Getting back into TEW, looking for advice

Greetings, all. I'm just now getting back into TEW for the first time since TEW2004 (life kept getting in the way), and oh my how things have changed! So professional and refined, I love it!

That said, can anyone give me some pointers about getting into the default "CornellVerse"? In the old days I always just played real wrestlers, so how would one best make this transition?

Good job to Mr. Ryland for a magnificent product!

<p>My advice would be to look at the promotions/rosters and think about what style of booking and what type of company you want to play. Being able to approach booking from a point that makes sense to you is important IMO as otherwise it's a little hard to connect to all these random characters at first.</p><p> </p><p>

For me what got me into the Cornellverse was playing as WEXXV because I prefer small rosters and I am familiar with Japanese deathmatch style wrestling and liked the way the company used stables as a clear way of creating a divide in the roster so I could just feud the Gaijin stable with the Japanese guys most of the time.</p>

Well I like most types of wrestling, with 80s being my favorite (I had the great fortune to see both Starrcade 83 and Wrestlemania 1 in person and I've loved wrestling ever since). I'm probably least familiar with European wrestling, though I don't know a ton of Japanese either.

Hm is there a good "newbie" company to play where I could learn the ropes without getting overwhelmed that's not European or Japanese? Maybe one with characters I might be able to remember more easily? I'm trying out USPW right now, but am having a tad of trouble so far.

And I thought it was like riding a bike! Heh!

USPW is probably the most 80s style promotion in the game.

Another option might be to start your own company just to get the hang of it. That way you get to choose who you have on your roster so just pick those characters who look more memorable to you and see if you can get into it that way.

Otherwise, I am sure some real world mods will be on the way.

Play RAW. It's Sports Entertainment similar to late 90s WWF, the best company in Australia so you don't have to worry about your top talent being pinched, has its own weekly TV show and the roster is small enough that it doesn't get overwhelming.

Just build your shows around Swoop McCarthy and you'll do just fine.

If you're just getting back into it, or just starting out, I'd recommend not going for a big company. With a big company you don't usually have to worry about money, but there is usually a significant amount of talent you need to manage.

For an 80's style I would suggest NYCW or CGC.

NYCW is a small company (well on their way to regional) who value ring work over popularity. You can still get away with some angles, however. They are also part of the COTT alliance giving you access to a pretty wide range of talent without the long term commitment of actually contracting them full-time. Comes with the added bonus of being able to play with the new alliance titles.

CGC in Canada is bigger sitting at Cult. They've got a 2 hour TV show, and access to PPV. They've got a significant amount of money in the bank. Their product skews popularity over performance, so you'd be looking at needing to book more angles. The roster is pretty depleted from previous versions, so you only really need to focus on your top guys early on, while pushing a handful of younger guys. Being a cult company with a good amount of money means CGC has some pretty good buying power and can offer written contracts. Be sure to lock Ricky down to one ASAP! Personally I also signed Gargantuan, Ian Identity, Drake Young, Donte Dunn, and Christian Price to written deals (Ian and Drake came up as NBT's for me and had excellent tag chemistry). Otherwise no one else really needs them, unless it is someone you are hellbent on never losing.

Archived