Epitomise a match aim

I am liking the new 'match aims' booking note, but it did get me thinking...which wrestlers (both in the real world and in the CVerse) are the epitome of each match aim.

eg. Which two workers would be best suited to 'steal the show', 'Once in a lifetime' etc?

On the flipside, which wrestlers would you have in 'car crash' and 'mayhem'?

Once in a lifetime

hulk hogan v Andre the giant springs to mind

Followed by

Hogan v rock

I know there was a plan for flair v hogan?

Maybe warrior v hogan too? I think this used to happen more often in territory days where people wouldn't lose in there area,

Epic

Something like one of hbk v bret hart matches like the last man standing. Etc

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Remianen" data-cite="Remianen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Flair-Hogan happened a few dozen times. WWF tested the match on live events for months before scrapping it because the reactions they got were crap.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, that's one of the biggest mysteries of professional wrestling. In TEW terms, they clearly had bad chemistry. But on paper, that would have been the match of the millennium.</p>

<p>Eh when you think about it in hindsight it's not that hard to see why they went wrong.</p><p> </p><p>

Hogan was largely used to getting beaten down for 95% of the match, doing his hulk up, and coming through with the victory in the end. Flair on the other hand was known for getting beat down for 95% of the match and either surviving just long enough to a time limit, or getting a dusty finish. Their specialized matches are nearly identical and would force one (or both) guys to be in a position that's rare for them. They eventually figured it out in WCW for whatever reason</p><p> </p><p>

Hogan/Andre definitely wasn't once in a lifetime- they feuded in WWF even, in the early 80s (complete with the bodyslam spot).</p><p> </p><p>

Steal the show would be the early TLC matches that were crazy on spots but also had story elements as well. On the other hand No Mercy 99 would definitely be a "High Spots" match as it was four young guys without really established characters by that point.</p>

<p>I'm having trouble visualizing how the wrestlers would act different in an Epic match aim vs a Spectacle vs Storytelling and why there would even be different match aims between these three.</p><p> </p><p>

Can anybody knowledgable answer this?</p><p> </p><p>

Like just because a match has been billed as "once in a lifetime" how would they really be wrestling any different then if it were a spectacle?</p>

<p>From reading their in-game descriptions, I would argue that the difference between "Spectacle" and "Epic" is physical ability. Both put an emphasis on storytelling and psychology, but it seems like Epic also includes the physical side.</p><p> </p><p>

I would put in terms of Undertaker Mania matches. His two matches against HBK were EPIC matches. Great storytelling, emotion, skill, the full package. Taker's match against Shane McMahon was more of a Spectacle. It was about the story and that Shane leap from the Cell, not the in ring action.</p>

For me when I think spectacle I think of something like Lesnar vs. Cena at Extreme Rules '12 simply because of what the word conjures up. It wasn't the best worked match in the world, that is not to say it was a bad match, but it was something different and fresh and well a spectacle you kinda just had to watch. Not sure if that actually fits in with the games descriptions however.

<p>I'd be careful with the real world comparisons because ultimately it comes down to in-game stats. </p><p> </p><p>

I could be wrong, but I try to look at everything as categories that grant you bonuses if you nail all the check boxes. </p><p> </p><p>

Wild Brawl, Steal The Show, Car Crash, High Spots are all <strong>stamina</strong> based. Don't put anyone in with less than C stamina. And I think that these are the secondary skills that come into play:</p><p> </p><p>

Car Crash - Psychology, Hardcore</p><p> </p><p>

Wild Brawl - None; all stamina. Less risk so less bonuses</p><p> </p><p>

High Spots - Aerial/Flashiness</p><p> </p><p>

Steal the show - Psychology, Consistency</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Spectacle and Epic are <strong>psychology</strong> focused. The secondary skills needed to make it good: </p><p> </p><p>

Spectacle - Relies more on entertainment skills. (B- or higher I'd say)</p><p> </p><p>

Epic - Relies more on in-ring skills.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

I think that Comedy/Lift/Calm the crowd are more suited for PPVs or events that have a 90% match ratio since you can't use as many angles as cool down segments:</p><p> </p><p>

Lift the crowd - Stick this after a match or angle that you anticipate will bomb or be lower than your target show rating.</p><p> </p><p>

Calm the crowd - Use it if you've stuck an all-out/stamina based match in the middle of your show otherwise you'll get a penalty</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Warm up matches are Comedy and Work the crowd - I can't figure these two out. Maybe comedy requires higher entertainment stats than work the crowd?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Storytelling - Offset certain penalties, maybe? Like say you want to have a 5 minute main event that ends in your top guy getting taken out by interference. Having this note in place will grant you a bonus to balance out the penalties. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Once in a lifetime - Basically you just need to pay attention to what the requirements are. Do the guys in your match meet them? Then you get a free bonus to your match. I imagine this was added so that big matches that normally only got an A would get the A*. It's a free A* match basically, as long as you meet the requirements. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

It's hard to tell since the descriptions are kind of vague or similar to one another. I imagine that the dirt sheet will reveal their uses.</p>

I use work the crowd as an opening match if I use guys that aren't in the upper midcard+ or their in ring skills are blah. I usually open with my tag match but on the occasion I have a weak card I like to put a cool down type match as the opener with that note.

<p>Epic would be Bret Hart Owen Hart Steel Cage match for the WWF title.</p><p> </p><p>

Spectacle would be Undertaker vs Bray Wyatt</p><p> </p><p>

Once in a lifetime would be Undertaker vs Sting</p><p> </p><p>

Technical masterclass would be Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage for the IC title at WM</p><p> </p><p>

Storytelling would be Kevin Owens Vs Sami Zayn I</p><p> </p><p>

Steal the Show would be Shawn Michaels Razor Ramon Ladder match for IC title at WM</p><p> </p><p>

Car crash would be Brock Lesnar Dean Ambrose WM</p><p> </p><p>

High Spot would be nearly any match in LU</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Sigilistic" data-cite="Sigilistic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, that's one of the biggest mysteries of professional wrestling. In TEW terms, they clearly had bad chemistry. But on paper, that would have been the match of the millennium.</div></blockquote><p> Hogan and Flair delivered in WCW. Hell, in February 1999 Hogan and Flair outdrew McMahon and Austin on PPV, if I remember correctly.</p><p> </p><p> It was in the WWF that it didn't work for whatever reason.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Remianen" data-cite="Remianen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Flair-Hogan happened a few dozen times. WWF tested the match on live events for months before scrapping it because the reactions they got were crap.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes. But they had never fought each other in terms of tv terms etc so it would have classed as once in a lifetime.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ZMAN" data-cite="ZMAN" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'd be careful with the real world comparisons because ultimately it comes down to in-game stats. <p> </p><p> I could be wrong, but I try to look at everything as categories that grant you bonuses if you nail all the check boxes. </p><p> </p><p> Wild Brawl, Steal The Show, Car Crash, High Spots are all <strong>stamina</strong> based. Don't put anyone in with less than C stamina. And I think that these are the secondary skills that come into play:</p><p> </p><p> Car Crash - Psychology, Hardcore</p><p> </p><p> Wild Brawl - None; all stamina. Less risk so less bonuses</p><p> </p><p> High Spots - Aerial/Flashiness</p><p> </p><p> Steal the show - Psychology, Consistency</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Spectacle and Epic are <strong>psychology</strong> focused. The secondary skills needed to make it good: </p><p> </p><p> Spectacle - Relies more on entertainment skills. (B- or higher I'd say)</p><p> </p><p> Epic - Relies more on in-ring skills.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I think that Comedy/Lift/Calm the crowd are more suited for PPVs or events that have a 90% match ratio since you can't use as many angles as cool down segments:</p><p> </p><p> Lift the crowd - Stick this after a match or angle that you anticipate will bomb or be lower than your target show rating.</p><p> </p><p> Calm the crowd - Use it if you've stuck an all-out/stamina based match in the middle of your show otherwise you'll get a penalty</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Warm up matches are Comedy and Work the crowd - I can't figure these two out. Maybe comedy requires higher entertainment stats than work the crowd?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Storytelling - Offset certain penalties, maybe? Like say you want to have a 5 minute main event that ends in your top guy getting taken out by interference. Having this note in place will grant you a bonus to balance out the penalties. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Once in a lifetime - Basically you just need to pay attention to what the requirements are. Do the guys in your match meet them? Then you get a free bonus to your match. I imagine this was added so that big matches that normally only got an A would get the A*. It's a free A* match basically, as long as you meet the requirements. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> It's hard to tell since the descriptions are kind of vague or similar to one another. I imagine that the dirt sheet will reveal their uses.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Excellent stuff ZMAN.</p>

• 2 years later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Sigilistic" data-cite="Sigilistic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41256" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, that's one of the biggest mysteries of professional wrestling. In TEW terms, they clearly had bad chemistry. But on paper, that would have been the match of the millennium.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> But in WCW their matches were solid - so it wasn't a Chemistry issue.</p>

Archived