What preset product should I use for a brand new promotion?

So I want to start my own company. The most amount of money I can start with is a million dollars, so I need to pace myself. This means that I need to hire mostly unknowns, and only one or two established stars.

And when I say "established stars," that's relative, right there. Marc Dubois is the only guy of even mediocre stardom who is not retired and is even remotely willing to negotiate with a promotion of my size. But even if I make the offer on the first day, and even if I crank up the money as high as it will go and offer him creative control, hiring veto and wage matching, he STILL will take more than week (in other words, after I've already run my first show and have all my initial storylines set up) before he replies to my offer!

I previously went with either "American Wrestling" or "Fun for the Whole Family" as my product preset, since they were most favorable to getting TV deals and sponsorships. However, that also meant that my matches were rated based on the popularity of the wrestlers, not their wrestling skill. Needless to say, on my budget, I couldn't afford any real stars except in the main event, which means nearly every one of my matches on my first week were rated as "abysmal."

What preset should I instead go for if I want TV deals and sponsorships, but also want the matches to be rated based on skill rather than popularity?

Well, let's be constructive. Here's an example of of a lucha style product that featured more than just luchadors- WCW's Crusierweight Division in the late 90s. Yes, you had actual luchadors and high fliers, but you also had technical machines and submission artists like Dean Malenko and... uh... [NAME REDACTED], you had guys that were very entertainment oriented like Chris Jericho, Vampiro would show up every now and then and he brought quite a bit of versatility, being good at hardcore and brawling in addition to technique and high flying, etc.

TNA's X-Division was much the same way (and maybe it still is, I don't know, I've tried to watch it every now and then in the past year and it's... ow.) Samoa Joe is absolutely NOT what you'd think of when you think of a luchador, and he fit in very well. And while I don't think he was ever officially part of the X-Division, Hernandez is another guy who's a good example, because he did compete in Ultimate X and a guy that big keeping up with AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, and Homicide? That's impressive.

In TEW 2016 terms, "Lucha" products are going to, naturally, feature a bit of Lucha Libre, but also Traditional and a few other elements. Basically, anything that focuses on gimmicky characters engaged in exciting fast-paced battles of good vs. evil with workrate and entertainment skills being valued equally could be called a "Lucha" fed, at least as far as what you're trying to convey in a short hand fashion.

<p>Ok so I played a few weeks and I can't seem to get the hang of how to get my guys over. </p><p> </p><p>

I'm setting up 8 and 16-person tournaments as my initial storylines to crown the inaugural champions. Everyone who participates in the tournaments are classified as major characters, so every time any two of them have a match, that should advance the story. Sounds easy, right?</p><p> </p><p>

Only one problem, though: Whether the storylines gain or lose heat seems to be completely random. Is there a way to predict what's going to happen, or is there honestly an RNG element to the success of these stories that.</p><p> </p><p>

How do I get my guys over? And how do I improve their skills? I can see when I'm offering a contract to them that I have the option of using them ostensibly to develop their skills. But how do I develop those skills? It seems that the only skills that go up are mic skills, which go up every time I have one of my guys cut a promo.</p><p> </p><p>

In the GM mode of the old Smackdown vs. Raw games in the mid-to-late 2000s, getting my guys over was pretty straightforward. If they win, they gain popularity. It's as simple as that. Spam handicap matches to ensure as many people as possible get over in as little time as possible, and before you know it, you'll be getting fans by the literal millions every month.</p><p> </p><p>

Apparently, TEW wants to give players a more hardcore experience. This is fine. More challenging experiences can totally feel more rewarding when you finally do push past the challenge. But I still need some guidance on how to do that, because apparently it isn't just a simple matter of spamming handicap matches.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stebbinsd" data-cite="stebbinsd" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ok so I played a few weeks and I can't seem to get the hang of how to get my guys over. <p> </p><p> I'm setting up 8 and 16-person tournaments as my initial storylines to crown the inaugural champions. Everyone who participates in the tournaments are classified as major characters, so every time any two of them have a match, that should advance the story. Sounds easy, right?</p><p> </p><p> Only one problem, though: Whether the storylines gain or lose heat seems to be completely random. Is there a way to predict what's going to happen, or is there honestly an RNG element to the success of these stories that.</p><p> </p><p> How do I get my guys over? And how do I improve their skills? I can see when I'm offering a contract to them that I have the option of using them ostensibly to develop their skills. But how do I develop those skills? It seems that the only skills that go up are mic skills, which go up every time I have one of my guys cut a promo.</p><p> </p><p> In the GM mode of the old Smackdown vs. Raw games in the mid-to-late 2000s, getting my guys over was pretty straightforward. If they win, they gain popularity. It's as simple as that. Spam handicap matches to ensure as many people as possible get over in as little time as possible, and before you know it, you'll be getting fans by the literal millions every month.</p><p> </p><p> Apparently, TEW wants to give players a more hardcore experience. This is fine. More challenging experiences can totally feel more rewarding when you finally do push past the challenge. But I still need some guidance on how to do that, because apparently it isn't just a simple matter of spamming handicap matches.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Skill improvement for in-ring skills? 6-Man tags, with at least one guy having a high skill in which you want others to learn.</p><p> </p><p> For angle skills, that's a little trickier, but ideally, same principle. Have someone with a high acting, mic or entertainment (charisma) score in the ring while others see how it's done.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Matt_Black" data-cite="Matt_Black" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Skill improvement for in-ring skills? 6-Man tags, with at least one guy having a high skill in which you want others to learn.<p> </p><p> For angle skills, that's a little trickier, but ideally, same principle. Have someone with a high acting, mic or entertainment (charisma) score in the ring while others see how it's done.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> So other people will improve their skills simply by being in a match with a guy with a better score in that skill than them?</p><p> </p><p> Could I maximize that by having 30-man battle royals or something?</p><p> </p><p> Also ... how high does the teacher's skill need to be? Does it just need to be higher than the other guys? Or is there a minimum threshold?</p><p> </p><p> Also, how do I increase their popularity?</p>

<p>People gain in-ring skills naturally through working matches, up to a point, but to get to truly high skills they need to be working with people better than them. The better the person, the more they can gain.</p><p> </p><p>

You gain out-of-ring skills naturally over time and by working angles.</p><p> </p><p>

People gain overness by being in highly rated segments, by doing well in angles, and by winning matches. Beating someone who is more popular will gain popularity fastest.</p><p> </p><p>

Storylines gain or lose heat depending on how good the segments within it are. Lousy matches and angles are going to drop the heat, good matches and angles raise it. It's not random.</p><p> </p><p>

If you're truly interested in learning the mechanics of the game, you're far better off playing realistically - book singles and tag matches with appropriate people, run angles that make sense, etc. That's how the game is meant to be played and you will naturally learn how to play the game that way through experience. You will also find that most of your questions are answered by mimicking reality. How do you get people over? The same way as in reality, through wins and being given time in angles. How do I improve people's ring skills? The same as in reality, by putting them in the ring with people who are better than they are and giving them regular ring time.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>People gain overness by being in highly rated segments</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Isn't that a Catch 22 though? I mean, if I'm playing a promotion that focuses more on popularity than wrestling skill, they're going to have a low-rated match no matter what they do in the ring. But they need high-rated matches to get over.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>by doing well in angles,</div></blockquote><p> Could I cheat the system by having custom angles that involve 8 people, but where only one person (preferably my figurehead) is actually rated for overness, thus giving the other 7 guys some free overness? </p><p> </p><p> Could I reduce each of these angles to 1 minute each so I could cram as many of them as possible into one show, and it would still work? Or would not giving them enough time actually be detrimental to their overall rating?</p><p> </p><p> For added effect, could I make everyone in the angle have "major success" so their storylines almost always gain heat? Or am I complete misunderstanding how heat works in this game?</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>and by winning matches.</div></blockquote><p> Could I expedite this by having my most over guys (as well as a few locals) be put in 4-on-1 handicap matches, giving pushes to three guys at a time while only guy jobs out?</p><p> </p><p> Also, how do I increase my women's sex appeal? Do I simply spam sex appeal angles? Or is there another formula?</p>

<p>You seem very interested in how to game the system. Like Adam said, just play the game the way it's designed. In a small company it's really not hard to get people over. Now there is a cap depending on your company size and tv/ppv deals, but up to that cap it's pretty basic. </p><p> </p><p>

I will say it is harder to run a pop over performance company with a smaller company, but not much more so, just a different challenge. performance still matters.</p>

<p>Pop companies are the easiest to run by far in my opinion.</p><p> </p><p>

With pop companies you dont need to spend on skilled workers nor do you need a balanced roster, you literally just need 2-3 stars and the rest can be unemployed jobber types.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

I also recommend hiring all the BSC stipper girls and just running evening gown matches and drenching humiliation 2 v 1 angles. That particular angle is good because it doesnt receive penalties for being looks based if you have two decently over workers to do the Entertainment part.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stebbinsd" data-cite="stebbinsd" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Isn't that a Catch 22 though? I mean, if I'm playing a promotion that focuses more on popularity than wrestling skill, they're going to have a low-rated match no matter what they do in the ring. But they need high-rated matches to get over.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The matches only need to be highly rated in comparison to the worker's current popularity, therefore no, it is not a catch-22 situation.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stebbinsd" data-cite="stebbinsd" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Could I cheat the system by having custom angles that involve 8 people, but where only one person (preferably my figurehead) is actually rated for overness, thus giving the other 7 guys some free overness? </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It would be more effective to play properly in that situation.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stebbinsd" data-cite="stebbinsd" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Could I reduce each of these angles to 1 minute each so I could cram as many of them as possible into one show, and it would still work? Or would not giving them enough time actually be detrimental to their overall rating?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No you cannot as the segments would be too short to have any impact.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stebbinsd" data-cite="stebbinsd" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Could I expedite this by having my most over guys (as well as a few locals) be put in 4-on-1 handicap matches, giving pushes to three guys at a time while only guy jobs out?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stebbinsd" data-cite="stebbinsd" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Also, how do I increase my women's sex appeal? Do I simply spam sex appeal angles? Or is there another formula?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You can't actively impact that stat.</p>

<p>Yeah handicap matches dont actually work the way youd think, as far as putting 2 unover workers and beating an over worker and getting double your return.</p><p> </p><p>

On a strictly game mechanics discussion though, they ARE effective however at making over workers even more over, because if you put say, an 80 pop guy and a 50 pop guy against a 75 pop guy and keep him strong, the 80 pop guy will grow in overness like he just beat someone more popular.</p><p> </p><p>

Its one effective way of gaming handicapped matches but honestly I rarely use it because its just less effective than other ways and I dont care for the reduced match grades.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="scorpion" data-cite="scorpion" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You seem very interested in how to game the system. Like Adam said, just play the game the way it's designed. In a small company it's really not hard to get people over. Now there is a cap depending on your company size and tv/ppv deals, but up to that cap it's pretty basic. <p> </p><p> I will say it is harder to run a pop over performance company with a smaller company, but not much more so, just a different challenge. performance still matters.</p></div></blockquote><p> But you see ... I can't do that. If I don't get good ratings at the outset, I'm going to run out of money before too long.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Phreak" data-cite="Phreak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>There is an in game editor. You can go in there an set whatever stats you like. No gaming the system required!</div></blockquote><p> Where?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="stebbinsd" data-cite="stebbinsd" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="45305" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>But you see ... I can't do that. If I don't get good ratings at the outset, I'm going to run out of money before too long.<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's realistic. Just go into the in game editor(wrench icon I'm fairly certain it is on the default skin when you're in a game. Then hit "edit data" and double click on your promotion and set your money or whatever you want to change.</p>

Archived