Rating penalty / capped for short length

Apart from increasing the length of a match, what is the best way to overcome the above problem? on a 9/10 match card, surely you can't have all of them running at 20 mins plus...

The same goes with angles, I think the game expects all the angles to be 12 mins plus too.

You don't need all of your matches to have an A rating. I am not sure the lower limit for getting a B-grade, but I regularly book TV shows to have mostly 12 to 14-min matches and my upper-card regularly pulls B-rated matches. Then, I will do a 20-min main event that typically gets a B+ to an A.

As for angles, I am not sure what the minimum length is to get an A, but I typically have 9 minute angles for my main storylines and with the right guys they can get A*.

So, for a 10-match/120 minute show, you could do something like this:

Main Event Match - 20 (+2)

Main Event Storyline Angle - 9

Tag Team Match - 14 (+2)

International Match - 14 (+2)

International Storyline Angle - 5

Television Threeway Match - 12 (+2)

Squash match - 8 (+2)

Three versus Three Match - 12 (+4)

#1 Contender Fourway Match - 14 (+3)

That's 9 segments, 7 of which are segments, taking 125 minutes. You could use anywhere from 21 to 30 workers pretty easily in a single show with this setup. You could even sneak in another 5 to 9 minute angle by shaving off some time from the non main-event matches and your show would still pull a good grade.

It has to do with the push of the workers. The higher up they are the longer the fans expect to see them in a match. So not every match is 20 minutes, but the main events should be 16+ for the best possible match. Not to say they can't get a good match under it. But it will be better the longer it goes (as long as their skills hold up.)

It has to do with the lush of the workers. The higher up they are the longer the fans expect to see them in a match. So not every match is 20 minutes, but the main events should be 16+ for the best possible match. Not to say they can't get a good match under it. But it will be better the longer it goes (as long as their skills hold up.)

It’s 20 minutes, not 16

As for angles, I am not sure what the minimum length is to get an A, but I typically have 9 minute angles for my main storylines and with the right guys they can get A*.

Reasonably sure it's 6 minutes. Most of my TCW angles are 6 minutes and Jay Chord and Rocky Golden both get A*s virtually every time.

Angles are indeed 6 minutes

The match length penalty is scaled as well I believe, so if you’re slightly off it’s not as big of a deal as a 1 minute squash. Even saying that though, in most cases the other bonuses like momentum, gimmicks, etc are usually far more than the slight length penalty. It just takes some creativity to justify those shorter matches (if you truly have that many main event level stars).

I’ve found 18-22 minutes as the sweet spot personally for whatever reason. Even with A* psychology guys they usually do much better in 20 minute matches than 30.

I really don't like the 'short match' penalty. It can't really be broken through like most every other penalty in the game, which feels pretty arbitrary. You can slightly exceed the cap but you can't break it.

I feel like my midcard is stuck at perpetual Bs with no ability to get a surprise awesome contest unless I give them 20 mins. It distorts how good things could be and it leads to pretty stagnant match lengths because there's no point giving them more. Midcard? 10 mins is as good as 14, makes no difference.

It leads to this complete homogeneity in the midcard of TV shows especially. I know it's to prevent a 2 minute squash getting an A* like in older versions, but the existing cap is very stringent and makes booking feel restrictive, and as above, hugely reduces the opportunity for a wrestler to have a sudden breakout performance out of nowhere.

The handbook does have the exact length to grade:

53% (D-) for <5 mins

71% (C+) for <10 mins

77% (B-) for <15 mins

89% (B+) for <20 mins

6 mins is the cap remover for angles.

I make all of my angles 6 minutes and my main events on tv 12 to 16 minutes and the match penalty doesn’t ding my rating THAT much. Still get high 80s to low 90s for my shows depending on my promotion. Most of my other matches are sub-8 minutes and everyone gets over just fine.

I save the 20+ matches for Main Event of the PPV.

I enjoy reading how people put together their shows, it's always interesting to hear other people take on how things work.

My show grades aren't usually too bad, id 80's to low 90's MOST of the time. For TV, I have a 2 and a half hour show, I have 9-10 matches, one at 18-22 mins, one at about 15-17, the others anywhere between 4-12 (usually have a couple of squash matches). My angles can be from 4-10 mins, but I think after reading what I have here, I'll try to put a six minute minimum.

My PPVs are a little different, I have more time and try to have 2-3 matches that are 20+ mins.

EDIT: Minutes after writing this, achieved my highest match rating of 97 on TV. I have recently employed two new road agents with much better stats than my current ones. I think that may have had an influence?