The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

10 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

I just hope Ruby doesn't win the finals at Collision, though I'm not sure how they'll play it. On the one hand, the Outcasts have been on a streak (I hesitate to call it a "hot" streak, because "heat" is not something I associate with Toni Storm or Ruby Soho at this point) and they need to get some degree of comeuppance. On the other hand, if she loses, this will mark the THIRD tournament final she's managed to lose (last year's Owen and the TBS tournament).

I think she'll beat Willow in the Final. That sets up Willow to challenge Athena for the ROH title. Ruby won't be winning the AEW title anytime soon with Toni as champ so the Owen Cup would be a nice consolation.

- Jericho vs Kommander was solid. I like when they use old footage.
- Hook trying to catch Jack every week is fun. Renee interrupting phone calls... what a heel.
- Shots, shots, shots. Cole & MJF bonding over Fight Forever lol.
- Darby & Cassidy vs Sammy & Garcia was good. Sneaky Swerve strikes again. Right team won.
- I love how they're hyping up Nick Wayne. Shame Billie Starkz didn't get the same treatment.
- Cage & Bill vs MJF & Cole was fun. MJF sold like crazy. Tony Schiavone salty lol.
- Don > Hager.
- Ruby vs Blue was solid. They got shortchanged for time.
- Harley > Caster.
- Swerve vs Wayne was my MOTN. Catchy entrance theme.
- PAC subbing in for Danielson makes sense. IBUSHI!

2 hours ago, milamber said:

I think she'll beat Willow in the Final. That sets up Willow to challenge Athena for the ROH title. Ruby won't be winning the AEW title anytime soon with Toni as champ so the Owen Cup would be a nice consolation.

AEW really, REALLY needs to build credible faces for the women's division as right now it's just Statlander and Britt, and Britt's only a face because the crowd turned hard on Saraya and Toni Storm when it became apparent that Mercedes Monet wasn't showing up anytime soon. (Shida is never around long enough to build up any momentum.)

Willow is likeable, good in the ring, and getting good reactions. It would be a waste not to capitalize on that, sending her to the "I Can't Believe It's Not AEW Dark!" that is ROH.

6 hours ago, milamber said:

The only other ROH regulars with any momentum are Skye & Diamante.

No one would know that, because outside of one or two champions, they rarely mention ROH happenings on TV. At least with Dark and Elevation, they'd put the results on Dynamite.

• Like 1

Taya is getting a shot at the Women’s title after she lost to Jade, lost to Statlander and lost to Shida. I appreciate that you all have opinions but let’s face it, this company doesn’t even try with its Women’s division. They simply don’t care.

Edited by Mootinie
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Mootinie said:

Taya is getting a shot at the Women’s title after she lost to Jade, lost to Statlander and lost to Shida. I appreciate that you all have opinions but let’s face it, this company doesn’t even try with its Women’s division. They simply don’t care.

Further example- next week, we are getting the Royal Rampage, which is the the FIFTH telelvised battle royal for the men in 2023. Meanwhile, the women's division has not had a battle royal since All Out 2021.

Also, Toni Storm trying to cut an in-ring heel promo is PAINFUL to watch.

Edited by Matt_Black

On 7/14/2023 at 6:50 PM, Matt_Black said:

No one would know that, because outside of one or two champions, they rarely mention ROH happenings on TV. At least with Dark and Elevation, they'd put the results on Dynamite.

Most people who will buy the ROH PPV shuold be watching weekly ROH.

3 hours ago, milamber said:

Most people who will buy the ROH PPV shuold be watching weekly ROH.

That's not me, then. I'm certainly not paying $9.99/ month for the spiritual successor to AEW Dark.

Battle Of The Belts was the 2nd biggest waste of time AEW has ever produced. (The biggest, of course, is AEW All Access). On the plus side, the feed cutting out was the most interesting finish for an Outcasts match we've ever seen.

Collision was... a bit of a mess. The tag title match went WAY too long. I don't think anyone needs to see a straight hour of Juice Robinson. The House Of Black squash match should have followed that, instead of the women's final. Speaking of, why did the women's final match have an announced time limit (not that it came into play) but CM Punk vs. Ricky Starks gets "as long as it takes"? THIS is why people think AEW doesn't take it's women's division seriously, because they treat it's not as big a deal.

12 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

That's not me, then. I'm certainly not paying $9.99/ month for the spiritual successor to AEW Dark.

Battle Of The Belts was the 2nd biggest waste of time AEW has ever produced. (The biggest, of course, is AEW All Access). On the plus side, the feed cutting out was the most interesting finish for an Outcasts match we've ever seen.

Collision was... a bit of a mess. The tag title match went WAY too long. I don't think anyone needs to see a straight hour of Juice Robinson. The House Of Black squash match should have followed that, instead of the women's final. Speaking of, why did the women's final match have an announced time limit (not that it came into play) but CM Punk vs. Ricky Starks gets "as long as it takes"? THIS is why people think AEW doesn't take it's women's division seriously, because they treat it's not as big a deal.

Do you have anything positive to say about it?

• Like 1

Saw the Tag Team highlights on YouTube. Loved the endings of each fall. The subtlety of Dax removing his knee pad so he can lock the move in more is a piece of amazing psychology! Punk v Starks felt slow from the highlights I saw. Starks being a heel is the best thing for him. He’s a natural heel especially with Punk as the top babyface in collision Starks can easily fill in the top singles cocky heel role. Shocked he won honestly, wonder if the bag from Punks return promo will play into it? Thought originally punks bag would lead to collision having its own title.

• Like 1

FTR vs BCG ruled. 

Ian Riccaboni was exceptional on commentary too. With all due respect to Kevin Kelly, we need Ian on the call going forward.

5 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Shocked he won honestly, wonder if the bag from Punks return promo will play into it? Thought originally punks bag would lead to collision having its own title.

They could do a Wrestle Kingdom deal where CM Punk defends his AEW World title at All In with the winner of that match facing MJF at All Out.

Edited by Mootinie
  • Like 2

Collision:

- I prefer the FITE commercial music to the Elton song. I like the pre-match promo montage. Ian brings out the best in Nigel.
- BCG vs FTR (c) was a MOTY Contender. Wrong result unless MJF & Cole are winning the titles soon.
- Blood & Guts hype!
- Ruby vs Willow was good. Would have been happy with either winning. The women's tournament matches were all shorter than the men's :(
- Keep Hobbs away from QTV.
- KotBT vs Jobbers was a fun squash.
- Ricky vs Punk was good. Ricky cheating to win and blowing off Liger haha.

Better than Dynamite again.

BOTB VII

- Cassidy (c) vs Archer was solid.
- Taya vs Storm was solid until to the feed crapped out. At least they showed the finish later.
- Spears vs Luchasaurus (c) was solid.

Below average show.

23 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

I'm enjoying ROH weekly shows but it is a big ask financially. I don't think I'm buying the PPV this time with Mark Briscoe injured, although Athena vs Willow should be great. Utami from Stardom just taped a match so hopefully they book her for the PPV against Blue or Hirsch.

Disagree about the tag match. When they announced there was 5 minutes left I was like WTF it's felt like only half an hour. In my review I noted that the women's matches were shorter than the men's matches in the Owen Cup and putting them right after the tag match was tough. Always one step forward one step back with the women's division.

Edited by milamber

3 hours ago, Mootinie said:

FTR vs BCG ruled. 

Ian Riccaboni was exceptional on commentary too. With all due respect to Kevin Kelly, we need Ian on the call going forward.

They could do a Wrestle Kingdom deal where CM Punk defends his AEW World title at All In with the winner of that match facing MJF at All Out.

I liked Kevin behind the desk, but for me Riccaboni is a definite upgrade. Just keep Excalibur & Schiavone away from the Collision Desk.

10 hours ago, Wrestling Machine said:

FTR vs BCG has been great! Didn't really understand the finish, BCG won't tap to the double submission, only to tap out like 30 sec later to the same move? Am I missing something? ... Great work from all 4 tho!

Dax removed his knee pad, allowing him to add more leverage.

• Like 2

I finally have a couple days off work and playing catch up on wrestling from the last week.

On ROH, Caprice says "Serpentico isn't a small man, Big Bill is just that big"

Dude, Serpentico is TINY. He's billed at 5'6" and 185lbs. Caprice isn't a bad commentator, but for some reason this really irked me. Just a nonsense line of commentary.