Codenames [game]

Paws7297

Okay, so this is a game I learned at a gaming convention and absolutely loved.

So I saw it on Mafia Universe converted into a forum game, and I want to do the same here and play with my mafia friends, (and anyone else interested).

This is a video on how the game goes.

Rules:

(Copy and paste from the thread on MU)

There will be two teams, 1 person from each team will be the spy master, they will know the colours of all the words. There will be 25 words, 9 will be red/blue and 8 will be the other colour of red/blue. 1 will be the assassin (death) and the rest will be innocent bystanders. The rest of the players will be on their team

The Spymasters will take it in turns saying a clue and a number, e.g spoon 3, meaning there are 3 words associated with the word spoon. It's his teams job then to guess a word, if it is the same colour as their teams (regardless of whether the spymaster intended that with his clue) they will get to press again and they can keep going until they've pressed the number their spymaster said +1 (4 in my previous example).

There's some rules for clues e.g it can't be related to it's sound/position/spelling. E.g you can't give the clue gland for England, you can't say fifth or top to say where the word is positioned on the board and you can't give a clue that rhymes e.g. dog as a clue for bog.

Ask more questions here and please watch the video before asking any questions.

Ideally we're looking for like 6/8/10 people.*

All discussion will be done in the game thread so that the other team/spymasters can see what everyone is thinking but you can't instruct your spymaster on what to do with their clues but they might give a later clue based off what you were thinking.

Once we have a signup let me know who is willing to spymaster and I'll randomize the teams from there and explain more firm rules for guessing etc.

I will have a separate spymaster chat with me to make sure their clues are legal as they won't be able to communicate in thread.

I'll probably do phases are 24 hours or until a teams turn is over.

EDIT: to clarify, if a team guesses the assassin word the game instantly ends with the other team winning.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teams have been RNGd and are:

Red Team:

ShadowedFlames (Spymaster)

mdylan511

Rayelek

Blue Team:

Jaded (Spymaster)

Destiny

Leion

In my next post, I will specify which team is first, as well as a picture of the board.

The spymaster for the starting team will then give you your hint.

Tall with your team mate in the thread to come up with each word.

Only guess one word at a time, and wait to be told if your word was correct or not before trying to guess anymore words. When your turn is over, I will announce that it is the other teams word.

You can discuss with each other as much as you want.

To guess a word type it in boldface, purple font: Like This

Spy masters cannot speak with their teammates other than their 1 hint.

Feel free to ask about anything I may have missed.

Edit:

Turns are 24 hours. Please try to have your turn complete in this time. If it becomes a problem, I will have to end turns before they've finished guessing.

Second Edit:

Each team can have one bonus guess per turn, if they get their guesses correct.

Example:

If the hint is black - 2, and the first 2 guesses are correct, you may guess one more word. (Making 3 guesses)

However, this bonus guess its blottr available on the first turn.

Teams have been RNGd and are:

Red Team:

ShadowedFlames (Spymaster)

mdylan511

Rayelek

Blue Team:

Jaded (Spymaster)

Destiny

Leion

In my next post, I will specify which team is first, as well as a picture of the board.

The spymaster for the starting team will then give you your hint.

Tall with your team mate in the thread to come up with each word.

Only guess one word at a time, and wait to be told if your word was correct or not before trying to guess anymore words. When your turn is over, I will announce that it is the other teams word.

You can discuss with each other as much as you want.

To guess a word type it in boldface, purple font: Like This

Spy masters cannot speak with their teammates other than their 1 hint.

Feel free to ask about anything I may have missed.

Quick question I'm curious about playing the next game. Should the clue be a one word clue and a number? or are you just doing a clue?

Archived