RIP Dusty Rhodes

Irish Wolf

Man, this is a hard one for me. Ever since his commentary in WCW, I've quit going to "the bathroom." Instead I go to "The facilitations". Where I always make sure to wash "my handses". Very few wrestling personalities ever inspired be to alter my speech pattern and adopt new trademark phrases. But Dusty was so much fun to listen to he managed that. Crazy to think that he's gone. RIP Dweem. If you wee-ill.

This story is not mine it is from a facebook user named Homer Shadowhart but it shows the kind of man Dusty was out of the ring. I'll admit it made me tear up a bit

I'm not a fan of pro wrestling but when my sister Jeannie was in remission from leukemia we went to Las Vegas, she was still bald and very thin and was a huge fan of the WWF. I guess some big event was in Vegas at that time as there were WWF stars all over the place. She and I were eating at a restaurant at a hotel, Jeannie looks over and sees like 8 of these guys sitting there eating. Jeannie said oh my god I would love to go get their autographs, but I just can't do that I look awlful. I grabbed a handful of napkins and walked toward the table where the wrestlers were eating, I know it was rude, but Jeanie was my best friend so, I was going to be rude. As I was walking I ran into Barry Windham, who was also walking toward the table. I said I'm sorry to bother you but my sister over there would love to get your autograph, she just went into remission from leukemia and thinks she looks awlful, Windham them said **** YOU IM EATING GO AWAY. I turned to walk away and when I did I hear a voice say hey man what did you need? I turn around and it was Dusty Rhodes, I walked over and told him what I had ask for. He dug in a duffle bag he had pulled out a wrestilemania shirt and a sharpie. He looked around the table and said, we are all gonna sign this shirt, he looked at Windham who had sat down by now, and said if you have a problem with that I'll hurt you bad, boy. The shirt was signed by all Dusty had as for Jeannie's name when he signed it. I thanked them and apologized for interrupting their meal. As I walked away I could feel someone behind me when I got back to Jeannie, she was crying as I gave her the shirt, then I heard someone say excuse me, it was Dusty Rhodes he leaned down kissed Jeannie's cheek and said you look great hon and you are my hero. That was the highlight of our trip, Jeannie died roughly a year later. I don't know anything about Dusty Rhodes as a wrestler, but I know he was good human being, and I'm always sad when good human beings die. RIP Dusty

Not to derail the topic from its intended purpose but I never got the appeal of Barry Windham. Flair just gushes over him in his first DVD from like 02 talking about how he had everything it took (except giving a damn) to become a huge star.

No doubt he could work and he had a good enough look but the guy was always just kind of a charisma vaccum. He never cut a promo or even did anything as a character to make me care about him even the tiniest bit which seems like a huge part of the whole "future world champion" aspect that Flair was talking about.

Back on topic in many ways I think that the common man vs. the corporate champ gimmick that they did with Flair and Dusty in 85 was incredible. If anything they should have done MORE of it. The end result of that should have been Dusty Rhodes beating the Horsemen and being the champion, the common man champion....if you wiiiiiill. However they did the dusty finish at Starrcade 85 and then that was kind of it for Dusty/Flair. Dusty still feuded with the Horsemen forever but that was it for him and Flair. In many ways that same feud was re done when we did Austin/McMahon/Rock in 99.

I often listen to wrestling podcasts as I play and write up the shows for my Golden Age dynasty. I'm doing so right now, but rather than listening to a new one I haven't heard yet I went back and listened to Dusty on Austin's podcast from sometime in 2013. Near the end, Dusty says this: "Without your past, you don't have a future. So hang on to it because that's all you leave with, is your memories." In that vein, thanks for the memories, Dusty.

He will always be in my heart as the originator of the legendary... but ridiculous bionic elbow. (Russo's words not mine :p) I didn't actually watch his early work, but loved him during the TNA 'Election' Angle against Russo in their early PPV days.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived