Tag Teams as Singles

How separate are your tag and singles divisions? Do you freely mix and match or exclusively use tag guys in tag matches and vice versa?

I tend to go down the exclusive route, but that always ends up with me just neglecting the tag ranks far more than i'd like to. But then if i mix them up, the tag guys always end up just as jobbers - which in a way i guess makes sense, it helps the kayfabe of teamwork and whatnot, but it still feels a bit jarring trying to then push them for tag title contention and the like if their previous appearances were all singles losses.

I tend to keep them as teams. If one team is booked particularly strong but doesn't have anything currently going for them, I may toss them in singles matches one week to put someone else over. If they're in a feud with another team, I might have them square off in singles matches. Other than that they tend to stay as a team.

I rarely have them do singles matches. If I do, it's usually as part of a storyline.

My main reason for not using them in singles competition too much is that I prefer (as far as possible) to keep them at the same level of overness and momentum.

I do sometimes job a tag team - as a team - to a couple of high level singles competitors.

I find that I usually keep them as a team so I am always working towards tag team experience or have the match reap the rewards from high experience. It's a bit gamey I know, but I have just fallen into that habit.

I will occasionally book them in singles matches to further a storyline however. For instance I may have a singles match involving half of two feuding teams (IE: Smash vs. The Warlord and have Ax vs The Barbarian or something to that effect).

I like to keep 1-2 tag teams in the upper midcard, about 4 in the midcard-lower midcard, and about 4 in the opener/enhancement. The upper midcard tag team is usually whichever uppers have good tag chemistry together at the beginning of a game. Later on, teams tend to work into the mid and main event together, which is fine. I don't mind having "Power Destroyer II" as a Main Eventer for 7 years after Power Destroyer I retires or doesn't resign. This gave me a way to use the Tag Titles by making them a prize that stables want. I also use 3-man tag titles as tournament championships which allows the factions to "go to war" and have a prize. Maybe a tournament championship called "One Million Dollars", or a tournament championship called Hall of Fame Induction (which I can then use to make the hall of fame "earned" instead of automatic, and since it is a tournament title, it is only won once and never defended - the next time it is used, there will be a new inductee/millionaire/etc). Sometimes I use "Her Contract" for female managers as a tournament championship of a match where wrestlers feud over a manager/female.

Sometimes, I have my singles stars team up against a tag team and beat them (which helps me keep losses on them so certain ones don't skyrocket too soon or demand higher positions on the roster because of their wins, despite not being otherwise worthy). I also find myself doing a lot of single matches with the "faction leader" or dominant member of a tag team to give successful singles title defenses to singles champions. (The international champion goes over both tag team champions in 1v1's).

I do it old school wwf/e style. Tag Teams as training grounds. Once I feel there over they become single stars. Usually you find your HBK and marty in the group that way. I then keep the hbk as singles. The marty goes into another a team with a newcomer. So marty is not wasted at all.

My tag guys get singles matches, but not as often as tag matches, and usually as part of the On-TV portion of a feud that is going to end in the 'teams finally facing 2-on-2', but also to feed to an upper-card guy on occasion. And if they don't have a manager they accompany each other to the ring as managers.

Archived