Any tips on increasing match ratings (mid-game, could use editor if needed)?

I am struggling a bit, as I think my match ratings are too low. How could I go about improving them? Are there specific road agent notes I can use? Tips on adjusting my product? Just adjusting the wrestler's stats even further? Here's some info on what I have now:

Playing as NJPW, real world w/Fleisch's data July 2017

Product stats:

Intensity 80% / Danger 40%

Traditional: Heavy

Mainstream: Very Low

Comedy: Very Low

Modern: Medium

Realism: Key Feature

Hyper Realism: Very Low

Lucha Libre: Very Low

Pure: Low

Daredevil: Low

Cult, Risque, Hardcore: None

Crowd management is off (as I think this only applies to WWE style events, in Japan the matches tend to get better and better as the card goes on, and a big PPV card will have 3 to 4 straight all out matches to close out), so I am wondering if this could have something to do with it. 50% of my matches are given a B. Of the 4 events I did so far, here are my ratings:

2 B+'s

15 B's

5 B-'s

6 C+'s

2 E-'s

Any tips on how to boost match ratings would be helpful.

<p>Crowd management being off could be the problem. Pretty sure the positives of a high crowd has a significant effect on the match rating. </p><p> </p><p>

I've seen only a handful of New Japan shows, and they absolutely control the crowd. You might want to try having it on and learn how to make the game work for you rather than just turning it off, because I'm sure it's possible to make it work.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BrokenCycle" data-cite="BrokenCycle" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44155" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Crowd management being off could be the problem. Pretty sure the positives of a high crowd has a significant effect on the match rating. <p> </p><p> I've seen only a handful of New Japan shows, and they absolutely control the crowd. You might want to try having it on and learn how to make the game work for you rather than just turning it off, because I'm sure it's possible to make it work.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Now that I think about it you are probably right. I just need to figure out how to effectively use match aims. I know there are tons of threads about it on here so I will start digging. Tonight I'll run a few test shows to see how they work out.</p>

My first thought was Match Aims is your answer (which really works best when paired with crowd management). Without knowing more about which Aims you are using, it would be hard to speculate, but my guess is Technical Masterclass, Epic and Spectacle would all help you when used correctly. Be sure to calm and warm the crowd appropriately.

<p>Using Spectacle and Epic is a very bad idea. His question was that he wanted to replicate New Japan's style of having a string of balls to the wall matches to close the show. The crowd needs to be cooled off for Spectacle and Epic matches. </p><p> </p><p>

I think you're able to run two really good Slow Build matches together. If you really want, say, the last three matches to really shine I think your best bet is to use Storytelling matches a lot. Storytelling matches are kinda poorly labelled. Basically you're telling the workers "Try hard, but not too hard" and they're very effective.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="RingRider" data-cite="RingRider" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44155" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>My first thought was Match Aims is your answer (which really works best when paired with crowd management). Without knowing more about which Aims you are using, it would be hard to speculate, but my guess is Technical Masterclass, Epic and Spectacle would all help you when used correctly. Be sure to calm and warm the crowd appropriately.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm using Regular for every match as I have crowd management off because I really struggled with my main events actually suffering penalties for me using Epic/Spectacle/Steal the Show instead of just the Regular aim. I might do a ton of experiments tonight so I can do that and post the results later.</p>

<p>Don't forget to use angles between your big matches if you're backloading your card</p><p> </p><p>

If you have Tanahashi and Naito in the semi main and they have a great match, putting Okada/Omega on immediately with no buffer will no doubt hurt the match/crowd rating both in and out of the game. Don't overlook the use of 2-3 minute hype videos to precede matches and give the crowd some time to collect themselves.</p>

<p>I personally don't run Crowd Management too often but it definitely helps with your match ratings. </p><p> </p><p>

It has become a lot easier to use compared to its predecessor (PST) and can help you improve your gameplay. The wording on some of the match aims can be pretty vague so looking around on the forums for much clearer meanings help.</p><p> </p><p>

And just piggybacking on some of the advice here, properly cooling down the crowd and such will see improvements in match quality.</p>

So I ran a few tests and I think turning on crowd management will help. I ended up getting an A out of a 10 man tag that would normally be a B, but I am struggling to get my main event any higher than a B, mostly due to one guy dragging the match down as he is getting a D- in-ring performance.

Overall I think this will help in the long run but still need to look at some guides and also try to figure out why guys like Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr. are getting C- in ring grades when Tanahashi is getting A*, even when Suzuki's stats are seemingly comparable. See the images below. I'm not sure why Suzuki's performances are consistently worse. Is it just flashiness?

http://i.imgur.com/qsgFWCL.png

and then Suzuki

http://i.imgur.com/KyAy0zb.png

any insight?

So I ran a few tests and I think turning on crowd management will help. I ended up getting an A out of a 10 man tag that would normally be a B, but I am struggling to get my main event any higher than a B, mostly due to one guy dragging the match down as he is getting a D- in-ring performance.

Overall I think this will help in the long run but still need to look at some guides and also try to figure out why guys like Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr. are getting C- in ring grades when Tanahashi is getting A*, even when Suzuki's stats are seemingly comparable. See the images below. I'm not sure why Suzuki's performances are consistently worse. Is it just flashiness?

http://i.imgur.com/qsgFWCL.png

and then Suzuki

http://i.imgur.com/KyAy0zb.png

any insight?

It is not just their stats that factor in the match rating. They also have to be popular as well. It sounds like you are pushing midcarders and expecting instant main event results. I don't know too much about New Japan but I'm pretty sure that Zach Sabre Jr. is not highly over in Japan.

Of course when you do get them over you should be seeing higher grades from them.

Suzuki is the 5th most over guy in my company. I edited Sabre's popularity to boost him to Upper Mid as that is where he currently is in NJPW. So I'm not sure it's popularity since plenty of my midcard guys put on great performances. Also, my company's product is performance > popularity.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dean" data-cite="dean" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44155" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Suzuki is the 5th most over guy in my company. I edited Sabre's popularity to boost him to Upper Mid as that is where he currently is in NJPW. So I'm not sure it's popularity since plenty of my midcard guys put on great performances. Also, my company's product is performance > popularity.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Try running a slow build 20 minute plus match with Tanahashi vs. Suzuki and see what you get out of them. It could be that Suzuki was having an off night because if he is as popular that you say he is and having those stats flashiness alone is not enough to tank his match rating.</p><p> </p><p> If both guys have B popularity you should be getting A matches with a slow build 20 plus minute match if they have those stats.</p>

<p>I'm not thinking your match grades are all THAT low. B and B+ matches should be pretty easy and common with the company and workers. But constant A grades is a bit much. Realistically, an A match is a Match of the Year contender and an A* match is legitimately a Match of the Year. Yes, New Japan produces great quality matches but not every show has that level of match. </p><p> </p><p>

I use Match Aims fairly rarely. I will typically use Open Match, Slow Build (if its 20 minutes plus) and Call in Ring (if they both have B or better Psychology). And make sure to use the Dirt Sheet to see what negatives are impacting the matches.</p>

<p>First off, I agree that a B+ main-event should be 'average', for where NJPW is in the game.</p><p>

As far as guys like ZSJ and Minoru Suzuki getting low grades, all I can think of is to check your product definition to make sure that performance is much more important than popularity(I think Traditional leans Pop over Performance) and check the "Dirt Sheet" on their matches. Things like morale and inconsistency(and things that I don't know what they mean like "chemistry" and "motivation) could be bringing them down. Also, having a poor gimmick rating can drag their performance down more than you'd think. Also, in the case of Suzuki, time decline could be a factor. Even if he still has good stats, if he's far enough in time decline, it will still take a big piece out of his performance grade.</p><p> </p><p>

Match performance ratings are capped at different levels for different time limits. Matches less than 10 minutes are capped at B-, matches less than 15 minutes are capped at B, and matches under 21 minutes are capped at B+. I might be wrong about the specifics, but if you want the maximum out of a matches in-ring side, it has to be over 21 minutes.</p><p> </p><p>

Also, any match over 15 minutes should have the 'slow build' note, and if both competitors have B or better psychology, call in ring.</p><p> </p><p>

Storyline heat, may or may not be a factor, depending on your product. Even if you don't technically need storylines, having matches be a part of a storyline can boost the rating.</p><p> </p><p>

The best thing I can think of after typing all this is to look at the "Dirt Sheet" for these matches, good and below expectation, and see what kind of +'s and -'s there are.</p>

I'm pretty sure it's Time Decline. Not only does Time Decline bring your skills down, but there is a penalty for being in Decline too. The further into it you are, the bigger it is REGARDLESS of your actual skills. For the first few years it's pretty small, but Suzuki is pretty old for an active wrestler and judging by what I'm seeing, it looks like he is more than 10 years into decline. He still has plenty of skills he can teach to other people, but his time as a credible main event level guy is over.

<p>Thanks guys that is extremely useful info. I think I might have the bar set a bit too high. As Bigpap42 said, expecting all A's is unrealistic. I'm hoping to end up with 15-25 A and A* matches over the course of the whole year, which seems doable in my game so far and sounds about right for NJPW right now.</p><p> </p><p>

FankuKaibutsu, those are some very helpful points. I did not know there was a cap on rating from match length! So a match has to be at least 16 minutes to get a B+? No wonder why my main event was not drawing that, I had it at 14 or 15 every time. I don't use slow build nearly enough, and as for call in the ring vs. script, I read on here that if you don't pick either, the AI determines the best option and assigns it.</p><p> </p><p>

As for Suzuki, the time decline must be the factor here. I am going to take a look at some of ZSJ's stats, but I guess I shouldn't be upset if a match with time decline Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka involved nets me a B or B+. Thanks again for all of the advice this is very useful.</p>

<p>Good call, Derek. Time Decline would definitely be an issue by Suzuki. And its impact is bigger in a performance based company. That's a downside of a puro style company in TEW - its physically wearing on the workers. Meaning they are more likely to be into Time Decline earlier. In a performance based company, someone well into Time Decline becomes much less useful as a singles wrestler and will eventually be most useful as a tag guy, which is fairly realistic. </p><p> </p><p>

Any company can eventually get to a point where A matches are fairly constant and easy. When you have a very talented roster and reach a point where everyone is very over, its a sweet spot for easy match grades. Getting everyone over to that point (where someone with C+ or B- popularity is still just an upper mid guy) takes awhile, and its easier in Sports Entertainment, I find. And it also comes with some serious problems - those workers are costly, ask for raises, and get difficult to resign.</p>

Not sure about match ratings being capped like that, as I've had plenty of A* matches that ran for 17 or 18 minutes in my NJPW save- but I do often include the note "steal the show" for matches under 20 minutes, so that might be doing it. It's trial and error really, and you'll find what works for you to get higher match ratings.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dean" data-cite="dean" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44155" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So I ran a few tests and I think turning on crowd management will help. I ended up getting an A out of a 10 man tag that would normally be a B, but I am struggling to get my main event any higher than a B, mostly due to one guy dragging the match down as he is getting a D- in-ring performance. <p> </p><p> Overall I think this will help in the long run but still need to look at some guides and also try to figure out why guys like Minoru Suzuki and Zack Sabre Jr. are getting C- in ring grades when Tanahashi is getting A*, even when Suzuki's stats are seemingly comparable. See the images below. I'm not sure why Suzuki's performances are consistently worse. Is it just flashiness?</p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i.imgur.com/qsgFWCL.png</span></p><p> </p><p> and then Suzuki</p><p> </p><p> <span>http://i.imgur.com/KyAy0zb.png</span></p><p> </p><p> any insight?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Wow these stats are so unrealistic</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="sabataged" data-cite="sabataged" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44155" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Wow these stats are so unrealistic</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Really? It's all subjective but I only boosted a few from Fleisch's data. What ones look off? Tanahashi is arguably the greatest pro-wrestler of all time, while Suzuki is a living legend.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dean" data-cite="dean" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44155" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Really? It's all subjective but I only boosted a few from Fleisch's data. What ones look off? Tanahashi is arguably the greatest pro-wrestler of all time, while Suzuki is a living legend.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Suzuki's toughness is too low.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dr_Avalanche" data-cite="Dr_Avalanche" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44155" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Suzuki's toughness is too low.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> lol yea I should boost that to 100</p><p> </p><p> Seriously tho, I think they both might have their Athleticism 5 points too high. Tanahashi's Safety and Consistency are actually 5 points too low when I look at it. Suzuki's Safety is 10 points too low (I don't know of anyone that got hurt wrestling him). Tana's Flashiness might be 5 too high. I don't see this as being unrealistic really</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dean" data-cite="dean" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="44155" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Really? It's all subjective but I only boosted a few from Fleisch's data. What ones look off? Tanahashi is arguably the greatest pro-wrestler of all time, while Suzuki is a living legend.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Puro ratings are way too high in my opinion. I'm pretty sure that Puro means Strong Style type fighting. Adam will probably rename it in the next game to that. New Japan talks and talks about how they are strong style, but they aren't. I mean they are to a degree, and they are definitely closer to strong style than a company like WWE for example, but they aren't anywhere close to the strong style wrestling from All Japan during the 90s and earlier. The puro ratings are way too high in my opinion. Those ratings should be saved for a company like All Japan in the 90s. The only 2 that should get that rating should be Ishii and Shibata in my opinion. Maybe Makabe. Maybe. </p><p> </p><p> Also, my gut tells me that a high rating in puro, hardcore, or brawling means more than a high rating in other areas. If you look at the default cornellverse look at how few elite guys there are in hardcore, brawling, and to some degree puro compared to the other ratings. Also, guys with bios that talk about them being amazing brawlers or especially amazing hardcore wrestlers don't have those ratings super high most of the time.</p>

Archived