How is everyone coping?

Rone Rivendale

Dog Pound has been kinda dead lately, thought it might be a good idea to start up a thread where we can talk about how we are doing during this crisis.

I work at a grocery store and the last couple weeks have been CRAZY. The hoarding of TP you've seen on the news? It's real. They also bought up the Paper towels, bleach, sanitizer, flour, sugar, bread, milk.... I could go on.

I live in a small town of about 11k. We have 2, possibly 3 cases so far. All are in quarantine and no signs of it spreading. No deaths.

It's a weird situation, either people are panicking too much, or they are not giving a crap at all. If only we could find the right in-between to be safe but not dumb about it.

I've heard reports that people are even hoarding TP on the newest Fallout game. Yes, people are sometimes that crazy. It's up to the supermarkets to restrict customers from buying bulk items. But given some even promote it, it's hard not to see some sense to it.

But why hoard bread? That doesn't make any sense.

No deaths in my state. Very limited spread and seems like its the most populated areas. Maine is very rural but Cumberland county is an overcrowded area which is the hardest hit area where I live. Nothing in my county or any people around us but school is closed until April 27th, possibly the rest of the school year. For me, personally, this is an inconvenience and massive pain in the ass. My son was just starting to really get into a good rythm with school (he's in kindergarten). My wife and I both work in health care and we have to work, although I would still work regardless.

https://i.ibb.co/3hDdMfM/Annotation-2020-03-25-080941.jpg

I personally think those at higher-risk should be confined to their homes, everyone else should be able to live their lives freely. This COVID-19 spreads like strep throat and any other illness that sweeps through a community. Handwashing, covering your cough, staying home when sick. Those are all BASIC things that everyone should have been following before this even started. And I'd love for the news to actually report that COVID-19 doesn't actually kill anyone. It makes you sick, your immune system can't fight it and you get a bigger illness like the flu or pneumonia.

I personally think those at higher-risk should be confined to their homes, everyone else should be able to live their lives freely. This COVID-19 spreads like strep throat and any other illness that sweeps through a community. Handwashing, covering your cough, staying home when sick. Those are all BASIC things that everyone should have been following before this even started. And I'd love for the news to actually report that COVID-19 doesn't actually kill anyone. It makes you sick, your immune system can't fight it and you get a bigger illness like the flu or pneumonia.

I don't know. Sounds like a lot of people would get the wrong idea if they heard that. They'd read the first bit and go about their daily lives, going to concerts and not washing their hands. Which isn't going great for the UK so far. Numbers at getting bigger. A 21 year old with no (diagnosed) pre-existing conditions just died.

We're moving into enforced lockdown. Which for our government means "asking politely... but a little more firmly than before". My office (mental healthcare) closed on Monday, so I'm working from home and trying not to get distracted by my Nintendo Switch. Isolation is my default mode, so I'm fine.

I just went out for my weekly food shop. Mostly well stocked, but I couldn't get flour, beans, or the biscuits my wife likes. The staff were out in force. Customers were told to stay apart. No couples to shop together. One trolley per customer. Hazard lines at the checkout. Some oblivious soul on her phone stood right behind me as I was being rung up, and the cashier yelled at her. I had fun. I live in a city which has had quite a few cases (and I think one death) so far. I believe that densely packed areas should over-react now so we aren't under-prepared later. If it's not essential for you to be outside, get out of the way so important people can get a handle on this. I'm not essential, so I'm getting out of the way.

My wife works in a pharmacy, so she's working overtime right now. This was supposed to be her day off, but two people called in sick, so she's having to step in. I fully expect her to get it at some point, and I'll be right after her. That pharmacy is struggling under the pressure, and I doubt it's the only one.