CGC - Enough Is Enough...

Eddie Chandler vs. KC Sunshine

Comments: Chandler isn't losing to an opener but might find this harder work than Deeley.

Jacob Jett vs. Brett Fraser

Comments: No brainer.

Ricky DeColt vs. Nate Johnson

Comments: Backing a Ricky win. Johnson is good but up there in terms of age and often in time decline so don't see him getting the win. Could be a slightly tainted win with a small degree of cheating by Ricky.

Jack DeColt vs. Trent Shaffer

Comments: Jack wins by DQ after an Elite attack putting Shaffer on a collision course with DaLay or Chandler.

Ohhhhh yeeeeeeeeeeeah, it's time for this week's CGC recap. DIG IT!

CGC Title Belt Wrestling

Save-On-Foods Memorial Center, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Exterior: http://www.worldcurling.org/_images/article/662-1661_640.jpg

Interior: 4989018969_136ae296a2_b.jpg

Attendance: 6,447

Eddie Chandler def. KC Sunshine

We kick off this week's episode with the unofficial leader of the Elite, Eddie Chandler, taking on everyone's favorite super-worker enhancement talent, KC Sunshine. Sunshine is butter-smooth in the ring, and we've known what Chandler can do for years. You can tell these two are really giving it their all, which is good to see from Chandler, because this could have easily been a match he sleepwalked through. Chandler puts the exclamation point on with an Elitist Plex (

) and another momentum-building victory.

Following the match, as Jett heads backstage, he runs into - quite literally - Dan DaLay. DaLay said he heard Jett talking about taking on Eddie Chandler earlier. DaLay tells the rookie that he's got no right to even say the name Eddie Chandler, or any member of the Elite. DaLay says Jett's not even got enough of a rep to be lacing the boots of the Elite, much less challenging them, and if Jett forgets his place and talks out of turn about the Elite again, DaLay will be happy to personally remind Jett of his place. Jett walks away, seemingly unimpressed.

Good showing here by DaLay as the grizzled old veteran gatekeeper. You get the sense there's maybe some reality subtext here, especially given DaLay's been showing signs of his age recently.(Segment Ratings: Promo 51, Match 56, Post-Match 60)

Ricky DeColt def. Nate Johnson

We get a really surprising and excellent match tonight as Ricky DeColt takes on Nate Johnson. There's really no big story involved in this match, though the announce crew does bring up Johnson's victory in the $25,000 battle royale at WrestleFestival as a way of hyping Johnson up and teasing a possible victory. The match actually lasts through a commercial break, and the time allotted really gives these two time to build up the match slowly. The parade of interesting ways to get people into position for the DeColt 45 (Diamond Dust) continues in this match as we get Johnson going for a double axe handle from the top rope only to get caught with a standing drop kick, knocking Johnson into the corner. Ricky then gets the 1-2-3 and a loud pop from a very impressed crowd.

Ricky and Johnson have outstanding chemistry together. It's a shame that Johnson's relative lack of skill in the more entertainment-oriented aspects of wrestling have prevented him from elevating himself out of the upper midcard. If he could figure it out on the stick, or if he got paired with a sufficiently skilled manager, he might be able to go on a nice run before he hits the twilight of his career. (Segment Rating: 80)

Needling the Champ

We get a promo from Adrian Garcia and Shooter Sean Deeley, saying they waited all week to hear from Alex DeColt about their challenge last week. Quoting Garcia here:

"Last week, Alex, we challenged you to face the single greater pure wrestler not only in this company, but in the world today, Shooter Sean Deeley. We challenged you to put up your title if you want to call yourself the best. What did we hear this week from you? Nothing. No phone calls, no e-mails, no text messages, no voice mails, no smoke signals, messenger pigeons or singing telegrams! Nothing! But we get it. We understand that you don't want to face the Shooter. You don't want the image of you tapping out to Sean Deeley on the front page of every wrestling website from here to Japan! But you can't run forever, Alex. Your time will come. And when it does, you. Will. Tap. Out!

(Segment Rating: 71)

Not Now, Honey

We get Hotstuff Marie and Jack DeColt backstage, getting ready for Jack's main event match against Trent Shaffer. She asks Jack if he's had any thoughts about their conversation last week, on how Marie could be more involved in CGC. Jack says that he's been thinking about it, but that he hasn't come up with anything. He says that, given what the Elite pulled not that long ago, he has some real concerns about Marie, not wanting to put her into harm's way. Marie says she understands his concern, but if Jack wants her with him as they go from arena to arena, she's already put into harm's way every night. Jack looks troubled, and Marie notices, so she tells him that he's got bigger things he needs to think about - particularly, he needs to focus on defeating Trent Shaffer. Jack seems like he's going to argue the point, but then sighs and says that Marie's right. Marie says they'll talk about this further, but for tonight? Go get him, tiger. She kisses him for luck and they head toward the ring.

I have to say, I really liked this segment. Marie's a natural actor and Jack DeColt may be the best of the three DeColts when it comes to talking. The segment moves forward Marie's desire to be more than eye candy, and confirms that last week's segment was the start of something new. I am somewhat impatient to see what that something new is, but at least something is happening. That's huge. (Segment Rating: 85)

Jack DeColt def. Trent Shaffer, by DQ

The next match was great. It's a shame it came after the Ricky/Johnson match, which should be on the next "Best of Title Best Wrestling" release. Still, it's a 20-minute master class in storytelling. Trent Shaffer gets a lot of offense in this one, and the story of the match is based in Shaffer throwing everything he's got at Jack DeColt but none of it able to put DeColt down for the three count. He gets a Heart Burn (

) and it doesn't work. He picks DeColt up again, hits the Heart Burn again, and it still doesn't get the three. Shaffer argues with the ref, which allows Jack to get an inside cradle two-and-a-half. Shaffer looks absolutely livid, and slides out of the ring. He pushes the timekeeper off their chair, grabs it, and brings it into the ring. The ref warns Shaffer, who doesn't even flinch at the warning, instead swinging the chair over DeColt's back. The ref immediately calls for the DQ.

Clearly frustrated by his inability to put Jack away, Shaffer keeps hitting Jack with the chair over and over again. He looks like an absolute madman. Marie's pleas on the outside aren't even heard, and she takes off toward the back while Shaffer continues to savage Jack. Soon, Alex DeColt comes charging out of the back faster than we may have ever seen him run. Shaffer spots him and rolls out of the ring immediately. He holds up the chair, almost like a shield, as he skulks to the back. Alex checks on his brother, who says he's all right. As Marie tends to him, Alex grabs a mic.

"This? This is unacceptable. This is not the way my father wanted this company to be run. This blatant lack of sportsmanship, trying not to simply defeat your opponent but to cripple them? This cannot be allowed to continue. We've had too much of that recently, people around here attacking people from behind, beating on people three-on-one, bullying people and trying to intimidate them without any consequences. This will not stand! You can believe I will be going to the CGC Board of Directors tomorrow morning and I can assure you that things around here are going to change!"

The crowd is all in. The promo is Alex DeColt spitting hot fire, and his anger feels so real, even me, someone who's been watching this stuff for years and tries to be objective about it so I can write a silly column on the internet, totally suspends their disbelief. It felt real, and that's the biggest compliment of all. (Segment Ratings: Match 72, Chair Fury Beatdown 86, Alex Promo 88)

Final Show Rating: 79

CGC Title Belt Wrestling did a 1.36 on Maple Leaf Sports (Canada) and a 0.05 on National Pride TV (US)

Final Thoughts

This was one of the best episodes of Title Belt Wrestling I've seen as an adult. Great in-ring action, especially in the semi-main and main events, plus the promo work - especially in the last half of the show - was top level. My only concern is that we're still over a month away from a PPV, and keeping things pitched at this level may not be sustainable for that long without a blowoff.

Your Predictions

sheepy, you managed to beat a tough field where everyone got at least 3 predictions right last week. Good call on the DQ ending of the Jack DeColt vs. Shaffer match, though Shaffer managed to get the DQ all by himself without the Elite showing up. We'll keep score through the next PPV. The prize will be an increase to the size of your e-peen.

As before, here's the rumored card for next week. Your predictions, please! Also, feel free to talk about where you think the angles should lead, fantasy book, tell me I'm the worst writer on the internet, whatever!

Trent Shaffer vs. Midnight Prowler & KC Sunshine, Handicap Match

Comments:

Eddie Chandler vs. Stevie Greyson (half of the CGC Tag champs)

Comments:

Alex DeColt vs. Ryan Powell, CGC Championship Match

Comments:

Comments: Vampires win

Comments: At least he isn't burying the whole tag team...

Comments: You got no chance...no chance in hell.

Comments: Shaffer isn't losing again but interested to see how Prowler does for you. Not someone I've seen pushed in an SE fed before.

Comments: Only way Stevie wins here is if he's somehow made it onto the NBT list

Comments: Though a Powell title win for all the booking chaos it would cause would be awesome.

Comments: Prowler has potential, but in my experience he's annoying to deal with backstage.

Comments: Chandler is a class above.

Comments: PowWow has no chance here.

• 2 weeks later...

Angelo & Marie Run Down the DeColts

Following the match, Angelo and Hotstuff Marie come out, sarcastically clapping. They demand the production crew cut the music, and then Angelo delivers a blistering promo about how Jack DeColt isn't there, like he's never been there for his wife. It's some harsh stuff, and to be honest, given how Marie's been treated as being an attachment on Jack's arm storyline-wise, it's got just enough truth to it to have impact. Marie, for her part, doesn't say much, but she looks real good, as if she's showing just what Jack's lost. She may be getting older (by pro wrestling standards at least), but for my money, she still surpasses both Faith and Jenny Playmate in terms of the women of CGC. COME AT ME BROS. (Segment Rating: 84)

Well then...maybe Marie was in the right?

Archived