Can you accurately simulate NJPW in current RW mods?

I've been toying with the idea of continuing Fleisch's RWC - if I got his and southside_hitman's permission anyway, at the moment it's just my own edits - and one of the things I would like to tackle is the way NJPW has enormous unchecked growth because of their inflated tag team match ratings and New Japan World.

Most people should agree they have the best collection of workers and the best pure wrestling product in the world, but the biggest problem is their 6 and 8 man tag matches that pull A or A+ ratings every night when they're on tour. This just doesn't reflect reality at all, that's not the purpose of those matches irl. Combine that with New Japan World and even with the coverage set to Tiny, they have huge growth worldwide within even just one year. Do we just chalk this up to a video game limitation or is there a way around this that mod makers smarter than me have come up with?

In TEW 2016 no, NJPW World broadcast around 100 - 200 events a year.

In TEW 2020, this should work more realistically because of the new event intent system.

If you are going to have NJPW World realistically broadcast every show that they do in real life then you will be able to set all of the 'Road to....' shows and 'Lions Gate Project', all of the tournament round shows etc. as 'lesser' shows and just have the finals and the main shows as normal.

To re-state and paraphrase you would need to rebalance the whole mod so that NJPW didn’t have such high match ratings.

Reducing top row stats would be the best way to do this, and also keep in mind most matches in WWE should be scripted and without spinal and head drop bumps.

Also keep in mind that match quality is not an indication on match rating, match rating also reflects heat which most NJPW matches should have less heat relative to the big American based promotions.

I tooled around with this a bit the last time I was doing a modern play through and saw how quickly New Japan became the most popular company in the world with many of their wrestlers more internationally popular than WWE guys. While this is like my dream world, it does seem like a lot of factors make this too easy for them. Running a performance heavy company with that roster and the touring set up (which I think had them running shows 11 months out of the year) allows the AI to just spam 5 star bangers. I had some success mitigating this by:

1) Shrinking the NJPW World foot print to tiny and scrapping whatever A show they had assigned in the editor.

2) I reduced their touring months and scheduled more annual events on their calendar. I added events for the opening and close of every tournament, some random big tour shows, etc. By cluttering up their schedule, I found the AI ran fewer touring shows and thus less shows overall. They were still OP, but I got slightly more realistic results this way.

3) I think I also capped them at National.

Anyway, like others have said, it sounds like this has all been addressed/overhauled in 2020!

In TEW 2016 no, NJPW World broadcast around 100 - 200 events a year.

In TEW 2020, this should work more realistically because of the new event intent system.

If you are going to have NJPW World realistically broadcast every show that they do in real life then you will be able to set all of the 'Road to....' shows and 'Lions Gate Project', all of the tournament round shows etc. as 'lesser' shows and just have the finals and the main shows as normal.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. Well, all the more reason to be excited for TEW 2020 I guess! Though I still wonder how it's going to solve the problem of the relatively meaningless 6- and 8-man tags that aren't really there to be great matches. I suspect the ratings will stay the same but at least if they're running 'lesser' shows they won't have as much impact on popularity.

Also keep in mind that match quality is not an indication on match rating, match rating also reflects heat which most NJPW matches should have less heat relative to the big American based promotions.

The problem with a full rebalance is it then becomes just as unrealistic as if they're pulling 99s for every random tag match. Their big matches are incredible and often reach fever pitch as far as heat goes.

I tooled around with this a bit the last time I was doing a modern play through and saw how quickly New Japan became the most popular company in the world with many of their wrestlers more internationally popular than WWE guys. While this is like my dream world, it does seem like a lot of factors make this too easy for them. Running a performance heavy company with that roster and the touring set up (which I think had them running shows 11 months out of the year) allows the AI to just spam 5 star bangers. I had some success mitigating this by:

1) Shrinking the NJPW World foot print to tiny and scrapping whatever A show they had assigned in the editor.

2) I reduced their touring months and scheduled more annual events on their calendar. I added events for the opening and close of every tournament, some random big tour shows, etc. By cluttering up their schedule, I found the AI ran fewer touring shows and thus less shows overall. They were still OP, but I got slightly more realistic results this way.

3) I think I also capped them at National.

Anyway, like others have said, it sounds like this has all been addressed/overhauled in 2020!

I tried the first option as well, but it seemed to only slightly slow the growth of the company and the workers will still gain popularity at more or less the same rate (with even midcarders hitting D or greater popularity, etc). Maybe the best way is to just give them no coverage in the US at all. It would be cool if you could cap the popularity of a company in different regions, because realistically I don't think NJPW are ever going to hit the big time in the US no matter how good the product is.

Most people should agree they have the best collection of workers and the best pure wrestling product in the world, but the biggest problem is their 6 and 8 man tag matches that pull A or A+ ratings every night when they're on tour. This just doesn't reflect reality at all, that's not the purpose of those matches irl.

I didn't play mods with real characters but had a lot of playtime with PGHW. I tried to simulate many aspects of NJPW's booking. My solution for the multitag matches and undercard matches was to reduce the % of match intensivity (or how it's named, don't have access to the game right now). Mostly due health concerns, but this in combination with different match aims (Storytelling what be fitting for a typicial Taguchi midcard match or Henare losing to Ishii again) could also affect your matchratings.