The All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Jaysin

9 hours ago, ColdBloodedSausageMaker said:

Sammy is miscast as a heel. His promos and in-ring work are much better as a babyface.

You're very much in the minority here. Sammy is a terrible face. His real life scummy aura is way too thick to be a believable face.

Sammy Guevara is born and bleeding a heel. Despite everything he does and how talented he is, he is a heel. To me, he's reached X-Pac go away heat. He is immensely talented, but he runs people badly, is involved in some rough incidents and is heavily protected. It's annoying and until he does a Jack Perry, or CM Punk, he'll always be in AEW.

45 minutes ago, FellaLibby said:

Sammy Guevara is born and bleeding a heel. Despite everything he does and how talented he is, he is a heel. To me, he's reached X-Pac go away heat. He is immensely talented, but he runs people badly, is involved in some rough incidents and is heavily protected. It's annoying and until he does a Jack Perry, or CM Punk, he'll always be in AEW.

That feud with American Top Team/Scorpio Sky was awful for everyone involved. Sammy and Tay got the spot that was supposed to be for Cody and Brandi (these two were really something else huh) and the whole program brought everyone down. Tay went from a badass judo black belt to a bad valet. They should not have been paired on screen IMO. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, aXminster said:

That feud with American Top Team/Scorpio Sky was awful for everyone involved. Sammy and Tay got the spot that was supposed to be for Cody and Brandi (these two were really something else huh) and the whole program brought everyone down. Tay went from a badass judo black belt to a bad valet. They should not have been paired on screen IMO. 

Sadly it's probably their choice because they are a couple. And while fine on the surface, its even worse when Sammy had a fiance and proposed to her on AEW TV. Which was a great heartfelt moment. And was a moment that led to believability that Sammy is an alright guy. Then... The videos of him and Tay being suspiciously close. So close that they eventually became a couple that rubbed everybody in the wrong way. And yeah you're right, they should be separated on screen, but they won't. And I'll never understand why TK is sooo in love with them and their pairing.

I truly think the worst thing about Sammy is he does act like a prima donna HBK. Thing is, guy has it made and he knows it. He acts like he can do anything and fans see it and hear about it. Fans want to see him get humbled, despite him having a good amount of tremendous matches, it still doesn't erase the feel he hasn't earned any of it. Because he keeps getting into incidents involving other wrestlers that fans like more, like Eddie Kingston or Andrade, and in those cases Sammy gets away unscathed (mostly). That's what bothers me the most. The only time he's had to answer for something was what he said in the past about Mercedes Mone, and even then I still don't believe he's sincere or have learned.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaysin said:

You're very much in the minority here. Sammy is a terrible face. His real life scummy aura is way too thick to be a believable face.

But is this because he genuinely has a punchable face? Or because we are privy to the backstage happenings? Obviously, we can't unring that bell, but if all you had was his in ring work to go by, would he be a great heel and average face? Or would he still be a great heel and a terrible face? (Feel free to switch out "great" for whatever you think is more suitable). 

13 minutes ago, CQI13 said:

But is this because he genuinely has a punchable face? Or because we are privy to the backstage happenings? Obviously, we can't unring that bell, but if all you had was his in ring work to go by, would he be a great heel and average face? Or would he still be a great heel and a terrible face? (Feel free to switch out "great" for whatever you think is more suitable). 

He skeeved me out before all that stuff came out, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. He just has an aura about him. That said, I want to be wrong about him. Still, he's not a bad worker or anything and is capable of very good matches. He's just not likable to me and his off screen chemistry with Tay doesn't really translate onto the screen to make them a likable couple on camera. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaysin said:

He skeeved me out before all that stuff came out, but gave him the benefit of the doubt. He just has an aura about him. That said, I want to be wrong about him. Still, he's not a bad worker or anything and is capable of very good matches. He's just not likable to me and his off screen chemistry with Tay doesn't really translate onto the screen to make them a likable couple on camera. 

Sammy should've never proposed on-screen to his now ex-fiance.

It worked initially, but when the relationship went sour, the fans (rightfully) hated Sammy.

I don't think AEW fans ever forgave Sammy for breaking up with his on-screen fiance and immediately getting hitched to a new spouse. And they shouldn't.

Before Sammy got with Tay, he was over as a babyface. And since, his bad decisions have only made Sammy more unlikable.

Either way, Sammy has way too much microphone time for a guy who is a poor promo. He'd probably do better if they cut down on that.

Any heel who does a shooting star press in a match is clearly confused about what he wants to be. I hate it. To the point where I could probably be convinced it's intentional and good heat. He reminds me a lot of the kids I used to train with. They all wanted to be bad boy heels, and they all wanted to do cool moves and make the babyfaces look bad, and they all complained when I got put in main events when the flashiest thing I did was an elbow drop.   

He's a natural at being a cocky twerp who wants to be liked, and thinks he should be liked. The Shawn Michaels comparison is interesting, but where Shawn excelled in the ring at bumping around for his opponents (like a heel) Sammy's focus has always seemed to be on his own movez (like a babyface). There's a disconnect. 

Personally, I'd let him go, see what he does outside of AEW for a year, then bring him back with a new twist. The dose of humility might do him good, but then maybe I'm being worked. Maybe it's an act. Maybe I'd like him in person.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting caught up on AEW and I'm probably in the minority, but wouldn't it be rad if Edge turned heel at Full Gear? It could lead to Sting vs Edge at Revolution. 

Christian vs Sting is also one I'd really love to happen on ppv or a major episode of TV. TNA botched the chance to book them in a singles feud and they could have really done something fun together. Christian is also one of the smartest in ring workers around and I think he'd bring out a good match with Sting. 

3 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Getting caught up on AEW and I'm probably in the minority, but wouldn't it be rad if Edge turned heel at Full Gear? It could lead to Sting vs Edge at Revolution. 

He also need to wrestle more. One match in two months is not enough. All the hype is basically gone.

5 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Christian vs Sting is also one I'd really love to happen on ppv or a major episode of TV. TNA botched the chance to book them in a singles feud and they could have really done something fun together. Christian is also one of the smartest in ring workers around and I think he'd bring out a good match with Sting. 

Unsure if Sting should be in a singles match at this point. I think seeing him in tag matches is the best way to use him. Limits his involvement to big moments. Allows him to rest and rely on others for the meat of the match. A typical limited older wrestler role.

6 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Edge absolutely should turn Heel.

I definitely think Edge would be a bigger draw teaming with Christian than fighting him, but I do want Edge vs. Christian to happen first.

Edge vs. Christian probably is the hottest match AEW can do right now.

8 hours ago, Self said:

Any heel who does a shooting star press in a match is clearly confused about what he wants to be. I hate it. To the point where I could probably be convinced it's intentional and good heat. He reminds me a lot of the kids I used to train with. They all wanted to be bad boy heels, and they all wanted to do cool moves and make the babyfaces look bad, and they all complained when I got put in main events when the flashiest thing I did was an elbow drop.   

He's a natural at being a cocky twerp who wants to be liked, and thinks he should be liked. The Shawn Michaels comparison is interesting, but where Shawn excelled in the ring at bumping around for his opponents (like a heel) Sammy's focus has always seemed to be on his own movez (like a babyface). There's a disconnect. 

Personally, I'd let him go, see what he does outside of AEW for a year, then bring him back with a new twist. The dose of humility might do him good, but then maybe I'm being worked. Maybe it's an act. Maybe I'd like him in person.

Agree fully. Sammy used to be my favorite AEW wrestler before it became clear what a real-life scumbag he is.

I've always thought Guevara had potential in his in-ring work and promos, but he clearly would benefit from developing them some more.

(Right now, Anthony Bowens is now my favorite AEW wrestler)

Tony really should send Sammy off to either AAA, NJPW or CMLL. It'd be like an excursion but for American talent.

Let him be the job guy in a Heel stable somewhere else. Sammy could use some humility.

For example, Sammy could do some work in CMLL Los Ingobernables and then do a tour with NJPW in LIJ.

Either way, he clearly needs to be off AEW Television for some time. The fans are past sick of Sammy Guevara at this point.

Edited by ColdBloodedSausageMaker

- Garcia the Professional Wrestler vs MJF (c) was good.

- Darby & Sting vs Outrunners was a solid squash.

- Toni & Shida with a historic contract signing.

- Swerve vs Penta was my MOTN. Crazy cowboy!

- Switchblade is better than you and you know it.

- Callis Family/Yakuza tie-in makes sense. Bucks should turn heel.

- Lee vs Joe (c) was good. Interesting timing on Joe vacating the title before Final Battle.

- Strong Cassidy promo. Gunns speaking the truth.

- Julia vs Velvet was good. Lots of tension after the match with Skye & Stat.

- Mariah May is here and she's fangirling over Toni!

- White vs Briscoe was good. Beatdown! Bowens through the glass! Devil!

On 11/8/2023 at 1:21 PM, Self said:

Personally, I'd let him go, see what he does outside of AEW for a year, then bring him back with a new twist.

He wouldn't come back if you let him go. If Sammy Guevara was a free agent, I think he would be debuting on NXT on The CW within a matter of weeks. Failing that, I think he would be a great fit for NJPW and could pick up dates in TNA. The guy can really go when the bell rings, just imagine what he could do with Mike Bailey, Hiromu Takahashi or Taiji Ishimori. Imagine Sammy Guevara versus Will Ospreay... 

No, if AEW were to let him go or to try and send him away to AAA or CMLL, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Sammy would think twice about whether he wants to re-up his contract with AEW when it comes due. I already think Ricky Starks is on his way out and I don't think it's crazy to assume that WWE would make some sort of move for Sammy Guevara.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:40 AM, Mootinie said:

He wouldn't come back if you let him go. If Sammy Guevara was a free agent, I think he would be debuting on NXT on The CW within a matter of weeks. Failing that, I think he would be a great fit for NJPW and could pick up dates in TNA. The guy can really go when the bell rings, just imagine what he could do with Mike Bailey, Hiromu Takahashi or Taiji Ishimori. Imagine Sammy Guevara versus Will Ospreay... 

No, if AEW were to let him go or to try and send him away to AAA or CMLL, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Sammy would think twice about whether he wants to re-up his contract with AEW when it comes due. I already think Ricky Starks is on his way out and I don't think it's crazy to assume that WWE would make some sort of move for Sammy Guevara.

Sammy I think would head over to TNA. I could see WWE passing over him for his style in the ring. As I believe Self mentioned he struggles to be a babyface or a heel. That’s what WWE is built. He is a better fit for an Indy minded company.

As for Starks, I’ve seen that opinion multiple times recently. Did something happen that started this speculation?

On 11/9/2023 at 12:30 AM, aXminster said:

He also need to wrestle more. One match in two months is not enough. All the hype is basically gone.

What's up with AEW and killing momentum of their new signings? 

There was no other big debut or big injury return when Edge/Copeland had his debut. He had the spotlight, only him. They have somehow managed to cool him down. He didn't do anything special or memorable except the shoot promo with Ricky Starks. He feels like another vet on the roster now. 

Other than that, I am just happy Joe is back in the is in the Main event picture again. Him Vs MJF is going to give us some spicy promos.

2 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Sammy I think would head over to TNA. I could see WWE passing over him for his style in the ring. As I believe Self mentioned he struggles to be a babyface or a heel. That’s what WWE is built. He is a better fit for an Indy minded company.

As for Starks, I’ve seen that opinion multiple times recently. Did something happen that started this speculation?

Starks was at the Rumble back stage with Cody Rhodes and is Cody's friend and protege.

19 minutes ago, SanX said:

What's up with AEW and killing momentum of their new signings? 

There was no other big debut or big injury return when Edge/Copeland had his debut. He had the spotlight, only him. They have somehow managed to cool him down. He didn't do anything special or memorable except the shoot promo with Ricky Starks. He feels like another vet on the roster now. 

Other than that, I am just happy Joe is back in the is in the Main event picture again. Him Vs MJF is going to give us some spicy promos.

TK has a huge problem with striking while the iron is hot.

I remember three situations from the top of my head:
- Thunder Rosa losing at Revolution just to win the championship two weeks later in her hometown. It wasn't the same.
- The Acclaimed losing at All Out just to win the championship at Grand Slam. It wasn't the same.
- Jade Cargill's story being stalled for what it felt like decades while they waited for Statlander to come back from injury and be the one to dethrone her.

Copeland came in with huge hype, pulling in millions of views on Youtube and... he's had one singles match in two months.

Oh, and I forgot about Takeshita. He pinned Omega twice and nothing came out of it. Lately AEW feels like it's on hold. I'm really concerned about The Devil's reveal now, they are dropping the ball a lot.