Epitomise a match aim

<p>Kobashi/Misawa has to be the epitome of an Epic match. They're almost mythic in their statue in the wrestling. They're the only matches I would classify as actual masterpieces.</p><p> </p><p>

The rest I have no idea about. Okada/Shibata and Okada/</p><p>

Omega feel like spectacles but I'm not super confident about that.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Once in a lifetime seems weird. Almost every match I've seen marketed like that has been bad. I can't think of a good first time Legend Vs Legend match other than Sakuraba/Suzuki. But that only worked because it was a shoot-style match.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BigINMoldova" data-cite="BigINMoldova" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Kobashi/Misawa has to be the epitome of an Epic match. They're almost mythic in their statue in the wrestling. They're the only matches I would classify as actual masterpieces.<p> </p><p> The rest I have no idea about. Okada/Shibata and Okada/</p><p> Omega feel like spectacles but I'm not super confident about that.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Once in a lifetime seems weird. Almost every match I've seen marketed like that has been bad. I can't think of a good first time Legend Vs Legend match other than Sakuraba/Suzuki. But that only worked because it was a shoot-style match.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think the longer Omega/Okada matches would be Epic if it relies heavily on in-ring performance and psychology.</p>

<p>Storytelling: Aleister Black vs. Velveteen Dream from a Takeover a few months back.</p><p> </p><p>

The story was the contrast between the experienced, taciturn striker Black and the young, flamboyant entertainer Dream, and whether the rookie could hang with the veteran. The build emphasised the differences between the two, but the match showed that both have a great will to win, both play mind games with their opponents, and both can take a lot of punishment and keep on ticking.</p><p> </p><p>

Broadly, it should be used when the match isn't the story in itself - there's an additional factor that has to be considered alongside it that will add to (or detract from) the way the match plays out.</p><p> </p><p>

Other possible examples:</p><p> </p><p>

Warrior/Savage retirement match at WM7 - Savage's desperation to topple Warrior/Warrior's resilience</p><p> </p><p>

Dudleys/E&C at the 2001 Royal Rumble - The Dudleys were injured by E&C going into the match, and E&C's efforts to exploit this were a key part of how the match played</p><p> </p><p>

Bate/Dunne, UK title tournament final - Dunne's limblocks vs. Bate's strength and striking, and whether Dunne could wear Bate down enough to beat him</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ZMAN" data-cite="ZMAN" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> And I think that these are the secondary skills that come into play:<p> </p><p> Car Crash - Psychology, Hardcore</p><p> </p><p> Wild Brawl - None; all stamina. Less risk so less bonuses</p><p> </p><p> <strong>High Spots - Aerial/Flashiness </strong></p><p> </p><p> Steal the show - Psychology, Consistency</p><p> </p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> For High Spots, Flashiness is definitely a big part of it. In OLLIE, I get the note telling you that the worker is suited for the style of match for workers like Silver Tiger and Extraordinario Jr. (and one other... La Sombra maybe?). Workers who do not have a high Flashiness almost never generate that note.</p>

Archived