How do you get over creative burn out?

So I’ve been playing a lot of CVerser stuff but want to start a real world modern day mod as seen a couple I like the look of. But I was wondering how does anyone play as wwe with over 100 wrestlers and two major shows without getting burnt out? At the moment I’d probably have to start with more stories than I run in a year! I tend to like imagining a moment in my mind and working back from there.

So I guess the question is how do you get around creative burn out?

<p>Book things you want to see. I've been playing my current game 87-00 and the biggest thing to make sure it maintains my interest is to keep mixing it up.</p><p> </p><p>

I follow certain stories that happened in real life like Rock vs. Mankind 99 and Cactus Jack vs. Triple H 2000. Otherwise, I do totally new things.</p><p> </p><p>

If you are attempting a current real world mod, you need to think of matches you would want to see and stars you want to build.</p><p> </p><p>

Another big problem I notice with people playing real world mods, is they don't create competition with themselves in other promotions. For example, they will get a ton of talent but not release unused talent. Whenever I sign someone, I release two talents. I also release BIG NAME talent all the time. I want them to go to the competition to make the game more entertaining.</p><p> </p><p>

For example, I'm in 2000. I plan on releasing Austin and Rock in 2002 to see what happens. I also take control of other promotions and sign talent that I want them to have and will edit a workers popularity to make them a star.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dave E Mac" data-cite="Dave E Mac" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So I’ve been playing a lot of CVerser stuff but want to start a real world modern day mod as seen a couple I like the look of. But I was wondering how does anyone play as wwe with over 100 wrestlers and two major shows without getting burnt out? At the moment I’d probably have to start with more stories than I run in a year! I tend to like imagining a moment in my mind and working back from there. <p> </p><p> So I guess the question is how do you get around creative burn out?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It’s hard, I suffered it with a save that I had lots of ideas for, I got to a point and didn’t end up going back on it for a few weeks, remembered majority of where I was going with everything, but couldn’t write the next show.</p><p> </p><p> - To begin I think it’s important to familiarise yourself with the past few shows before the mod starts. I started one which was on of my favourite parts innhsitory, where I watched WWF religiously and when I started the game I realised how much in my memory things happened at different times to what I remember. </p><p> - then read the next show and see where they were going with it, and make your changes from there. Sometimes you look back and think why did they do that. But when a mod is done properly you realise that because of who’s heel/face and who’s over, who is the belt etc, that was the option for them to go forward. </p><p> - I think having a ‘go to’ show format helps (eg open show with an angle from someone in the major storyline) </p><p> - The other thing is to plan out where you want to go with certain characters. Not everybody has to have a storyline (even in the upper card) they can be used a jobbers to fit in with your storylines (eg a main event worker without a storyline, may still be needed) sometimes by doing this they can actually become involved in the storyline, it may give you an idea along the way.</p><p> -If you have a massive roster and want to keep them, you can create large stables. Where some of the members are just literally on screen. But may take part in an angle or match or two.</p>

<p>Some top tips. I do like releasing people and use a one in one out policy. But I’ve already ditched a few main event talents I had no interest in working with. I agree you need to keep the world populated with decent talent otherwise it can get boring really quick. </p><p> </p><p>

At the moment my main story arc involves a 5 month feud that will see Finn Bálor best Brock for the Universal title at mania only to lose it the next night in Raw to Kevin Owens. So that’s my main focus. And also an idea of HHH winning the tag titles with Tommaso Ciampa which will start an NXT invasion storyline as Trips will basically turn heel on NXT saying they’ve all let him down on the main roster.</p>

<p>To some extent, I’m not sure you CAN with a roster and company that big - and honestly, it’s something I’ve always talked about when I tell others about TEW - it does a really good job simulating the underlying problems with a lot of wrestling companies. </p><p> </p><p>

I mean, clearly even the WWE writers and wrestlers suffer from creative burnout, and its ostensibly their job to put on the best shows possible.</p><p> </p><p>

I don’t play a lot of WWE games, but in CVerse, the first thing I do when I add a show is decrease the length of other shows. WWE has what... 8 ish hours a week? That’s impossible to fill. </p><p> </p><p>

Also I find that the larger my company gets, the more important it becomes to do things like bookkeeping and catagorizing. Use the “division” assignment option. (Inforget the name, but the cruiserweight, young lion, heavyweight, etc line). Use stables, even if it’s only to track loose affiliations you want to remember. And keep your storyline info up to date.</p><p> </p><p>

Also, try playing characters against type. In my last WWE game I did play, (‘97 mod) I had some guy named Golddust on my roster. I’d never heard of the guy, so I wound up turning him into a face team with Mankind as 2 guys who just wanted friends, but everyone else treated them like monsters - obviously, having seen some of his matches since then... that’s definitely not the character.</p><p>

Likewise, I have a current Joshi game where I took a character who normally plays a Jpop idol and turned her into a crazed obsessive who stalks people and threatens to murder them. Playing the characters at an angle from their usual character gives a lot of new ideas.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dave E Mac" data-cite="Dave E Mac" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So I’ve been playing a lot of CVerser stuff but want to start a real world modern day mod as seen a couple I like the look of. But I was wondering how does anyone play as wwe with over 100 wrestlers and two major shows without getting burnt out? At the moment I’d probably have to start with more stories than I run in a year! I tend to like imagining a moment in my mind and working back from there. <p> </p><p> So I guess the question is how do you get around creative burn out?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> For me personally I will often take over the #2 or #3 promotion...build them into an unstoppable juggernaut of A-rated shows with most of the top stars under contract, then I'll switch user characters to take over the former #1 and try to build them back to the top...</p><p> </p><p> ...for example just started up a game with the 1994 Clash of the Titans mod. I'm starting with WCW and it's fairly easy for a human player in this mod to take WCW to #1 and knock the WWF down to cult. Once I do that I'll switch my user character to Vince McMahon and try to "save" the WWF with a depleted roster</p><p> </p><p> Pretty much all my most favorite saves with TEW 16 are some variation on that theme, although might be hard with modern day WWE as no one is really close to them in popularity and star power</p>

<p>I think the easiest way is to not worry about the creative side at all! I just throw together ad hoc shows (3 per week, with a roster of 60) and see what happens. </p><p> </p><p>

It doesn’t hurt ratings - if anything, it helps because you can focus on a better show rather than doing things to fit a story.</p>

I agree with a lot of the things said above. Letting guys go who are very popular/good, but that you don't want to work with can only help the competition, and help raise your game too. A few things to add that help for me:

o
Give out the odd 'kayfabe' injury
. I like to write people off tv for a few months, and bring them back fresher than they were before the 'injury'. I'll give them paid time off, for maybe 3 or 6 months. I have given a year off before in a very long running game I had. Then when he came back, he only did backstage or on camera segments for nearly six months!! His first match back tanked, but it was a cool build up. Giving workers 'kayfabe' injuries trims your roster down, without having to lose the guy or girl who's injured. You may not have anything planned for John Cena right now, but send him away for three months, and when he comes back, he's straight into a major feud!! But release him, and he may end up elsewhere, or may never want to come back to you!

o
Don't be afraid to not use everyone on a show.
I see a lot of people book a show with five 6-man tags and two singles matches so that their entire roster is used!! I actually prefer to book where top talents may not be there every week (much like NXT for example). A five week arc could be something like this:

Week One: Tommaso Ciampa backstage promo on Velveteen Dream

Week Two: Velveteen Dream Responds!!

Week Three: Hype video or just screen shot saying: 'CIAMPA and DREAM in the ring at the same time next week!!'

Week Four: In ring altercation between the two.

Week Five: Tag Team match with Dream and Ciampa on opposite sides!

Then we have a pay-per-view level feud built, and they've only competed in one match! You could even have Dream in a singles match and Ciampa interfere, so only Dream has competed for the five weeks!! This reduces YOU burning out writing for that character, as he rarely competes. It reduces the character becoming stale with the 'audience' (if you're writing a diary), and makes their appearances MEAN more!

o
Jobbers!!
One thing WWE doesn't do very well right now is use 'local enhancement talent'. Remember James Elsworth?! He was a local talent that Braun Strowman squashed, and got himself over. But jobbers who are unknown can be a real benefit. You could go the route they've gone with Curt Hawkins, which is to give the jobber a character. Hawkins' being his HUGE 'losing streak'. He's pretty over because of it, even though the fans think he'll lose every time he steps in the ring.

o
Mix feuds together, and then split them apart again.
For example. Let's say you have Cedric Alexander feuding with Jack Gallagher. and Elias feuding with Kevin Owens. Booking an Elias/Cedric versus Gallagher/KO tag team match would be a great stand alone match. Let's say you've just had the pay-per-view blow off of both matches, the next night on RAW you have the tag match, and then Elias and Cedric begin a long-term tag team!! OR, they feud themselves depending on the way the match went.

o
Tag Teams.
Throw some random pairings together. It allows you to get behind some people you may not have in the past, and creates an instant feud if the team splits down the road. In my diaries, I constantly do this. The 'best' teams in my RW saves are normally NOT tag teams from real life. I tend to go for aesthetics when pairing two singles workers (think Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan in NXT. They have a similar look, and ring gear). Some examples of teams I've applied this to in the past: Tommaso Ciampa and Antonio Cesaro… Shelton Benjamin and Apollo Crews... Kassius Ohno and Leo Kruger (from back when they were in NXT originally)…

o
Family Feuds.
I'm a big believer in this last one. Stone Cold Steve Austin got massively over in his feud with Vince McMahon. But a lot of top WWE guys did well due to storylines involving Vince's family. (Triple H, The Rock, Mankind, Undertaker to name a few). I believe people care more if Family is involved. Shawn Michaels vs Jericho was always going to be a winner of a feud, but when Jericho 'accidentally' punched Mrs. Michaels, that feud became BOTH of their best!!

These are just some things that sprung to mind that I do. There are hundreds of ways of doing this though, and you'll find your own ;)

Guest skinsfan55

o Don't be afraid to not use everyone on a show. I see a lot of people book a show with five 6-man tags and two singles matches so that their entire roster is used!! I actually prefer to book where top talents may not be there every week (much like NXT for example). A five week arc could be something like this:

Week One: Tommaso Ciampa backstage promo on Velveteen Dream

Week Two: Velveteen Dream Responds!!

Week Three: Hype video or just screen shot saying: 'CIAMPA and DREAM in the ring at the same time next week!!'

Week Four: In ring altercation between the two.

Week Five: Tag Team match with Dream and Ciampa on opposite sides!

This is excellent advice for storytelling... but in the mechanics of the game, the more you have your workers wrestle the more they improve.

It's one of the things I think is actually unlike real life. Of course workers really get better the more practice they have, but they work in training and house shows etc. Only in smaller companies do you need guys to get constant work on every event.

<p>Creative burnout is something I get hit with a lot doing a current day WWE save as my first one. My games been going on for a year and a half and I really enjoy the booking and storyline portion of TEW 2016 even if it’s slightly barebones. Lately my cure for burnout is doing something different that causes some rifts and freshens up the game world.</p><p> </p><p>

Example: Originally 205 Live was a graveyard at the start of the save. It took me the better part of an in-game year to get it to an acceptable state, with Zack Sabre Jr leading the division into a new era. Most of the roster is 40-45 pop, with an exception to Roddy Strong and Austin Aries who have 50-55, and the Cruiserweight Champion ZSJ just hitting the 60s. A lot of the roster is floundering, so I’ve reactivated the European Championship to be unique to the 205 Live brand for the lower guys to fight for with a massive tournament to crown the champion. The resurrection of 205 Live was a lot of fun to experiment with and I’m introducing a “205 Takeover” type event since a lot of my fueds are catching steam.</p><p> </p><p>

Other things I like to try out are continuous and intricate stories. I had Seth Rollins, the WWE Champion and gatekeeper of Smackdown Live betray his own brand to be with the Shield on RAW right around Survivor Series. Mr Money In The Bank Cesaro would be commissioned by Paige to cash in and save Smackdown, which he did. Sami Zayn is in the midst of an Authority storyline with HHH over his rigged Universal Title match.</p><p> </p><p>

Overall since the current day WWE Roster is already massive, and I’ve released and signed since then, and some great talent STILL get lost in the shuffle. Sometimes a good few days or weeks away and watching some wrestling get me back into the mood to play it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="skinsfan55" data-cite="skinsfan55" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is excellent advice for storytelling... but in the mechanics of the game, the more you have your workers wrestle the more they improve.<p> </p><p> It's one of the things I think is actually unlike real life. Of course workers really get better the more practice they have, but they work in training and house shows etc. Only in smaller companies do you need guys to get constant work on every event.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That’s what pre-shows are for. I treat these as practise matches bringing in guys who have no chance of making it onto tv for the established stars to defeat. Not necessarily dregs but Indy guys I don’t see having an interesting character for TV.</p><p> </p><p> Also, I’m amazed at how many people try to match the wwe booking 8hrs a week. Me personally I’d say 3hrs is my top limit, spread out over two shows. I’m much more comfortable booking 1hr shows.</p><p> </p><p> If you find it exhausting then cut down the roster & tv time. The WWE has 16 writers + a roster of people coming up with character ideas. Don’t feel bad if you can’t keep up with that.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="skinsfan55" data-cite="skinsfan55" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is excellent advice for storytelling... but in the mechanics of the game, the more you have your workers wrestle the more they improve.<p> </p><p> It's one of the things I think is actually unlike real life. Of course workers really get better the more practice they have, but they work in training and house shows etc. Only in smaller companies do you need guys to get constant work on every event.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They still improve reasonably well with 1-2 matches a month and the promo time helps them build up those entertainment skills which is a big deal for your pop>perf feds.</p><p> </p><p> If you're running a perf>pop company, the six man tags are more important because your guys have to improve their in ring skills to put on big matches. In pop>perf companies, my upper midcard and main event guys are wrestling 2-3 times a month if I have a weekly TV show and one event a month. Having the "three feuds into one six man tag at the last TV show before the PPV" is a pretty easy way to build heats for feuds and not have to rack your brain for creative ideas. If you need to fill time in your show, backstage promos of different guys hyping the match should a staple of your shows as well.</p><p> </p><p> But don't listen to me, I walk away from the game for days at a time because I don't know if I should make my filler tag team match the 4th or 5th segment in my 3 hour show...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="sheepy" data-cite="sheepy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That’s what pre-shows are for. I treat these as practise matches bringing in guys who have no chance of making it onto tv for the established stars to defeat. Not necessarily dregs but Indy guys I don’t see having an interesting character for TV.<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I use this approach as well for the same reasons. I'd like to see a training centre added to the things companies can buy so that your wrestlers can improve in-ring without the need for wrestling every week as well.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="woody316" data-cite="woody316" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I use this approach as well for the same reasons. I'd like to see a training centre added to the things companies can buy so that your wrestlers can improve in-ring without the need for wrestling every week as well.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah I’d like that added. To be able to send guys away to work on things and not just send them to a developmental company. I mean guys like Brau Wyatt being off tv must have been sent away and told to work on things or is working on things when not on tv.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="skinsfan55" data-cite="skinsfan55" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is excellent advice for storytelling... but in the mechanics of the game, the more you have your workers wrestle the more they improve.<p> </p><p> It's one of the things I think is actually unlike real life. Of course workers really get better the more practice they have, but they work in training and house shows etc. Only in smaller companies do you need guys to get constant work on every event.</p></div></blockquote><p> <em>Yeah, he asked about creative burnout in WWE. Using guys too often burns the character out due to over use, and therefore your creative spark. In real life, it's over exposure at times. It's why Brock Lesnar was the hottest commodity in WWE when he first returned. He rarely showed up on TV, so when he did it was special.</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="SlickJonny" data-cite="SlickJonny" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Creative burnout is something I get hit with a lot doing a current day WWE save as my first one. My games been going on for a year and a half and I really enjoy the booking and storyline portion of TEW 2016 even if it’s slightly barebones. Lately my cure for burnout is doing something different that causes some rifts and freshens up the game world.<p> </p><p> Example: Originally 205 Live was a graveyard at the start of the save. It took me the better part of an in-game year to get it to an acceptable state, with Zack Sabre Jr leading the division into a new era. Most of the roster is 40-45 pop, with an exception to Roddy Strong and Austin Aries who have 50-55, and the Cruiserweight Champion ZSJ just hitting the 60s. A lot of the roster is floundering, so I’ve reactivated the European Championship to be unique to the 205 Live brand for the lower guys to fight for with a massive tournament to crown the champion. The resurrection of 205 Live was a lot of fun to experiment with and I’m introducing a “205 Takeover” type event since a lot of my fueds are catching steam.</p><p> </p><p> Other things I like to try out are continuous and intricate stories. I had Seth Rollins, the WWE Champion and gatekeeper of Smackdown Live betray his own brand to be with the Shield on RAW right around Survivor Series. Mr Money In The Bank Cesaro would be commissioned by Paige to cash in and save Smackdown, which he did. Sami Zayn is in the midst of an Authority storyline with HHH over his rigged Universal Title match.</p><p> </p><p> Overall since the current day WWE Roster is already massive, and I’ve released and signed since then, and some great talent STILL get lost in the shuffle. Sometimes a good few days or weeks away and watching some wrestling get me back into the mood to play it.</p></div></blockquote><p> <em>This sounds awesome! Would you, or have you ever written a diary?!</em></p><p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="sheepy" data-cite="sheepy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46359" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That’s what pre-shows are for. I treat these as practise matches bringing in guys who have no chance of making it onto tv for the established stars to defeat. Not necessarily dregs but Indy guys I don’t see having an interesting character for TV.<p> </p><p> Also, I’m amazed at how many people try to match the wwe booking 8hrs a week. Me personally I’d say 3hrs is my top limit, spread out over two shows. I’m much more comfortable booking 1hr shows.</p><p> </p><p> If you find it exhausting then cut down the roster & tv time. The WWE has 16 writers + a roster of people coming up with character ideas. Don’t feel bad if you can’t keep up with that.</p></div></blockquote><p> <em>Yes! Pre-Shows are there to develop skills. I use it for younger guys, new tag teams, etc. But AJ Styles doesn't need to improve his skills. John Cena doesn't. Randy Orton, etc. The list goes on. Their matches can be kept more special with limited appearances.</em></p><p><em> </em></p><p><em> </em></p>

Archived