Should a small time writer try Patreon?

LordJaguar

So, I humbly ask anyone who has read any of my work, could I use Patreon to fund my work? Now, I know I "could" do whatever I like, but what I really am asking is do you think I would actually be able to fund my writing dream on Patreon. Now, I don't expect to make millions or even thousands of dollars, but really would just like to cover my basic expenses allowing me to write more often and in greater detail. So, does anyone think people would donate/pay to hear my opinions on things as well as my crazy theories and wild ideas about comics, video games, movies, and TV?

I think it could work. However, I would suggest finding an audience before doing so. Most preferably on YouTube seeing as it is one of (if not) the biggest platforms on the internet, I think once you get around 500-1,000 subscribers; then maybe you can start to invest on a Patreon.

But remember, Patreon is a risky venture; and it calls for you keep the promises you make for the rewards you make. So be very careful over what your planning to promise.

I don't know much about Patreon as a platform, but asking people to pay for your work would presuppose you having an established fanbase and a very distinct style. Lots of people broadcast themselves for free. Why would someone pay to hear you out? If you are an unknown, people won't just jump on your idea, even though your writeups might be brilliant. I'd take a small hit in quality if the upside is that I don't have to pay anything. The free broadcasters might not be as talented as others, but after doing it for years, they eventually become competent at what they do. Always think about what you would offer that makes you stand out, something very difficult in writing.

Patreon seems to be great if you have big numbers. If you don't? I don't know. But judging by my friends on a small time podcast who tried it much for the same reasons as you -not to make a career of it but just to cover expenses- saw very little return. But the way they saw it even a dollar gained through it is one more dollar than they would have had otherwise.

I'd say if you're considering it, write more and do it. Get really great at your craft. Do it because you love it. And if you work hard and get yourself out there I can definitely see your goals being accomplished through something like Patreon.

BTW youtube channels aren't exactly moneymakers. For every huge vlogger that makes a ton of money there's a million behind him or her, each with tons of videos with tens of views embarrassing the crap out of themselves and leaving bad videos up for future bosses to google. You gotta do something like that because you want to do it and love it, not to make money. Any kind of artistic pursuit should be done with passion first. You can always sell out later :)

Archived