Making your own G1

I watch a lot of G1 over this summer and last (also Mootinie dynasty) and it got me thinking what would be the prefect G1 climax type tournament for the USA or any country for that matter? Much like the KOTR it helps built the next up and coming star of the company. However you can have it just be about who's the best in your company or that road to redemption story! You can bring people in from different companies or countries. Here are the rules:

There are two blocks. Block A and Block B.

22 or 16 participants with a round-robin rules.

The winner of this G1 style tournament would have the most point and get a title shot or just a trophy if their already world champion.

So who would you choose? It can be today's wrestler's or yesteryear wrestler's or a mix! It can also be a women's tournament as well.

In TCW you can start from The War To Settle The Score in February, where by AI all matches are set to be 1 vs 1, to the March PPV, Just Another Day, if you have two TV shows.

If you stay with only Total Wrestling you can stretch it to April PPV, Where The Angels Fear To Thread.

You still have one month to build your Total Mayhem main event.

If the champion got pinned during the tournament you can have the special World title match at the PPV.

Be aware of matches bombing due the face-heel divide.

Tournament Example

Total Wrestler Tornament

24 participants

Win 3 points, draw 1, loss 0.

1st and 2nd of their block move to semifinals.

Semifinals will open the ppv.

Semifinals losers will fight in the semi main event.

Final will be the main event.

Block A

Tommy Cornell

Joey Minnesota

Scout

John Anderson

Joshua Taylor

Troy Tornado

Eddie Peak

Rocky Golden

American Buffalo

Edd Stone

Benny Benson

Danny Fonzarelli

Block B

Ricky Dale Johnson

Wolf Hawkins

Rick Law

Guide

Brent Hill

Sammy Bach

Bryan Vessey

Koshiro Ino

Joel Bryant

Texas Pete

Freddy Huggins

Aaron Andrews

I've done a G1 style tournament for the past two years of my CGC diary. However, as I do it with a single block of 10 competitors, I'm going to have fun and expand it into a CGC vs NOTBPW affair, with the top 4 from each promotional group going on to a 8-man tournament. Here's the field from the 2014 CGC "Ultimate Showdown Series".

Alex DeColt

Bobby Thomas

Christian Price

Edd Stone

Eddie Chandler

Gargantuan

Ricky DeColt

Samael Bach

Sean Deeley

Stevie Grayson

Let's have a look at who I would have chosen from the NOTBPW side. Obviously they've got bigger roster than CGC, but I'm going to keep a field of just 10. Like the CGC version, the main champion and tag team champions are excluded. While CGC's midcard champion Stevie Grayson was included this year, I won't do the same for NOTBPW Television champ Derek Frost. He doesn't have the popularity to compete. The other thing I notice about their roster is an alarming imbalance between heels and babyfaces. While CGC was overpowered on the heel side (I had literally 10 strong contenders) with NOTBPW the opposite is true. So I'll flip the CGC composition and have 6 babyfaces, 4 heels. Let's see...

Dan Stone Jr - BABYFACE - Recently signed a new contract, allowing him to work more than just PPV's

Duane Stone - HEEL - Apparently he took a turn to the dark side.

Greg Black - BABYFACE - His ex-partner Elmo's in CGC

Joey Poison - BABYFACE - After a magic potion made him CGC's top heel, he jumped ship and got clean.

John Maverick - HEEL

Owen Love - BABYFACE - Still has a Fabulous Heel gimmick, but recently turned.

RK Hayes - HEEL - Can't all be technical wizards. That would be boring.

Sean McFly - BABYFACE

Steve DeColt - BABYFACE

Tim Westybrook - HEEL

As for rules, everyone fought everyone. 2 pts for a win. 3 pts for a submission win. 1 pt for a draw. CGC used 12 minute time limits (60 minute TV problems) but NOTBPW might stretch that out. No managers allowed this year. Everyone fought 9 matches over 11 shows. For CGC, this began at 'Chaos in the Cage' and concluded with 'Ultimate Showdown'. NOTBPW would have probably kicked off a week earlier on 'Grappling Glory' and finished off at 'Mid-Summer Madness'.

Here's how the Top 4 looked when CGC's 'Ultimate Showdown Series' concluded.

16pts - Christian Price

15pts - Ricky DeColt

11pts - Eddie Chandler

10pts - Edd Stone

And how I would have finished NOTBPW's 'Mid-Summer Madness League'.

1st. Dan Stone Jr

2nd. Steve DeColt

3rd. Joey Poison

4th. Duane Stone

I'm cheating slightly because I've picked guys to best match up with their CGC counterpart, in a wacky combined Super Show PPV.

QUARTER FINALS

Match A. CGC's 4th Place vs NOTBPW's 1st Place. Edd Stone vs Dan Stone Jr

Match B. CGC's 3rd Place vs NOTBPW's 2nd Place.Eddie Chandler vs Steve DeColt

Match C. CGC's 2nd Place vs NOTBPW's 3rd Place.Ricky DeColt vs Joey Poison

Match D. CGC's 1st Place vs NOTBPW's 4th Place. Christian Price vs Duane Stone.

Hot damn, those are some quarter finals. Newly babyface Steve DeColt takes on his old nemesis Eddie Chandler. Edd Stone (who really fluked his way into the top 4) against his older brother Dan Jr. Joey Poison comes face to face with his magic potion past, taking on the latest spellbound monster Ricky DeColt. The only match without a story going into it is Christian Price vs Duane Stone, but that's gonna be good. It's make that the opener.

SEMI FINALS

Winner of A vs Winner of C. Dan Stone Jr vs Ricky DeColt

Wiiner of B vs Winner of D. Steve DeColt vs Christian Price

Magic potion aside, the first Semi is a Stone vs DeColt dream match, and the other is a babyface on babyface clash. Steve DeColt against the guy who has kinda replaced him.

FINALS

You know what, I can't decide. As winners of their groups, Dan Stone Jr vs Christian Price was my first idea, but there isn't much story there, beyond being two massively popular babyfaces representing their brand. Ricky DeColt vs Steve DeColt would have a lot of story to it, but besides Steve being NOTBPW, it's rather DeColt heavy. Similarly, Dan vs Steve and Ricky vs Price seem to lean too heavily towards each promotion. I'd probably go with the first option. Dan Stone Jr vs Christian Price.

I was assuming the final tournament would be held in the neutral venue, in front of fans of both promotions, so his babyface turn in NOTBPW would stand. I expect the CGC fans would boo him against Price. Maybe against Chandler too. The NOTBPW fans would likely cheer him, given his recent turn.

Great stuff Kitarzu & Self! I'm always interested in C-Verse made ideas because of what people will do in that universe. Dan Stone Jr would be my pick to win just on talent alone but can't go wrong with Steve DeColt. Also on the TCW side that block A is mostly ego guys Kitarzu. I can see you paying a bonus to Joey Minnesota just to lose one match!

Archived