer biting the hand that feeds him by slagging off games like BBCF, and FB(C/P)B when his last game (on here anyway. I'm not counting the other 4 released on Steam in the last 2 years) runs at that exact same resolution</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Clarity" data-cite="Clarity" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38210" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Dont get me wrong. That wasn't a dig at TEW but more concern over a GDS developer biting the hand that feeds him by slagging off games like BBCF, and FB(C/P)B when his last game (on here anyway. I'm not counting the other 4 released on Steam in the last 2 years) runs at that exact same resolution</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I decided on this because of the large amount of people on GDS who still run older laptops who use this resolution, and the sales pool I would lose if I increased it on a game published here. My last 3 works overall have been either 1080p or 1366x768, because I do believe 1024x768 compromises what you can show on screen at once, and interface organization.</p><p> </p><p> The racing game will be at 1366, since it would definitely affect the visual quality and data presentation of the game to drop it to 1024 res.</p><p> </p><p> And no intention to slag anyone off...FOF is still a solid sim. Just that if it were in my hands and made for Steam, it certainly wouldn't still be at 1024x768 resolution.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Antonin" data-cite="Antonin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="38210" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>(FoF) looks the same as it did when the game was called "Front Office Football: The Fourth Edition," which came out in 2002, according to the box...</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Contrast that with what Camo Workshop/Shrapnel Games has done with Steel Panthers, a game originally released in 1995 (!). They continue to add functionality and scenarios.</p><p> </p><p> For what it's worth, I don't have any problems with whatever resolution GDS games happen to be at. The ones I own--BBCF, FBPB3, FBCB and WMMA3--all run fine and do not wreck my eyes. Even the ones like BBCF and the basketball games, which aren't full screen on my computer (my resolution is 1920 x 1080), look fine. The font is not too hard to read and the contrast is just right.</p>

Archived