Just noticing

I have been playing since it came out, after work and all. I just noticed that, on the whole, this game is rather dull. No offense, there just isn't a lot of substance to it. Not a lot of strategy, since everything runs on a percent chance. The majority is just a lot of clicking and hoping, "Maybe, I can hit this finisher. Maybe he won't block/avoid/break it for the 12th time. Maybe he won't pin me off of an elbow drop. Maybe, just maybe, I can hit enough super moves to actually get a B+ match before the opponent pins me easily." There just doesn't seem to be a lot there. Now, just so you don't think the only thing I am doing is whining, I actually have some suggestions, of sorts. In the match, which is the main chunk of the wrestling genre, why not have a psycology thing going on. For instance, let the game be more....whole. If you are facing someone, let there be an option of viewing them, so you know how to work their style. Generic American Middleweight #3 isn't really a lot of knowledge about your opponent. Don't get me wrong, this is a great game, for what it is. I guess what I am saying, is there isn't all that much to challenge the imagination, just a challenge to the click-finger. The only real thought I have found so far, is "Do I choose WLW or DaVE on Thursday nights?" Adam, you know I love ya, (in that manly, hetero-as-hell kind of way :D but, I think this game isn't as mentally challenging as TEW, and, after playing for a while, I think I may just click TEW as opposed to WreSpi. LMAO! Not like you care, you get paid either way! j/k

well i deff i agree with your last comments about in the long run you will be going back to tew... once the rookie mode is completed i cant see this game having a long lasting intrest... perhaps with one or two additions the lastability could be imptoved. not complainin too much tho adam, do enjoy the game alot at the moment... just thinking a few weeks ahead

Well. I see the same thing, but in other point of view. I´ve a few free time all the days. And WreSpi is a very enjoyable game. Is less depth than TEW, but at least for me more entertaining. TEW is a simulation a great one, a deep one. One I haven´t played more than 3 months-of-game without changing the company. WreSpi is more on the line of game like Sid Meier´s Pirates or Half-Life2. Easy fun games that kill your free time. Things to improve? A lot of course. I continue lobbying for a like "EU2 events" game (that some things pass aleatory- new companies. Close of old ones- And more interaction (the way FM is heading). But I love this game. Adam for TEW2005 you have to think what direction do you want. A complex simulation or a less complex more entertaining game

WreSpi to me is definitely a shorter-term game than TEW. I love TEW to death but it takes me an hour or so to plan some of my nights. I've only been through about 5 months of time there; signing guys to 4-year contracts is nuts because I'll never that far in the game. On the flip side, I'm entering my third year of WreSpi and still going strong. But as spmkillie said, once you retire from Rookie to Legend, I'm not sure there's much more to do. But the ride is fun, and there are certainly far worse things I could be doing to kill my free time. And hey, $25 is more than worth it to me... I kinda feel shallow using the price as a factor of how good a game is, but hey, for a budget title, WreSpi kicks all kinds of ass.

Just to make the distinction clear once again, WreSpi is a [U]game[/U], TEW is a [U]simulation[/U]. I'd also disagree with you that there isn't a lot of strategy involved. Yes everything involved percentages (so does quite a large proportion of TEW, and every other sim game made), but when to go for certain moves, when to go for what counters, when to press your advantage, that's all strategy. From your previous posts Payne, you seem to be getting beaten a lot \ frustrated by the amount of moves you're taking - perhaps not using the strategic elements of the game is the reason you're not enjoying it as much as you could?

[QUOTE=Payne]I have been playing since it came out, after work and all. I just noticed that, on the whole, this game is rather dull. No offense, there just isn't a lot of substance to it. Not a lot of strategy, since everything runs on a percent chance. The majority is just a lot of clicking and hoping, "Maybe, I can hit this finisher. Maybe he won't block/avoid/break it for the 12th time. Maybe he won't pin me off of an elbow drop. Maybe, just maybe, I can hit enough super moves to actually get a B+ match before the opponent pins me easily." [/QUOTE] I have to disagree with your match rating comment. Recently I've seen myself pulling off atleast B matches or higher almost every match. And Im not using a premade guy,Im using the guy I took through rookie to legend. So you might have your moveset or stats to blame for that.

Well, I would have to agree with Payne. The game does get pretty repetitive quite quickly and there isn't really much different happening as you play more. You just click the same couple of moves that have worked against everyone else and hope you can counter the other guy. Not that it isn't fun in short bursts. Winning my first title in Rookie-to-Legend made me smile loads but since then, there hasn't been much to shout about. Its not a bad game, but its not great either. TEW though is still great and I'm still playing that. The original data in TEW is so much more fun than any others and I love the CornellVerse. The countless hours I've played that were well worth the $35 I paid. And of course, the $25 I paid for FiSpi weren't wasted either. I'll still dip into it from time to time, but it just isn't as much fun. There isn't enough depth to really make me want to keep playing and very little skill at all. ...... Derek B

Here's hoping that Mr. Ryland continues work on this series! For the first game in a series (hopefully), it's a grand step. I can see how the immersion factor can be problematic (I'm not a fan of the layout), but I really like this game a lot. Some things about the original data are a tad screwy; physical stats, in particular (why are The Lords of War set at 100%?) - but the blueprint Ryland has is borderline brilliant, imo. I created the Dynamite Kid and Tiger Mask and have been having a complete blast recreating their series of matches. So much fun, in fact, that I can honestly say it's the most entertained I have been while playing a text-based game (and that's saying a lot, considering the many excellent ones out there).

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland] I'd also disagree with you that there isn't a lot of strategy involved. Yes everything involved percentages (so does quite a large proportion of TEW, and every other sim game made), but when to go for certain moves, when to go for what counters, when to press your advantage, that's all strategy. From your previous posts Payne, you seem to be getting beaten a lot \ frustrated by the amount of moves you're taking - perhaps not using the strategic elements of the game is the reason you're not enjoying it as much as you could?[/QUOTE] Ya know, I haven't done everything in the game, so maybe I haven't hit all the nuances. The best thing that has been said is the fact that this is a game. I will never say I don't enjoy it, and I have been winning quite a bit lately. I do, in fact, enjoy it. I think I was expecting a TEW type of all out thinker. Like posted above, even I could take upwards of an hour to plan a night. I do not regret getting it. I also know I will jump on it from time to time. I guess I was just expecting something different. I know you, Adam, have stressed that this is a game, and not a sim. I guess I was just one of the people who only half-listened. :) Still, good game. Thank you for your work, and I hope I didn't offend you.

Seeing as D Boon's brought it up here, I thought I'd ask... Will an update Cornellverse roster be released with actual physical data? It seems kind of silly that someone's profile reads that they've taken years and years of physical pounding and are barely hanging in there... but they're 100% physical.

This game has sucked up my free time and I've enjoyed every minute of it. It has a learning curve of about an hour I'd say, and I'm winning almost all my matches these days but do find my moveset a bit repetitive at times, but that's because the opponents avoid or reverse most things I do, and they often go on endless series of moves without being reversed whereas that rarely happens for me, ah well. Makes winning that bit more exciting I guess The one thing I think WreSpi has over TEW is the speed. With the loading times more like that of EWR, you can breeze through years of the game and really get a feel of an expanding world. A sequel or new TEW with loading times like this would be awesome. I do recall Adam mentioning on the TEW boards that if he is to make TEW2005 that it would have loading times closer to WreSpi... which is nice ^-^

Archived